AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I needed another greatmace Sequitor and really liked the pose of the ETB kit prime.  I clipped off the shield, replaced it with an unused Tempestor sword and glued some extensions onto the mace.

15328354334713987690930276003288.jpg.88d67361f4c5a1f0b510083d6bcfff37.jpg

If I was you I would remove the sword and change the hand for a clenched fist, maybe one of those with praying beads. That loadout is not reflected in game and couldnt be realistically wielded either.

Just my 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

That loadout is not reflected in game and couldnt be realistically wielded either.

This is warhammer, RULE OF COOL! ?

Plus when has warhammer cared about realism. I swear it is actually physically impossible for most Monster Mounted heroes to actually hit anything with their weapons!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

This is warhammer, RULE OF COOL! ?

Plus when has warhammer cared about realism. I swear it is actually physically impossible for most Monster Mounted heroes to actually hit anything with their weapons!

It was just my opinion :D however, the Grandmaul is a two handed weapon. Even in Warhammer, almost no-one uses a two handed weapon in one hand and a hand weapon in the other.

If he likes rule of cool, it's ok! It was only my point of view.

5 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

It was just my opinion :D however, the Grandmaul is a two handed weapon. Even in Warhammer, almost no-one uses a two handed weapon in one hand and a hand weapon in the other.

To be fair, both the Knights-Incantor (magazine and soul wars) and the Lords-Arcanum (on all mounts and foot) all have extra melee weapons that they don't use. So maybe the Sacrosanct chamber just likes to carry extra weapons!

12 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

The way I see it is that the sword is stuck in the rock and would likely be something such as the grave of a fallen warrior, specially since the whole thing is sheeted. The prime is simply resting her hand on the sword while watching over her unit. I hardly consider this as her wielding it.

Also, when it comes to realism, smashing your sword in a rock isn't going to happen, you'll just shatter the blade, so I highly doubt she carried that thing there.

Edited by Kugane
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I needed another greatmace Sequitor and really liked the pose of the ETB kit prime.  I clipped off the shield, replaced it with an unused Tempestor sword and glued some extensions onto the mace.

15328354334713987690930276003288.jpg.88d67361f4c5a1f0b510083d6bcfff37.jpg

Nicely done! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to get some opinions and start a conversation about Realm Rules in the context of SCE. My groups seem to be adopting a "we might as well try them" approach and we use them more often than not. My question is simple: which Realm have you found to be the LEAST impactful on your games? What I mean is, what Realm do you think has the minimal impact on the game in terms of imbalanced or swing-causing Realm characteristics.  The idea being: if my opponent wishes to nominate a Realm, what one should I suggest so as to get at least a 50% of fighting in it?

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't Ulgu or Ghur, since reducing shooting to  18/12/6" is massive for Comet/Judicator/Longstrike using armies, and having the two beasts also to add huge variables to the game that are totally unpredictable. Some guys I play against have pretty wacky FW monsters. Shysh is also scary given how it helps Death armies disproportionately, and they're already really strong and I struggle with them a bit. That narrows it down to the remaining 6 (or 5 if you're as scared of Shysh as I am!)

What Realms have you guys had luck with SCE fighting in? Any cool tips or tricks about Realm rules in the context of running Stormcast?

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

My converted lord celestant who use a two handed weapon in each hand disagree

Edited by ledha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

The way I see it is that the sword is stuck in the rock and would likely be something such as the grave of a fallen warrior, specially since the whole thing is sheeted. The prime is simply resting her hand on the sword while watching over her unit. I hardly consider this as her wielding it.

Also, when it comes to realism, smashing your sword in a rock isn't going to happen, you'll just shatter the blade, so I highly doubt she carried that thing there.

You nailed what I was going for.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ledha said:

My converted lord celestant who use a two handed weapon in each hand disagree

But that's you power-fantasy, not Warhammer canon ??

1 minute ago, Richelieu said:

You nailed what I was going for.

After I saw the sword stuck un the ground I understood. Maybe other item to lean on or a sword from a different race would have been less confusing, but that's being super nitpicky. Good job ;)

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

But that's you power-fantasy, not Warhammer canon ??

