AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I actually welcome Malign Sorcery artefact becoming obsolete. Only a handful of them were being used, with vast majority of them being not even used in friendly games. It clearly shows how unbalanced the entire range of artefacts were. And I never found fun in seeing every people bringing the popular few: ethereal amulet, scales of ignax, etc.

Although these powerful artefacts gave more benefits to relatively underpowered factions(scales of ignax on stardrake for example), I did not see it as a huge improvement for the weaker factions.

SCE might lose an arm because of this change, but SCE was already a cripple without two other limbs anyway.

• Like 1

Ive been allying in Scourgerunner chariots , 6 of em for 300 points for some missile damage and mobility. 

Might try putting in some elvish archers, if theyre 120, a squad of 30 or so might put some serious hurt at 30 inches with evocators on cats to backup.

Man eveyrones getting MW output, extra attacks and defense. How the hell are sequitors 130 still

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Might try putting in some elvish archers, if theyre 120, a squad of 30 or so might put some serious hurt at 30 inches with evocators on cats to backup.

Thought the same for my Starcast list, but LRL archers are actually 140 pts so you can only have 20. I am now thinking of taking a slann (to be Kroak-increases-proof) + 10 archers: nice round 400 points

Edited by Marcvs

2 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Firstly, it’s a “take all comers” list. Pointing out certain armies that will full counter it and using that as basis for it not being in the list is a non-argument. In a random or tournament situation, it’s true that some armies will hard counter you, but if you lose against those armies, you’ll spend the entire rest of the tournament playing against armies that can’t, at which point it becomes a non-sequitor.

In any case, in a nutshell the spells are used like this.

Deploy the knight encantor as late as possible, more than 30” away from any opposing wizards, but 36” away from the best spot to land it. You will be out dropped 80% of your games and your opponent will almost always make you go first. Cast meteor, and hope for the best.

If your opponent has a bunch of 5 wound heroes in a small clump, drop the prime next and use the comet to wipe out as many as you can turn 1.

Drop the birds, raptors, and aetherwings within 18” of a damaged hero alternatively, to kill it off turn 1.

Dias arcanum is cast second, at which point the encantor turns into a flying objective grabber (can also be cast first turn to grab an objective as well.

Maelstrom is almost never cast, but just something you throw out late game if all your other spells got out, to add insult to injury. You just throw it into the closest combat and it screws up other casters and eventually explodes. It’s just a 10 point filler spell, that’s all.

Edit: As for the extra command point, you have to have it for Gavriel. There’s no choice not to take the extra command point.

I didn't mean to offend you and I wasn't pointing out things that counter it directly, I didn't use any armies as an example. I also didn't say the prime or the comet were a bad idea, I just pointed out that you have points of the table that you could utilize better considering you have 1 caster.

I would adjust that 40 pts into some other units so that you get the most bang for your buck. I would take the 30 from the dais and put that into longstrikes instead. Or I would rather drop the 10 pts and pick up a triumph rather putting in a MM. I get the just of the comet, but when it doesn't go off first turn your going to want to cast it on the second turn and usually I'm looking for a mystic shield in turns 2-5 on an evo unit if my comet has been cast (especially if I'm buffing them with a castellant why wouldn't I want 3s rerolling 1s?), rather than buffing my caster thats been at the back of the board casting his spells from 30-36" out. Usually my caster is holding down the objective on my side of the board and doesn't need the mobility, imo that's what the deepstike gav and your prime has a 24" effective range (12" move and 12" auto charge) Also if your opponent has gotten first turn and stuffed you with a dispel then you may not get it off either.

The comet is amazing in combo with the prime and is worth taking everytime. However; there may be games where you want to autodispel a strong caster as well and thus need to move up your incantor. I'm just saying 3 endless spell aren't ideal if you can't get them down for half the game or get value from them. I would switch it up and drop the liberators and add some raptors either 2 units of 3 or one unit of 6 and keep the same amount of drops in and off the table. This will give you some ranged threat to pick off the targets your stacking your comet and prime on. You sacrifice 4 wounds but add tons to your ranged threat control and ability to pick off key targets.

I just went undefeated in my last tourney in February right before covid hit using staunchcast with a stardrake, prime, and comet, but I do own and have played the entire range. I like your strategy in all parts and I think your spot on with strategy, but like I said I think you get more out of the list by dropping some of the extra spells since you have only 1 cast per turn in your incantor. Also instead of Starfall you could pick up Azerite halo for reflecting mortal wound 6s in your buffed evo unit or give them +1 to wound (celestial blades) to combo with empower. Maybe even speed of lighting for a charge reroll using gav idk.

