AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, aceytrixx said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone did the math and your basically always better off adding more ballista then spending the points on the Ordinator. 

I was curious about this! It turns out that math is a bit off - the LO overtakes another Ballista after 4 (not accounting for the 40 point LO premium). 

Comparing 4 Ballistas with LO to just 5 Ballistas, when taking into account only the passive +1 to hit, the1x shots will do roughly the same damage (7.76 vs 7.80) while the 4x shots will do considerably more (18.68 vs 15.55). I did not take into account the Command Ability, as that would require a lot more point weighing and measuring what exactly a CP every turn is going to be worth in 2.0 (50? More than 50? Less? Flexibility dependent?). If you look at only the 4x shot comparisons, the LO becomes a roughly equal buy after only 2 Ballistas. 

Also keep in mind that the LO passive +1 to hit works regardless of whether he is a general or not. 140 for just a hit buff on your Ballistas might seem a bit high, but remember people were taking a 300 point Celestial Hurricanum while spamming shooters for essentially the same purpose (I know, the CH is much more useful at range and shooting is less useful overall now).  If you plan on spamming war machines, including an LO even as a non-general is a solid bet. I believe his CA is much better suited for large war machines, like the KO Ironclad. 

1 hour ago, mDaro said:

I don't get this at all. They've just made sure the majprity of us don't buy the featured new characters or get to use them. What gives? I was so excited to get these when I saw the pics. Whats the point now. I can't use their command abilities.

As a Hammers of Sigmar player, I totally agree.  This is a pretty silly thing to do.

I'm not getting them because their models are just not as cool as some of the earlier stuff.  The face on that flying thing is just strange.  There are all sorts of interesting knight and lord models I don't have yet and the starter set stormcast wizards seem sufficient without these ones.  And with the Allies rules in matched play and their extension in a different form to Open and Narrative play, I have so many other Order wizards to choose from in every way to play.

Maybe with these characters being ones that appear in the stories like the short stories in the rulebook and glymmforge books as well as the soul wars novel, that people will want them for narrative reasons?

Still can't see that as a reason to make their abilities Hammers of Sigmar only.  Why not have the players be able to decide to have a Hallowed Knights equivalent?  I highly doubt combining these abilities with those of the battallion abilities of any other stormhost that might have some is really going to break anything.

• Like 2

Yeah seems like a backwards move. Do we know if the stormhosts are staying or being changed?

Regardless, like in 40k, if I want to paint my stuff neon pink and call them Hammers of Sigmar I will...and no one can do ****** about it as GW has daid multiple times over years that it doesnt matter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

That's actually exactly how it's written.  Wounds are allocated one at a time, so if I have 1 wound remaining on a model and 2 must be allocated I would:

1) allocate the first wound.  

2) the model is slain

3) cycle of storm is triggered, returning 1 wound to the slain model and preventing it from being removed.

4) allocate the second wound.

5) the model is slain.

6) the model is removed

Fair point.   Still a dumb ability, it should be set the model back up with one wound this stopping the overkill mechanism. That would be more useful.

3 hours ago, ledha said:

Wait, some people don't find the evocator ultra good ? They are so above our paladins that it's hilarious.

Yeah I'm kinda wondering this myself. I've played 4 games with them now vs Fyreslayers, Death, Sylvaneth and Slaanesh. Each game they were huge, the worst they did was 1-shotting a squad of 10 Seekers, then tying up 20 daemonettes the rest of the game.

Best they did was taking Alarielle from full to 4 wounds remaining while she had mystic shield on.

Compared to a Lord Arkanum i think Aventis is bad.

For 120 points more  we get:

+3 wounds

heal 1 every Hero Phase

+4 Move

A Couple of low Mortal wound throws

+1 to hit missile weapons if we fly over

2nd Spell and Bann

Command Ability +1 wound for a Unit( missile too)

good Spell

better Combat stats

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 2

I just noticed that Soulbrights command ability affects units wholly within 12” as compared to LAoGC which only affects units within 6”.  

Edit: Her spell might be the worst spell in the game but she only has one cast anyway and I am 99% certain we will get SCE spell lores in the new battletome. 

Edited by Kadanga

43 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

I just noticed that Soulbrights command ability affects units wholly within 12” as compared to LAoGC which only affects units within 6”.  

Edit: Her spell might be the worst spell in the game but she only has one cast anyway and I am 99% certain we will get SCE spell lores in the new battletome. 

For some reason, I hadn’t even considered that! I really hope the chamber rules are good but spell lores could help justify some of these points costs too?

51 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

Well we know from the article that there will be at least 3 stormcast specific endless spells. GWPreview-June24-StormcastSpells3y.jpg

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Looks like Arkanum on Dracoline will be better than on gryph charger.

Do they have the same point cost?

Both Heroes have that Lord Arcanum keyword. So Sequitors Battleline?!?!

