AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi guys,

I've been looking over the new battletome and these posts, and I can't avoid ask myself what about the "typical" stormcast lists. I'm talking about that list full of liberators and judicators and prosecutors.

With these new rules, are they already not competitive? I don't know, but I don't find a successful update for theses type of list.

What do you think about that?

Anyone know if the new ETB Astreia Solbright comes with the alternative Lord-Arcanum hero options, or if they'll come later? Everything says it should do, but with the new ETB sets with less moving parts, I'm not sure about anything anymore. The link on GW only shows the Astreia scroll, and the box gives nothing away like it usually does (eg. Knight-Venator, Stardrake etc.)

I'l wait and see on Saturday, but so far I don't want to get my hopes up

26 minutes ago, kurtces said:

Hi guys,

I've been looking over the new battletome and these posts, and I can't avoid ask myself what about the "typical" stormcast lists. I'm talking about that list full of liberators and judicators and prosecutors.

With these new rules, are they already not competitive? I don't know, but I don't find a successful update for theses type of list.

What do you think about that?

I'd say they are still very much competitive - Sequitors, Castigators and Evocators are somewhat better for the price on paper, but I wouldn't say they are more competitive outside their Sacrosanct synergy - I'm sure people will disagree, but we have yet to see competitive lists while we wait for the final models to be released, so it's all speculation and mathhammer at the moment.

Also remember that Sequitors require Lord-Arcanum as General to be Battleline, so if that's not your jam Liberators is your best option by far, and given that some of the old Battalions are still competitive, the rest will automatically be best from a synergy point of view

Edited by Aggesut
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aggesut said:

Anyone know if the new ETB Astreia Solbright comes with the alternative Lord-Arcanum hero options, or if they'll come later? Everything says it should do, but with the new ETB sets with less moving parts, I'm not sure about anything anymore. The link on GW only shows the Astreia scroll, and the box gives nothing away like it usually does (eg. Knight-Venator, Stardrake etc.)

Lord Arcanum on Dracoline will be made from the Evocators on Dracoline box. It was announced previously.

2 minutes ago, Aggesut said:

I'd say they are still very much competitive - Sequitors, Castigators and Evocators are somewhat better for the price on paper, but I wouldn't say they are more competitive outside their Sacrosanct synergy - I'm sure people will disagree, and we have yet to see competitive lists while we wait for the final models to be released, so it's all speculation and mathhammer.

Also remember that Sequitors require Lord-Arcanum as General to be Battleline, so if that's not your jam Liberators is your best option by far, and given that some of the good Battalions are still competitive, the rest will automatically be best from a synergy point of view

How are the "good battalions" still competitive? All of them got destroyed by removing their good rules.  Vanguard Wing? Destroyed. Hammerstrike? Destroyed. Tell me which ones do you think are still competitive, please.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

How are the "good battalions" still competitive? All of them got destroyed by removing their good rules.  Vanguard Wing? Destroyed. Hammerstrike? Destroyed. Tell me which ones do you think are still competitive, please.

Are you okay bud? I'm not sure how you feel they are destroyed though, they have just been made less competitive to not have 6 SCE armies in every Tournament Top10,  which I personally think is great and adds a bit of much-needed flavour to the scene.

I refuse to be salty about GW balancing the armies a bit again, and I'd still say the ones you've picked here are still very much competitive, but of course you're free to disagree - Also it would be good to see something other than a Gavriel list for once :)

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Aggesut said:

Are you okay bud? I'm not sure how you feel they are destroyed though, they have just been made less competitive to not have 6 SCE armies in every Tournament Top10,  which I personally think is great and adds a bit of much-needed flavour to the scene.

I refuse to be salty about GW balancing the armies a bit again, and I'd still say the ones you've picked here are still very much competitive, but of course you're free to disagree - Also it would be good to see something other than a Gavriel list for once :)

Of course I am! ;) In fact, I love one of the new ones, Soulstrike Brotherhood: it require few units I already use (except Castigators) and it gives a meaningful, useful rule.

But I don't like to read people making dubious claims which don't hold to any comparison to reality.

Most of the old ones basically give you a CP and Artifact for 110-140 points and forcing you into units you don't want. The single special rule is usually for flavour, at most. Hammerstrike? It requires few units, but the rule is laughable. Vanguard Wing? More or less the same. Most of the other ones are straight up a joke. Devastation Brotherhood, seriously?

Those won't bring any variety, they won't simply be used competitively, ever.  Check Nighthaunt battalions, though. Most are really easy to field and bring a really good effect.

I hate Gavriel clone lists, too. But you know, non-garbage battalions would help to see less of the samey lists. Right now, they do nothing for it.

The "6 Stormcast in top 10" is puzzling: you either refer to tiny ghetto tournaments no-one knows about, or you straight up pulled it out of your hat. AFAIK this has never happened in a major event since GHB 2016. Three in the top 10 is already quite rare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggesut said:

Technically it doesn't and as someone said the Lord is to be built from the Evocators kit. With that being said GW did something amazing with the ETB kit. Astreia is fully separate from the Dracoline. I don't know what the riders for the Evocators kit are going to be like but I'm hoping you will be able to fit it on the ETB Dracoline.

16 minutes ago, AwareTheLegend said:

Technically it doesn't and as someone said the Lord is to be built from the Evocators kit. With that being said GW did something amazing with the ETB kit. Astreia is fully separate from the Dracoline. I don't know what the riders for the Evocators kit are going to be like but I'm hoping you will be able to fit it on the ETB Dracoline.

Astreia and LAoD have identical equipment...

