AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, rosa said:

So, let's all post and discuss new all-comers lists with the new point adjustments.

How would a new allrounder list look like?

This is what I brought to a recent game as a "tough but not too optimised" list

Worked pretty well against a melee oriented StD (in forcing the hand), double tapping judicators were more effective than I had given them credit for

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

LEADERS
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Plate of Perfect Protection
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

Lord-Castellant (120)
- Artefact : Soulthief
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200)
- Spell : Thundershock
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell : Lightning Blast
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell : Chain Lightning
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
UNITS
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

20 x Judicators (560)
- Skybolt Bows
- 4 x Shockbolt Bows

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Everblaze Comet (100)

• Thanks 1

Interesting... I have seen 20 Judicators more frequently after the reduction. A lot of points though...

I might try that out.

PS: you don't have a battalion, right? Hence, where is the second artefact from?

Edited by rosa

I'm considering taking Shielded by Faith over Staunch Defenders on a Stardrake with the loss of Ignax Scales. Plate of Perfect Protection gives the big boss relatively good protection against rend attacks anyways, and the Castellant can still shine a light. Given the amount of MWs being thrown around right now, I don't think you can take a big Hero without some sort of ward save. 

42 minutes ago, rosa said:

Interesting... I have seen 20 Judicators more frequently after the reduction. A lot of points though...

I might try that out.

PS: you don't have a battalion, right? Hence, where is the second artefact from?

I do, didn't copy it from the list: I have the Grand Convocation

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I'm considering taking Shielded by Faith over Staunch Defenders on a Stardrake with the loss of Ignax Scales. Plate of Perfect Protection gives the big boss relatively good protection against rend attacks anyways, and the Castellant can still shine a light. Given the amount of MWs being thrown around right now, I don't think you can take a big Hero without some sort of ward save. 

Yeah, consireded the same but concluded Staunch a) adds a lot also to the rest of the army and b) helps against alpha strikes. Losing the dragon to t1 shooting is a danger (IMHO) more present than lots of concentrated MWs. Anyway, surely worth trying!

20 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Remind me what does Shielded by Faith and Plate of PP do?

Shielded by Faith is a Command Trait that gives the General a 5+ MW shrug. Plate of Perfect Protection is the new Chamon Artifact that makes the bearer ignore Rend -1. 

No, it's not as good as Staunch + Ignax, but we lost that, so I'm trying to make do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Shielded by Faith is a Command Trait that gives the General a 5+ MW shrug. Plate of Perfect Protection is the new Chamon Artifact that makes the bearer ignore Rend -1. 

No, it's not as good as Staunch + Ignax, but we lost that, so I'm trying to make do.

Yeah that seems like a good combo. Plus with a castellant, we can still have staunch (sorta). I was also thinking of possible divine light on the stardrake. Lots of shooters now (Vanguard Raptors, Chameleon skinks, LRL archers) do MWs on 6s, not to mention some hard hitting stuff too like the Insensate Rage thirster and the tgheist. Maybe making them re roll 6s against it isnt the worst idea

5 hours ago, rosa said:

So, let's all post and discuss new all-comers lists with the new point adjustments.

How would a new allrounder list look like?

Most recent Starcast list I tested:

Mortal Realm: Chamon
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
Drakesworn Templar (420)

- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection

Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Balewind Vortex (40)

• Thanks 1

As of now, I am playing with this list.

279090954_SCEbattlehost.jpg.c45496769a306e5f816fdd5e8467ff29.jpg

Celestant-Prime is still too fragile for hist points cost, but is devastating when cautiously deployed as mobile artillery that can put some dent on toughest foes.

Lantern of the Tempest is the artefact of my choice because of good ranged units dealing mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6. Longstrike vanguard-raptors, Lumineth sentinels, Seraphon salamanders, for example.

For similar reasons, I took fulminators as my main damage dealing unit due to their high resistance to shooting attacks. Their bonus damages on the charge also mean they are less penalised than other Dracothian Guards when up against coalesced Seraphon.

Vanguard-Palladors are mobile enough to grab distant objectives in Total Commitment, and also strong enough to clear chaff units holding objectives.

Lastly, I chose ballistas over longstrikes because they are more durable against enemy shooting, i.e. they have lower points-per-wound. Balliastas become even more resistant to enemy shooting when tucked in cover. And I greatly appreciate it in the era when SCE is no longer the prime shooting faction in AoS, even if it means I must sacrifice reliability of firepower(i.e. number of shots).

