AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

The Incantor shall cast the spell on itself ? 

Well, you see facing an Alpha strike list is dangerous for an anvilstrike list. By having the incantor on the field you can threat with the automatic unbind, to stop Chronomantic Cogs for example. Also screening/bubblewrapping your raptors is smart in this case. Basically shielding your raptors with your battleline. If you think you can block them with 1 battleline cast the halo on them. But in extreme cases, say you think they’ll get to your raptors in the worst case scenario. You can than Cast halo on the raptors threatening with mortal wounds on unmodified 6’s. The knight-incantor can once per game drop 1,2,3 spirit flasks, dealing 1 mortal wound for units below 10 models 3” around her per flask. Or d3 mortals per flask for units with 10 or more miniatures. I’m not saying it will save your game, but in extreme cases you can resort to these desperate tactics in which you take an eye for an eye. In such cases once it’s your turn, you want to swoop in with your Lord-Aquilor afterwards and teleport away with the Raptors and relocate them. Now your enemy either destroyed your battleline and incantor or is stuck in combat with them and the incantor. You can use this to shoot at them from afar with your repositioned raptors.

Edited by That Guy
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Hello,

Do you want any opinion regarding this list for a future tournament ? Thank you

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Keen-clawed

Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (360)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo

Lord-Castellant (100)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows

2 x Fulminators (240)

2 x Fulminators (240)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Everblaze Comet (100)

Uhm... I do not play stormcast...Anyway I think that your list seems quite umbalanced. Maybe you should drop Aventis and take the Incantor plus another mage if u want use the comet( cast and then dispell the next turn and etcetc ) , as I think than you will have problems to contest the objectives or have enough raw damage out put to clear a blob of chaff.

I think than stormacast works better with more "small heores" than with just a couple of strong one 😃 for example for the same cost of the big guy on dragon you can have Castellant + Celestant + 15 Sequitors (30 W at 2 + AS rerollable with Staunch Defender and lantern) and this is just an example 😃

54 minutes ago, Zaffersimo said:

Anyway I think that your list seems quite umbalanced. 

Nawwww man, this man has a plan. He came with a mission.  Those battleline are gonna be his objective drops. He plans to strike where it hurts with his entire list all around his dragon. This army will have 2+ Re-roll 1’s saves on his fulminators and stardrake with the stardrake bouncing of a mortal on a succesful re-roll. Aventis can also tag in on this 2+ save train. With his castellant he’s probably looking to lantern the drake making it a 1+ save re-roll 1’s which makes it easier to re-roll into succesful saves and casting azyrite halo on it will bounce even more mortals back, all the while, he heals wounds back on 5+ vs no rend, 6+ vs -1 rend. He can also use the castellant on fulminators making them have a 1+ re-roll 1 save and 0+ re-roll 1 save against shooting. He can even cast the halo on aventis and the lantern, making him heal on top of his self heal, bouncing off mortals from the halo AND righteous retribution. But this man is NOT done with just that. He is looking to bring the absolute mortal wound rampage towards you, his drake boosting casting +1, -1 for the enemy around him. Making aventis drop that comet in the enemies midst while he eagerly waits to activate his dragons CA and enable those fulimators for an explosive charge with all that defensiveness. Oh and he’ll also blast them with the dragon breaths and stardrake mortals and aventis his laser beam.

This man came to tell, you don’t mess with stormcast eternals, let me show you. He came to be Rambo and I love him for it.

@Saul GoodmanI do assume, you know, you don’t get to use Aventis his CA, but I feel you are one cheeky fellow, using the dragons CA the whole time anyways.

But yes, against magic heavy lists this list will probably crumble after a while. But he’s looking to shut that down with aventis his 2 unbinds and a -1 cast debuff from the dragon. I just feel a legions of nagash list will absolutely tear this list apart, hand of dust the dragon to oblivion and aventis, next turn. Against most lists he’ll be fine I feel. He will need the charge though.

EDIT: OOOOOH!!! snap! With the everblaze comet he’s even looking to debuff -1 cast again! He’s going for -2 cast with 2 unbinds. 

