AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Sniper Alley ?

More seriously, what will you do if you encounter hordes ? Just asking, I'm not good enough to give any advice.

Turn 1 & 2 get rid of Heroes and big threats. Count on birds also to slow down.

Then count on Battleshock tests without Heroes to get rid of hordes.

It is a late game army. That has his advantages, but also some invonvenients of course. And need very good placement and play to maximize shooting.

6 minutes ago, Boobashamaka said:

Turn 1 & 2 get rid of Heroes and big threats. Count on birds also to slow down. Then count on Battleshock tests without Heroes to get rid of hordes.

I see.

7 minutes ago, Boobashamaka said:

It is a late game army. That has his advantages, but also some invonvenients of course. And need very good placement and play to maximize shooting.

Aren't you afraid you might lose the game to objectives ? "And need very good placement and play to maximize shooting." Could you develop please ?

I was toying around with a Justicar Conclave with 9 Longstrikes and 2×3 Hurricanes. Funilly enough, Hurricanes and an Incantor get -2 to run and charge, can in some cases prevent a charge without sacrificing aetherwings. I think doubling down on teleport isn't a good decission, sinks too many points in a list that already lacks table presence. Also i think 2 Incantors are a musthave to shut down that 1 spell you can't allow to go off, even on a double turn. They also make a nice suicide bomb into hordes or clustered units with their flasks afterwards.

3 hours ago, Maturin said:

I see.

Aren't you afraid you might lose the game to objectives ?

Even considering the late game you need to be opportunistic and grab some in the beginning of the game as much as possible. Losing to objectives is always possible ofc.

"And need very good placement and play to maximize shooting." Could you develop please ?

You need to make sure you place your Raptors, from deployment to teleport, always the best way to shoot the right target and not be in danger. Also taking the possibility of double turns.

But placing your Raptors is not the only thing, movement of all the rest is at least as much important.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucur said:

I was toying around with a Justicar Conclave with 9 Longstrikes and 2×3 Hurricanes. Funilly enough, Hurricanes and an Incantor get -2 to run and charge, can in some cases prevent a charge without sacrificing aetherwings. I think doubling down on teleport isn't a good decission, sinks too many points in a list that already lacks table presence. Also i think 2 Incantors are a musthave to shut down that 1 spell you can't allow to go off, even on a double turn. They also make a nice suicide bomb into hordes or clustered units with their flasks afterwards.

The logic behind the Vexilor is simple: when you invest 680pts in a unit and its placement is so important, you like to have a plan B if things get ugly and you fail you 3+ teleport. But I understand this can be challenged.

2 Incantors are also a very good option I considered. I guess here it depends on your local meta.

My Incantor on disc is a good solution to glue some big packs with no rend with his 2+ save.

How did your list go? was it successful?

Thanks man. I love the Anvils and I’m determined to make a low model count mini bravery bomb with a faction for my new army, so anyone up for ripping this list to bits? Just updated it a bit. Libs to screen the 6 Raptors, Relictor to buff them with rerolling 1s or is that overkill? Cheers!!

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura  
- Artefact: Soulthief  
- Spell: Terrifying Aspect
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(220)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Knight-Azyros (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Divine Light
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

Edited by 5kaven5lave

On 8/26/2019 at 1:21 AM, Maturin said:

Thanks Roark.

So how do you play them ? Judicators holding objectives while libs participates in combat ?

The army is quite fragile (110ish wounds), so the shooting phase is critical. I usually opt to go second in order to force the enemy to spread out. I then airdrop mostly in the enemy's face and target the biggest Hero/Monster threats with the Raptors, Celestant (Sword of Judgement +3 command points) and Protectors. I'm hopefully able to use the Judicators to start working on a horde to assist the Decimators. Active objective grabbers in Turns 1 and 2 are usually just the dog, birds and birdman.

The enemy army is very often quite crippled and desynergised by end Turn 2.

The decision as to whether to deploy or airdrop the Raptors depends on the scenario and enemy army. Obviously I want to be able to use the Anvils command from Turn 1, but I don't want them to be shot up or ambushed by a lower-drop force.

23 minutes ago, Roark said:

The army is quite fragile (110ish wounds), so the shooting phase is critical. I usually opt to go second in order to force the enemy to spread out. I then airdrop mostly in the enemy's face and target the biggest Hero/Monster threats with the Raptors, Celestant (Sword of Judgement +3 command points) and Protectors. I'm hopefully able to use the Judicators to start working on a horde to assist the Decimators. Active objective grabbers in Turns 1 and 2 are usually just the dog, birds and birdman.

