AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I started SCE myself not to long ago so I know what you mean. It can be very difficult to get started with them because you can take about 10 differents paths with them. 

What I did was I bought the Thunderstrike Brotherhood starter box. In hindsight this was good choice because of two things: 10 liberators (and you can use 2 of the retributors as liberators primes with grandhammers), and Lord Relictor. The rest is meh on the table, but Lord Celestant on Dracoth was a lot of fun to paint and is a lot of fun to use in games - and I find it annoying that he lacks the shield that the model should have - but he is very easy to kill and cost a lot of points.  

I’ve got quite a few models now and my 50 cents are that when you are starting SCE you need to think ahead, at least a little bit. What models do you like? What heroes (because there a lot of them) do you think have cool abilities? Do you like the endless spells? From there you will probably be able to get very good advice here. 

The Soulstrike box is a very good start but if you go down that route you need a Lord Arcanum (preferably on dracoline since you have 6 evocators on dracolines). Without her your sequitors are not battle line. That would give you a very solid start. From there you can extend with more heroes, I would probably say Lord Castellant (gives a nice +1 to save with potential to heal if your the attacks targeting the unit doesn’t have rend) and/or Knight Heraldor are very good additions. 

But like I said, it very much depends. If you for example love the shooting lists, then you should absoutely not get the battleforce box. In that case the vanguard starting set is quite okay (mostly because you get Lord Aquilor), but then you are gonna want to get some Longstrike crossbows and liberators.

It is also a lot about what kind of armies you are going to be playing against. Sure SCE isnt the best faction out there, but some units could be very mean if you’re playing against a complete beginner who have a below-par army. In the end it is all about having fun, and personally I find the variety of heroes that SCE offer makes for a really fun army that can play any number of ways with quite little adjustment. Want to snipe something in your opponents backline? Pick translocation as your prayer for your Lord Relictor. Want to force your opponent to reroll some very strong 6’s to hit? Pick Divine Light as the prayer, and build a wall of unkillable sequitors. There is just so many ways to play. 

Are there any heroes or playstyles you prefer? And who are you going to play against? 🙂 

9 hours ago, DragonRider said:

Hello guys! Been hopping between possible armies, even started Idoneth Deepkin (passed them on in the end) and now I'm keen on starting both Sylvaneth and  perhaps Stormcast Eternals. I've been digging through youtube, reddit and here for armylists and builds but still for some reason, feel kind of lost. From what I have gathered Stormcasts are in an awkward position at the moment but I think it will be a long time before I find myself in an tournament.
What should I get for 1000 points to start? I like playstyles that are clever, so preferably variations in strategy so the answer is not always to dash and smash. :D I enjoy wide variety in an army of hammer & anvil, magic, ranged...
Would Stormcast Eternals Exorcism Soulstrike -box be a good place to start? I would not like to go through the hassle of selling soul wars nighthaunt halves and the unit sizes are annoying. How about the Vanguard Start collecting? 

My post above was ment to quote this post. 

57 minutes ago, Django said:

Are there any heroes or playstyles you prefer? And who are you going to play against? 🙂 

Thank you AverageBoss and Django for your comments!
>"What models do you like? What heroes (because there a lot of them) do you think have cool abilities?"
I adore Celestant-Prime, Aventis Firestrike, Neave, Vandus, Lord-Castellant with Gryph-hound and Stardrake. Honestly, no problems in the hero department, anything goes! I try to save some money to get rank and file troops so these larger minis are mostly out of the question right now, but in the future will definitely look into them. Could you build Lord-Arcanum on dracoline from one of the Evocators on Dracolines? 

I'd like to play durable army that requires some strategy other than charge in and battle, maybe careful maneuvering and other tactics. I like shooting and magic but don't like if it's the main thing (ruled out Kharadron overlords earlier because of it), I like the idea of "holy warriors" against impossible odds so Sequitors do well with me. At this stage when I haven't played a game yet I'd like to leave endless spells away for now.
I was wondering if in the end for example, soul wars + tempest of souls with an additional 3 sequitors from easy to build box would be a good way too? Still not sure about the Exorcism Soulstrike.
EDIT: Oh geez, I just realized that if soul wars + tempest is a good choice, I could potentially get the two mentioned sets with little over what the Exorcism Soulstrike would cost and get a whole additional army or if needed, sell it away to cover half of the cost. 

Edited by DragonRider

Hello everyone! So I dove into Stormcast when 2nd edition dropped. The sacrosanct was finally what I wanted, the combination of epic paladin and powerful mage. Loved it, aesthetic, lore, the unit types.  From the first glimpse of the Lord-Ordinator and the Lord Arcanum, I wanted it. 