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Nawwww man, this man has a plan. He came with a mission.  Those battleline are gonna be his objective drops. He plans to strike where it hurts with his entire list all around his dragon. This army will have 2+ Re-roll 1’s saves on his fulminators and stardrake with the stardrake bouncing of a mortal on a succesful re-roll. Aventis can also tag in on this 2+ save train. With his castellant he’s probably looking to lantern the drake making it a 1+ save re-roll 1’s which makes it easier to re-roll into succesful saves and casting azyrite halo on it will bounce even more mortals back, all the while, he heals wounds back on 5+ vs no rend, 6+ vs -1 rend. He can also use the castellant on fulminators making them have a 1+ re-roll 1 save and 0+ re-roll 1 save against shooting. He can even cast the halo on aventis and the lantern, making him heal on top of his self heal, bouncing off mortals from the halo AND righteous retribution. But this man is NOT done with just that. He is looking to bring the absolute mortal wound rampage towards you, his drake boosting casting +1, -1 for the enemy around him. Making aventis drop that comet in the enemies midst while he eagerly waits to activate his dragons CA and enable those fulimators for an explosive charge with all that defensiveness. Oh and he’ll also blast them with the dragon breaths and stardrake mortals and aventis his laser beam.

This man came to tell, you don’t mess with stormcast eternals, let me show you. He came to be Rambo and I love him for it.

@Saul GoodmanI do assume, you know, you don’t get to use Aventis his CA, but I feel you are one cheeky fellow, using the dragons CA the whole time anyways.

But yes, against magic heavy lists this list will probably crumble after a while. But he’s looking to shut that down with aventis his 2 unbinds and a -1 cast debuff from the dragon. I just feel a legions of nagash list will absolutely tear this list apart, hand of dust the dragon to oblivion and aventis, next turn. Against most lists he’ll be fine I feel. He will need the charge though.

EDIT: OOOOOH!!! snap! With the everblaze comet he’s even looking to debuff -1 cast again! He’s going for -2 cast with 2 unbinds. 

Hello That Guy,

Ahah, you made me laugh (sorry for my English I'm French)

Indeed, you totally understood the principle of my list. Abuse deadly wounds and target priority enemy characters. With the Comet og Aventis at Stardrake Butterflies of Light (1d6 unit 4+ D3 Mortal), the shooting of the Judicators ans potentials of the Fulimnators.

By posting my liste i intentionally did not specify that it would be a team tournament of 4 respecting each allegiance by players (Death / Nagash, Destrusction Godrakk and One Mawcrusha, Me one SCE with my list Aventis and Chaos Nurgle GUO ROT GLOT) and therefore i would have great chance of not falling on Nagash. I wanted to have a clear opinion for a tournament singles.

Obviously I do not intend to use the CA of Aventis which I find useless in this list and anyway unusable :)

Let's say that in this list, I will une Aventis as a solitary missile to slay isolated units ans heroes. But i will try to do mu necessary according to the opponent to leave Aventis close to the drake for the Stauch Defender.

I think that if I want to throw and Dispel the Everblaze Comet during the same turn Aventis is a good compromise in my list ans i can not do it all has a lot of good luck auto.

After it should not be denied, it's al list that goes or it breaks. Especially with regard to the goal to as many figurines.

I would fulfill my mission and swear it.

In Brightest Dayn In Blackest Night, No evil Shall Escape my Sight... Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power... Sigmar Lantern's Light.

Yeah it’s like a hammer of sigmar coming down. Also I forgot to mention. Within the staunch defender aura, if you would be putting the lantern on the fulminators, which i doubt you will do, but, if you would. Like i said they become 1+ save re-roll 1’s and 0+ saves re-roll 1’s vs shooting. This also means that any save roll of 4+ vs shooting will heal your fulminators and 5+ vs melee. If it’s rendless. Absolutely disgusting to fight against. 😆

Yeah it’s like a hammer of sigmar coming down. Also I forgot to mention. Within the staunch defender aura, if you would be putting the lantern on the fulminators, which i doubt you will do, but, if you would. Like i said they become 1+ save re-roll 1’s and 0+ saves re-roll 1’s vs shooting. This also means that any save roll of 4+ vs shooting will heal your fulminators and 5+ vs melee. If it’s rendless. Absolutely disgusting to fight against. 😆

Can’t have Staunch unless he’s not taking Hammers, in which case Aventis seems a waste

1 hour ago, Nos said:

Can’t have Staunch unless he’s not taking Hammers, in which case Aventis seems a waste

He already stated he doesn't take aventis for the CA. He'll be using the CA of the Stardrake. He wants to use the unique spell of Aventis to blow up a flank, while the rest of his cavalry holds the line. No other Stormcast eternal has access to that spell. Aventis is just 20P more expensive than a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon and adds:

• 1 Extra Attack on the Tauralon;
  • Righteous Indignation(roll a dice when a wound is allocated by a melee weapon on a 5+ that unit suffers a mortal wound)
  • Thunderhead Crown( Heal 1 wound a turn) 
  • His unique spell that lets him shoot a laser beam over 9" range, everything under it suffers D3 mortals.

