AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys new Stormcast player here, got a question about when units ride the lightning and land on the table. In the SC battletome it states you have to set up the units at the end of your movement phase. 

I have two questions, first does landing them on the table count as there movement? Second can they run in that turn?

For example if I drop a Knight-Heraldor with my units can they run and still charge in the turn they land?

Sorry if this is a noobish question, still new to SC and figuring out the most effective way to get my units into combat the turn they land.

1 hour ago, Aggesut said:

Thoughts on this future list appreciated:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline (240) - General 

• Command Trait : Single-Minded Fury
  • Artefact : Stormrage Blade 
  • Spell : Celestial Blades 
  • Mount Trait: Pride Leader

Knight-Incantor (140)

• Mindlock Staff
  • Stormcaller

UNITS

15 x Sequitors (360)

5 x Sequitors (120)

5x Sequitors (120)

OTHER UNITS

6x Evocators on Dracolines (600)

5x Evocators (200)

Chronomatic Cogs (60)

Balewind Vortex (40)

WARSCOLL BATTALION

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
===

Ideas is simple: Drop Dracolines behind enemy lines, charge on 7 with Cogs, Empower and rerolls. Empower the Sequitors with reroll hit and wounds from Phalanx. Stormcaller and support from Incantor on Vortex.

Taking 15 Sequitors seems like a waste - I would find the 40 points to bump them up to 20. Beyond that, it's a cogs charge list without Gavriel... time will tell how viable those are. You need a lot of moving parts to happen on your first turn to cast cogs (58%), then get charges on the Dracolines and Sequitors (each 58%, or about 72% if you spend a reroll with CA). You can always delay if you miss the Cogs cast, but you have zero shooting to fall back on, and if you miss your charges the enemy will have no trouble counter-attacking with the cogs buff. 

I have yet to play any 2.0 games, so this is just assumptions based on what I've read. Lists like this benefit from Gavriel so much that it's likely just better to go Hammers of Sigmar. 

1 minute ago, Tip4Tap said:

Hey guys new Stormcast player here, got a question about when units ride the lightning and land on the table. In the SC battletome it states you have to set up the units at the end of your movement phase. 

I have two questions, first does landing them on the table count as there movement? Second can they run in that turn?

For example if I drop a Knight-Heraldor with my units can they run and still charge in the turn they land?

Sorry if this is a noobish question, still new to SC and figuring out the most effective way to get my units into combat the turn they land.

The landing does not count as movement.  But since it is at the end of the movement phase, there is no more movement phase left for them to run in.

6 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

The landing does not count as movement.  But since it is at the end of the movement phase, there is no more movement phase left for them to run in.

So when they land the only movement they can make is a charge?

Just now, Tip4Tap said:

Hmmmm 9 inch charge, seems doable I guess.

About 28% doable, without any buffs or rerolls. 

5 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

And also a pile-in if it becomes a thing.  So 2 out of the 3 types of movement :)

I'm trying to think - are Goblin Fanatics the only unit that could realistically get in range during a combat where SCE units setup? Is there anything else that can close that distance on the enemy's turn?

1 minute ago, Freejack02 said:

I'm trying to think - are Goblin Fanatics the only unit that could realistically get in range during a combat where SCE units setup? Is there anything else that can close that distance on the enemy's turn?

I can't think of any others.  I was being a bit cheeky though - if you successfully charge, then you can also pile-in.  It's only normal movement that is denied to you, as the movement phase is at an end.

21 minutes ago, Tip4Tap said:

It is also worth noting that because Scions doesn't count as movement, units like Crossbow Judicators and Vanguard Raptors get the full effect of their weapons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Yeah I’m going to be honest I was being a tad sarcastic. I don’t intend on dropping my guys in plain sight and then attempting a 9 inch charge. Just for them to fail and have half my army destroyed turn one.

Hey guys, i have a 1000p tournament next week.

+++ Stormcast 1000 (Age of Sigmar) [1000pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Knight-Heraldor: 5. Staunch Defender, General

Lord-Castellant: 5. Spellshield

+ Battleline +

Judicators: 5 Judicators, Shockbolt Bow, Skybolt Bow

+ Other +

Fulminators: 2 Fulminators

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

The plan is to tease the opponent with the judicators and the castellan (gryph hound in front to counter deepstrike)

Then deepstrike the fulminators and heraldor, use the breath attack and attack, or attack the turn after.

