AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

So 6 Desolators vs 6 Dracoline Evocators. Which is best now?

Whichever ones youve got painted 😁

Got to finish my Dracoline Pride* for tournaments these next 2 weekends, looking forward to seeing what they can do. I dont have any shooting support in my current list so not sure ill be able to get the most out of the list.

*6 Dracoline Evocators and a Lord Arcanum on Dracoline

12 minutes ago, stato said:

Whichever ones youve got painted 😁

Got to finish my Dracoline Pride* for tournaments these next 2 weekends, looking forward to seeing what they can do. I dont have any shooting support in my current list so not sure ill be able to get the most out of the list.

*6 Dracoline Evocators and a Lord Arcanum on Dracoline

I have neither.

I do have 4 Ballista and enough Sequitors and liberators to fill out battleline. I also have 10 Evocators on foot and a Heraldor who I’m weighing up replacing.

Alrighty!  So got two games in tonight with 2 very different lists. Here we go!

Thundercats Ho!

LAoD

Ordinator

Incantor

3x5 Sequitors

6x Evocators on Dracolines

3x Ballistas

Geminds 

Everblaze

Staunch Goat

LAoT

Incantor

Ordinator

Lord-castellent

20x Sqeuitors

2x5 Sequitors

3x Ballistas

Comet

Geminids

Cogs (No idea why I chose this nothing ever charged it needed the spell).

My opponent played the same list twice. We first played relocation orb in Aqushy and then we played Knife in the Dark in chamon.

I wanted to try two vastly different lists and boy we're they the polar opposite of each other. Another note is that Ive seen people playing the Stardrake a lot in the Staunch Defender lists but I don't own it plus it was an excuse to run a cool model that had a built in save vs mortal wounds (I know I know the scales are better but I wanted gryph feather as well because I'm greedy and want all the defensive tech).   

I'm going to summarize quickly here. My opponent was playing Gutbusters and while learning the game he beat me up pretty bad. But these two games tonight we're insane for me. Both lists dropped bows on him in different ways and it was a fight. But I really want to just talk about some things I've learned.

- In a world of light mortal wounds Staunch Defender and the Castellent ask an insanely hard question of your opponent. 

- the Dracolines are a ton of fun and can just crush things. 

- Celestial Vindicators seemed like the Dracoline stormhost but I think I would want to investigate some other ones or go neutral. 

- Everblaze comet is insanely strong and does so much for 100pts. If you go second and drop it then it feels like a mini Kroaknado since you get to trigger it again the next battle round. 

-On that note, the Geminids may still be too cheap. They have such utility and in an army like Staunch Defender SCE it really gets oppressive. 

- Dracolines having the wizard tag provides so many good little sysnergies with the game itself. 

Over all was very pleased and can't wait to field them again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey guys, is the Hailstorm Battery worth the tax in points and Castigors to take do we think? Or would a second Baillista/something else be more worth it in your opinion. I am not sure whether the reduction in 2 drops is worth it either?

13 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Hey guys, is the Hailstorm Battery worth the tax in points and Castigors to take do we think? Or would a second Baillista/something else be more worth it in your opinion. I am not sure whether the reduction in 2 drops is worth it either?

My limited SCE experience says no as I think if your at the Ordinator stage you should just get at least 3 ballistas. Someone has the math here in these 240 pages that says "No Ordinator until the 3rd Ballista". Then you have a 200pt tax just for the hope of an additional +1 for one Ballista. 

If you care about math then no. If you love your castigators and want to make a single Ballista feel special then yes. 

Edited by luthhero

5 hours ago, Coolwood said:

And obviously..... Badass.

How badass is it if you have a unit of immortal soldiers wiped out to MW through fight first 🤣

I guess my issue with being a new player is...price tag that comes with a wide unit range. Yes SCE are versatile, but I just heard that GW prices are going up again. I don't have the money to buy enough units to mix and match, especially when it feels like we need basically ALL of the Stormcast heroes. Maybe that means I should be playing casually anyway! Doesn't feel too great though. This is why I like the Meeting Engagements; 1k lists, easy to swap around, seems like they will be more tactical than relying on certain 'gimmicks' armies need 2000 points for.

2 hours ago, stato said:

Im loving building, painting and playing  my stormcast.

I'll keep this in mind, sometimes it can be easy to forget forums skew competitive. It's definitely nice to get advice on which units to look at/purchase first, though the hobby part is what I enjoy most (even when the dang stormcast torsos slip around!)