Ex:Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Starfall
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maturin said:

Starcast will be heavily nerfed because of that.

In a word, yes. That being said, there is only a very thin string of sinew holding Starcast to the main Stormcast body. A very small part of it is pride (the point is to try to get another SC list that's semi decent into the meta). Then the rest is Staunch Defender. I 'spose a little is deepstriking.

Basically, until the new tome comes, each little cut that weakens SC lists are just an incentive to think out of the box with an Order list with mostly SC models.

I want to use the masses of SC models I've painted basically, it's not about taking the best list / army at a given time.

And then, within probably 6 months or so (total guess) SC will have a new book and we will see what we'll see.  I will make Starcast live on in spirit - though it will certainly change form.

Tbh I've got a real hankering for Paladincast - have for ages. I want to play with the 15 seq, 15 libs, 10 juds, 20 paladins I own and have ppl be fearful instead of joyful :)

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 3

@Turragor Thing is, I started playing SCE in 2018. My first list was a 1250 points tournament using "Skyborne slayers". It's an outdated yet effective battalion if you mix it with other stuff. Tbh, if you like paladins, you should try something around it.

Edited by Maturin

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

@Turragor Thing is, I started playing SCE in 2018. My first list was a 1250 points tournament using "Skyborne slayers". It's an outdated yet effective battalion if you mix it with other stuff. Tbh, if you like paladins, you should try something around it.

Yeah I like Skyborne Slayers but have never played them at a tourney. When I first started playing (pre-ghb with different comp point systems) I was fond of Hammerstrike Force if I wanted to take Paladins. I think Skyborne Slayers is decent still, the all in one drop is the only problem.

But I digress, whilst I like the idea of playing lots of SC foot-troops, I'm a complete Starcast fanatic. I mean, and this is amusing, I found my thoughts and "list plan" after the very first AoS tournament (no - very first tabletop game tournament) I played :), it was posted right on these boards in my backwards Swedish (which is a bit better now haha)

Leaders
Lord Celestant On Stardrake (600)
Celestant-Prime (360)
Lord Castellant (100)
Units
Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Liberators x 5 (100)
- Warhammers and shields
Concussors x 2 (280)
Fulminators x 2 (240)
Total: 2000/2000

That's the original birth, I guess, of my own Starcast type list ha

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After reading Lumineth battletome and comparing it to ours, the only thing i can say is sad. The number of passive boost, spells, AA, etc.... Our entire spell lores can be summared as Azyrite halo and deal d3 mortals... While they have everything.

Guys, like i really love this army. I play only them, i have succes with them. But if SCE doesnt get what SM in 40k get in terms of power, i dont know what i will do.

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

After reading Lumineth battletome and comparing it to ours, the only thing i can say is sad. The number of passive boost, spells, AA, etc.... Our entire spell lores can be summared as Azyrite halo and deal d3 mortals... While they have everything.

Guys, like i really love this army. I play only them, i have succes with them. But if SCE doesnt get what SM in 40k get in terms of power, i dont know what i will do.

Buy LRL. GW wants you to do it. I did to my great shame!

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

And i say thank god they dont get near the same support, SM in 40k are hated for that (as an eldar player i still have 1990 models, while SM gets release every ****** semester)

Problem of AOS is the seriusly powercreep spike, after NH tome they got to OP land ad now older armies needs to be updated

Well, all of us wait for new tome, and I bet it’s gonna be awesome. Almost all new releases are great. Tbh, I hope they will not open new chamber, because that means they most certainly do nothing to improve older units. Man, I’d love to be able to do something with my vanguards and paladins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Buy LRL. GW wants you to do it. I did to my great shame!

Never! :D

1 hour ago, Yondaime said:

And i say thank god they dont get near the same support, SM in 40k are hated for that (as an eldar player i still have 1990 models, while SM gets release every ****** semester)

Problem of AOS is the seriusly powercreep spike, after NH tome they got to OP land ad now older armies needs to be updated

SCE are hated too. I dont care. In my group nearly all players hate stormcast, for everything lol. But GW made SM pawerful, which was a good thing. They also made them super op for short amount of time but they nerfed them.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Never! :D

SCE are hated too. I dont care. In my group nearly all players hate stormcast, for everything lol. But GW made SM pawerful, which was a good thing. They also made them super op for short amount of time but they nerfed them.

Why the hate tho? cause they are the posterboys?

Never found some1 in my locals that hates SCE, especially now that they are almost gone in the competitive meta xD

18 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

Why the hate tho? cause they are the posterboys?

Never found some1 in my locals that hates SCE, especially now that they are almost gone in the competitive meta xD

Yea, because they are poster boys.