AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 hours ago, Thor said:

So now that Lens of refraction is useless, what are our options now ? 

I like the jade diadem, makes you Heal Wounds on a 6+ on my usual setup a stardrake wound be Nigh unkillable, ( Lord Castellant Buff and staunch.) 

healing Wounds on a 4+ and 2 Wounds on 5+ seems legit 

I'd grab the armor that ignores modifiers from Shyish. Most heroes have a 3+ so it becomes an "invulnerable" of sorts. The Nigthaunt will be jealous!

Frustrated by the long wait for Sequitors, because I want to be working on a unit of them with swords right now (and I also want to see what the champion options on the sprue are like... I have a feeling we'll get a prime helm and shoulderpad for the greatmace guy instead of a second greatmace, meaning only one per 5 models in the box)

Actually, since I can't see a better thread to do it in: If anyone has the Evocator kit, what are the grandstave models like? There aren't many pictures of these about. I think there was a shot of a unit from an open day painted up in Hallowed Knight colours, but I can't find it. I'm surprised there aren't more pictures on the webstore page.

13 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Actually, since I can't see a better thread to do it in: If anyone has the Evocator kit, what are the grandstave models like? There aren't many pictures of these about. I think there was a shot of a unit from an open day painted up in Hallowed Knight colours, but I can't find it. I'm surprised there aren't more pictures on the webstore page.

I'm in process of putting 5 together. The grandstaves (weapons) are not a singular model in the sense that the staves all have different looks to them. The top of the staves can be anything from a spell effect to a sort of mace-looking thing. The evocators themselves essentially come with two different sets of arms, while the bodies retain their overall poses. The poses are cool-looking, but they are not quite as pose-able as you would imagine (making me wonder how much variety you might get if you had a massive army of them). They look cool though, and the models are very big and imposing.

Quick rules question about Evocators. Now that we have clarification that Evocators can cast spells from the Lore of Invigoration, can a unit of Evocators cast Celestial Blades on itself?

Relevant section of the Celestial Blades rules:

... pick a friendly STORMCAST ETERNAL unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them.

I haven't done the math, but if they can then there's an interesting comparison between +1 to wound (Celestial Blades) vs. re-rolling failed wounds (Empower)

I've been taking Speed of Lightning in case I anticipate a tricky charge coming up. I think Celestial Blades might be a little bit redundant. My guess is that celestial blades is meant to be a stacking buff with empower, somehow. Like you cast empower and celestial blades on the same unit? I don't know. The invigoration spells in general seem a little lackluster to me when put into the context of evocators. I think they are more useful on something like a "battle mage" that might be running with a fast, hardhitting group of assault units - example gryph riders, or dracolines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wars said:

Quick rules question about Evocators. Now that we have clarification that Evocators can cast spells from the Lore of Invigoration, can a unit of Evocators cast Celestial Blades on itself?

Yes, they are a valid target for Celestial Blades. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wars said:

Relevant section of the Celestial Blades rules:

I haven't done the math, but if they can then there's an interesting comparison between +1 to wound (Celestial Blades) vs. re-rolling failed wounds (Empower)

+1 to wound is weaker than reroll wounds on Evocators, Castigators and Celestar Ballista (I think Sequitors too).

The selling point of Celestial Blades is buffing non-Sacrosanct units.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I'm in process of putting 5 together. The grandstaves (weapons) are not a singular model in the sense that the staves all have different looks to them. The top of the staves can be anything from a spell effect to a sort of mace-looking thing. The evocators themselves essentially come with two different sets of arms, while the bodies retain their overall poses. The poses are cool-looking, but they are not quite as pose-able as you would imagine (making me wonder how much variety you might get if you had a massive army of them). They look cool though, and the models are very big and imposing.

On the topic of the Evocators sprues. In the description on the Games Workshop page it says that it's possible to assemble a male prime, a female prime and a Knight Incantor out of the Evocators box. Is it possible to build all three out of a single box? If not, what options are there?

7 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Frustrated by the long wait for Sequitors, because I want to be working on a unit of them with swords right now (and I also want to see what the champion options on the sprue are like... I have a feeling we'll get a prime helm and shoulderpad for the greatmace guy instead of a second greatmace, meaning only one per 5 models in the box)

why don't you just convert some sword ones? Liberator swords + soul wars sequitors can get you them, probably cheaper too.