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Enjoying this chat folks. With regards to what's a good all-comers list I'm trying to get my head around how to build for Better Part of Valour. Obviously it's all about battleline, so I'm caught between whether it's better to beef up the numbers in your battleline units - which prob means taking Sequitors, as 10 Libs seems meh - or maybe taking more battleline units. What's everyone's take on how to build for that scenario?

Looking at the battleplans you ideally want good battleline, mobile heroes and a behemoth in order to max your scoring chances. So basically I'm trying to work out how best to do all/some of these. It's not easy! 

Anyway, I've got a wee one-dayer coming up in a couple of weeks and going to run the below. I don't think it's optimal at the moment, but I'm for fun and to dust of the cobwebs and Eltharion should be a laugh to use.

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Deathly Aura 
- Spell: Stormcaller
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief 
The Light of Eltharion (220)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
10 x Evocators (420)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 220 / 400
Wounds: 117

Edited by stuntymike

Yeah I've seen that, but I'm not keen. I think it will be pretty unfun to play against as it'll absolutely murder done armies. I also think it'll get stomped by some armies in return. I prefer to try and play mixed lits as far as I can for my own enjoyment. It's going to be interesting to see how that list goes in singles play though, I'm inclined to think it'll do better in Team Play

48 minutes ago, Snoogens said:

Thoughts about this crazy super battalion list thats now possible? Crazy ranged power.

B49D0CFE-022B-4910-84C6-112425E47EA6.png

someone talked about this earlier, on paper it is insane, especially with Anvils of heldenhammer (you start with lots of CP and can shoot each of your raptors units twice......for a grand total of 36 shots........nobody want to get on the other end of this, thus making this pretty frustrating to play against and definitely not very fun for you either).

It's a one drop armywhich is super nice considering that you might almost always choose who start the game.

The list is quit fragile though, with only 15 vanguard hunters as your lines i don't know how you would hold objectives though....
Time and tournaments will tell if it's as OP as it seems

Basically you play 1500pts vs 2000pts

Edited by jeanfluflu

1 hour ago, stuntymike said:

I'm inclined to think it'll do better in Team Play

Now there's a thought. With the range, 1 drop, and potential for double shots turn one, it could be a seraphon/Teclis counter list. Don't know if that makes it worthwhile. 

Stormbro's! Lightning round question. 

I'm about to start building my second unit of Vanguard Raptors. I would like to be able to field them as three and 6 man squads. And later on as 3x3 and a 9 squad. But what to do with the champions and the irregular bases?

Currently my best idea is to build two bases and magnetise the feet. Or maybe a rock or something he stands on. 

Anyone that has a better idea?

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Stormbro's! Lightning round question. 

I'm about to start building my second unit of Vanguard Raptors. I would like to be able to field them as three and 6 man squads. And later on as 3x3 and a 9 squad. But what to do with the champions and the irregular bases?

Currently my best idea is to build two bases and magnetise the feet. Or maybe a rock or something he stands on. 

Anyone that has a better idea?

I built one champion in the aiming pose on the long base and just perched the bird on the bow, close to his head. Worked out pretty well.

31 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I built one champion in the aiming pose on the long base and just perched the bird on the bow, close to his head. Worked out pretty well.

Yeah and just accept that it’s a different base? Or did you find a solution for that? 

3 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys a question about eatherwings. Can i move them 2d6 within 3" of an enemy unit that  is charging if im within 18" my longstrike unit?or i have to move maximum 3" far enemy unit like normal? Ty all!

You can move them within 3" of an enemy and therefore prevent them to make a charge. It can win you games

• Like 1

8 hours ago, azdimy said:

You can move them within 3" of an enemy and therefore prevent them to make a charge. It can win you games

I also play it this way, but what is the exact rules wording, that allows me to do so? Isn't generally entering the 3" zone forbidden without a charge move?

51 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I also play it this way, but what is the exact rules wording, that allows me to do so? Isn't generally entering the 3" zone forbidden without a charge move?

Yes, it was clarified  on page 5  in the Core rule designer commentary pdf as it is not a normal move, it does not restrict you to finish more than 3" away from the enemy

Edited by azdimy

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

You are misunderstanding how movement works in this game.

You can't end a move within 3" of an enemy model during the movement phase. If you make a move in any other phase that rule is not relevant.

Regarding Celestant Prime, I got into a discussion regarding his "retribution from on high", we have been playing it with the Scions of the storm rule of 1 unit on the table for each in the celestial realm, however I got to thinking, that nothing on the Primes warscroll mentions this and the ability seems completely unrelated.

For example, would it then not be possible to have 3 units of liberators on the board and 3 in the celestial realm and then also the prime in the heavens in reserve?