AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/6/2018 at 2:47 PM, Freejack02 said:

Yeah, I suppose you would need to define "buffed". A soulstrike brotherhood that goes all in on Castigators could also drop down turn 1 and delete him, but idk what battalion/synergy tricks he has up his sleeves (can he shrug off wounds to nearby Morghasts?).  It's possible, but would require some luck. 

And a Death player completely oblivious to what’s coming... most people playing Nagash are taking max units of skeletons, chainwraiths or zombies. The footprint is huge. Even with an 18” range it’s difficult to get anything of quantity in range.

16 hours ago, Roark said:

I'm new to Stormcast, and this thread/community, but really impressed with the acuity, analysis and attitude of the vets. Also very impressed by the army's versatility and quality. Really easy to build and deploy a list that enjoys 3+ or better, and/or dishes out heaps of mortal wounds at range (and spells and effects with infinite range!).

I've got the models for, and have started assembling, this list. Hoping to take it to the biggest Aussie tournament in January. Any criticisms welcome of course:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Stormcaller
Knight-Heraldor (100)
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
2 x Fulminators (240)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

Not huge fan of the comet, tbh. Stormcast really have to maximize their value as much as they can and don't really have 100pts to spare on a 'maybe' unit. Also, the fulminators don't really add anything. Now that they lost their good breath attack they're firmly in the overpriced category and in this specific case don't really do anything for you. Drop both of those and bump the sequitors up to 20. After that add a Castellant and Chronomatic Cogs.

Edited by Fred1245
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

And a Death player completely oblivious to what’s coming... most people playing Nagash are taking max units of skeletons, chainwraiths or zombies. The footprint is huge. Even with an 18” range it’s difficult to get anything of quantity in range.

Also, when he says 'All in on Castigators' that means All in on Castigators. It would take almost 36 castigators, even in Soulstrike, to reliably kill Nagash in one shot through his CA. At this point you're committed to fielding a Lord Aquilor just to make a legal list. After the combo you'd be left with around 280pts to battle the rest of his army with.

25 minutes ago, Fred1245 said:

Also, when he says 'All in on Castigators' that means All in on Castigators. It would take almost 36 castigators, even in Soulstrike, to reliably kill Nagash in one shot through his CA. At this point you're committed to fielding a Lord Aquilor just to make a legal list. After the combo you'd be left with around 280pts to battle the rest of his army with.

True, it takes nearly 1000 points of Castigators to bring down Nagash - but it would be worthwhile (assuming you weren't screened out and succeeded in killing him) - then he's dead and you aren't. You still have your whole army to compete with; granted in a more-vulnerable-than-desired position. If you can avoid the screens and bring everything to bear on him turn 1, I imagine it would be an easy win from there. 

Edited by Freejack02

8 hours ago, DanielFM said:

I was planning on using a Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, I liked the model (maybe with some conversion work) and the general concept. But the price tag was the first slap in the face, and the comparison with similar models just made it worse.

Sorcerer Lord on Manticore-200 points/ +2 wounds, -1 spell

Battlemage on Griffon-240 points/ +2 wounds, -1 spell

Archmage on Dragon-320 points/ +4 wounds, -1 spell but +1 unbind

Arkhan the Black-320 points/ +1 wounds, same spells, +1 unbind, way better caster.

They are either way cheaper or tougher. The only thing the LAoT has over the others are some flashy special rules and an extra spell (except Arkhan). 

I know GW drove themselves into a corner with the price of the other Lords Arcanums (240 points for the 7 wounds ones), but 340 for what it brings is clearly too much.

I will miss those two casts per turns, though ☹️

sure, they have more wounds, but the 3+ save REALLY make the Tauralon tougher, even more in a army with ton of bonus to save or heal (he even can have a invulnerable save with his mount trait, making him way more resilient. Having +1 spell is very good in this edition, too, so only arkhan is a better caster, but the tauralon is way tougher and better in melee, with lot of support for the rest of the army.

The problem of the lord on tauralon is that Avenstrike cost 20 pts more but is WAY BETTER than him. 

I came up with something thinking on a Evocators on Dracoline ground Alpha + Vanguard Palladors Alpha. I don't think it's an optimized list for tournaments but could work surprisingly well.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm 
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline(240)
- General
- Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty 
- Spell: Speed of Lightning
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 2x Grandstaves
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Tempest Lords to get a chance to start the game with 3 CPs, then Warding Lantern+Onward to Glory+run 6"+ Pack Alpha the Evocators on Dracoline (auto buffed with Empower) and teleport the Vanguard Palladors buffed with Speed or Lightning (or Mystic Shield) together with the Lord Aquilor.

If any CPs are refunded I can spend them on extra Pack Alpha CAs, Tempest Lords CA on Palladors, or charge rerolls for the Scions section (Sequitors, Sequitors, Evocators).

The Heraldor carries the Thermalrider cloack to keep up with the Usain Bolt EvoDracolines and be able to Onwards to Glory them in the second turn (retreat and charge).

