AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

What is currently the best weapon choice for Evocators in a unit of 10, playing the AnvilStrike list?

Grandstaves are equal or better in every situation except fighting something with a save better than 3+. That assumes that every model in the unit gets to attack, which isn't often the case...

Grandstaves also have 2" reach, which ensures that all your models get to attack.

Take Grandstaves on every model and don't look back.

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Grandstaves are equal or better in every situation except fighting something with a save better than 3+. That assumes that every model in the unit gets to attack, which isn't often the case...

Grandstaves also have 2" reach, which ensures that all your models get to attack.

Take Grandstaves on every model and don't look back.

Thank you for the lightning fast answer!

I`m  building them as we speak! 😎

3 hours ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Your tournament record is very impressive. 

Do you mind if I ask the list you took, and whether or not the 2019 Handbook was used?

I personally find three ballistas underwhelming for inflicting truly devastating damage, even with support from Lord-Ordinator.

Hence the inclusion of fourth ballista in my list.

Come to think of it, if I wanted to take shooting units with reliable yet devastating damage output Anvils raptors might be a better option.

But as of now I plan to make quad-ballistas work due to lower points per wound,  i.e. better durability.

Yup it was the Midwest Meltdown a month or so back, so we used 2019.

And I used 4 in my list (And with a knight Azyros to push those averages up even higher).

My favorite thing about the Anvil Raptors is the birds, and how much they can do to delay your opponent.  The shooting is just a wonderful side effect haha.

But I like Astral Templars, and the mix of Lisas + Desolators has been a lot of fun, so thats why I've been taking it to events.

Hail, Brothers of Sigmaron ! After reading through the last pages, I see a lot of people talking about Anvilstrike. Is it a type of list ? If so, what does it contain ?

Also, I would like to know how much a list based around a LCoS and Dracothian Guard is worth (particularly the Fulminators), because I just love the miniatures and would like to get some, but don't want to buy something that will not be useful and stay on shelves taking dust.

Cheers !  C.

7 hours ago, Corcaedus said:

Hail, Brothers of Sigmaron ! After reading through the last pages, I see a lot of people talking about Anvilstrike. Is it a type of list ? If so, what does it contain ?

Also, I would like to know how much a list based around a LCoS and Dracothian Guard is worth (particularly the Fulminators), because I just love the miniatures and would like to get some, but don't want to buy something that will not be useful and stay on shelves taking dust.

Cheers !  C.

The anvils list should look something like this:

• Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost
  • 2 Incantor
  • Heraldor
  • Veritant
  • Knight Azyors
  • 3 * 5 Liberator
  • 9 Longstrikes
  • 10 Evocators
  • 2 Aetherwings
  • 1 CP / Endless Spell / 3rd aetherwing  ( I took a CP but didn't need it, so next time I will get 3rd aetherwing )

Basic idea is to use the stormhost ability and shoot with longstrikes / attack with evocators in your hero phase. Veritant for teleporting and aetherwings for charge denial / swooping around maybe grabbing an objective, Incantors for 2 auto dispells.

I recently played the anvils list, and it is awesome but  also super tough to get right but I think I will stick too it and practice for my 1st major tourney.

If you plan on winning tournaments I wouldn't bet on a stardrake, however it is just an awesome model so why not built a awesome looking fluff army and have fun too :)

Edited by schwabbele

Hey all! I am new to AoS and even newer to the SCE. As of now, I am only really playing casually with friends, and might hit up the local hobby shop every now and then, but I find that any time I end up facing Skaven or Flesh Eater Courts I get rolled over. I'll admit I didn't do a heck of a lot of research before picking up my models, and a friend and I split the Soul Wars box and I was super happy with it. I enjoy Sequitors, though I find them a little expensive, and the Evocators are down right delightful, but against those two factions (a friend plays FEC and our local shop sees a lot of Skaven and Slaanesh) they don't perform very well. Am I missing something? I've read a little about Anvil-Hammer? Is that something I should be going for instead? I really do like the Sacrosanct models, but if they aren't worth it I don't believe I have gone too far down that path to switch things up.

Edited by animusCompassionist
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, schwabbele said:

• 2 Incantor
  • Heraldor
  • Veritant
  • Knight Azyors
  • 3 * 5 Liberator
  • 9 Longstrikes
  • 10 Evocators
  • 2 Aetherwings
  • 1 CP / Endless Spell / 3rd aetherwing  ( I took a CP but didn't need it, so next time I will get 3rd aetherwing )

Basic idea is to use the stormhost ability and shoot with longstrikes / attack with evocators in your hero phase. Veritant for teleporting and aetherwings for charge denial / swooping around maybe grabbing an objective, Incantors for 2 auto dispells.