Grabbed a few sets of Soul Wars and......they were kinda meh. Not bad so much as just...not very interesting. Some aspects were, like the synergies of Sequitors and Evocators and the utility of a Knight Incantor. But the Castigators were depressing, the Ballista was swingy, and their spell lore was....bland. I was amped for the Celestial Warbringers, a Stormhost all about magic and prophecy, would be perfect? Still no.

So I dropped them, but after my Cities of Sigmar I wanted to try again. I wanted something more elite as a balance to the horde of Cities and well, I already have a chunk of them, so might as well. I have been finishing painting/repainting them in Tempest Lords as they fit my city's lore perfectly! And when I looked at them, they had some interesting, if slim, potential...

First: with a battalion, I can take the both the Tempest Lords relic and Aetherquartz Brooch from Hysh...meaning every command point I spend I roll 2 dice and potentially get 2 back, GAINING command points instead of spending them...? Is that really right? 

Second: How in the world do I abuse this? Gavriel is in another Stormhost and generic command abilities are solid, just not anything to write home about. The Dracoline Lord Arcanum's ability seems to be the biggest outlet for all of this. Kinda shocked this wasn't FAQd like the others, making me think it won't stay....

For now, I tried out this list today:

Lord Arcanum on Dracoline
Knight Incantor
Knight Incantor

10x Sequitors
10x Sequitors
5x Judicators
10x Evocators
3x Dracoline Evocators

Cleansing Phalanx

Just a small bit to try out, see what kind of core I like. Considered a more Ballista support instead, but...eh. The game was kind of a blow out, but due to opponent's mistakes, a double turn, and some hot dice. Not a GREAT test. But, thoughts on the list? Thoughts on Tempest Lords? Thoughts on ways to really capture that warrior mage feel and feel like a tank made of magic and steel? 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, Celestantpants said:

Has there been any inkling at all  lately that Stormcast may get an overhaul?  Do you guys think GW just isn't aware of the state Stormcast is in?  Or do they just not care?  *Puts on tinfoil hat* Is it possible they are leaving Stormcast sub par to appease the Stormcast haters?

I believe is a combination.  They are appeasing the stormcast haters for sure.  There are also a lot of already bought stormcast models, fixing the SCE issues with existing units will not have a big effect on selling more units.  I'm hoping that with a new chamber they take the time to go back and rework old units but I will not hold my breath

If they update the rules of older models those sales will rise. Considering the absurd price of early AoS models compared to newer ones (looking at you, Dracothian Guard!), that should be economically viable for Gedubbs. New models do also require development, investment and opportunity costs.

3 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

Hello everyone! So I dove into Stormcast when 2nd edition dropped. The sacrosanct was finally what I wanted, the combination of epic paladin and powerful mage. Loved it, aesthetic, lore, the unit types.  From the first glimpse of the Lord-Ordinator and the Lord Arcanum, I wanted it. 

Grabbed a few sets of Soul Wars and......they were kinda meh. Not bad so much as just...not very interesting. Some aspects were, like the synergies of Sequitors and Evocators and the utility of a Knight Incantor. But the Castigators were depressing, the Ballista was swingy, and their spell lore was....bland. I was amped for the Celestial Warbringers, a Stormhost all about magic and prophecy, would be perfect? Still no.

So I dropped them, but after my Cities of Sigmar I wanted to try again. I wanted something more elite as a balance to the horde of Cities and well, I already have a chunk of them, so might as well. I have been finishing painting/repainting them in Tempest Lords as they fit my city's lore perfectly! And when I looked at them, they had some interesting, if slim, potential...

First: with a battalion, I can take the both the Tempest Lords relic and Aetherquartz Brooch from Hysh...meaning every command point I spend I roll 2 dice and potentially get 2 back, GAINING command points instead of spending them...? Is that really right? 

Second: How in the world do I abuse this? Gavriel is in another Stormhost and generic command abilities are solid, just not anything to write home about. The Dracoline Lord Arcanum's ability seems to be the biggest outlet for all of this. Kinda shocked this wasn't FAQd like the others, making me think it won't stay....

For now, I tried out this list today:

Lord Arcanum on Dracoline
Knight Incantor
Knight Incantor

10x Sequitors
10x Sequitors
5x Judicators
10x Evocators
3x Dracoline Evocators

Cleansing Phalanx

Just a small bit to try out, see what kind of core I like. Considered a more Ballista support instead, but...eh. The game was kind of a blow out, but due to opponent's mistakes, a double turn, and some hot dice. Not a GREAT test. But, thoughts on the list? Thoughts on Tempest Lords? Thoughts on ways to really capture that warrior mage feel and feel like a tank made of magic and steel? 

