Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Recommended Posts

Hey there, does someone know if there are any changes on the warscrolls of the "older" models with the new battletome?  I have the previous edition of the warscroll cards and im not sure if they are still valid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Atreyu said:

Hey there, does someone know if there are any changes on the warscrolls of the "older" models with the new battletome?  I have the previous edition of the warscroll cards and im not sure if they are still valid...

There were several tweaks for warscroll changes. Azyros and Celestant Prime,  as well as Fulminators/Tempestors, Neave, Lord Ordinator, Prosecutors,  and Paladins (starsoul mace change). Possibly more, that's just off the top of my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

There were several tweaks for warscroll changes. Azyros and Celestant Prime,  as well as Fulminators/Tempestors, Neave, Lord Ordinator, Prosecutors,  and Paladins (starsoul mace change). Possibly more, that's just off the top of my head. 

oh okey, thank you ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Requete said:

Is there anything that makes Retributors good? I have both Retributors and Evocators and the latter just seem better in every way (cheaper, more attacks, move faster, are braver, are wizards, etc.). I like both types of model, but I feel like I must be missing something.

Nope. They are objectively worse than Evocators.

GW messed this time, hard. Ideal world, they would lower their points in a FAQ/GHB. If we get unlucky, they will up Evocators and leave us with not one but two overpriced units 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! 

I am going to start my first AoS army. Been playing 40k before. There are soooo much Stormcast units and I have no idea where to go...all the "sub" factions within the faction etc. 

Anyhow, how would you build your first 1k list to learn AoS 2 and still not wasting money on bad units. I am not a fluff player. I am looking for a good army. 

- What are the "must have" for us? A strong Core that will always last. 

- What playstyle's works best? Meele, shooting, magic....a mix? 

-tips on what to buy first? A strong 1k list as a Core to expand on? 

Sorry for the long post and all the questions...Just a poor student not looking to waste...to much 💰😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Hi! 

I am going to start my first AoS army. Been playing 40k before. There are soooo much Stormcast units and I have no idea where to go...all the "sub" factions within the faction etc. 

Anyhow, how would you build your first 1k list to learn AoS 2 and still not wasting money on bad units. I am not a fluff player. I am looking for a good army. 

- What are the "must have" for us? A strong Core that will always last. 

- What playstyle's works best? Meele, shooting, magic....a mix? 

-tips on what to buy first? A strong 1k list as a Core to expand on? 

Sorry for the long post and all the questions...Just a poor student not looking to waste...to much 💰😄

One problem with the faction right now is that the new stuff is *good*. Too good to be honest. Sequitors are our new battleline (troops equivalent from 40k) and they completely outclass Liberators, our old battleline. Same problem with the new Evocators vs the old Retributors. Evocators are just better in basically every way, there's no reason to take retributors anymore. 

The major problem with this is whether or not GW intended that (it seems that way) and if not, what they'll do about it. So the sequitors and evocators that are amazing now... might be terrible come an FAQ. 

As for building an army: go for the Sacrosanct Chamber. The Soul Wars box has all the models for Sacrosanct, with more releasing this weekend. To start with a 1k list that's pure Sacrosanct, I'd probably do this:

 

Hammers of Sigmar

Astreia Solbright (Easy to Build Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline releasing this weekend)

Knight-Incantor (There's one in the start with Age of Sigmar magazine from GW, it's $9 USD. Cheapest hero we have xD)

 

2x5 Sequitors (can get them from basically any of the Soul Wars variants, or wait for the multipart kit)

Celestar Ballista (easy to build kit also releasing this weekend)

Evocators x5 (multipart kit releasing this week, both of their weapon options are good)

Everblaze Comet (endless spell)

1000/1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random note: with a +1 attack CA on them, Retributors (without Starsoul maces) and Evocators deal practically the same damage (12,4 vs 12,7).

Stacking 2 +1 attack CAs would probably make Retributors actually better than Evocators. Worth it? Maybe not. But it's there if you absolutely must use those Retributors.

Additional note: tear those hammers and stick glaives, Protectors are even better than they were before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AwareTheLegend said:

Are you going to take a Stormhost or just run generic? You have no artifcat or command trait.