(Heraldor, to get the charge bonus with the fulminators

Maybe attack with both units of fulminators if the target is big (ironclad etc)

What do you think?

2 hours ago, Potatoejunky said:

Hey guys, i have a 1000p tournament next week.

+++ Stormcast 1000 (Age of Sigmar) [1000pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Knight-Heraldor: 5. Staunch Defender, General

Lord-Castellant: 5. Spellshield

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

The plan is to tease the opponent with the judicators and the castellan (gryph hound in front to counter deepstrike)

Then deepstrike the fulminators and heraldor, use the breath attack and attack, or attack the turn after.

(Heraldor, to get the charge bonus with the fulminators

Maybe attack with both units of fulminators if the target is big (ironclad etc)

What do you think?

I think it looks like a brutal 1k list, but I question the plan.   Cavalry's biggest asset is their mobility.  Putting them in the air and relying upon a 9" charge wastes their mobility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ranwulf said:

I am a new player of AoS, and would like to know what you guys think of the Vanguard army. Are they better in this edition? Many people said they werent good last edition.

They are better indeed. Cheaper Hunters, Palladors, Hurricane Raptors and even Aetherwings. Shock and Awe (-1 to hit if you charge the turn you come from reserves) helps them a lot as they come closer to the enemy and get easier charges.

Even Longstrikes, while they stayed the same in points, got Headshot on unmodified 6's, so they get mortal wounds regardless of Look out Sir, Artifacts and other protection for characters. Plus the Command Ability of Anvils of the Heldenhammer gives them extra shooting easily.

People will tell you they are still bad. But they can't deny that they are better than before.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I think it looks like a brutal 1k list, but I question the plan.   Cavalry's biggest asset is their mobility.  Putting them in the air and relying upon a 9" charge wastes their mobility.

Good point, i thought of the plan because of my shooty meta in my area, i cant charge on turn 1, so i thought getting the hit modifier when the come from the sky, should give them a higher survivability.

47 minutes ago, Tip4Tap said:

So I have another question. Which do people typically think are better: Fulminators, Concussors, Tempestors or Desolators?

From my point of view and experience, Tempestors and Fulminators are the best. The former for cheapness and being a tough annoyance in small units, and the latter for resilience and general close combat potential.

Some people dismiss Tempestors and Fulminators in this as their breath attack got changed, and see Concussors as a viable alternative. But I don't really see the merit in their argumentation. 12" Lightning Breath is weaker but far easier to use in a turn you charge or arrive from Scions. And Concussors lost the possibility of triggering their mortal wounds on 5+ with to-hit buffs.

Hello, as my Stormcast project continues i want to build my last boxes (bought some time before 2.0).

But i´m a little bit unsure, what are the best for the following units:

1. paladin box: I have one box of paladins left, as i want them to build i think Protectors are the best way at the moment.

2. vanguard raptors: I already have one unit with the big crossbows, I think about another unit with hurricane crossbows, is this a meanigful way?

3. vanguard palladors: 2 boxes of palladors left, i want them equip with javelins as in 1.0, 

4. judicators: what are your experiences with the crossbows? i have already a unit with bows.

Who can help me to get some more valid information?

2 hours ago, Tip4Tap said:

So I have another question. Which do people typically think are better: Fulminators, Concussors, Tempestors or Desolators?

I play a lot of Dracothian Guard (my entire army is themes around cavalry, pretty awesome, and good too!) and I can say this about them in the new edition. Fulminators are still good, but the loss of the breath attack requires you to take a Knight-Heraldor, since they can't shoot their way out of combat reliably now.  If they get bogged down they are really bad. I think Concussors are better. They are worse against shooting lists, but with a Castellant lantern buff and Staunch Defender it doen't matter as much. They also don't require a Heraldor as they are as good on the charge as in protracted combats, and they obliterate hordes with them preventing pile-ins. 40 skeletons are scary, 40 skeletons who can't pile in are not scary. For 20 points more they are worth it. Tempestors are only good against shooting lists, otherwise they're a waste. Find the points to upgrade them to Fulminators or Concussors. Desolators are bad, you need 8 of them in a unit to be sure of them getting their attack bonuses, and such large units are very weak to debuffs. If you face any army that can give them a -1 to hit you're in trouble. Otherwise they will of course destroy whatever they touch, but making half your army a joke to one debuff is very risky.