Maybe the spells could be changed but I'm quite happy with the rest of the list.

7 minutes ago, ledha said:

sure, they have more wounds, but the 3+ save REALLY make the Tauralon tougher, even more in a army with ton of bonus to save or heal (he even can have a invulnerable save with his mount trait, making him way more resilient. Having +1 spell is very good in this edition, too, so only arkhan is a better caster, but the tauralon is way tougher and better in melee, with lot of support for the rest of the army.

The problem of the lord on tauralon is that Avenstrike cost 20 pts more but is WAY BETTER than him. 

Against MWs that 3+ save means nothing. I know nowadays people fear them less with Ignax Scales, but a MW focus can destroy a LAoT in a blink of an eye. +4 wounds mean 2 extra spells/generic 1d3 MW sources to kill.

Arkhan trades -1 save for +1 wound, is a way better caster (who brings any of them for CC?), a better force multiplier (heals several units, better command ability, the LAoT shooting buff is difficult to use in practice) and even faster!

Yeah, Aventis is way closer to its right point cost. Problem, once again, is the Hammers tax. 

16 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I am a little comfused,

if I take Aventisas my general and want to have hammers of sigmar as my stormhost do I need another lord arcanum just to place the command trait on him ? 

You don't have any command trait, so it's better to let the lord arcanum be your general

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

You don't have any command trait, so it's better to let the lord arcanum be your general

The “we cannot fail” is a command trait of the stormhost ok ? So Aventis is a named character and he can’t take it am I right ? Or I am a total noob and I don’t see how I can do it :)

4 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Correct. It's one of the half baked things of the Hammers of Sigmar stormhost rules - they've got all these heroes, but if you use one as your general you miss out on the Hammers command trait.

Yeah that’s the thing ... I must use another one as a general just to have the benefits :( 

was hoping there was a small window to pull something without another one but ....

25 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Neave Blacktalon: 120p. I see her as a nice hero ninja sniper. More of this, if you pair her with a pallador unit, you got for 320p some heavy backdoor hitter.

I'm surprised not to see her more often on the battlefield 9_9

She is a pure CC hero with no synergies or buffs, which is only good at killing heroes and which needs a delivery system and even then can't charge the turn she does so. It's far too niche when 120 buy you a Vexillor, a Heraldor, a Relictor or even a Venator, which do a lot more.

------

No comments on my list above? I thought I had come with something interesting ?

2 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

She is a pure CC hero with no synergies or buffs, which is only good at killing heroes and which needs a delivery system and even then can't charge the turn she does so. It's far too niche when 120 buy you a Vexillor, a Heraldor, a Relictor or even a Venator, which do a lot more.

------

No comments on my list above? I thought I had come with something interesting ?

I used Neave as a staple in my list until the new battletome. She worked extremely well as a 2nd next to my general. Basically I’d use her as a retribution model against people who charged into my main hero.  Now that she doesn’t generate extra attacks, she’s still ok but not nearly as good as she was.

23 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I can't find the blade of symmetry. Where is it from?

Malign Sorcery -Weapons of Hysh

14 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Seems like a waste of an artifact choice.

You won't be saying that when she cuts your face off!

It's the spare artefact from taking a battalion. The main one was Lens of Refraction pre nerf-bomb!

Trying to put together a 1000 point list for my first SCE army.  I saw this from a previous thread/comment but can't seem to think of anything better:
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
Quicksilver Swords (20) (or Shackles)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 62

Do you guys think there's a better 1000 list out there? I was also considering switching the LAoGC with Astreia Solbright and Gavriel with a Lord-Relictor or Knight-Incantor and focusing less on the deep strike strategy.

18 hours ago, DanielFM said:

I was planning on using a Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, I liked the model (maybe with some conversion work) and the general concept. But the price tag was the first slap in the face, and the comparison with similar models just made it worse.

Sorcerer Lord on Manticore-200 points/ +2 wounds, -1 spell

Battlemage on Griffon-240 points/ +2 wounds, -1 spell

Archmage on Dragon-320 points/ +4 wounds, -1 spell but +1 unbind

Arkhan the Black-320 points/ +1 wounds, same spells, +1 unbind, way better caster.

They are either way cheaper or tougher. The only thing the LAoT has over the others are some flashy special rules and an extra spell (except Arkhan). 

I know GW drove themselves into a corner with the price of the other Lords Arcanums (240 points for the 7 wounds ones), but 340 for what it brings is clearly too much.

I will miss those two casts per turns, though ☹️

He is almost on a 3+ save, which none of those other options you listed are.

15 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

He is almost on a 3+ save, which none of those other options you listed are.

Plus Staunch Defender, plus Steel Pinons for the 6+ Ward Save, plus all the other Synergies that Stormcast have (Castellant Lantern, healing sources, defensive Artifacts, Protectors, etc). Two of the four examples don't even have aBattletome or spell lists (Sorc on Manticore can get them in DoT/MoN/BoK but not in Slaves).

• Like 1