AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I play stormcast  (was my first, still old school V 1.0) but building my 2.0. I play death (my biggest army). and I'm building a nighthaunt indeed. (will even make death bigger :P )

I wasn't complaining but I feel like they are undercosted especially if you gather 10 of them. You are right about the fulminators that are BTW my favourite unit and one of my fav miniature in the SCE range.

Hey guys, quick question here

Is Stardrake's  Rain of Stars/Roiling Thunderhead considered an attack ??  I have a strong feeling that it doesn't. ''Attacking'' section in Core Rules mention melee and missile weapons and said ability is neither.

Question came because my gaming group insist on playing with Realm rules(imo they are fully unbalanced but anyway), and the are a couple of ''results'' in Realm of Shadow table that completely nerf my army/plan/tactics.  Whatever holds  true for my question, it's also true for many other ''effects'' of our Heroes - Prime's Sceptre, Heraldor's Thunderblast, Relictor's Lightning Storm, etc.

Your call..?  :/ 

16 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

Is it possible for a stormcast army to be heroe-wizard oriented ? 

Lets say 6 heroes ? 

I am trying a list with that in mind but I don’t know if it can work 

thoughts ?

If you start building the list with grand convocation battalion and Stardrake then you can't go wrong I suppose.

25 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

If you start building the list with grand convocation battalion and Stardrake then you can't go wrong I suppose.

I don’t have the drake yet unfortunately :( 

but yes I will use the battalion ! 

Here is the list I am thinking to try out :  Magic
Stormcast Eternals
Realm of Battle: GHYRAN
KNIGHT-INCANTOR
Spell: Thundershock
KNIGHT-INCANTOR
Spell: Lightning Blast
LORD-ARCANUM General
Artefact: Wand of Restoration Command Trait: Staunch Defender Spell: Chain Lightning
Mount Trait: Keen Clawed
LORD-CASTELLANT
LORD-EXORCIST
Spell: Stormcaller

LORD-VERITANT
Artifact: Ghyrstrike

Prayer: Divine Light
    Battlelines
  LIBERATORS
Quantity: 5
LIBERATORS
Quantity: 5
SEQUITORS
Quantity: 10
Battalions
GRAND CONVOCATION
Other Units
EVOCATORS Quantity: 5
Spell: Celestial Blades
 VANGUARD-PALLADORS 
Weapon: Boltstorm Pistol Weapon: Starstrike Javelin
VANGUARD-RAPTORS
Quantity: 3

What do you guys think of this?:

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
5 x Evocators (200)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1780 / 2000

I need another hero but not sure if I want to go the sureheart route or not as I'm not too happy with the hammers since the FAQ nerf. Once I've built this list I want to play around with having 6 Dracolines and 5 evocators on foot too. Also I did not go 20 sequitors because I imagine that group will never get to fight effeciently so I figured this might be a bit better. I'd love to hear your thoughts on host or no host and what hero you'd go for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nox said:

Also I did not go 20 sequitors because I imagine that group will never get to fight effeciently so I figured this might be a bit better.

Quick note, you don't need to get all your 20 models into combat (although it would be nice) to be effective -mostly the 9 greatweapons are priority. Getting the horde discount to me means I would never run 15 of them, but between 10 and 20 I would probably go 20 if I have the points to spare. 

Have you considered a Cleansing Phalanx for your list? You have all the pieces to do it, and it's quite strong for the extra CP, artefact, and Sequitor buffs. 

I definitely haven't played enough Stormcasts in AoS2 to have a good handle on what's best.  I will be using 3 or 4 for my first lists.  Lord Arcanum, Knight-Incantor, and Knight-Heraldor almost for sure every time.  Will play around with Celestant-Prime, Lord Relictor, Lord Celestant on Dracoth, maybe some others.

1 hour ago, Nox said:

What do you guys think of this?:

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
10 x Sequitors (240)
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
5 x Evocators (200)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1780 / 2000

I need another hero but not sure if I want to go the sureheart route or not as I'm not too happy with the hammers since the FAQ nerf. Once I've built this list I want to play around with having 6 Dracolines and 5 evocators on foot too. Also I did not go 20 sequitors because I imagine that group will never get to fight effeciently so I figured this might be a bit better. I'd love to hear your thoughts on host or no host and what hero you'd go for.

I would suggest adding a cleansing phalanx.

6 minutes ago, Lord Ein said:

How many heroes are people going with in 2k? Excluding the big ones as stardrake and prime :) going for my first game next week, low knowledge in AoS ?

can't answer a question this braod. Depend on your list. Could be 3, could be 5...maybe 4 :P

rarely less than 3 never more than 6

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Namelessone81 said:

Is it possible for a stormcast army to be heroe-wizard oriented ? 

Lets say 6 heroes ? 

I am trying a list with that in mind but I don’t know if it can work 

thoughts ?

I think it is possible to create a hero oriented list, but you will really need to make sure there is very good synergy between all the heroes and 1 or 2 big units, probably a large unit of sequitors and evocators. An example would be a squad of 4 ballistas and lord ordinator alongside a bunch of heroes that buff like gavriel for a charge, hammerhand, etc alongside some big units of sequitors.

Generally it may be better to just run more troops then too many heroes though... If you just plan to play for fun there should be no issue however :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

can't answer a question this braod. Depend on your list. Could be 3, could be 5...maybe 4 :P

rarely less than 3 never more than 6

Haha, can see it now, too broad question. 

So far I got this on my 2k list:

Castellant

knight-incantor

Relictor

Sureheart

Knight-Venator

—-

2x5 judicators w/bow (shockbolt bow)

2x5 libs hammer+shield (grandhammer)

6 prosecutors dual hammers + grandhammers

6 prosecutors dual hammers + grandswords

5 retributors - 2 starsoul maces

5 Protectors 

Everblaze comet

yesterday,  we did an initiation game 1500 points with my son: I gave him SCE while I managed LoN.

We roll for scenario: we got the one with 3 objectives in the middle line of the battlefield which can only be aquired by the heros. The randomness of our lists (without playing batailons, nore artifacts/traits) gave us 3 heros each (the SCE had castelan, venator and celestan on dracoh and death had arkhan vanpire on steed and necro). This was as brutal as fun. But I must say that only 3 heros was really short.

We didn't play magic (except few things on warscrolls for death player). I must say that 3 heros in a list feel really light. I think that my 2k lists won't rarely be under 4 whatever the army is (SCE/LoN/NH)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

At what point level would you consider taking a cleansing phalanx? I've tried it at 1500 and. Not sure it was better than just taking more sequitors

Was the extra artefact put to good use? Did the lower unit drop allow you to go first? Was the extra CP needed early?

I think 1500 is the lowest I would consider taking it - but I have yet to try at that point level. 

Just now, Freejack02 said:

Was the extra artefact put to good use? Did the lower unit drop allow you to go first? Was the extra CP needed early?

I think 1500 is the lowest I would consider taking it - but I have yet to try at that point level. 

I took the staff of focus and the extra cost helped revive a unit. Didn't get to go first as he just played one nurgle battalion

1 hour ago, CountryMou3e said:

keen to know which favorite stormhost people have and why ? 

I am playing Hammers of Sigmar. The trait feels really neat to have, a nice selection of characters. The command ability is a gamble, but it's really powerful to get another MBU of Sequitors on the table.