Ok list is not bad, and cleasing phalanx is one if not THE best battalion we can take

just a few hints

you have a total of 5 casters, thats a bit to much, remove a incantator, 1 is enought (just time well the scroll)

Remove the judicators, one of the worst unit in the game for the point cost (160 points for that damage output is hilariusly bad), put liberators

Remove 5 evocators, 1 unit of 5 is just fine

With the remaing points you'll need A LOT of shooting support, maybe a lord ordinator and balistas or vanguard raptors (but they are very expensive)

i'd take also a castellant (with staunch defender you get a unit of sequitors with 2+ armor that heals would on a roll of 5+, rerollable)

Also, in my opinion, arcanum on gryph is SO much better because you can spend a CP to auto cast empower

Cheers

EDIT: I Dont really apreciate tempest lords, I'd use the generic trait staunch defender or celestial warbringer, but still, you get the reroll with empower 

Edited by Yondaime

1 hour ago, Lucur said:

If they update the rules of older models those sales will rise. Considering the absurd price of early AoS models compared to newer ones (looking at you, Dracothian Guard!), that should be economically viable for Gedubbs. New models do also require development, investment and opportunity costs.

But they won't want to endanger sales of a new chamber's units.  If they overhaul the SCE without a new chamber sure I can see them fixing all our issues in older units.  But, heck I have a boatload of SCE, if they fix them I won't buy anything but the book.  

21 hours ago, DragonRider said:

Thank you AverageBoss and Django for your comments!
>"What models do you like? What heroes (because there a lot of them) do you think have cool abilities?"
I adore Celestant-Prime, Aventis Firestrike, Neave, Vandus, Lord-Castellant with Gryph-hound and Stardrake. Honestly, no problems in the hero department, anything goes! I try to save some money to get rank and file troops so these larger minis are mostly out of the question right now, but in the future will definitely look into them. Could you build Lord-Arcanum on dracoline from one of the Evocators on Dracolines? 

I'd like to play durable army that requires some strategy other than charge in and battle, maybe careful maneuvering and other tactics. I like shooting and magic but don't like if it's the main thing (ruled out Kharadron overlords earlier because of it), I like the idea of "holy warriors" against impossible odds so Sequitors do well with me. At this stage when I haven't played a game yet I'd like to leave endless spells away for now.
I was wondering if in the end for example, soul wars + tempest of souls with an additional 3 sequitors from easy to build box would be a good way too? Still not sure about the Exorcism Soulstrike.
EDIT: Oh geez, I just realized that if soul wars + tempest is a good choice, I could potentially get the two mentioned sets with little over what the Exorcism Soulstrike would cost and get a whole additional army or if needed, sell it away to cover half of the cost. 

You can build a Lord Arcanum on dracoline from the evocators on dracolines, but you have to field them in units of 3 (or 6, 9 etc), so if you do build one from the 6 you get in the battleforce box you will only have 5 evocators left, and hence not enough to run 2x 3 of 1x6. So you should definately try to find the funds for a Asteria Soulbright. Another way is to find a Lord Arcanum on Gryph charger on Ebay, less synergy with the dracolines but better in other ways.

Sounds like you should go down the Sacrosanct chamber route then. Sequitors are very tanky if partnered with a Lord Castellant. Even more so if you run Hammers of Sigmar as your stormhost and keep your general close to them. Which you probably won't wanna do if you run evocators on cats with a LA on dracoline.

Here is a possible way of building your army from the battleforce box, with 1000p  which is a good starting point.

1000p list

Heroes

Lord arcanum on dracoline (220p)

Battleline

5x sequitors (130)

5x sequitors (130)

Other units

6x evocators on dracolines (520 p)

Total: 1000 p

Make sure you warn your opponent though, at a 1000p this list is quite nasty 😋

Hammers of Sigmar are a very nice stormhost to start of with, and you will get a lot of use of the 9 inch "Negate wound on a 6" since you will be keeping your general (lord arcanum) close to your evocators on cats.

From here you can go any number of routes. One good and cheap hero to get is a Knight Incantor (you can get one for 6 euros with a little starting book on how to paint stuff, https://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/Getting-Started-With-Age-Of-Sigmar-2018-eng).

