AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I dont like skyborne slayer. The units are all bad compared to sacrosant units. Evocators are much better than Paladins, Sequitors are much better than Liberators and Lord Celestant is not good anymore. Its only my oppinion. Also you have to add some wizards or you dont have any bann rolls. In Sacrosant Army you have bann rolls from Evocators and your Arkanum General at least. I think against a well rounded Sacrosant list competitively, skyborne will fail hard.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

Hey there,

New to stormcast and looking for advice. My first army was a 1300 pt mishmash of Seraphon, but I've never played at 2k pts before. After getting the stormcast 1/2 of soul wars, I'm fairly certain I want to build toward the following army core:

240 Lord Arcanum on GC (general)

240 Lord Arcanum on CD

400 20 Sequitors

120 5 Sequitors

200 5 Evocators

300 3 Evo Thundercats

120 Cleansing Phalanx

1620 pts 94 wounds 1 extra cp

I'm at a loss for what to do with the final 380 pts. I need to include 1 battleline, but otherwise it could be anything. I'll probably start with a Knight Incantor, 3 Castigators and 5 Judicators, since I have the models, but that seems a bit unfocused. I have a few ideas for the final chunk of the force, but could use some advice from ppl who have actually played at the higher pt totals. Here's the 3 ideas I've been kicking around, but I'm open to completely different suggestions too.

Lane Blocking: (might be weak to flying but can otherwise drop down from the sky to block off major areas of the board with bodies and the Lord's defensive buff)

100 Lord Castellant

200 2x5 Liberators

60 10 Skinks (allies)

20 Soul Snare Shackles

Shooting Support: (I've heard shooting is worse in 2.0, but archers still seem like the only way to camp an objective and still contribute to the main fight)

120 1 Knight Venator

160 5 Judicators

100 3 Prosecutor Javs or a celestar ballista

The Comet:

140 Knight Incantor

100 Everblaze Comet

120 5 Sequitors

Any advice/help on the best way to spend 380 pts in SCE would be much appreciated. I'm hoping for a list hard enough to go to a tournament and feel like I have a chance in every game, but I'm a casual/social gamer at heart so I need something that won't make anyone salty at the FLGS.

19 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I dont like skyborne slayer. The units are all bad compared to sacrosant units. Evocators are much better than Paladins, Sequitors are much better than Liberators and Lord Celestant is not good anymore. Its only my oppinion. Also you have to add some wizards or you dont have any bann rolls. In Sacrosant Army you have bann rolls from Evocators and your Arkanum General at least. I think against a well rounded Sacrosant list competitively, skyborne will fail hard.

Be careful on who you call ugly.

Sure the new toys shine better, but having a 1500+ points bataillon with 5" teleport is nothing to mock. You might have better units elsewhere but those ones are still delivering a batch of mortal wounds the way you like it. Plus you now have a reliable scion of the storm to teleport more support heros like a vex or else.

And unlike paladins, evocators loose power for every models dying.  Paladins don't really die until you remove a starsoul mace. 

Nerfed or not, those are still a thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tested out a longstrike list now that Anvils command ability has been FAQ'd to be reasonable?  I was thinking 12 longstrikes in an Anvils army with celestial blades, bless weapons, and the Knight Azyros reroll hits of 1 would be pretty nasty, although probably not much fun to play against.  Get lucky on the rolls and you'll deal a bunch of mortal wounds at 30", and even if you don't the base rend and damage will give most things a bad time.  

2 minutes ago, Lexalopolis said:

Has anyone tested out a longstrike list now that Anvils command ability has been FAQ'd to be reasonable?  I was thinking 12 longstrikes in an Anvils army with celestial blades, bless weapons, and the Knight Azyros reroll hits of 1 would be pretty nasty, although probably not much fun to play against.  Get lucky on the rolls and you'll deal a bunch of mortal wounds at 30", and even if you don't the base rend and damage will give most things a bad time.  

Celestial Blades is only for close combat weapons though.

Everyone seems to be using Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost for missile-centric lists. To me it seems just as tempting to save up a command point or two and blow it on a unit of 10 Evocators AND a unit of 20 Sequitors.

