AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Do you think Sequitors in a unit of 20 and 5 are better, or two units of 10?( in a cleansing phalanx)

I would say twenty (hammer) and five (objective grabber). The hammer is buffed by one Evocators unit and the other Evo unit buffs themselves.

I will field 5 and 5 anyway, so I'm not the best for giving advice ?

Edited by DanielFM

Yes, I know. but as you Write this, i reread the rules and now thunderhead doesn‘t sound so good.

is there even a good battailion? The cleansing phalanx does sound nice. I‘m Looking for one, for the extra artefact, because i‘m playing the hammers of sigmar and the default artifact, isn‘t exactly the one i like.

3 hours ago, JudgeFredd said:

Yes, I know. but as you Write this, i reread the rules and now thunderhead doesn‘t sound so good.

is there even a good battailion? The cleansing phalanx does sound nice. I‘m Looking for one, for the extra artefact, because i‘m playing the hammers of sigmar and the default artifact, isn‘t exactly the one i like.

Cleansing Phalanx is good, Soulstrike Brotherhood is quite nice if you use Hunters (not many people do). The ones with Vanguard Raptors and Aetherwings can also be cool if you like to use them.

Most of the other require weak units, too many units or give too little of a benefit for the cost.

Edit:

It's a shame, but a Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber with the cheapest options comes just 2070 points. Close but not there. It gives you 3 CPs, 3 Artifacts, a good special rule, a nice special rule and a pretty useless one.

However, at 2250 (who plays that? :D ) you get enough points to turn two units of Hurricanes into Longstrikes (with two shots per model) and two Azyros into Venators, with 60 spare points for a 4th CP.

Guaranteed alpha strike, with artifacts and CPs to drown the opponent. Maybe that's why It doesn't fit at 2000 ?

Edited by DanielFM
  • Like 1

Guys, quick question about the Stardrake and Castellant’s lantern if anyone has a sec. 

So if your Drake is +1 to save because of the lantern and you roll a 1, does that mean you wouldn’t reroll because the modified result is a 2? Or is it rerolls before modifiers? 

Cheers. 

6 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Do you think Sequitors in a unit of 20 and 5 are better, or two units of 10?( in a cleansing phalanx)

20 and 5 for sure. Saving the 80pts is nothing to look lightly upon, and 20 lets you get a gigantic front rank of Greatmaces into a large enemy unit. They also make buffs more efficient (such as a Castellant's Warding Lantern), or using a CP to auto-activate your rerolls with a LAoGC. Granted they are at a greater liability to debuffs, but that's what all the unbind opportunities Evocators give us are for ;)

4 hours ago, JudgeFredd said:

is there even a good battailion?

I would say that the Cleansing Phalanx is the only good battalion in the book. This comes as a function of several things:
- first and foremost it is the only one that doesn't include rubbishy tax units: it includes 4 units we always want to take anyways and 2 of which are battleline.
- the buff it provides isn't trivial and makes an already good unit even better, and is an easy synergy to make happen. it also lasts all game long as long as the units required to cast and obtain the buff are alive.
- it's relatively cheap. granted battalions are pointed completely arbitrarily (I suspect numbers were drawn out of a hat) but this one is good and isn't 200pts.
- taking one battalion is almost compulsory for us since Stormhost rules rob us of the ability to pick a Relic, and starting the game with 1CP is SO important if you have a large unit you need to save from Battleshock if you go second and get alpha-struck.

Cleansing Phalanx is the best of a bad lot! Also, the name of the Battalion is utterly dope.

Edited by Galamund
Clarifying unclear wording.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Guys, quick question about the Stardrake and Castellant’s lantern if anyone has a sec. 

So if your Drake is +1 to save because of the lantern and you roll a 1, does that mean you wouldn’t reroll because the modified result is a 2? Or is it rerolls before modifiers? 

Cheers. 