I don't see the point of the Cogs unless it is meant to get your Sequitors into something?

I would switch out the Cogs and Skinks for a Knight-Ayrzos to reroll 1s for all your shooting. Your block of Sequitors won't use that but the Judicators and Ballistas will. You are going to have to use your Judicators to protect your Ballista though. 

I was thinking that cogs give some extra speed for ballistas and judis for objective grabbing. Skinks are in for screening and obj. grabbing and filling points. I dont have battletome yet. Which artefacts and stuff you recommend?

Edited by eduboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Richelieu said:

This is at its heart, what is known as the Les Martin TM list.  

Star Drake, Castellant and fulminators.  His list also includes a knight heraldor, which is even better now than it was previously.  It allows the incredibly important unit of four fulminators to not get locked in tarpits by your opponent and always take advantage of their 3 damage on the charge.  

At least one unit of judicators is typically used instead of a unit of liberators because of its ability to babysit an objective, fulfill a battle line requirement, and still contribute damage to distant fights.

Hey, what about this to complete it overall?, would the 6 fulminators be to much?, maybe to much battleline or looks good?

 

+++ Stormcast Competitive  (Age of Sigmar) [2000pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: 2. Keen-clawed, 4. Mirrorshield, 5. Staunch Defender, General

+ Battleline +

Judicators: 5 Judicators, Shockbolt Bow, Skybolt Bow

Judicators: 5 Judicators, Shockbolt Bow, Skybolt Bow

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

+ Other +

Fulminators: 2 Fulminators

Fulminators: 2 Fulminators

Fulminators: 2 Fulminators

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this for a Stardrake List in 2.0 ?

 

Drakesowrn Templar  460
-Armour of Silvered Sigmarite

Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger  240
-Staunch Defender

Lord Castellant  100

Knight Heraldor  100

10 Sequitors  240

5 Judicators  160

5 Judicators  160

4 Fulminators  480

Chronomatic Cogs  60


2000/2000
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Luke.w said:

How is this for a Stardrake List in 2.0 ?

 

Drakesowrn Templar  460
-Armour of Silvered Sigmarite

Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger  240
-Staunch Defender

Lord Castellant  100

Knight Heraldor  100

10 Sequitors  240

5 Judicators  160

5 Judicators  160

4 Fulminators  480

Chronomatic Cogs  60


2000/2000
 

It seems like a cool update that takes advantage of the new toys.

Drakesworn can get reroll 1's from Mystic Shield, so why not giving him protection against MW? 4+ nulify spells is not bad, and 4+ save against MW from Aqshy is better (even if I hate Realm Artifacts, for that very reason).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanielFM said:

 

Additional note: tear those hammers and stick glaives, Protectors are even better than they were before!

Why better?  They seem like they got worse with their -1 to hit changed to "in cover" and a major distance restriction to get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Why better?  They seem like they got worse with their -1 to hit changed to "in cover" and a major distance restriction to get it. 

Their 6+ ability trigger in to hit rolls. More rolls=better.

Plus Celestar Ballista(s) from Scions+cover=2+ save is a really cool combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing a few games with the new stormcast battletome, I am trying to use Stardrake list in the next game.

The question is, how much supporting heroes should I put? 

Would it be better to rush with melee units(stardrakes, fulminators) in order to provide target saturation?

Or should I invest on counter-artillery/wizard firepower?

Only time will tell, but here is what I have thought of so far. 