I recently played the anvils list, and it is awesome but  also super tough to get right but I think I will stick too it and practice for my 1st major tourney.

If you plan on winning tournaments I wouldn't bet on a stardrake, however it is just an awesome model so why not built a awesome looking fluff army and have fun too :)

Forget what I said - my post can be deleted :D

Edited by Naem

28 minutes ago, Turragor said:

How do you mean? Don't these fall under "or have a later publication date"?

The thing is the rule for later publications only say "units", it doesn't mention "warscroll battalions". It's probably intended that the battalions are supposed to be legal but due to a rules technicality they aren't.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, schwabbele said:

• 2 Incantor
  • Heraldor
  • Veritant
  • Knight Azyors
  • 3 * 5 Liberator
  • 9 Longstrikes
  • 10 Evocators
  • 2 Aetherwings

Okay, so it looks like this ! I see the usefulness of everything here, except the Heraldor. I only saw use of him in cavalry lists, so what would be his purpose here ? 

If the Battalions are not available, it really is too bad. The cleansing phalanx seemed like a fun alternative to the classic one. On the other hand i feel like Lynus is incredible for his points. 

8 hours ago, animusCompassionist said:

Hey all! I am new to AoS and even newer to the SCE. As of now, I am only really playing casually with friends, and might hit up the local hobby shop every now and then, but I find that any time I end up facing Skaven or Flesh Eater Courts I get rolled over. I'll admit I didn't do a heck of a lot of research before picking up my models, and a friend and I split the Soul Wars box and I was super happy with it. I enjoy Sequitors, though I find them a little expensive, and the Evocators are down right delightful, but against those two factions (a friend plays FEC and our local shop sees a lot of Skaven and Slaanesh) they don't perform very well. Am I missing something? I've read a little about Anvil-Hammer? Is that something I should be going for instead? I really do like the Sacrosanct models, but if they aren't worth it I don't believe I have gone too far down that path to switch things up.

In my humble opinion, i would buy the battletome to know a little bit more about the rules : Sacrosanct models are very good right now, both Sequitors and Evocators. 

I haven't played against Skaven or FeC much, but Slaanesh on the other hand ... I feel like it's a hard match. If possible, prevent the KoS from touching anything important/block it, kill it, then snipe as much heroes as fast as you can. Without them the army loses a lot of its potential. The hardest part being to kill them all before they start respawning left and right...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corcaedus said:

In my humble opinion, i would buy the battletome to know a little bit more about the rules : Sacrosanct models are very good right now, both Sequitors and Evocators. 

I haven't played against Skaven or FeC much, but Slaanesh on the other hand ... I feel like it's a hard match. If possible, prevent the KoS from touching anything important/block it, kill it, then snipe as much heroes as fast as you can. Without them the army loses a lot of its potential. The hardest part being to kill them all before they start respawning left and right...

Thank you, I will do just that

Currently working towards this for my Sacrosanct list. I feel like it has potential, and the Hero I was told to pick up while at my local shop seems great.

Realm: Hysh
Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Leaders:
Lord Arcanum (on foot): General, Patricians Helm, Azyrite Halo
Lord Relictor: Aetherquartz Brooch, Translocation
Gavriel Sureheart

Battleline: 2x Sequitors x10
Other: 2x Evocators x5 (not sure what weapon. Attacking in two ranks is great but theres only 5 models in the unit)

Warscroll Battalion: Cleansing Phalanx
Endless Spell: Celestian Vortex (just to fill out my last 40pts really)
Total pts:1500

It seems alright, but I haven't actually played it yet. I love the idea of potentially regenerating CP whenever you spend it, but I don't see many people running Tempest Lords. Does it just amount to a cute trick and nothing else?

When playing AnvilStrike with 2 Incantors, what spells are considered best? I played a game yesterday using Lightning Blast and Stormcaller, they seemed OK.

I let 1 Incantor stay in close proximity of the Evocators in case I needed Mystic Shield and the other near the Raptors for the command ability and trying to get of Stormcaller. Is that how most people approach the use of Incantors? If not, please enlighten me! I'm trying to approve my game with this list as I plan on playing it for a while.

For the Evocators: is Speed of Lightning the default pick from the spell lore? 

12 hours ago, animusCompassionist said:

I am in the same boat (started with Soul Wars), and after filling out the weird unit sizes for that box I feel lost as to where to go now. I got 3 longstrikes, 3 palladors, a castellant, the Getting Started incantor (8 usd), and a relictor on top of those.