Now what does the normal Lord offer?
CA: Add 2" to the run move of sacrosanct chambers wholly within 18", which in this list, will only be him. 
His Unique spell: Lightning Orb: Pick a point within 12" of the caster, roll a dice for each unit within 3" of that point and do D3 mortal wounds against that unit if you roll a 4+ for it. 

In my opinion Aventis wins it over the normal lord arcanum on tauralon, if you don't play him as general and not in a overly sacrosanct army. Aventis straight up deals those mortals, no dice rolls needed. And he's punishing in melee too. He has the option to go for other lord arcanums, but dropping down from a tauralon, means dropping down 1 cast and 1 unbind as well. He could take 2 lord arcanums on foot for the price of Aventis and have the same amount of wounds, casts and unbinds, but lose the mobility and combat power that the tauralon grants him. The unique spell of a lord arcanum will give him a good debuff spell, but it's not what he's looking for. 2 arcanums can grant him 2 different lore spells though. There's also the option for incantor with arcanum, or multiple incantors. That might be a way. But once again mobility would drop. He does have a few points to play with, So a lord arcanum on gryph charger, with a knight-incantor might be a solid option here, having the extra healing power and combat power from the gryph charger with lord arcanum and the extra automatic unbind from the incantor. Again, not as explosive as a Tauralon arcanum and Aventis, but more defensive.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, That Guy said:

He already stated he doesn't take aventis for the CA. He'll be using the CA of the Stardrake. He wants to use the unique spell of Aventis to blow up a flank, while the rest of his cavalry holds the line. No other Stormcast eternal has access to that spell. Aventis is just 20P more expensive than a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon and adds:

• 1 Extra Attack on the Tauralon;
  • Righteous Indignation(roll a dice when a wound is allocated by a melee weapon on a 5+ that unit suffers a mortal wound)
  • Thunderhead Crown( Heal 1 wound a turn) 
  • His unique spell that lets him shoot a laser beam over 9" range, everything under it suffers D3 mortals.

Now what does the normal Lord offer?
CA: Add 2" to the run move of sacrosanct chambers wholly within 18", which in this list, will only be him. 
His Unique spell: Lightning Orb: Pick a point within 12" of the caster, roll a dice for each unit within 3" of that point and do D3 mortal wounds against that unit if you roll a 4+ for it. 

In my opinion Aventis wins it over the normal lord arcanum on tauralon, if you don't play him as general and not in a overly sacrosanct army. 

Blow up a flank seems ambitious.

9” within the caster your opponent would really have be squeezing them in to get more than 2 units, and it’s max D3 per unit . You don’t need to spend 300 points to do 3 wounds to 2 units which is pretty much best case scenario and it’s a weird situation where that few wounds would even begin to blow up a flank.

Discounting that his CA for Hammers is amazing. If you took him and Vandus and planned it properly you would have Fulminators and Dracoths with 4 attacks each wounding on 2’s.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Nos said:

Discounting that his CA for Hammers is amazing. If you took him and Vandus and planned it properly you would have Fulminators and Dracoths with 4 attacks each wounding on 2’s.

Yeah, I do agree that for the overall the Vandus/ Aventis Combo can be devastating, but that would be going for the offensive approach. He's going for a hard engage and than stay there like a solid rock, healing while getting damage. He'll not have the points for Vandus though, which means he would have to drop his Stardrake. Don't think he want to do that. Also the stardrake makes him re-roll wound rolls on a 3+, which is arguably better than a 2+ to wound. Sure vandus gives them +1 attack, and battleshock immunity in a hammers list, but to get that done, you are spending 2CP a turn. Need to reserve extra points or insert a battalion for that. I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying you change the entire list and playstyle if you make the changes you suggested. You did make me interested in exploring Aventis/Stardrake with Vandus combo's now though. Thanks for that(collecting and painting Hammers of Sigmar myself).