Edited by CommissarRotke
words

17 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

How badass is it if you have a unit of immortal soldiers wiped out to MW through fight first 🤣

I guess my issue with being a new player is...price tag that comes with a wide unit range. Yes SCE are versatile, but I just heard that GW prices are going up again. I don't have the money to buy enough units to mix and match, especially when it feels like we need basically ALL of the Stormcast heroes. Maybe that means I should be playing casually anyway! Doesn't feel too great though. This is why I like the Meeting Engagements; 1k lists, easy to swap around, seems like they will be more tactical than relying on certain 'gimmicks' armies need 2000 points for.

I'll keep this in mind, sometimes it can be easy to forget forums skew competitive. It's definitely nice to get advice on which units to look at/purchase first, though the hobby part is what I enjoy most (even when the dang stormcast torsos slip around!)

From that leaked list, I don't see any SCE stuff.

• LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I can understand that to some degree, have been starting SCE back in December 2016, everything seemed overwhelming, but right now it feels great sitting with over 12 000 points of SCE having every unit in the range, most being at 3 times min size at least, lacking just a few sculpts. Most of it was collected via huge boxes offering better deal that are mostly unavailable now.

Good luck collecting your army, some day you may become one of players who just pulls unit of the shelf when meta changes, rather than buing something.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Its certainly tough to collect a 2000 point list, for any army, and SC with all their options can feel daunting.  But remember some armies dont have options at all so having a single SC list isnt a problem if thats all you can afford or want to invest.  Dont feel pressured by the options available, just think of them as a different army, still lots of flex in the Stormhosts or command abilities.

• Like 1

The next list I want to test:

100 Azyros, Soulthief
140 Incantor, General
140 Incantor
140 Ordinator
100 Relictor

440 Ballista x3
300 Liberators, min, x3

150 Aetherwings, x3
510 Longstrikes x9

60 Geminids
1970 points

Should be enough control to sufficiently slowdown melee based armies with birds, Geminids, and Liberators.  And enough ranged output to really take huge chunks out of the enemy army.

This is basically PJetski's list with Evocators swapped out for Ballistas.  Evocators are disgusting of course.  But the Ballistas are technically easier to get to your desired target.

What do you think?

15 hours ago, Dayman85 said:

I don't think there's much that GW could do to make us even stronger  than we already are; the variety we have already is pretty crazy.... Look at lord relictor, he's 100 points, he can heal d3, or he can deal d3 and -1 to hit. You can have him bless weapons to give 2 hits on 6s or translocate to teleport somebody 24"; he costs 100 pts and can legit do soo much for his price tag.

They could rework our battalions to be actually worth taking. And stop raising the points for gods sake! SCE is already a low body count faction that has trouble on objectives why tf do they keep upping the points in this mortal wound meta

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

What do you think?

Ballistas are to random. Yes, they are easier to manage. Evos have more options like cast/dispell and damdge output. Plus, intead of ballists u can take 2nd pack of birds. They are MWP in nowdays meta.

Edited by Bishop1893

On 6/25/2019 at 12:42 AM, frostfire said:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

I've seen the other guy played this list last week. He replaced the pendulum and palisade with the spell portal.

Damage output was decent as expected.  Incantor with the portal and staff of focus activated was a nuclear bomb, who did 2 mws to each enemy units. With the portal the spell almost covered every enemy units. He did about 14 mortal wounds with this spell alone in a turn, which is super scary.

Purple sun is good at 50. But it is kind of dangerous to friendly units because the range is rather short.

The player that I watched used Celestant-Prime as a hero killer but I prefer to use him as a long range canon. He put him in the sky for two battle rounds.  Prime came down with 7 attacks, did some mortal wounds and charged and killed a Prince Vhordrai and then got eliminated by a spell, which was a fair trade.

The main issue with this list is the low model counts imo. 

• Like 2

Considering the price hike, i've just been to a local store and seen the email. It'll come on monday and for SCE only Evocators (40 - 45€) and Neave/ Zephyros goey up a small margin. Some terrain stuff, too, but i dont remember details there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2019 at 4:35 PM, PJetski said:

Hasn't been my experience. Sylvaneth are a melee army, and like all other melee armies they just get tied down by Aetherwings and shot/blasted down by the Longstrikes and Evocators.