39 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Why wouldnt you make asteria a normal Lord? Such a waste to build a Lord from a 3man box.

I agree, it's unfortunately one of GWs sales tactics I massively disagree with. You are basically forcing customers to purchase an extra box of 3 to get a Hero leaving them with an odd number of models, whereas having a named character double as a Hero leaves people to decide and don't put models to waste - I understand why they are doing it, but I don't agree with it one bit. Not sure if anyone have seen a different, more positive, reason for them doing this yet?

42 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Astreia and LAoD have identical equipment...

For sure. No reason you can't use her as a generic LAoD with no modification. This is probably what I'm going to do.

If you want your LAoD to be a male sculpt vs the female sculpt and keep the honestly amazing base the potential is there.

I was just surprised to see it done for an ETB kit. The LAoGC for instance has his legs modelled directly on to the body of the Gryphcharger.

17 minutes ago, Aggesut said:

Not sure if anyone have seen a different, more positive, reason for them doing this yet?

Say you wanna use 2 LAoD ... at list they won't look the same if you use Astreia and the EvocBox one

But yeah ... that leaves you with 2 evocators models and that's bullsh*t :)

Edited by Sev

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Evening all. Does anyone have any tips on how to decimate with the Stardrake? My missus has one and loves it but is struggling to make 560 points worth of impact with it. Cheers!!

Stardrake is not a devastator.  In fact, it is rather pillowfisted.  The standard way to make them pull their weight is to give them the Staunch Defender command trait, a defensive artifact attuned to your meta (Mirrorshield for shooting, Ignax's Scales for generic mortals, Refracting Lens for magic), and then putWarding Lantern from the Lord Castellant on him.  At that point he becomes virtually unkillable and you can use him to bully your opponent.  Take a knight heraldor so that he doesn't get stuck in meaningless combat with a tough model he can't kill.  

7 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Stardrake is not a devastator.  In fact, it is rather pillowfisted.  The standard way to make them pull their weight is to give them the Staunch Defender command trait, a defensive artifact attuned to your meta (Mirrorshield for shooting, Ignax's Scales for generic mortals, Refracting Lens for magic), and then putWarding Lantern from the Lord Castellant on him.  At that point he becomes virtually unkillable and you can use him to bully your opponent.  Take a knight heraldor so that he doesn't get stuck in meaningless combat with a tough model he can't kill.  

All makes sense, thanks very much  for the input mucker. 

12 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

All makes sense, thanks very much  for the input mucker. 

Take Strife-Ender and Heroe of The Realms with Tempestos Hammer, take Tempest Lords stormhost and keep it near some friendlies and have some fun! Heraldor for run+charge so you get the charge you want?

Hey everyone,

Was looking at the Phalanx battalion, seems good on paper. How does this look overall?.

+++ Stormcast Competitive  (Age of Sigmar) [1980pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum: General

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Sequitors: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Battalion +

Cleansing Phalanx
. Evocators: 5 Evocators, 5x Tempest Blade and Stormstave
. Sequitors: 10 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield
. Sequitors: 10 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Also have the following, not sure which is better.

+++ Stormcast Competitive  (Age of Sigmar) [2000pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline: General

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Sequitors: 5 Sequitors, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Other +

Evocators on Celestial Dracolines: 3 Evocators on Celestial Dracolines

+ Battalion +

Cleansing Phalanx
. Sequitors: 10 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Edited by Shinzra

25 minutes ago, Alucard Hellfire said:

I use the age of sigmar app, and they have arcane bolt and mystic shield on the war scroll for evocators.  Can evocators cast these? 

Screenshot_20180720-192534.png

No, it's an error.

Edit: I suppose it's not necessarily an error.  Their warscroll says they can't cast any spells besides empower, it doesn't say they don't know other spells.

Edited by Richelieu

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

No, it's an error.

Edit: I suppose it's not necessarily an error.  Their warscroll says they can't cast any spells besides empower, it doesn't say they don't know other spells.

I believe anything with the Wizard keyword, conditional or not, has those spells listed. So I agree, not an error - but no they are not available to be cast by Evocators. 

13 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Of course I am! ;) In fact, I love one of the new ones, Soulstrike Brotherhood: it require few units I already use (except Castigators) and it gives a meaningful, useful rule.

But I don't like to read people making dubious claims which don't hold to any comparison to reality.

Most of the old ones basically give you a CP and Artifact for 110-140 points and forcing you into units you don't want. The single special rule is usually for flavour, at most. Hammerstrike? It requires few units, but the rule is laughable. Vanguard Wing? More or less the same. Most of the other ones are straight up a joke. Devastation Brotherhood, seriously?

Those won't bring any variety, they won't simply be used competitively, ever.  Check Nighthaunt battalions, though. Most are really easy to field and bring a really good effect.

I hate Gavriel clone lists, too. But you know, non-garbage battalions would help to see less of the samey lists. Right now, they do nothing for it.

The "6 Stormcast in top 10" is puzzling: you either refer to tiny ghetto tournaments no-one knows about, or you straight up pulled it out of your hat. AFAIK this has never happened in a major event since GHB 2016. Three in the top 10 is already quite rare.

Its kinda ironic. The faction with the most units and variety is essentially pigeon holed into only a few builds due to the massive gutting of battalions. SCE have more battalions then most factions combined yet all but 3ish are useless. The Gavriel clone list problem is the same problem that almost all of the smaller factions have. Look at Fyreslayers, Tzeentch, Ironjawz to name a few. All required to take clone lists due to no other options. Nighthaunt though...those spooky bois are going strong with multiple competitive build ideas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1