AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Thoughts: need to see new Lib and Sequitor warscrolls and any further Thunderstrike synergy before making a decision on Vindictors. I like what I see and they are the future though so it’s only a matter of time.

Praetors are really, really good. Will definitely see them a lot.

Annihilators are on the top end but I think you’ll still see at least one in most lists. Spam lists will be fun.

Imperatant is auto include at 160.

Knight-Arcanum is horrendously overpriced.

New Vexillor at just 5 more with a heal/resurrect is bonkers good, near must take for an elite army.

Yndrasta is actually quite good and makes a mockery of the Celestant Prime. I’d use her. 

19 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

So does the orruks gets a 4+ save, 5+ maybe?

Nah the warbosses are the only ones with "good" saves, the regular orruks looks to be 180 for 10 with 2 wounds, 5+ saves, 5 move and 2 attacks with only 4+/4+, most of their output is tied to the mortal wounds allegiance for sure. They also got a rule with a high chance of reducing enemy to hit by 1 (roll 2d6+orruk models in unit to beat bravery).

The cost seems pretty high, but expect costs to be high across the board I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scurvydog said:

Nah the warbosses are the only ones with "good" saves, the regular orruks looks to be 180 for 10 with 2 wounds, 5+ saves, 5 move and 2 attacks with only 4+/4+, most of their output is tied to the mortal wounds allegiance for sure. They also got a rule with a high chance of reducing enemy to hit by 1 (roll 2d6+orruk models in unit to beat bravery).

The cost seems pretty high, but expect costs to be high across the board I guess.

That's fair, fewer people on the board will definitely make the heroes and monsters shine and that seems to be what the devs wanted for that 3rd edition.

Also we should keep in mind that we're talking about orruks and stormcasts, two armies that are not very crowdy, especially if they decided to follow the road of "stormcasts are elites just like space marines/

I worry about the rumor of the coming Stormcast kits being new Stardrakes and Dracoths with the new armor stuff. My Entire army is based around stardrakes and dracothian guards and we all know what happens when new shinier kits are in town of basically the same thing and role.

Also apparently archers with the new armor type. I can't see how GW will find roles for all these ranged units at this point, we already got judicators with 2 types of ranged weapons, Castigators and vanguard raptors with multiple weapon options. The new archers will simply have to step on the toes of at least judicators and one will for sure be better than the other.

8 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I worry about the rumor of the coming Stormcast kits being new Stardrakes and Dracoths with the new armor stuff. My Entire army is based around stardrakes and dracothian guards and we all know what happens when new shinier kits are in town of basically the same thing and role.

Also apparently archers with the new armor type. I can't see how GW will find roles for all these ranged units at this point, we already got judicators with 2 types of ranged weapons, Castigators and vanguard raptors with multiple weapon options. The new archers will simply have to step on the toes of at least judicators and one will for sure be better than the other.

new drakes units are on the way for sure but resculpting a big monster like the stardrake would be really tons of work for low sales i think.

Making these kind of kits is expensive, not many people play them unless it is a key element from your army (maw krusha, leviadon...etc).
I hope i'm wrong and GW will update the stardrake to make it something people are afraid of instead of the weirdly mildly intimidating MW dispenser that he is right now.

1 minute ago, jeanfluflu said:

new drakes units are on the way for sure but resculpting a big monster like the stardrake would be really tons of work for low sales i think.

Making these kind of kits is expensive, not many people play them unless it is a key element from your army (maw krusha, leviadon...etc).
I hope i'm wrong and GW will update the stardrake to make it something people are afraid of instead of the weirdly mildly intimidating MW dispenser that he is right now.

On one hand I enjoy as many new kits as possible, on the other I got this Starcast list all painted up with dracothian guards, stardrakes, liberators and judicators and it sounds like I might have to redo everything with the new and probably "better" kits. A luxury first world problem I guess, however some armies could need such a replacement treatment more I think ;)

1 minute ago, Scurvydog said:

On one hand I enjoy as many new kits as possible, on the other I got this Starcast list all painted up with dracothian guards, stardrakes, liberators and judicators and it sounds like I might have to redo everything with the new and probably "better" kits. A luxury first world problem I guess, however some armies could need such a replacement treatment more I think ;)

I mean, my stadrake characters are already magnetised to swap templar/celestant so, IF they do a new stadrake character and the base size it's the same (doubt they can go bigger, and it would be weird to be smaller for a "stronger" version), I don't think it will be too difficult to convert old ones to thundestrike

7 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I mean, my stadrake characters are already magnetised to swap templar/celestant so, IF they do a new stadrake character and the base size it's the same (doubt they can go bigger, and it would be weird to be smaller for a "stronger" version), I don't think it will be too difficult to convert old ones to thundestrike

IF you or some of your friends get a 3D printer you could use mine i just finished it and am currently printing it.
It is huge though and you'll need to buy and glue a stormcast character on the base but i'll put it on gumroad for 1 euro just like i did with the gor gruntas sculpt i made:

Aucune description disponible.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

Yndrasta looks really good. Not the highest damage output but she is tough and revives a dude every turn. Combos really well with 6 Praetors.