Hi

So I building up my Stormcast, I finally got a box of Evocators, I love the models.

I'm sure someone has asked this before but, Whats better gameplay wise Grandstaves, Swords and staves or a mix of both?

I know the best answer is whatever you like the look of. And the grand staves do look really cool. I can't quite decide.

Gameplay wise I think Grandstaves look more useful vs lightly armoured troops or multi-wound troops. Being able to one shot a chaos warrior or the like is useful. But minus 1 attack and rend looks big to me.

2 hours ago, Memnoch said:

On the topic of the Evocators sprues. In the description on the Games Workshop page it says that it's possible to assemble a male prime, a female prime and a Knight Incantor out of the Evocators box. Is it possible to build all three out of a single box? If not, what options are there?

IMG_20180725_120701.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*pokes his nose in*

So oh mighty Stormcast players and people I'm a bit curious on the use, function, viability and general performance of gryph hounds and how you make use of them and see them fitting into your armies. Both with their synergies with other units and when they are on their own. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Overread said:

*pokes his nose in*

So oh mighty Stormcast players and people I'm a bit curious on the use, function, viability and general performance of gryph hounds and how you make use of them and see them fitting into your armies. Both with their synergies with other units and when they are on their own. 

For free with your Lord Castellant or Veritant.

Paying for them? Still too expensive, too vulnerable, too pillow-fisted. I don't think their Darting attacks give them enough of a role as a hit-n-run annoyance.

51 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'm a bit curious on the use, function, viability and general performance of gryph hounds and how you make use of them and see them fitting into your armies. Both with their synergies with other units and when they are on their own. 

I don't think I'll ever take a full unit, but I'll gladly take the Castellant freebie for board control and anti-teleportation from Warning Cry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

A guy from our store wants to tell me that evocators can cast endless spells. Im pretty sure they cant, but still have to ask. Are they able to or not?

No they can't:

It cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower, but any number of units of Evocators can attempt to cast Empower in the same hero phase.

1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

A guy from our store wants to tell me that evocators can cast endless spells. Im pretty sure they cant, but still have to ask. Are they able to or not?

No, they cannot. As per their warscroll and the FAQ just released they can only cast Empower and the three spells under the Lore of Invigoration (Terrifying Aspect, Celestial Blades and Speed of Lightning). None of those are endless.

‘Units of Evocators can know and attempt to cast one spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other spells in that hero phase.’

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

No they can't:

Yeah i know, but you can take a spell from the battletome and use it, so it overides the rule. Also endless spells says that every wizard can cast them. Does that dont overide it like the spell lore does?

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Yeah i know, but you can take a spell from the battletome and use it, so it overides the rule. Also endless spells says that every wizard can cast them. Does that dont overide it like the spell lore does?

The Battletome rule was FAQ'ed as I posted earlier. I think it's pretty clear as per the Warscroll and the FAQ that Evocators can only cast a total of four spells.

Ok thank you. Where can i find the realm artifacts? No one is playing with the realm rules and/or realm spells, but alot are taking there artifacts? Why is that? How comes?And is it not wierd to take a part of the book but not the rest?

Edited by Erdemo86

12 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Ok thank you. Where can i find the realm artifacts? No one is playing with the realm rules and/or realm spells, but alot are taking there artifacts? Why is that? How comes?And is it not wierd to take a part of the book but not the rest?

As AwareTheLegend said, Malign Sorcery has all the realm artefact rules for the 7 playable realms. As for why people don't use the realm rules, they're pretty unbalanced. In the realm of shadow, 3 of the 6 results reduce the range of shooting and magic to 6", 12" or 18", significantly nerfing shooting heavy armies. So a lot of people just skip them since they're unbalanced and far too random to plan for. However, if you're just playing with friends and you've got a pretty good grasp of the core rules, adding in realm rules and the extra realm spells from Malign Sorcery is a great way to make your games more interesting!

Speaking of evocators, did you know that French evocators are far more brutals than their UK counterparts?

French translators striked again with absurd rule rewriting which made them throw a number of dices equal to twice the number of enemy models rather than their own unit for the mortal wounds attack. Basically oneshotting 1wound enemy units.

I love them!