They have the woods to block sight but the mortal wound output between evocators, geminids, heraldor, and even Stormcaller they can't camp in the woods forever. The Aetherwings and Incantors stop them from being effective in the woods so they have to eventually leave to accomplish anything, and if they leave the woods then they get shot off the table. Any list with Alarielle loses almost automatically because she can't use the woods to block sight.

How do you perform against Nurgle? Do you go for the 2 block of 30 Plaguebearers at all or do you shoot down the 3 great unclean ones first? After all they give -2 to hit against shooting.

Edited by JaffaBones

Played in a 3 round event last weekend, rocking 6 Desolators and I'm in love.  

Astral templar style, with ballistas, they were doing awesome work for me, expecially when I got the lantern +1 save buff on them.  The shooting is solid, and the new command abilities were exactly what I needed, getting them rerolls whenever I needed it.

They are on the paint table, and I'm super excited to take them to the Midwest Meltdown end of the month.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

How do you perform against Nurgle? Do you go for the 2 block of 30 Plaguebearers at all or do you shoot down the 3 great unclean ones first? After all they give -2 to hit against shooting.

I have a buddy who plays nurgle frequently, ignore the plague bearers completely; they are there to soak wounds. Sequitors are you best friend against that army from the demon d3 hits. Shoot the units that buff his other units, like if there's a guy giving 5+ feel no pains to the whole army he's your first priority. Let them move across the map toward you and try to use your mobile units/ teleports to try and snag late objectives. If you have a relictor and they're rocking blight kings make sure you blast them for -1 to hit so they don't get their on 6s d6 hits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plaguebearers should be ignored, they don't do anything but take up space. Also worth noting that Plaguebearers -Hit ability only works in the shooting phase (and combat phase) so it will have no effect on your hero phase actions.

Always kill the GUOs first - a 3d3 plaguewind is the only threat in the Nurgle army. You should be able to deny the first 2 casts if you have 2 Incantors, but they need to be dead before they try to cast a third.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dayman85 said:

I have a buddy who plays nurgle frequently, ignore the plague bearers completely; they are there to soak wounds. Sequitors are you best friend against that army from the demon d3 hits. Shoot the units that buff his other units, like if there's a guy giving 5+ feel no pains to the whole army he's your first priority. Let them move across the map toward you and try to use your mobile units/ teleports to try and snag late objectives. If you have a relictor and they're rocking blight kings make sure you blast them for -1 to hit so they don't get their on 6s d6 hits.

54 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Plaguebearers should be ignored, they don't do anything but take up space. Also worth noting that Plaguebearers -Hit ability only works in the shooting phase (and combat phase) so it will have no effect on your hero phase actions.

Always kill the GUOs first - a 3d3 plaguewind is the only threat in the Nurgle army. You should be able to deny the first 2 casts if you have 2 Incantors, but they need to be dead before they try to cast a third.

Thanks, I kinda thought like that two. I just received my list pack for the upcoming tournament. There are two almost identical Nurgle list in it with 3 GUO and 2x30 PB an a spell portal. I don't have two inventors, but I have two auto-dispell in my list, I struggle with opponents who understand unbind ranges or even work with a spell portal. And you are totally right about the -2 not working in the hero phase. Good to know.

Btw, the event pack with all the lists is online. If someone wants to take a look. It's the most competitive tournament series there is in Germany I've been told. FEC and Stormcast are the most played armies with 5.

There is even an Anvilstrike variation with 12 Raptors participating.

https://wuerfelgoetter.de/10-aos-turnier-der-wuerfelgoetter-armeelisten/

Edited by JaffaBones
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that the Meta is pretty different in Germany anyways (then in the US at least). Here SCE are considered pretty strong from what I hear in my local GW and I also have a pretty good run playing the Sequitors/Evocators combo with Cleansing Phalanx. A block of 20 fully buffed Sequitors who re-roll all to hit, to wound and saves and get +1 save by the Castellant is a pretty tough rock to bite on. 

At least they stop almost everything and when the 2x5 Evocators hit, they blow everything up. Ballistas with Ordinator firing from the back and this is how the cookie crumbles most of the time :D 

Edited by Naem

20 minutes ago, Bishop1893 said:

It works until 1st gristlegore TG bites this 😢

Hit it with some -1 to hit or -1 attacks, geminids helps with this.  Plus, your never going to face just FeC, impossible to optimise for everything.

• Like 1