After the Incantor you could get a Lord Castellant and either a box of evocators on foot (this would be very evocator heavy) or more sequitors. But there is any number of ways you can go. You could add a few ballistas and a Lord Ordinator for some "drop from the heaven and snipe your heroes" action, you could go for more sequitors and just be super tanky, using them as a shield before you charge in with your evocators on cats (that are better on the charge). There is a list called "Gavbomb" which uses Gavriel Surehearts command ability to get a guaranteed charge, so you deploy in the heavens (SCE allegiance ability called "Scions of the storm"), drop down, and charge whatever you want with something strong (6x evocators on cats for example), killing an important hero or unit before your opponent could even react. There are a lot of ways to play stormcast, but I think the battleforce box + lord arcanum on dracoline is a good start and will give you a feel for the army and maybe what you want to do next. To try out a bit more magic, remove 3x evocators and add a Knight incantor and spend the other difference (120p) on whatever you want. Lord Castellant for example. And it doesn't have to be super expensive (considering that there really is no "cheap" way of playing AoS haha).

Edited by Django
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello  fellow Stormies!

Just finished my Arcanum on Taurlon. Does anybody have an interesting army list including this fellow?

I know he's not great but was thinking something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- General
- Command Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Units
3 x Castigators (80)

Artillery
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Battalions
Hailstorm Battery (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

The idea is to fly over things to buff to hit on the Ballistas. Hitting on 3s (monsters on 2s). The Tauralons max movement turn 1 is 33"

IMG_20200614_200322_301.jpg

IMG_20200614_200202_689.jpg

IMG_20200614_200111_110.jpg

IMG_20200614_200427_518.jpg

IMG_20200614_200531_931.jpg

IMG_20200612_105609_106.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 6

13 hours ago, Sir Mercury said:

Hello  fellow Stormies!

Just finished my Arcanum on Taurlon. Does anybody have an interesting army list including this fellow?

I know he's not great but was thinking something like this:

- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- General
- Command Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Units
3 x Castigators (80)

Artillery
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Battalions
Hailstorm Battery (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

The idea is to fly over things to buff to hit on the Ballistas. Hitting on 3s (monsters on 2s). The Tauralons max movement turn 1 is 33"

IMG_20200614_200322_301.jpg

IMG_20200614_200202_689.jpg

IMG_20200614_200111_110.jpg

IMG_20200614_200427_518.jpg

IMG_20200614_200531_931.jpg

IMG_20200612_105609_106.jpg

Holy hell, by sigmar's beard this is some golden demon material

The list is very good too

I would remove the prime and put more sequitors tho, so you have more bodies 

May i ask you how you converted the head? its awesome

• Like 1

Hey guys! Time to ressurect this topic! Im gonna test this roster soon. Its shootcast archetype. Main idea to kill things with double TAP of Longstrike + double Jam of wall of desolators with +2 sv.

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Soulthief
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Veritant (120)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Desolators (600)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

10 liberators only becouse i didint know how to handle last 100 points. I was wondering about 2x birds, relictor for blessed weapon or Flying libs for some movements :) But i never tested 10 libs so maybe they will do something. 

What do you think hive mind of SCE?

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Looking at the 'Shining company' rule for the Lumineth, i'm very happy I build my paladins as Decimators 😂

Decimators and StarDrake to eat away the formation may be some fun playstyle against Lumineth :D

- Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Fury Brand
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
15 x Protectors (540)
- 6x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (360)
- 4x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

3 drop, potential to infinite CP to fuel judgement sword with 6 attack on charge thanks to fury brand. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

- Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Fury Brand
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer

3 drop, potential to infinite CP to fuel judgement sword with 6 attack on charge thanks to fury brand. What do you think?

I see two artifact but you didn't take the one forced by the stormhost (Patrician Helm if I am not mistaken)

PS: also, you activate the fury brand in the hero phase, which won't work if the Azyros and/or the Celestant are in the sky (more or less the whole point with Skyborne Slayers).

Edited by Marcvs

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

I see two artifact but you didn't take the one forced by the stormhost (Patrician Helm if I am not mistaken)

PS: also, you activate the fury brand in the hero phase, which won't work if the Azyros and/or the Celestant are in the sky (more or less the whole point with Skyborne Slayers).

Ah yes, so minus fury brand :P The plan was to use it from second turn :)

10 new elf archers vs 5 judicators
140 - 160
10 wounds - 10 wounds
10 models - 5 models
4+ sv - 4+ sv
-1 to hit - X
30" - 24"
6 move - 5 move
4+/4+ no rend - 3+/3+ -1
6+ (with ez spell 5+) for MW - X
No LoS - X

Yea, stormcast are in great shape :3

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

10 new elf archers vs 5 judicators
140 - 160
10 wounds - 10 wounds
10 models - 5 models
4+ sv - 4+ sv
-1 to hit - X
30" - 24"
6 move - 5 move
4+/4+ no rend - 3+/3+ -1
6+ (with ez spell 5+) for MW - X
No LoS - X

Yea, stormcast are in great shape :3

DId you do the math? I am pretty sure damage wise Judis are better, but the other stats are in elvish favor i guess :D