Celestial Lightning Arc x2 is just horrifying, and the Sequitors' 9 Grandmaces should rack up huge amounts of damage with all their rerolls etc.

I think I'll try this a few times and just let Ballistas try their luck as my sole shooting (dropping out of Azyr).

55 minutes ago, Roark said:

Everyone seems to be using Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost for missile-centric lists. To me it seems just as tempting to save up a command point or two and blow it on a unit of 10 Evocators AND a unit of 20 Sequitors.

Celestial Lightning Arc x2 is just horrifying, and the Sequitors' 9 Grandmaces should rack up huge amounts of damage with all their rerolls etc.

I think I'll try this a few times and just let Ballistas try their luck as my sole shooting (dropping out of Azyr).

Had the same ideas. But i feel like without Hammers of Sigmar + Gavriel theres no way to deliver that evocators or Sequitors. 9“ charge is not reliable. Is there any way to push that charges without using gavriel or coggs?

3 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

The celestant is actually better now, at least in the context of the skyborne slayers.

Before, his command ability was used in the hero phase, so you didn't have it after deepstriking. Now, you need to be in melee (not a problem : i want him to go here, and it's less risky for him than before), but you can use it in your combat phase, meaning that, unlike before, i WILL have this +1 to hit the turn i arrive. The limited range is not a problem, since i deepstrike only 15 paladins

The sacrosanct units are better than the old one, sure, but my skyborne slayers took a offensive buff (+1 to hit useable during the turn in deepstrike) AND  a defensive buff (-1 to hit me the turn i deepstrike), while buffing protectors and having a reduced point cost. I couldn't ask for more

Edited by ledha
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Roark said:

Yeah... I've been thinking of super strange lists (as I am wont to do) taking Sequitors to the max and anvils is in the calculus.  Check this.

Stormhost: Anvils

Lord Arcanum on Foot, general (180)

Lord Castellant (100)

Lord Castellant (100)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

Total (1980)

Wounds 178

Yes this is a Stormcast list with 178 wounds.

Now this is what I call a cleansing phalanx.

• Like 2

Anyone having troubles using 20 Sequitors well? I've only tried it a couple of games, but both times my opponent would park units to the side/rear and absolutely ****** up my pileins, forcing me to stretch in different directions. I know I can't reasonably expect to bring 20 of those bases to bear on any single target, but a lot of the unit is tied up stretching between the two fights. Clever play by my opponents, or my mistake? Any experience would be helpful.

3 hours ago, Lexalopolis said:

It's okay, but honestly not that big of a deal. Anything with any kind of speed is going to close you down pretty quick and between the buff heroes and the unit you're looking at almost half of your army invested in one unit, not to mention all of your command points. The unit will do about 20 wounds per turn(slightly more with the azyros reroll) across both shots to a 4+ save. I think with all the knighthaunts and TPs bouncing around it'll be very risky.

47 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Yeah... I've been thinking of super strange lists (as I am wont to do) taking Sequitors to the max and anvils is in the calculus.  Check this.

Stormhost: Anvils

Lord Arcanum on Foot, general (180)

Lord Castellant (100)

Lord Castellant (100)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

20 Sequitors (400)

Total (1980)

Wounds 178

Yes this is a Stormcast list with 178 wounds.

Now this is what I call a cleansing phalanx.

Bravery is going to be a ****** against anything that can counter punch the original hit, but otherwise this is right around what I thought the most competitive Stormcasts lists would be.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Had the same ideas. But i feel like without Hammers of Sigmar + Gavriel theres no way to deliver that evocators or Sequitors. 9“ charge is not reliable. Is there any way to push that charges without using gavriel or coggs?

Gav is great, but why can't we use Cogs and either Lightning Speed or Vexillor?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

Anyone having troubles using 20 Sequitors well? I've only tried it a couple of games, but both times my opponent would park units to the side/rear and absolutely ****** up my pileins, forcing me to stretch in different directions. I know I can't reasonably expect to bring 20 of those bases to bear on any single target, but a lot of the unit is tied up stretching between the two fights. Clever play by my opponents, or my mistake? Any experience would be helpful.

That's why I don't like big blobs of 40 mm infantry. Too unwieldy and easy to be led by the nose. It's a bit like the Roman legions in Cannas: if you can't bring to bear all your power in the front due to a deep formation, the opponent can attack you from the flanks and rear and make it go to waste.