After I saw the sword stuck un the ground I understood. Maybe other item to lean on or a sword from a different race would have been less confusing, but that's being super nitpicky. Good job ;)

I actually tried to have her resting her hand benevolently on a Grot but I couldn't find one that was the right height. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Galamund said:

I want to get some opinions and start a conversation about Realm Rules in the context of SCE. My groups seem to be adopting a "we might as well try them" approach and we use them more often than not. My question is simple: which Realm have you found to be the LEAST impactful on your games? What I mean is, what Realm do you think has the minimal impact on the game in terms of imbalanced or swing-causing Realm characteristics.  The idea being: if my opponent wishes to nominate a Realm, what one should I suggest so as to get at least a 50% of fighting in it?

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't Ulgu or Ghur, since reducing shooting to  18/12/6" is massive for Comet/Judicator/Longstrike using armies, and having the two beasts also to add huge variables to the game that are totally unpredictable. Some guys I play against have pretty wacky FW monsters. Shysh is also scary given how it helps Death armies disproportionately, and they're already really strong and I struggle with them a bit. That narrows it down to the remaining 6 (or 5 if you're as scared of Shysh as I am!)

What Realms have you guys had luck with SCE fighting in? Any cool tips or tricks about Realm rules in the context of running Stormcast?

Chamon and Aqshy are both really good for SCE.  Ignore rend in Chamon is busted for Stormcast.  

Ghyran is pretty neutral.  

I played in Shyish against death yesterday.  Barely eked out a win after my unit of 20 sequitors got bravery bombed into oblivion on turn 1.  I used my only command point to reroll a charge so I could burn an objective on my first turn which left me open to the devastating battleshock.  All the terrain was sinister, plus a death banner, plus two spells brought my sequitors to 2 bravery.  

I recovered because my opponent forgot I could ride the wind aetheric with my LAoGC and I snuck behind and burned another objective.  

Overall I think Shyish is not great for SCE, but it's not terrible either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledha said:

Honestly, realms have impact on the game, yes. But the scenario you play as well, or even more. And the army you are facing.

It force you to adapt and try new things. It's good

I don't mean this to turn into a criticism of those rules! I personally don't like them, but I want to focus on being positive and upbeat about this change to Matched Play and instead try and find a way to minimize their impact. I want to accept and adapt to this new reality.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

Chamon and Aqshy are both really good for SCE.  Ignore rend in Chamon is busted for Stormcast.  

Ghyran is pretty neutral.  

I played in Shyish against death yesterday.  Barely eked out a win after my unit of 20 sequitors got bravery bombed into oblivion on turn 1.  I used my only command point to reroll a charge so I could burn an objective on my first turn which left me open to the devastating battleshock.  All the terrain was sinister, plus a death banner, plus two spells brought my sequitors to 2 bravery.  

I recovered because my opponent forgot I could ride the wind aetheric with my LAoGC and I snuck behind and burned another objective.  

Overall I think Shyish is not great for SCE, but it's not terrible either. 

Thanks so much man for the thoughtful and detailed reply. Really like to see that on these forums.

I thought Chamon is interesting for the ignore rend. I like having -1 on rend for so many units (Sequistor Greatmaces and Judicators in particular) against various common troops. While I fear people rending our good SCE armour down, I think there are a lot of scenarios where I need -1 rend and rely on it to just cut through enemy chaff. Is putting the enemy on a 6+ really worth putting our troops on a 5+?

Aqshy is also tough since I play against a lot of Chaos Dwarves a lot and they're even scarier in Aqshy, since their big sorceror lord gets +1 to cast in that Realm. I agree that's not as much of a problem if you're not fighting Dawi Zharr from FW. I recognize this is local to me only and not people generally... but facing 3 Magma Cannons that do 3d6 MW at 18" has traumatized me.

What other thoughts do we have on this topic?

1 hour ago, Galamund said:

Thanks so much man for the thoughtful and detailed reply. Really like to see that on these forums.

I thought Chamon is interesting for the ignore rend. I like having -1 on rend for so many units (Sequistor Greatmaces and Judicators in particular) against various common troops. While I fear people rending our good SCE armour down, I think there are a lot of scenarios where I need -1 rend and rely on it to just cut through enemy chaff. Is putting the enemy on a 6+ really worth putting our troops on a 5+?