The good thing is that Stormcast can swap stuff in/out easily, but this makes it quite hard to decide on what to buy. I'd say start with more heroes, maybe some cavalry or elites, and then more battleline.

Skaven and FEC are in a good position, Stormcast are not with no invuln saves or fight first models. So it is partially because of overpowered faction abilities, and Sequitors going up 10 points this year (120 -> 130)

edit: I should probably get some Liberators ASAP but I still need to paint everything...

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, animusCompassionist said:

Currently working towards this for my Sacrosanct list. I feel like it has potential, and the Hero I was told to pick up while at my local shop seems great.

Realm: Hysh
Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Leaders:
Lord Arcanum (on foot): General, Patricians Helm, Azyrite Halo
Lord Relictor: Aetherquartz Brooch, Translocation
Gavriel Sureheart

Battleline: 2x Sequitors x10
Other: 2x Evocators x5 (not sure what weapon. Attacking in two ranks is great but theres only 5 models in the unit)

Warscroll Battalion: Cleansing Phalanx
Endless Spell: Celestian Vortex (just to fill out my last 40pts really)
Total pts:1500

It seems alright, but I haven't actually played it yet. I love the idea of potentially regenerating CP whenever you spend it, but I don't see many people running Tempest Lords. Does it just amount to a cute trick and nothing else?

Gavriel's command ability only effects Hammers of Sigmar units, so in this army it will only affect himself (because everyone else is a Tempest Lord), which is why you don't tend to see people using Tempest Lords. We've only really got 2 "spammable" command abilities and they are tied to stormhosts (Hammers and Anvils).

That said, I have run them a couple of times, using all the extra command points with a Lord Arcanum on Gryphcharger to buff sequitors and evocators

Hi there!

plan to use this list at our local  tournament, what do you think?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Lord-Aquilor
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura 
- Artefact : Soulthief
- Mount Trait : Wind Runner
Lord-Ordinator 
Lord-Veritant
- Prayer : Translocation

3x5 Liberators
- Warhammer & Shield - 1 x Grandhammers

4x3 Aetherwings
12 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows
 4xCelestar Ballista

TOTAL: 1990/2000 
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 
WOUNDS: 124

Thank in advance for any suggestion. 

• Like 2

The Idea of the list - control and shoot

Ballistas deal with heroes and heavy armoured guys, while Raptors shoot at low armoured or etherial guys.

Aquilor - from my point of view better than one use banner guy because he can transport unit several times and much faster by his own.

Birds and Haund control opponets movements 

Libs just to fill Battleline and control table as well from dipstriking enemy

P.S. Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker...

I like the approach with Hurricane Raptors, but i think a unit of twelve is very clunky to handle with the Aquillor's teleport CA (which also costs a CP you'd rather shoot with). You also don't have any stopping power on the board (where most Anvilstrike lists would fit 10 Evocators). I'd also miss an Incantor or two for unbinds. So i guess i advocate against the ballista bomb? ^^

3 minutes ago, Lucur said:

I like the approach with Hurricane Raptors, but i think a unit of twelve is very clunky to handle with the Aquillor's teleport CA (which also costs a CP you'd rather shoot with). You also don't have any stopping power on the board (where most Anvilstrike lists would fit 10 Evocators). I'd also miss an Incantor or two for unbinds. So i guess i advocate against the ballista bomb? ^^

Thank you for you point - I get it :)

about CP, I will have 2 at the first turn, and in case that I'm not at the table I no need to use them, If I start with raptors on the table, and Translocation not work well, I still need to spent only one, so I think that CP will be enough for this list, cause I have only one unit to spent it.

My idea were a liittle bit different, very big amount of damage from a far durng alfastrike and after that, feed opponets with small units and try to avoid HtH at all. 

Ballistas can deal with opponents heroes and key units while evocators will be just a unit that opponent will avoid, so they will just big block of guys who wants to fight, but cannot do that :) they need Gavriel and this is completelly different list.

26 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Tbh - I think this list could work out, I am not sure many players would know how to deal with the hurricanes and ballistas on the board. Napkin math says you should do 27 wounds with them

Yes, this is also a point, current meta consist mostly of Big monsters and hordes, so need to have oportunity to deal with them.  Especially with Slaanesh and Fleash Eaters monsters that can damage you before you will have any chance to answer. So I want to not be better at HtH, but do it different way. The same for hordes, they strong only in numbers and often has low armour, so raptors should deal with them. And of course new playstyle should surprise a lot of opponents