Even if in Sequitor blobs the power is concentrated in the 9 greatmauls, those will be at the front, they can be easily locked by chaff and be left out of the real fight (a charging elite hammer).

Edit:

Let's try once again with this list :)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm 
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline(240)
- General
- Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty 
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Tempest Lords to aim for 3-4 CPs first turn, burn them in Dracolines alpha strike (run 6 + Heraldor buff) and Palladors flanking for a double punch (points beyond 2  go to Pack Alpha and TLords CA). Mystic shield and Warding Lantern can either go to the Palladors, the Dracolines or one for each.

All the infantry units go into Scions and react to the changing flow of the battle (including objectives).

Edited by DanielFM
  • Like 1

So I am a brand new player in Warhammer. I have read a lot of the books and played the games ( blood bowl actually introduced me to the franchise way back when ) I finally decided to take the plunge and find a new hobby!

I picked up my first box the day Soul Wars released. I was a little hesitant on the soul wars starter box because of the price and me not really knowing exactly what I was doing or if I would even enjoy this so I grabbed the Start Collecting Vanguard! set as my first. Well let's just say I was hooked the second I started gluing those models together and painting them. I grabbed the Vanguard set because while talking with the guys at the shop and doing my own little research I had read the Vanguard box was quite complete in the way that the units it fields are all useable, no odd numbers.

Couple of weeks later my wife bought me the Tempest of Souls box which I went back with and got the souls wars box because I was going to buy the book anyways and I'm completely addicted.

So now I'm at a little bit of a crossroads and I'm not sure which way to go. I'd like to start playing soon and I know I'm not going to a hardcore competition but I would still like to be somewhat viable. With what I've read Vanguard seems to be outdated and falling behind compared to the new Sequitors and Evocators. I love my Vanguard models they are my first paints and I feel like I did a good job on them. I like their style but I also want to be realistic and make sure the first army I spend this much time and money on is going to be atleast a viable option to win against some common match ups.

I was checking out Vanguard style builds and came to a conclusion that something like

Allegiance: Order

Leaders

Lord-Aquilor (200) General

Lord-Relictor (100)
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Knight-Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Battalions
Blacktalon's Shadowhammers (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

Or with something that seems more conventional these days and going for a 20 stack of sequitors with 10 evocators  lord Arcanum ect.

I realize this is a personal preference type of deal but since I am brand new and absolutely do not have a firm grasp on rules or tactics / army comps I feel like some c/c would be quite good for me.  Anything can help right now and I want to thank you all in advance and say sorry for such a long first post here!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Prexxus said:

I feel like some c/c would be quite good for me. 

I think it might be worthwhile combining your Palladors to make the most of the Shadowhammers battalion ability. I think in units of 6 they are much more difficult to put down or ignore. 30 wounds-worth of fast shooty guys in the enemy backfield  can really mess things up. But test your lists and play a few games and have fun with it. I think all the crazy teleportation that the Aquilor provides takes some practice to master...

I also reckon don't get too hung up on the new shiny stuff like masses of Sequitors. After all, you can always add them later. If you really feel like you're missing out, just get some super cheap split box deals on eBay.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, Galamund said:

They should be 180pts, or should be 3+ save and 3 attacks at 220. It's tragic since I have 10 beautifully painted ones sitting on the shelf, as I am sure most of us do too.

Careful I was dragged for suggesting Paladins get a 3+ save for having heavier armor/being elite. 

32 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Had my 2nd game yesterday and I think I won because I killed all my opponents heros and he had 0 VP and BP said you need heros for capturing ? but he would have tabled me if we had continued.

That’s kinda sad tbh.

Why do you feel that's sad? 

Just now, schwabbele said:

Because , i couldn’t see me winning without objectives. If he had just 1 hero more - game over. 

Yeah but that's the point. Objectives are there to make it interesting. To win the game you had to stop your opponent scoring so you played the mission and took out his ability to win. I've just played a game where after turn 2 all I had was a wounded prime and 6 Castigators. I won becuse I played the objectives and got quite lucky. If it had been kill points it would have been over quickly and alot less fun for everyone