AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, GrungnisBeard said:

Hey all, was thinking about starting Stormcast and ran across the following army for sale. Is this a good base to start off with? The army comes out to a little over/under 1k. 

2 X 5 Vanguard Hunters

1 X 3 Vanguard Palladors

1 X 3 Vanguard Raptors

1 X 3 Aetherwings

1 X Lord Aquilor

1 X Knight Venator

1 X Naeve Blacktalon ( or ran as Knight Zephyros)

If it's for playing with friends/local games this is a fine start to the Vanguard chamber.  You can start playing 1k games/meeting engagements right away!

Also 300 bucks for a fully painted 1k points is a pretty decent price I think.

Getting steamrolled or not mostly comes down to how you play your army, not which army you play.

Edited by Sedraxis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sedraxis said:

If it's for playing with friends/local games this is a fine start to the Vanguard chamber.  You can start playing 1k games/meeting engagements right away!

Also 300 bucks for a fully painted 1k points is a pretty decent price I think.

Getting steamrolled or not mostly comes down to how you play your army, not which army you play.

For a fully painted army and the codex too, I don't think it's too bad either. Yes, you won't be winning any tournaments with it, but it's not as completely horrible as people might make it sound. There's some interesting lists you can make with that depending on the chamber you choose. The main issue you'll have is that if you're just learning to play, this is a pretty tough army to get started in the game with. The army doesn't win by directly engaging the enemy. Rather, it sort of whittles stuff down and tries to split armies up and pick off stray targets etc.... it's a weird army to learn to play and I'd wager that you'll lose a lot of games before you start to get a feel for how they work.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GrungnisBeard said:

Hey all, was thinking about starting Stormcast and ran across the following army for sale. Is this a good base to start off with? The army comes out to a little over/under 1k. 

2 X 5 Vanguard Hunters

1 X 3 Vanguard Palladors

1 X 3 Vanguard Raptors

1 X 3 Aetherwings

1 X Lord Aquilor

1 X Knight Venator

1 X Naeve Blacktalon ( or ran as Knight Zephyros)

See if you can get a 2 for 1 deal, doubling  up on all those units is an interesting enough list :P

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Maturin said:

What's a 2 for 1 deal ? (Non native speaker here).

It's another way of saying "buy one get one free" - which is actually another of the marketing terms for it  rather than the bare English meaning...  But it's pretty descriptive.

Depending on your native language you'll have a local equivalent. 

Yknow your local store has an offer on: buy one banana but get 2 

15 minutes ago, Turragor said:

It's another way of saying "buy one get one free" - which is actually another of the marketing terms for it  rather than the bare English meaning...  But it's pretty descriptive.

Depending on your native language you'll have a local equivalent. 

Yknow your local store has an offer on: buy one banana but get 2 

Yeah, well, I think, I should turn on the heater. 10 Degres C in my appartment. My brain might be freezing a bit :D

21 minutes ago, PJetski said:

According to many retailers the Paladins box is being taken off store shelves, to be either moved to direct only or discontinued entirely. I wonder if this means we will get a new Start Collecting?

I bought one of the boxes before aos2 and sacrosanct came out, then was horribly disappointed in their performance. Then starsoul maces got nerfed in the book - I took them to a game and rolled a few 1s and thought this is kinda garbage now... I have a very low opinion of the paladin models, but there's a few people in my hobby group who still think the are awesome for some reason.... on the whole however, I can't imagine anyone is buying them for anything other than aesthetics.

I need to buy at least 5 more. Possibly 10…

Surely they'll just make them direct only.

Edit: also decimators are ace against hordes, especially when there's a million of em on 25mm bases.

And I  must admit I'm enjoying poking over the top with my protectors at the moment!

Edited by AdamR

16 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I bought one of the boxes before aos2 and sacrosanct came out, then was horribly disappointed in their performance. Then starsoul maces got nerfed in the book - I took them to a game and rolled a few 1s and thought this is kinda garbage now... I have a very low opinion of the paladin models, but there's a few people in my hobby group who still think the are awesome for some reason.... on the whole however, I can't imagine anyone is buying them for anything other than aesthetics.

Its because they never "fixed" them. In points or otherwise. Retributors are just overcosted, Decimators and Protectors have too narrow an application for their cost and Evocators still outshine them in performance.

40 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Knock all the paladins down a bit and let them be battleline in different stormhosts and you got yourself a bunch of great units. Who wouldn't take Retributors as battleline under 200 points?

Considering how wacky they went with the new KO Battletome (Frigates battleline??) This is not that far-fetched of an idea.

Edited by Alladinthepaladin
Early morning brain malfunction

1 hour ago, Alladinthepaladin said:

Considering how wacky they went with the new KO Battletome (Frigates battleline??) This is not that far-fetched of an idea.

It's legitimately what I expect from all battletomes heading forwards. Imagine Desolators or Concussors as battleline :D

EDIT: Considering FEC and Ogors IMAGINE DRAKESWORN TEMPLARS AS BATTLELINE!!!!

Edited by SleeperAgent

On 1/7/2020 at 4:12 AM, PJetski said:

According to many retailers the Paladins box is being taken off store shelves, to be either moved to direct only or discontinued entirely. I wonder if this means we will get a new Start Collecting?

Aww ******. I just got one on sale. Was hoping for warscroll changes eventually. 

Hope that the start collecting box changes to something more coherent. 

Edited by Evantas

On 1/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, PJetski said:

The full sprue box, or the original Start Collecting? Seems weird to take a whole kit off, but maybe the lack of sales from them being blech are showing...

I just hope paladins and liberators get some kind of buff. Liberators some shield wall ability they should be more durable and paladins atleast a better save and some better damage output cause atm they aint doing much out of friendly games. Movement 4 nuff said

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, Juicy said:

I just hope paladins and liberators get some kind of buff. Liberators some shield wall ability they should be more durable and paladins atleast a better save and some better damage output cause atm they aint doing much out of friendly games. Movement 4 nuff said

The funny thing is their movement is 4'' because the idea is they wear so much  sigmarite armor that it weighs them down.

But apparently, we have things in the game that can be naked with a 4+ MW save with a 5+ armor save on top and spindly skeletons with a 3+ save, go figure.

At this point SCE should just be 3+ saves like 40k marines across the board, all armies have enough MW or rend to make that 4+ or 5+ in combat anyway

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jhamslam said:

The funny thing is their movement is 4'' because the idea is they wear so much  sigmarite armor that it weighs them down.

But apparently, we have things in the game that can be naked with a 4+ MW save with a 5+ armor save on top and spindly skeletons with a 3+ save, go figure.

At this point SCE should just be 3+ saves like 40k marines across the board, all armies have enough MW or rend to make that 4+ or 5+ in combat anyway

Frankly, for units like Paladins I would almost push for a terminator-like save, 2+. It wouldn’t necessarily make them top-shelf, and a Witch Elf with a 5+ rerollable 5+++ would still arguably be tougher, but would at least make them somewhat unique and give them another small advantage over Evocators. 

For all other SC, pretty much a flat +1 to armour across the board would be a good start. We don’t hit hard, but we should be able to engage a horde of skeletons with our heavier hitters and not be wiped in one turn of combat

• Like 1