Rerolls always happen before modifiers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Galamund said:

I would say that the Cleansing Phalanx is the only good battalion in the book. This comes as a function of several things:
- first and foremost it is the only one that doesn't include rubbishy tax units: it includes 4 units we always want to take anyways and 2 of which are battleline.
- the buff it provides isn't trivial and makes an already good unit even better, and is an easy synergy to make happen. it also lasts all game long as long as the units required to cast and obtain the buff are alive.
- it's relatively cheap. granted battalions are pointed completely arbitrarily (I suspect numbers were drawn out of a hat) but this one is good and isn't 200pts.
- taking one battalion is almost compulsory for us since Stormhost rules rob us of the ability to pick a Relic, and starting the game with 1CP is SO important if you have a large unit you need to save from Battleshock if you go second and get alpha-struck.

Cleansing Phalanx is the best of a bad lot! Also, the name of the Battalion is utterly dope.

Cleansing Phalanx is definitely the best of the lot, but I think Soulstrike can have a place as long as you are willing to load up on ~30 Castigators. The alpha strike shooting is pretty nice, and they should be able to delete their points or more on the first turn. The problem for me is that two Hunters units have to be taken, which means you want them to be battleline, which means no Sequitor battleline. If it only required 1 unit I would be willing to run it. 

24 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Cleansing Phalanx is definitely the best of the lot, but I think Soulstrike can have a place as long as you are willing to load up on ~30 Castigators. The alpha strike shooting is pretty nice, and they should be able to delete their points or more on the first turn. The problem for me is that two Hunters units have to be taken, which means you want them to be battleline, which means no Sequitor battleline. If it only required 1 unit I would be willing to run it. 

But after filling two battleline slots, why do you want battleline Sequitors? You can use a Judicators unit for the third slot and go for a shooty army, or field 5 Liberators then the token 20 Sequitors. It's not a big sacrifice.

41 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

But after filling two battleline slots, why do you want battleline Sequitors? You can use a Judicators unit for the third slot and go for a shooty army, or field 5 Liberators then the token 20 Sequitors. It's not a big sacrifice.

I should have clarified - the problem is that I don't want to take a Lord Aquilor as my general; but I have to if I don't want the Hunters being complete dead weight. Which means not only do I need to spend 240 on units I don't really want, but I have to invest another 200 in a general I don't particularly like. I like the idea of the battalion, but I wish it wasn't so clunky to build. If it required Judicators, great. Liberators, fine. Hunters.... ugh. 

4 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I should have clarified - the problem is that I don't want to take a Lord Aquilor as my general; but I have to if I don't want the Hunters being complete dead weight. Which means not only do I need to spend 240 on units I don't really want, but I have to invest another 200 in a general I don't particularly like. I like the idea of the battalion, but I wish it wasn't so clunky to build. If it required Judicators, great. Liberators, fine. Hunters.... ugh. 

I understand. I love the playstyle the Lord Aquilor provides (buffing Palladors with other heroes then teleporting them is great!) but if you don't like it the Soulstrike Brotherhood is a tougher sell.

1 hour ago, DanielFM said:

I understand. I love the playstyle the Lord Aquilor provides (buffing Palladors with other heroes then teleporting them is great!) but if you don't like it the Soulstrike Brotherhood is a tougher sell.

There is also something to be said about every time you use the aquilor's command ability the unit you move is -1 to hit from shock and awe. I think it's pretty important for palladors.

Edited by Hoodwizard
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I needed another greatmace Sequitor and really liked the pose of the ETB kit prime.  I clipped off the shield, replaced it with an unused Tempestor sword and glued some extensions onto the mace.

Nice conversion! I'm going the in the same way, but trying to give an Astral Templar look.

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

How would you rate the „Hailstorm Battery“ battalion? IMO it‘s okay

The taxe is far too high.

The ability triggers ONLY if the castigator unit actually deals at least a wound, whicn is not obvious.

It still depends. If you entended to use all thoses units anyway, it is okayish.

But if the goal was to use balistas at their best, then for the price of the bataillon you can field 4 balistas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Seems like a good time to ask about this, actually - as we're probably all going to end up converting extra greatmaces for our Sequitors, what are people's top tips for doing it? I've done a bit of converting in the past, but rarely stuff as fiddly as extending a weapon shaft. 

It really depends, but I usually try to get a pin through it if at all possible.  The lower portion wasn't going to bear any load and had a big contact patch so I just super glued it and it's quite solid.