AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 hours ago, Requizen said:

Is the easy-build box the only way to get Castigators outside of Soul Wars? So you have monopose and have to convert every Prime into a regular Castigator?

I honestly think you're best off buying the Soul Wars ones 2nd hand, it'll be cheaper even if you discard all the Primes you get.

They're making some weird decisions with Sacrosanct kit designs, no Grand Mace option in the Sequitor Prime box, building heroes out of bits in both Evocator boxes leaving you without matched play sized units, the Arcanum on foot only available as a bundle with a centre-piece special character.

47 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Which one does average more damage?

Grandhammer does on average 2.66666 before saves with a chance of them being mortals. And it has Rend -1.

Twin Hammers do 2 damage before saves but with potential to do  D3 extra mortals

*Cue thin-skinned drama queen tantrum*

What's so bad about my contributions that they get systematically ignored lately by you fellas? ?

I think I will be trying that new Bolter and Chainsword AoS spin-off, I saw no need for it at first, but maybe (hopefully) I will find more interaction there.

39 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I honestly think you're best off buying the Soul Wars ones 2nd hand, it'll be cheaper even if you discard all the Primes you get.

They're making some weird decisions with Sacrosanct kit designs, no Grand Mace option in the Sequitor Prime box, building heroes out of bits in both Evocator boxes leaving you without matched play sized units, the Arcanum on foot only available as a bundle with a centre-piece special character.

I don't think anyone cares if you use Solbright or Firestrike as generic versions of the Heroes, though. 

16 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

*Cue thin-skinned drama queen tantrum*

What's so bad about my contributions that they get systematically ignored lately by you fellas? ?

I think I will be trying that new Bolter and Chainsword AoS spin-off, I saw no need for it at first, but maybe (hopefully) I will find more interaction there.

Ok, bye? Lots of stuff gets passed over. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

TBH if you buy soul wars and those kits you either don't need another knight-incantor or you can build the knight incantor and the 3 evocators in SW can fill the unit back up. Not that it makes it less cheeky of GW to do it, but it works ok!

16 hours ago, DanielFM said:

What spell would you choose for a Lord Arcanum on Dracoline supporting an Evocators on Dracoline unit (see my previous list as an example)?

He already has a defensive spell (Mystic shield) and a mid-range offensive spell (Prime Electrids Arcane Bolt), so I don't know if the third spell should be offensive or a buff.

To support dracolines I'd probably take Lightning Blast or Lightning Storm for some long-range offensive power since the Dracolines can already take Speed of Lightning or Terrifying Aspect.

• Like 1

So guys heres my final 2k list, i will test it on the weekend.  Feel free for critisize.Still dont know which spells to go for. Any tips?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Hammers of Sigmar

Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(240)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: None
5 x Evocators (200)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Edited by Erdemo86

1 hour ago, mystycalchemy said:

To support dracolines I'd probably take Lightning Blast or Lightning Storm for some long-range offensive power since the Dracolines can already take Speed of Lightning or Terrifying Aspect.

I don't really like Lightning Blast because it's basically a long range Arcane Bolt, and the LAoDracoline will be close to the enemy early in the game. However, Stormcaller is attractive because it can soften enemy heroes. Together with shooting it can finish them before they contribute.

52 minutes ago, AdamR said:

What about Thundershock if you are getting into the enemy. Not great vs a solo unit, but if there are a few units close together the chance of multiple -1 to hit debuffs would be good I think. 

I was actually siding toward this one! Once you are stuck it can affect more than one enemy unit, and with a bit of luck trigger at least on one. 

Nice advice, thanks guys. I'm sorry for the previous post, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek anyway :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Now that we get to it, the spell lores are something I've kind of been setting aside and not thinking much about.  Are there any obvious standouts?

Lightning Blast and Thundershock are my picks, but the problem is as almost all of our wizards only cast one spell, it'll usually be their warscroll one, mystic shield, arcane bolt for LA's or the comet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Lightning Blast and Thundershock are my picks, but the problem is as almost all of our wizards only cast one spell, it'll usually be their warscroll one, mystic shield, arcane bolt for LA's or the comet.

That's sort of what I've been thinking.  You need to get to 3 or 4 wizards before you even start looking off-scroll for spells most of the time.

11 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Now that we get to it, the spell lores are something I've kind of been setting aside and not thinking much about.  Are there any obvious standouts?

Azyrite Halo is excellent on a Stardrake or blob of Sequitors/Liberators. The +1 to wound and reroll charge spells from the smaller table are also quite useful overall.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

So guys heres my final 2k list, i will test it on the weekend.  Feel free for critisize.Still dont know which spells to go for. Any tips?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Hammers of Sigmar

Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(240)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200)
5 x Evocators (200)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

I think this is a very well rounded list.  No matchups that are too hard or too easy.  My only suggestion is to drop the cogs and Geminids for command points.  You have no way to reliably cast them and it makes your list less likely to be able to do a turn 1 alpha strike if your opponent makes a deployment mistake.  With a pile of command points you can really punish your opponent for leaving any gaps in their screens.  Nobody expects an 18" charge and it can be devastating.  

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

Stormcaller: because it's super fun to cast (I probably won't take it competitively).  It's not very effective against Death Armies though since they can just regenerate all the models they lose.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Stormcaller: because it's super fun to cast (I probably won't take it competitively).  It's not very effective against Death Armies though since they can just regenerate all the models they lose.  

Also my favorite - just because it's so satisfying when it takes out a weapon team or support hero. I've also used it to try softening something up to determine if it's ripe for a Heraldor drop from Scions (sometimes a suicide mission). Good fun, and you can park the caster anywhere!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I think this is a very well rounded list.  No matchups that are too hard or too easy.  My only suggestion is to drop the cogs and Geminids for command points.  You have no way to reliably cast them and it makes your list less likely to be able to do a turn 1 alpha strike if your opponent makes a deployment mistake.  With a pile of command points you can really punish your opponent for leaving any gaps in their screens.  Nobody expects an 18" charge and it can be devastating.  

Thought about cutting coggs and buying one command point. 

40 minutes ago, Kuma said:

I know paladins are not Vogue anymore, but I got a box to build, what ones are the best now adays, was thinking Axemen for the new blob meta

I would say Protectors. They do something unique (unlike the other Paladins) and work great acting as a screen for characters or shooting units coming from Scions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I would say Protectors. They do something unique (unlike the other Paladins) and work great acting as a screen for characters or shooting units coming from Scions.

I agree with this.  Decimators are cool on paper but fall flat really hard when there's not a horde to decimate.

• Like 2

I've managed to get 2 lots of 3 Evocators from soul wars & a multipart kit. So if you were me what would you do. 

1) Keep the 3 Soul wars models as is & use the box to make 2 grandstave models to boost each unit to 5 models & use the spare to build an incantor

2) As per option 1 but instead don't build the incantor. Build a new prime instead from the box set to make the units look more unique ( meaning I don't use one of the soul wars primes)

3) Combine all the models to make 1 unit of 10. Drop one soul wars prime & build the multipart kit with 5 regular models all with Grandstaves