Aqshy is also tough since I play against a lot of Chaos Dwarves a lot and they're even scarier in Aqshy, since their big sorceror lord gets +1 to cast in that Realm. I agree that's not as much of a problem if you're not fighting Dawi Zharr from FW. I recognize this is local to me only and not people generally... but facing 3 Magma Cannons that do 3d6 MW at 18" has traumatized me.

What other thoughts do we have on this topic?

I really like Hysh. The command ability is awesome (pick a unit at the start of combat to fight first), and the 6th result on the realm table is also really nice (a wizard can skip casting for a turn to make a brooch, if they do, they get to cast an extra spell for the rest of the game).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Galamund said:

If you use random realmscape features, they're all terrible. If you pick the realmscape and deliberately avoid things like "All shooting units are useless" and "Tried to play a cavalry/footslog list? Concede right now" and "Stupid random ****** falls out of the sky and just so happens to kill the guy you have standing on an objective so you lose!" and "I rolled a 6 during my double-turn's combat phase so pack up, you lose.", or even better don't use the realmscape features because they're really stupid, or even betterer don't use the realm rules at all because they're totally asinine, then that's pretty fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trying this list out tmrw , what do you think ?

I haven't tried the newly reduced in points Drakesworn Templar yet. I like the munching on units and breaking cohesion caper , so lets give that a try :)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- General
- Arc Hammer
- Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
- Mount Trait: Thunderlord
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
4 x Concussors (520)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Trying this list out tmrw , what do you think ?

I haven't tried the newly reduced in points Drakesworn Templar yet. I like the munching on units and breaking cohesion caper , so lets give that a try :)

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- General
- Arc Hammer
- Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
- Mount Trait: Thunderlord
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
4 x Concussors (520)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

If you're using Gavriel to cheese your charge rolls, really no reason to not use Fulminators over Concussors (assuming you can find a use for the points). I know you're running Hammers so you don't have a choice, but try using Ignax's Scales if you drop the stormhost at some point. I've been testing it, and it's amazing. 4+ ignore against all mortal wounds takes care of the biggest weakness SCE has, and you can confidently throw it anywhere it needs to be without fear of getting smashed. 

Hello all,

I am new to Stormcast and this is my First List of 1000 points.

Leaders
Astreia Solbright (220)
- General
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
3 x Steelheart's Champions (100)

Endless Spells
Celestian Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 58

30 minutes ago, nine7six said:

how are people going with everblaze comet in their lists, do you find it's worth it or is it too pricey?

are any of the SCE endless spells must haves?

I think it is the best Endless Spell in the game, but I don't think you'll see it that often because it requires you to build around it and there are lots of stronger SCE builds.

In general, I have a list that has Sequitors and Evocators to hoof it forward and 3+ Wizards behind to drop the Comet.

After some experience with the new battletome I've written up a list of changes I think could improve the balance of the army. I think these changes would make the army more balanced internally and improve some of the weaker units so they can see more play (Exorcist, Retributors, most battalions) and tone down the power of some units that are just a little bit too powerful for their point cost.

Sacrosanct Chamber
Sacrosanct chamber Evocators up from 200 to 240
Lord-Exorcist down from 140 to 120
Lord-Arcanum down from 180 to 160
Castigators are now Battleline if LORD-ARCANUM is your general
Ordinator down from 140 to 100
Dais Arcanum reduced from 40 to 20
Grand Convocation up from 130 to 140

Strike Chamber
Retributors down from 220 to 200
Decimators down from 200 to 180
Liberator maximum unit size changed from 30 for 520 to 20 for 320
Gavriel Sureheart up from 100 to 160
Celestant-Prime down from 340 to 300
Prosecutors are Battleline if a LORD-CELESTANT is your general
Lords of the Storm down from 140 to 100
Devastation Brotherhood down from 110 to 100
Hammerstrike Force down from 120 to 100
Thunderhead Brotherhood down from 160 to 100
Vanguard Wing down from 140 to 100

Extremis Chamber
Vandus Hammerhand down from 280 to 240
Concussors, Tempestors, Fulminators, Desolators are now Battleline if a DRACOTH or STARDRAKE is your general
Concussors down from 260 to 240
Desolators down from 220 to 200

Vanguard Chamber
Vanguard Angelos Conclave down from 160 to 120
Vanguard Justicar Conclave down from 120 to 100
Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber down from 160 to 120

What do you guys think? Did I buff/nerf untis too much, or not enough?

• Like 4