Annihilators and Vindictors are both good, but expensive. 140 points for 10 wounds is rough, even if they are 3+.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

IF you or some of your friends get a 3D printer you could use mine i just finished it and am currently printing it.
It is huge though and you'll need to buy and glue a stormcast character on the base but i'll put it on gumroad for 1 euro just like i did with the gor gruntas sculpt i made:

amazing stuff man! really wish I had access to a 3d printer or to a friend-with-a-printer :D

5 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Thoughts: need to see new Lib and Sequitor warscrolls and any further Thunderstrike synergy before making a decision on Vindictors. I like what I see and they are the future though so it’s only a matter of time.

Praetors are really, really good. Will definitely see them a lot.

Annihilators are on the top end but I think you’ll still see at least one in most lists. Spam lists will be fun.

Imperatant is auto include at 160.

Knight-Arcanum is horrendously overpriced.

New Vexillor at just 5 more with a heal/resurrect is bonkers good, near must take for an elite army.

Yndrasta is actually quite good and makes a mockery of the Celestant Prime. I’d use her. 

If you are only bringing him for a free command point every turn he is not worth 160.

Imperatant is only auto include if you have a THUNDERSTRIKE unit you want to drop in with Scions.

If you're playing Stormkeeps he is not an auto-include.

If you are playing non-THUNDERSTRIKE units he is not an auto-include.

If you are playing mostly shooting units then he is not an auto-include.

Praetors are good but at over 50 points per model if you only protect a single hero you're likely better just bringing a second copy of that hero. I'm sure they will see play protecting key heroes like Yndrasta, Celestant Prime, maybe a combo piece like a Lord-Ordinator. Having 3 Praetors bodyguard multiple heroes at the same time is good value.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

If you are only bringing him for a free command point every turn he is not worth 160.

Imperatant is only auto include if you have a THUNDERSTRIKE unit you want to drop in with Scions.

Praetors are good but at over 50 points per model if you only protect a single hero you're likely better just bringing a second copy of that hero. I'm sure they will see play protecting key heroes like Yndrasta, Celestant Prime, maybe a combo piece like a Lord-Ordinator. Having 3 Praetors bodyguard multiple heroes at the same time is good value.

Yeah I assumed everyone will be gravitating towards Thunderstrike, particularly Annihilators, so value of Imperatant is up big.

Praetors sat around any big hero or gaggle of smaller heroes are good.

2 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Yeah I assumed everyone will be gravitating towards Thunderstrike, particularly Annihilators, so value of Imperatant is up big.

Praetors sat around any big hero or gaggle of smaller heroes are good.

which is something key i think.

Units like this are common in 40K even with the much more powerful "look out sir" that this game has.

In AoS and in the current shooting META this is great that more and more armies have access to this type of units, heroes are so key to certain strategies that having no way to protect characters is often the turning points of some games.

bladelords offer the same thing for lumineth and i think it would sanitize the game to get these type of units for the majority of armies (with the condition that they have decent warscrolls).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

@PJetski drew up new warscrolls about how to give each ranged unit a different role. while I'd love another, sleeker ranged unit alongside the Black Watch judis I need to build, they'll probably need to be anti-large to fit into our existing roster?

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

According to leaks the krule boyz HQ with the stabgrot is 140. In a horde army so points are going up all accross the board.

Not sure which other non Warlord HQ would you like to play other than the imperatant guy. Imperatant most likely wont take up a drop space with the new core battalion rules and he gives you 1 CP every turn. I think being able to have a free CP on your opponent's turn even if you used all your CPs on your turn is super strong.  

Thinking of a way to get the most out of Praetors...

Keep Castellant close to general or other lynchpin hero. Use lantern on Praetors to create a solid block of healable bodyguards, forcing your opponent to decide whether they deal with buffed bodyguards or kill Castellant before general?

Gryph-friend also helps defend against deepstrike, will have 4/3/4/-/1, and can escape melee before retaliation

10 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Thinking of a way to get the most out of Praetors...

Keep Castellant close to general or other lynchpin hero. Use lantern on Praetors to create a solid block of healable bodyguards, forcing your opponent to decide whether they deal with buffed bodyguards or kill Castellant before general?

Gryph-friend also helps defend against deepstrike, will have 4/3/4/-/1, and can escape melee before retaliation

Why the Castellant? All out Defence Does the same thing 

If that is how it's worded. I thought it was you can only give the same unit one command per phase and not each command only once.

And there have been rumors floating around that you can only ever have + or - 1 to hit, wound and save. Still I like my Castellant.

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Why the Castellant? All out Defence Does the same thing 

As others mentioned, for the lantern heal specifically since 3 wounds is much easier to heal than 2. I'd rather be able to bank a CP or use AOD as a charge reaction, than be forced to use a CP against heroes being sniped.

My other thinking was that in the case of bubbling the Imperatant, the gryph-hound helps prevent him being deepstriked + allows him to shoot the unit :)

• Like 1