Edited by That Guy

Little experimental list, let me know what you think.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Man of Mystery
Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-Forged Blade
Aventis Firestrike (360)
- Mount Trait: Steel Pinions
- Lore of the Storm: Azyrite Halo

Vandus Hammerhand (280)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
4 x Fulminators (480)

Endless Spells:
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra CP: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

Before I start the explanation... I'm not sure if named characters are allowed Mount Traits, so far i've not seen anything against it. I do know that named characters are not allowed to have Command Traits and Artefacts. Mount Traits are neither.

Explanation:
Steel Pinion on Aventis to Negate wounds on a 6+. His Righteous Indignation works on wounds allocated, not suffered, so even if you would negate damage, you will still bounce of a mortal wound. Trait and Artefact on the castellant since he's the only one that can have them. But it's not that bad either. The occasional 3 damage hit out of your castellant can be surprising, especially after being attack boosted by Vandus. The We Cannot Fail Trait shall help as well, since the castellant is looking to drop in near where the Fulminators, Evocators, Vandus and Aventis look to charge. Fielding Vandus, Aventis, 2 Units of liberators. Having Fulminators, Evocators, Castellant and 1 unit of Liberators in the air. Vandus can give battleshock immunity to your 2 liberator units if you don't get first turn and Aventis is able to unbind 2 casts. Afterwards you can drop in your Eternals, perhaps cast shackles  for some movement control, or swap them out for Quicksilver swords for some added damage. Next turn you can speed of lightning evocators to create a re-roll charge funnel and charge your Fulminators, Evocators, Aventis, Vandus. You can Azyrite halo either the Evocators or Fulminators, based on who made combat. Your Aventis CA is probably best used on the Fulminators. Than Vandus enables your whole force. The Lord-Castellant can make the Fulminators a 2+ re-roll 1 or 1+ re-roll 1 vs ranged or make 3+ saves Evocators. Let me know what you think. Also let me know what you think of dropping the castellant and Shackles and go for a Vexillor with pennant and take chronomantic cogs, or do we need a Gavriel in here as well? 

Edited by That Guy

Yeah, I do agree that for the overall the Vandus/ Aventis Combo can be devastating, but that would be going for the offensive approach. He's going for a hard engage and than stay there like a solid rock, healing while getting damage. He'll not have the points for Vandus though, which means he would have to drop his Stardrake. Don't think he want to do that. Also the stardrake makes him re-roll wound rolls on a 3+, which is arguably better than a 2+ to wound. Sure vandus gives them +1 attack, and battleshock immunity in a hammers list, but to get that done, you are spending 2CP a turn. Need to reserve extra points or insert a battalion for that. I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying you change the entire list and playstyle if you make the changes you suggested. You did make me interested in exploring Aventis/Stardrake with Vandus combo's now though. Thanks for that(collecting and painting Hammers of Sigmar myself).

Vandus Battleshock Immunity is free, it’s just a passive. He’s pretty good in a fight too, I think probably the best “fighty” SC Hero there is. Up to 7 Damage 3 attacks on his own if you use his CA. If you get lucky with Intolerable damage he can wipe big monsters or small elite units like Kurnoths. 

• Like 1

There's gonna be a 'Stormfort'.

It's mentioned a halfdozen times in the Black Pyramid  book with the proper noun capitalization GW likes to do with unit names.

The ordinator/dwarves set them up all over a city they are trying to reclaim, I don't recall them having a great description of what they are just lots of mentions like 'Are the foundations strong enough for a Stormfort?' "They will be if you can keep the beastmen off us"

That sorta thing.

Edited by GlanceOnASix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ledha said:

I'm not sure with the azyrite halo on a ultra buffed unit with impossible to pierce save. Your opponent will most of the time not attack the unit at all except with MW if you have a 0+ reroll save

Good. They hit the hardest of all the units on the charge.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:09 AM, xking said:

"Stormkeep"

A stormkeep is basically a castle though.

I reckon we'll see a scenery piece alongside either Forbidden Power or maybe a new Battletime/supplement - either a Lightning rod or a Statue like in the background of the battletome front cover. Possibly to give us some form of Summoning rules perhaps.

2 minutes ago, jaebird said:

You figure at least Castigators get a boxset and warscroll, right? They're the only unit that just has a push fit box, and still no options for the Prime in the unit. That and a new piece of terrain is probably a Forbidden Power release.