The enemy army is very often quite crippled and desynergised by end Turn 2.

The decision as to whether to deploy or airdrop the Raptors depends on the scenario and enemy army. Obviously I want to be able to use the Anvils command from Turn 1, but I don't want them to be shot up or ambushed by a lower-drop force.

Thanks for your reply mate!

I'll be using Slayers for the first time this afternoon against a friend playing a Vampire Lord on Dragon Zombie, 2 Morghast Archais, 2x10 Zombies and a necro, 1 5man black Knights and 1 5man Blood knights.
I'm thinking about using my libs as paired weapons one, since after all, I'll probably won't survive the first turn, at least, I should be doing maximum damage :D.

Edited by Maturin

26 minutes ago, Roark said:

What if you were to play against SCE with balistas waiting to scion drop ?

As someone new to SC are there any units in the book just straight up not worth taking?

I'm trying get the force up and going using mostly models from the "classic" SC range (So not vanguard or sacrosanct) but im aware that as far as the meta appears, such units are not as common. Atm i only have liberators, lord relictor and celestant on foot and im not sure which direction is best to go given the classic range. I'm unsure how units like concussers, judicators or prosecutors perform in casual games.

1 hour ago, Hamartia said:

As someone new to SC are there any units in the book just straight up not worth taking?

I'm trying get the force up and going using mostly models from the "classic" SC range (So not vanguard or sacrosanct) but im aware that as far as the meta appears, such units are not as common. Atm i only have liberators, lord relictor and celestant on foot and im not sure which direction is best to go given the classic range. I'm unsure how units like concussers, judicators or prosecutors perform in casual games.

Look up what Roark talked about. He uses a mix of both first generation SCE and newer ones (vanguard raptors).

3 hours ago, Hamartia said:

Knight Questor is pretty much for the RPs...

Castigators are pretty bad, and so are gryph hound units (free ones are fine).

Evening all. 

has anyone done a damage output comparison sheet for SCE shooters?  

Interested in comparing them all and also looking at points per damage caused (at a given armour save) 

Both Raptors
Judicators
Castigators
Ballistas
Prosecutors with Javs. 

Thanks in advance! 

3 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Take a phone pic :)

Photographing is forbidden at my workspace :D don't worry, i'll find ways B) it's also not like a huge revelation, those numbers have been around this thread before. It's just a major pain to find something in here with all the talk. Maybe we need something like a separate "resource" thread for SCE, where solid info won't be lost in debates and opinions?

28 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Photographing is forbidden at my workspace :D don't worry, i'll find ways B) it's also not like a huge revelation, those numbers have been around this thread before. It's just a major pain to find something in here with all the talk. Maybe we need something like a separate "resource" thread for SCE, where solid info won't be lost in debates and opinions?

Wow, that's a strick work place or I don't know one ^^.

Yeah, a separate spread sheet, but in excel, would be nice, we could easily see the stats without having to brows 250 pages of discussion!

On 8/31/2019 at 12:22 PM, Hamartia said:

IMO two main pros of old range are solid support heroes and cheapest battleline. But would still want to take at least one wizard and lord veritant over relictor for unbinds and doggo

After filling up your BL with 3 5 man units of liberators you can mix and match Dracothin Guards and Paladins to substitute for evocators creating your melee damage output, than you need to put in some shooting so 6-9 Longstrike Raptors will be a must.

Here's my account of shooting:

unit (points) - wounds caused vs 4+sv - wounds/point

Hurricane Raptors (140) - 3.75 - .0268

Ballista in 18 (110) - 2.59 - .0236

JavelinProsecutors (90) - 2.07 - .0230

Longstrikes (170) - 3.78 - .0222

Xbow Judic (160) - 4.67 - .0292

BowJudic (160) - 2.48 - .0155

Castigators  (80) - 1.20 - .0150

Ballista in 36 (110) - 1.30 - .0118

Hammer Prosecutors (90) - 1.02 - .0113

Palladors pist+jav (180) - 1.22 - .0068

Palladors jav (180) - 0.89 - .0049

4 ballista + ordinator (580) - 15.56 - .0268

3 ballista + ordinator (470) - 11.67 - .0248

Note i included unit leaders for these minsized units, some units don't scale linearly when taken in larger groups.

I also assumed Prosecutors outside 9", values are halfed when within 9" ofc.

Edited by Lucur
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1