AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Just think of how dumb and fun it would be to have a comet, a stardrake and a celestant prime in one list.  So horrifying for heroes that don't have a boatload of wounds.  I am excited to try really goofy elite and monster lists.  

Yeah, but according to every preview Heroes are invicincible now with Look Out Sir!  Invincible.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

What do you think about the new ballista, guys?

I like the mini, I like it is a machine, but is there another ordinator than the named one?

There is not another model ATM but the Lord Ordinator is not a named character. 

The Ballista is stupid cheap at 100pts. 

28 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Yeah, but according to every preview Heroes are invicincible now with Look Out Sir!  Invincible.

When you stack it with another hit debuff (like the Gryph-feather Charm that every army has access to) then it's like having a Mirrorshield. Shooting down foot heroes is going to be a lot less common now!

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

When you stack it with another hit debuff (like the Gryph-feather Charm that every army has access to) then it's like having a Mirrorshield. Shooting down foot heroes is going to be a lot less common now!

This is true. While they're not invincible, there's going to be a lot less things like Skyfires just killing all Heroes by T2 and ending a lot of armies immediately. Shooting units are still good, though, because there are other priority targets that aren't Heroes.

I think we're going to move to a metagame focused on shooting down units and using spells to focus down heroes.

Spells/abilities that obliterate screens are going to be especially useful, since you can isolate heroes away from units to deny LOS! to give your Judicators/Longstrikes/Castigators a chance to snipe.

2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

This is true. While they're not invincible, there's going to be a lot less things like Skyfires just killing all Heroes by T2 and ending a lot of armies immediately. Shooting units are still good, though, because there are other priority targets that aren't Heroes.

This is where I think the Lord-Ordinator outshines bringing more ballistas. I don't know what the math says, but being able to pick at heroes from 36" at +3/+3/-2 is not to scoff at.

1 minute ago, Kadanga said:

This is where I think the Lord-Ordinator outshines bringing more ballistas. I don't know what the math says, but being able to pick at heroes from 36" at +3/+3/-2 is not to scoff at.

The Ordinator easily outvalues bringing more ballistas when you use his command ability more than once per turn :P

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

The Ordinator easily outvalues bringing more ballistas when you use his command ability more than once per turn :P

IF we can do that, definetly. I kind of expect a rule of one on using a command ability twice on the same hero tho.

3 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

IF we can do that, definetly. I kind of expect a rule of one on using a command ability twice on the same hero tho.

I have the GHB in front of me right now and there is no rule of one, or any kind of matched play restriction about using the same command ability more than once.

They might errata it later but given how many erratas they put out for some potentially broken stackable abilities, I think it's fair to assume the intent is what is written.

40 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Actually I dont think you understand what he says.  Stardrake, Comet and DS Prime all have extremely long range mw damage. Even your hero is well armed with -3 to hit and 2+ reroll1. They will still die because of MW with almost unlimited range. A double turn will actually kill hq about 10 wound very easily.

I dont really think currently what we see from SE can lead to some interesting game play. But maybe in GHB there will be some limit.

Just now, PJetski said:

I have the GHB in front of me right now and there is no rule of one, or any kind of matched play restriction about using the same command ability more than once.

They might errata it later but given how many erratas they put out for some potentially broken stackable abilities, I think it's fair to assume the intent is what is written.

I guess the Ordinator CA will become 'cannot use it twice on same unit'

Almost every hero with CA that can lead to attack twice or in another phase has this limitation now.

1 minute ago, Aeonotakist said:

Actually I dont think you understand what he says.  Stardrake, Comet and DS Prime all have extremely long range mw damage. Even your hero is well armed with -3 to hit and 2+ reroll1. They will still die because of MW with almost unlimited range. A double turn will actually kill hq about 10 wound very easily.

I dont really think currently what we see from SE can lead to some interesting game play. But maybe in GHB there will be some limit.

I'm mostly just failing at jokes on the internet.  I think the previews  waaaaaaaay overplayed just how safe Heroes are going to be - they are very marginally more survivable, in one way, but it's presented like you can run your Grot Shaman around all day long and he'll just be there forever chomping on mushrooms at full health.

6 minutes ago, PJetski said:

That really suprises me. So instead of bringing more ballistas, we might consider buying extra command points to fire just one ballista over and over again (that we have buffed with +1 to wound, rerolls, blessed weapons etc.

Sure, if you bring 3 ballistas they will produce more rounds of shooting over the course of the game (without the ordinator) but for a really meaty early game shooting round I think Lord-Ordinator CA spam is viable.

4 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm mostly just failing at jokes on the internet.  I think the previews  waaaaaaaay overplayed just how safe Heroes are going to be - they are very marginally more survivable, in one way, but it's presented like you can run your Grot Shaman around all day long and he'll just be there forever chomping on mushrooms at full health.

Don't worry, I laughed at your joke.

I think Ordinator can't use his ability on the same Ballista because it says 'can shoot twice' so multiple uses won't do anything.

However, he can use it on multiple ballista.

Ah, right you are. The first rule of wargaming: "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is" :) 

I think Ordinator can't use his ability on the same Ballista because it says 'can shoot twice' so multiple uses won't do anything.

However, he can use it on multiple ballista.

I think a very solid arrangement will be two ballistas and an ordinator camped on an objective.  That way you've got potentially four shots at +1, and a respectable 19 wounds holding an objective for a fairly risk free 340 points.  Not really my cup of tea, but I think it will be good.

15 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The hope is that after the Battletome dust settles, we'll have a solid Battalion so we can get an extra CP early on. Assuming Hailstorm Battery has something to do with Ballistas and an Ordinator, but it depends on what it looks like. 

It will also be interesting to see what Stormhosts do, and if there have been any other warscroll changes.

Has anyone noticed that Gryph Hounds have changed? Their Warning Cry only works on STORMCAST units within 6" (not 2d6), they gain +2 attacks near a Castellant or Veritant, and they make a 6" retreat move after attacking (instead of d6 move).

It will also be interesting to see what Stormhosts do, and if there have been any other warscroll changes.

Has anyone noticed that Gryph Hounds have changed? Their Warning Cry only works on STORMCAST units within 6" (not 2d6), they gain +2 attacks near a Castellant or Veritant, and they make a 6" retreat move after attacking (instead of d6 move).

Where are you finding the new Gryph-hound warscroll?

Just now, PUFNSTUF said:

Basically the same as the Idoneth Deepkin Conclave rules. This very much seems to be the template going forward. Looks cool to me, though I'm not 100% convinced by the idea of the leader having to have a set magic weapon - that seems a little odd lore-wise. Either each Stormhost has loads of copies of the same magic weapon, or they all take turns sharing one?