I agree plus making them battleline could be possible and would be good 

Hi,

I just went to my first ever Warhammer tournament yesterday. Here's my report, and my impressions of the army. 

Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Lord Arcanum on Gryph - Thundershock

Knight Incantor - Azyrite Halo

2x5 Sequitors

5 Evocators

3 Castigators

1 Celestar Ballista

Round 1 - Nighthaunt: This was my first ever game of warhammer. We played one with 4 objectives in a diamond pattern around the board. I sat my ballista on my home objective and it did WORK. I crushed Reikenor and some Harridans coming down my right flank, but I think I sent too many resources that way, because I got destroyed on my left objective. We ended up tied on VPs, but I got a minor loss on kill points. I may have had poor threat assessment, because I only did 2 damage to his unit of 30 Grimghast reapers before they entered combat, and they tore through everything they touched.  Lessons learned in this one - keep the heroes close to the action, but don't rush them into combat. I missed out on some buffs because my general wasn't close enough to the front lines, then I overcorrected and got run over by reapers. The Knight Incantor did an incredible amount of spell damage until I ran her into combat with a Dreadblade Harrow.  After the game a bystander told me I could have won if I'd retreated my last surviving Sequitor and the Knight in order to deny the kill points. 

Round 2 - Khorne:  We played Take and Hold. I set up my Castigators and Ballista on my home objective behind 5 Sequitors and the heroes. Later my Evos and the other Sequitors deepstriked near the Bloodreavers holding his objective. My poor opponent had to slog across the board while taking Ballista shots and the Incantor spell to the face. Blood Tithe table encourages MSU, but the Knight Incantor really punishes that approach. I got my first win!

Round 3 - Flesh eater courts: The scenario didn't matter. My opponent's army was just 3 monsters. That was it. My whole army died on turn 1. I actually almost won because I deep striked onto his abandoned objectives and got way ahead on points, but once he finished eating my main army, he came and ate the reserves. This opponent's only loss was to another FEC army, which won the tournament.

Impressions of the army: I liked it.  The Knight Incantor and the Celestar Ballista were much more effective than I thought they'd be.  The sequitors did exactly what I expected. The Evocators were great, but my opponents knew they were great so played around them. I don't think I ever got the hang of the best way to use the Lord Arcanum on Gryph. He did well in combat, but I never wanted to risk him, because his buffs were so important.  That might take some experience. Meanwhile, the castigators were terrible They did nothing all day. Opponents laughed off their shots. They were weirdly durable in combat, but if your castigators are in combat you're already losing, so  that doesn't help at all. What should I replace them with? Maybe 10 Skink allies and a 20 point spell? I don't know but I'm open to suggestions. 

Where would you go as far as expanding this to 2K? Recently bought 10 more Sequitors and some Evos on cats, but that still leaves a lot of room.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, Saul Goodman said:

Hello,

Do you want any opinion regarding this list for a future tournament ? Thank you

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Keen-clawed

Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (360)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo

Lord-Castellant (100)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows

2 x Fulminators (240)

2 x Fulminators (240)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Everblaze Comet (100)

Very similar in form to my own list (which I broke down somewhere on these boards previously, but also here) but with a few swaps that make it unique and cool in its own way!

I like your style because you remind me of me ;)

I dont have plans to paint up aventis or Id try your list out too, though I have considered taking 2 x incantors and the comet in place of the prime or fulminators. I think that -2 to cast is quite cool.

Edit/ My next goal for SC right now though is to paint up 2 more Stardrakes. Then I'm trying Lcosd, Celestant Prime and Drakesworn templar and 3 x drakes (maybe 1 LC). Fun!

Edited by Turragor

12 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Very similar in form to my own list (which I broke down somewhere on these boards previously, but also here) but with a few swaps that make it unique and cool in its own way!

I like your style because you remind me of me ;)

I dont have plans to paint up aventis or Id try your list out too, though I have considered taking 2 x incantors and the comet in place of the prime or fulminators. I think that -2 to cast is quite cool.

Edit/ My next goal for SC right now though is to paint up 2 more Stardrakes. Then I'm trying Lcosd, Celestant Prime and Drakesworn templar and 3 x drakes (maybe 1 LC). Fun!

Hey,

In my previous tournament I played with this list.