They do have the same points cost.  The LAoGC has a pretty spectacular spell if paired with a Stardrake.  D3 heal on 4+ or d6 on 7+

5 hours ago, Kadanga said:

Oh I hadnt noticed that buff to the command ability. Its going it be hard to decide which Lord Arcanum you want I think. The Gryph Charger option feels out of place when they could have just not bothered with that and done the dracoline model in the box. I definitely see myself ending up with all 4 options though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Compared to a Lord Arkanum i think Aventis is bad.

For 120 points more  we get:

+3 wounds

heal 1 every Hero Phase

+4 Move

A Couple of low Mortal wound throws

+1 to hit missile weapons if we fly over

2nd Spell and Bann

Command Ability +1 wound for a Unit( missile too)

good Spell

better Combat stats

He is still the first and only way for stormcast to buff missile weapons. +1 to hit as well to wound for shooting unit is HUGE, especially since stormcast only had a reroll 1 to hit with the azyros until then

9 hours ago, mDaro said:

I don't get this at all. They've just made sure the majprity of us don't buy the featured new characters or get to use them. What gives? I was so excited to get these when I saw the pics. Whats the point now. I can't use their command abilities.

Rulewise “Hammers of sigmar” doesn’t mean that your army is painted gold with blue. It means that when you make your list you give them the “Hammers of sigmar” stormhost. 

It’s the same with Kharadron Overlords where a lot of lists use the same skyport (think its barak-ubarz) but you see all kinds of diffrent paint schemes.

9 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I was curious about this! It turns out that math is a bit off - the LO overtakes another Ballista after 4 (not accounting for the 40 point LO premium). 

Comparing 4 Ballistas with LO to just 5 Ballistas, when taking into account only the passive +1 to hit, the1x shots will do roughly the same damage (7.76 vs 7.80) while the 4x shots will do considerably more (18.68 vs 15.55). I did not take into account the Command Ability, as that would require a lot more point weighing and measuring what exactly a CP every turn is going to be worth in 2.0 (50? More than 50? Less? Flexibility dependent?). If you look at only the 4x shot comparisons, the LO becomes a roughly equal buy after only 2 Ballistas. 

Also keep in mind that the LO passive +1 to hit works regardless of whether he is a general or not. 140 for just a hit buff on your Ballistas might seem a bit high, but remember people were taking a 300 point Celestial Hurricanum while spamming shooters for essentially the same purpose (I know, the CH is much more useful at range and shooting is less useful overall now).  If you plan on spamming war machines, including an LO even as a non-general is a solid bet. I believe his CA is much better suited for large war machines, like the KO Ironclad. 

Yeah I think I struggle with wanting to turn those 5s into 4s for the multi shot so on my head I really want the Ordinator even though outside of battalions I'll probably only run 2 maybe 3 max. The Ordinator is also easier to kill than a ballista which is another thing to consider. 

The hurricanum is awesome for the +1 but it's the wizard and the mortal wound output that was fantastic on that thing. I haven't used mine in a while becuse it did so much in my list I felt bad haha. 

18 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

I dunno about this beasty's face. If I could find a nice horse face to replace it I'd seriously consider it.

20180626_152853.jpg

I totally agreed and at first was very disappointed.
However I think we could be looking at a multipart kit and this is the option for the hammers of sigmar named character. Like the Maw crusha for the Iron jawz.
We might find that this kit comes with a different head option for the beastie and weapon and aesthetic load out for the rider.  

Also I also feel the paint scheme GW does for on their display models unusually makes them a bit meh.
Once we see a few variations on how he's painted up it might look better.

The 2 new mounted beast look a bit weird to me. After seeing all the superb sculpts of NH, it was a (slight) disapointment. So, most of the interesting  units are in the starter box for me especially the ballista.

But I must admit that I can't avoid buying the new heros: there was a big gap between the dracoh (and mounted heros)  and the stardrake: those new heros fill the hole as intermediate heros/monster. That is for me one of the best point for them

26 minutes ago, Chrisdanish said:

Do we have the points costs for the new mounted heroes? I though I had seen them somewhere but I can't seem to find them.

Cheers

220 for Solbright, 360 for Aventis, 140 for Lord Exorcist

I really like the Sacrosant models, but feel like the only models who will be worth it for competitive are Sequitors.(with lord arcanum as general)

Think the only things i will pick up are 2 units of 5 Sequitors with swords and a Arcanum on foot or Dracoline. Maybe a balista, but i feel like Judicators are more consistent and better.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

220 for Solbright, 360 for Aventis, 140 for Lord Exorcist

I really like the Sacrosant models, but feel like the only models who will be worth it for competitive are Sequitors.(with lord arcanum as general)

Think the only things i will pick up are 2 units of 5 Sequitors with swords and a Arcanum on foot or Dracoline. Maybe a balista, but i feel like Judicators are more consistent and better.

240 for Lord Arcanum on Dracoline and 340 for Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, too. Generic versions.

If you run the numbers, you will see the Balista is a lot better than Judicators for the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

240 for Lord Arcanum on Dracoline and 340 for Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, too. Generic versions.

If you run the numbers, you will see the Balista is a lot better than Judicators for the price.

Not  over 18 inch. Under 18 inch the balistas are better.