 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Stormhost: None

 

- Hero

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake(General, Staunch Defender, Mirrorshield, Celestine Hammer)

Lord-Relictor(Translocation)

Lord-Relictor(Divine Light)

Lord-Castellant(Lantern of the Tempest)

Lord-Ordinator

Knight-Incantor(Azyrite Halo)

 

- Battleline

5 Liberators(1xLiberator-Prime: Grandhammer, 4xLiberator: Warhammer & Shield)

5 Liberators(1xLiberator-Prime: Grandhammer, 4xLiberator: Warhammer & Shield)

5 Judicators(1xJudicator-Prime: Shockbolt Bow, 4xJudicator: Skybolt Bow)

 

- Artillery

Celestar Ballista

 

-Other

3 Castigators(1xCastigator-Prime, 2xCastigator)

5 Evocators(Grandstaves,  Celestial Blades, 1xEvocator-Prime, 4xEvocator)

 

- Warscroll Battalion

Hailstorm Battery

 

Total: 2,000pts

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick question here, I’m almost sure has been answered already, but here goes: on Evocators in the app it states the following under their Magic “It cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower...” however, on the same scroll it notes Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield, and on Azyr the option of adding Lore of the Storm is present.

Given that in the book it also states “cannot be cast by units of Evocators” under Lore of the Storm, but not under Lore of Invigoration, is this an oversight or me misunderstanding the RAW?

What are the actual, accepted options for Evocators?

 

 

Edited by Aggesut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has to be an oversight in the Lore of Invigoration (opinion not fact that is). 

Either way it doesn't matter.  Even if you wanted to try to RAW your way into getting more spells, the rules on the warscroll ("cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower") override the general rules for selecting battletome lore spells.  You *might* be able to argue that they can know one of these spells, but they can't ever cast it.

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else put off using the fantastic-looking Sequitors because of how powerful they are for their points? Just 20 more than Liberators seems insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Grailstorm said:

Is anyone else put off using the fantastic-looking Sequitors because of how powerful they are for their points? Just 20 more than Liberators seems insane.

Nope.  A unit that is just strong for its points without having any unique or game breaking mechanics ranks far far far down the list of filth.  If anything, it's not Sequitors that are underpriced, but Liberators who are overpriced.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Has to be an oversight in the Lore of Invigoration (opinion not fact that is). 

Either way it doesn't matter.  Even if you wanted to try to RAW your way into getting more spells, the rules on the warscroll ("cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower") override the general rules for selecting battletome lore spells.  You *might* be able to argue that they can know one of these spells, but they can't ever cast it.

Yeah this is a case where RAW 100% says one thing but RAI appears to possibly be something else.  I fully expect this to be FAQd one way or the other because it's just confusing as is (this wording has been discussed half a dozen times in this thread, plus in multiple podcasts).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately my own guess at RAI matches up with the ultimate outcome of the RAW.  My guess is Evocators are only ever supposed to be able to cast Empower, and there's no possible twisting of the RAW that lets them cast anything other than Empower.   The only errata if that is indeed RAI would be adding the same (redundant) restriction in the verbiage to one Lore as is in the other one.  If RAI was otherwise, then the warscroll for Evocators would need errata as there's literally no way for them to get to cast a different spell without changing the scroll.

Edited by amysrevenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Ultimately my own guess at RAI matches up with the ultimate outcome of the RAW.  My guess is Evocators are only ever supposed to be able to cast Empower, and there's no possible twisting of the RAW that lets them cast anything other than Empower.   The only errata if that is indeed RAI would be adding the same (redundant) restriction in the verbiage to one Lore as is in the other one.  If RAI was otherwise, then the warscroll for Evocators would need errata as there's literally no way for them to get to cast a different spell without changing the scroll.

I completely agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

Nope.  A unit that is just strong for its points without having any unique or game breaking mechanics ranks far far far down the list of filth.  If anything, it's not Sequitors that are underpriced, but Liberators who are overpriced.

I agree with this. I mean theres only two things that Liberators do, be a battleline tax and slightly tank objectives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

I agree with this. I mean theres only two things that Liberators do, be a battleline tax and slightly tank objectives.

Liberators make decent “bait” and also “shells” as well. Everyone knows they suck and thus no one is afraid of them. The goal is to put something in range of them to punish anyone who decides to kill them for easy points. They are basically a “combo” unit imo. I agree they are weak and overpriced for what they do, but I also feel that they serve a purpose in allowing you to protect more important units and to prevent direct charges. We could certainly talk about whether sequitors do it better, but I’m not arguing that libs are better at anything, just simply that they do have a good battlefield role other than sitting on an objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×