Lors Celestant on Stardrake, Ignax Scale, Stauch Defender, Keen Claw, Celestine Hammer 560 points

Celestant Prime 340 points

Lord Castellant 100 points

Knight Heraldor 100 points

5 Libérator Hammer and Shield, one GreatHammer 100 points

5 Liberator Hammer and Shiel ont Great Hammer 100 points

5 Judicator with Bow and Prime 160 points

2 Fulminator 240 points

2 Fulminator 240 points

10 Skinks 60 points

This is the list that never disappointed  me in V2.

• LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Hey,

In my previous tournament I played with this list.

Lors Celestant on Stardrake, Ignax Scale, Stauch Defender, Keen Claw, Celestine Hammer 560 points

Celestant Prime 340 points

Lord Castellant 100 points

Knight Heraldor 100 points

5 Libérator Hammer and Shield, one GreatHammer 100 points

5 Liberator Hammer and Shiel ont Great Hammer 100 points

5 Judicator with Bow and Prime 160 points

2 Fulminator 240 points

2 Fulminator 240 points

10 Skinks 60 points

This is the list that never disappointed  me in V2.

I think Id like to try this out too  - if I'm leaving the hedgehog stardrake behind for the truly unkillable ingax version

10 hours ago, Lhurgoyf said:

Hi,

I just went to my first ever Warhammer tournament yesterday. Here's my report, and my impressions of the army. 

Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Lord Arcanum on Gryph - Thundershock

Knight Incantor - Azyrite Halo

2x5 Sequitors

5 Evocators

3 Castigators

1 Celestar Ballista

Round 1 - Nighthaunt: This was my first ever game of warhammer. We played one with 4 objectives in a diamond pattern around the board. I sat my ballista on my home objective and it did WORK. I crushed Reikenor and some Harridans coming down my right flank, but I think I sent too many resources that way, because I got destroyed on my left objective. We ended up tied on VPs, but I got a minor loss on kill points. I may have had poor threat assessment, because I only did 2 damage to his unit of 30 Grimghast reapers before they entered combat, and they tore through everything they touched.  Lessons learned in this one - keep the heroes close to the action, but don't rush them into combat. I missed out on some buffs because my general wasn't close enough to the front lines, then I overcorrected and got run over by reapers. The Knight Incantor did an incredible amount of spell damage until I ran her into combat with a Dreadblade Harrow.  After the game a bystander told me I could have won if I'd retreated my last surviving Sequitor and the Knight in order to deny the kill points. 

Round 2 - Khorne:  We played Take and Hold. I set up my Castigators and Ballista on my home objective behind 5 Sequitors and the heroes. Later my Evos and the other Sequitors deepstriked near the Bloodreavers holding his objective. My poor opponent had to slog across the board while taking Ballista shots and the Incantor spell to the face. Blood Tithe table encourages MSU, but the Knight Incantor really punishes that approach. I got my first win!

Round 3 - Flesh eater courts: The scenario didn't matter. My opponent's army was just 3 monsters. That was it. My whole army died on turn 1. I actually almost won because I deep striked onto his abandoned objectives and got way ahead on points, but once he finished eating my main army, he came and ate the reserves. This opponent's only loss was to another FEC army, which won the tournament.

Impressions of the army: I liked it.  The Knight Incantor and the Celestar Ballista were much more effective than I thought they'd be.  The sequitors did exactly what I expected. The Evocators were great, but my opponents knew they were great so played around them. I don't think I ever got the hang of the best way to use the Lord Arcanum on Gryph. He did well in combat, but I never wanted to risk him, because his buffs were so important.  That might take some experience. Meanwhile, the castigators were terrible They did nothing all day. Opponents laughed off their shots. They were weirdly durable in combat, but if your castigators are in combat you're already losing, so  that doesn't help at all. What should I replace them with? Maybe 10 Skink allies and a 20 point spell? I don't know but I'm open to suggestions. 

Where would you go as far as expanding this to 2K? Recently bought 10 more Sequitors and some Evos on cats, but that still leaves a lot of room.

Expanding this army is mostly going to be in bulking out the units. Minimum units of anything is pretty meh overall for us, unless it's only taken for Battleline requirements. 5 Evos are probably the most ok min unit, but even then, 10 is better. 10-20 Sequitors is much better, as well.

Castigators can be taken minimum sized, but you'll want more than 3, maybe a few units of 3.

• Thanks 1