AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Is anyone else here kind of annoyed, that the Lord Arcanum with the best Command Ability is the one with the thematically least fitting mount?

I‘m off course talking about the Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger and strictly from a fluff perspective. The model is good & Ride the Wind fits the Lord Arcanum‘s playstyle well.

• Like 1

Torn between the following as a heavier hitting element of a 2k list if anyone has any tips:

2 x 10 Evocators 

OR

2 x 3 Dracoline Evocators and 1 x 2 Fulminators

The latter has alot more manueverability but unsure if it makes up for the comparative hitting power of the evocators. The list will have a lord castellant and a lord arcanum on dracoline to boost.

I got the sequitor multi-part box and it doesn't look like i can't build a prime with a great mace out of it?  think i can just use one of the non-helmet heads and call that the prime?

Edited by Klak

44 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Torn between the following as a heavier hitting element of a 2k list if anyone has any tips:

2 x 10 Evocators 

OR

2 x 3 Dracoline Evocators and 1 x 2 Fulminators

The latter has alot more manueverability but unsure if it makes up for the comparative hitting power of the evocators. The list will have a lord castellant and a lord arcanum on dracoline to boost.

I think it depends on a number of factors.  Is the list you're building the Stormhost that lady Olynder trapped in a reflection? If so, I  think that rank upon rank of infantry with their tormented aspects would be visually terrifying and effective competitively.

A bunch of cavalry, especially dragon cats, is cool and fun to play though...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rachmani said:

Is anyone else here kind of annoyed, that the Lord Arcanum with the best Command Ability is the one with the thematically least fitting mount

What do you mean mate? Sorry, I'm not really deep into Stormcast fluff yet, but what's un-thematic about the Gryph-charger?

51 minutes ago, Roark said:

What do you mean mate? Sorry, I'm not really deep into Stormcast fluff yet, but what's un-thematic about the Gryph-charger?

I‘m talking about the fact that the whole Sacrosanct Chamber is thematically built around Dracolines & the Tauralon - but the guy with the best command Ability (who also has a pretty potent spell) rides a Gryph Charger.

The Gryph Charger on the other hand is the mount of choice for the Vanguard. But the command ability of the Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger doesn’t affect Vanguard units. It‘s instead specifically for Sacrosanct Chamber Units. 

It‘s a bit as if there was a Lord Celestant with a potent command ability that affects the whole Dracothian Guard. Except he neither rides a Dracoth nor a Star Drake but an „Angry Moa“ that completely breaks with the visuals of the rest of your army.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I‘m talking about the fact that the whole Sacrosanct Chamber is thematically built around Dracolines & the Tauralon - but the guy with the best command Ability (who also has a pretty potent spell) rides a Gryph Charger.

The Gryph Charger on the other hand is the mount of choice for the Vanguard. But the command ability of the Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger doesn’t affect Vanguard units. It‘s instead specifically for Sacrosanct Chamber Units. 

It‘s a bit as if there was a Lord Celestant with a potent command ability that affects the whole Dracothian Guard. Except he neither rides a Dracoth nor a Star Drake but an „Angry Moa“ that completely breaks with the visuals of the rest of your army.  

Solbright has a better version of the command ability and is cheaper but has a worse spell and is limited to hammers only. 

1 minute ago, aceytrixx said:

Solbright has a better version of the command ability and is cheaper but has a worse spell and is limited to hammers only. 

Exactly. And if she wasn‘t Hammers only, I‘d be ok with that. But as it is it feels just a tad wrong to auto-include the Gryph Charger Dude.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

Exactly. And if she wasn‘t Hammers only, I‘d be ok with that. But as it is it feels just a tad wrong to auto-include the Gryph Charger Dude.

Even as a hammers player who will be using her and Aventis (love the lore of Hammerhal and it was my fee city in the firestorm campaign I was in) I think they should have given some other stormhosts named characters instead of them all being Hammers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aceytrixx said:

Even as a hammers player who will be using her and Aventis (love the lore of Hammerhal and it was my fee city in the firestorm campaign I was in) I think they should have given some other stormhosts named characters instead of them all being Hammers. 

I agree. Creating those two while guys like Grymn, Gardus, Diomar or Syrrocco exist since the beginning of AOS made me mad

12 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I think it depends on a number of factors.  Is the list you're building the Stormhost that lady Olynder trapped in a reflection? If so, I  think that rank upon rank of infantry with their tormented aspects would be visually terrifying and effective competitively.

A bunch of cavalry, especially dragon cats, is cool and fun to play though...

PLanning to intersperse the Cawdor hooded head for the Sacrosanct members of my Host as they have only recently departed the relative safety of Azyr, so are fewer reforges into their extended life and arent quite as hollow looking as their kin. But yes it is for the Haunted looking chamber.

The Evocators on foot look like fantastic kits, and 20 of them over 6 cats and 2 dracolines does seem like theyd be particularly savage

Hey all - new to AoS and currently looking at army options...

With all the support they've had it seems like Sigmarines could put together a pretty crazy shooting-based army...?

How would you go about this and would it be effective? Basically I wouldn't include a unit unless it had a ranged attack :D

I'm guessing Ordinators and some Ironweld or other war-machines for allies a must?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, schwabbele said:

I wonder if the knight-venator is a good choice? Or should I pack a unit judicators instead?

I would say he isn't. Outside of the one-use Starfated Arrow, he doesn't shoot any better that 3 Javelin Prosecutors.

There is a trick to turn him into a nuclear ICBM, but it's risky. Blessed Weapons prayer (works on a 4+), Luckstone to turn the to hit dice on a 6, and you get two Starfated Arrow hits for a maximum of 18 wounds. Is it worth it? I don't know. But it's sure flashy as heck :D

4 hours ago, aceytrixx said:

Yeah, if it wasn't for my extreme hatred against Hammers of Sigmar she would be an auto-include!

Edit:

So first Stormcast army in Blackout was 27. Should we doom and gloom already? Can you think of any theories for our bad performance?

Edited by DanielFM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Hey all - new to AoS and currently looking at army options...

With all the support they've had it seems like Sigmarines could put together a pretty crazy shooting-based army...?

How would you go about this and would it be effective? Basically I wouldn't include a unit unless it had a ranged attack :D

I'm guessing Ordinators and some Ironweld or other war-machines for allies a must?

I think if you're doing a full stormcast army, the ballista should be all the artillery you'll need. Also I'm guessing you want to do a Vanguard army to have Vanguard Hunter battleline?

6 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think if you're doing a full stormcast army, the ballista should be all the artillery you'll need. Also I'm guessing you want to do a Vanguard army to have Vanguard Hunter battleline?

Yeah, Vanguard Hunters shoot so it would make sense!

Is the new Ballista that good then, are things like Cannons irrelevant now?

11 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Yeah, Vanguard Hunters shoot so it would make sense!

Is the new Ballista that good then, are things like Cannons irrelevant now?

Well I wouldn't say cannons are irrelevant but since stormcast have some more interesting deploying mechanics, it makes sense to use ballistas and pop them where you want them to be rather than set up a normal cannon and pray to sigmar you have a clear firing line.

Plus the updated rules for artillery makes them much tougher, which sadly only applies to the ballista (old artillery still use the janky crew rules).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Edit:

So first Stormcast army in Blackout was 27. Should we doom and gloom already? Can you think of any theories for our bad performance?

It's only 1 tournament. Worth waiting to see how Sacrosanct heavy SC do once the new rules have settled in a bit.