AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, ledha said:

I use Aventis Firestrike in a 1000 pts army

Could you share that comp and how you play it? I bought Aventis for 2k comps but it seems my local area plays mostly 1k. It sad seeing him on the shelf and I would like to play him in 1k army but he seems hard to fit.

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

@PJetski has the correct reading. If you consult the rules on "units of wizards" they elect a single model to cast and/or unbind each action. This would also follow the wording for manipulating the cogs. They are all also considered wizards so long as there are at least two of them in the unit.

Righto! I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification bruddah! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Joeyj001 said:

Righto! I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification bruddah! 

For clearing your doubts, check the page 8 of the core rules.

UNITS OF WIZARDS Wizards are usually fielded as a unit consisting of just one model. If a unit with the Wizard keyword has more than one model, it counts as a single wizard for all rules purposes, and you must pick a model from the unit to cast or unbind a spell before you attempt to cast or unbind it; measure the distance and check visibility using the model you picked.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Future said:

@PJetski How do you feel about 20 sequitors over 10 evos? I was thinking of a similar list with sequitors and comet

Evocators do much more damage, and it's especially noticeable when you get an extra round of their Celestial Lightning Arc ability in the hero phase. Their longer range weapons allows you to counter pile-in from behind your battleline units. Sequitors also take up twice as much space, which makes moving them around very awkward.

The only benefit Sequitors have is that they have more wounds, but that's not really a concern with the Anvils list I run.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1

I’m curious if folks have any advice, need to decide if I should build my model as a venator or azyros? I’m a newbie and have only played A few games so far  with people admitedly taking it easy on me. I used a similar list to this one but i didn’t have the phoenix yet and was using the grand convocation Battalion. Or any suggestions overall?  i want to have an azyros, venator, or prosecutors because the winged models are so awesome. 

I don’t need a world-beater list for tournaments but I don’t want to get obliterated every time I play. Although I’d like to win against my friend who also just started playing warhams. He always kicks my ass in chess and go so I want some sweet revenge in the mortal realms!  He has legion of sac with Arkhan, necros, and nighthaunt units.  

im considering the attached list, or doing the knight-venator and an allied skink starpriest, instead of the azyros and archmage?? 

2FC14173-8074-4AB4-9FC4-EAD889BD9189.jpeg

6 hours ago, Joeyj001 said:

I’m curious if folks have any advice, need to decide if I should build my model as a venator or azyros? I’m a newbie and have only played A few games so far  with people admitedly taking it easy on me. I used a similar list to this one but i didn’t have the phoenix yet and was using the grand convocation Battalion. Or any suggestions overall?  i want to have an azyros, venator, or prosecutors because the winged models are so awesome. 

I don’t need a world-beater list for tournaments but I don’t want to get obliterated every time I play. Although I’d like to win against my friend who also just started playing warhams. He always kicks my ass in chess and go so I want some sweet revenge in the mortal realms!  He has legion of sac with Arkhan, necros, and nighthaunt units.  

im considering the attached list, or doing the knight-venator and an allied skink starpriest, instead of the azyros and archmage?? 

2FC14173-8074-4AB4-9FC4-EAD889BD9189.jpeg

Venator is a weird one. For his points if he even half pays off he’s absolutely worth it, but his purpose-hero/monster slaying-is far too important to trust to two dice rolls. So he always ends up seeming like overkill or a complete waste.

Azyros is unlikely to appear clutch in the way Venator can but if you can keep him safe his buffs are huge as it’s all hits, not just missile, that re-roll on a 1. Against Chaos he’s also capable of dropping quite a big damage bomb. I usually find he’s a good contestant for an artefact as well so you can either keep him tanky and annoying in a major area of the battlefield, or flutter around and chase low wound casters and such. Bit of a gimmick but if you give him the sword of forgetfulness and cause a wound against a spellcaster you can make them forget a spell. Quite effective against necromancers and Branch wytches etc who are just there for low cost spells. 

So uh no contest for me. Azyros does what he does reliably and he does it well. Venator either a massive success or failure but if you’re banking on him being the answer to heroes or monsters your list has gone wrong somewhere. And if you’re not, why bother.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nos said:

Venator is a weird one. For his points if he even half pays off he’s absolutely worth it, but his purpose-hero/monster slaying-is far too important to trust to two dice rolls. So he always ends up seeming like overkill or a complete waste.

Azyros is unlikely to appear clutch in the way Venator can but if you can keep him safe his buffs are huge as it’s all hits, not just missile, that re-roll on a 1. Against Chaos he’s also capable of dropping quite a big damage bomb. I usually find he’s a good contestant for an artefact as well so you can either keep him tanky and annoying in a major area of the battlefield, or flutter around and chase low wound casters and such. Bit of a gimmick but if you give him the sword of forgetfulness and cause a wound against a spellcaster you can make them forget a spell. Quite effective against necromancers and Branch wytches etc who are just there for low cost spells. 

So uh no contest for me. Azyros does what he does reliably and he does it well. Venator either a massive success or failure but if you’re banking on him being the answer to heroes or monsters your list has gone wrong somewhere. And if you’re not, why bother.

Hm I think people look too much on his Star Fated Arrow to do massive damage. In actuality, a 5 wound, 3+ save Hero with similar shooting power (less, but not by a huge amount) to a unit of Judicators is really, really useful. 120 point dude that can sit in the back of your board and still contribute quite well towards chipping away at units is nothing to scoff at. Especially when you're focused heavily on shooting and still need something to zip around the backfield for zoning/contesting, or something to chuck onto a 3PoP objective but still contribute to damage, and not just sit there like many of our Heroes do.

I would agree that in many/most cases, the Azyros is better, but there seems to be this sentiment that if you don't nuke someone with the SFA, the Venator is useless, and I don't think that's quite true.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Hm I think people look too much on his Star Fated Arrow to do massive damage. In actuality, a 5 wound, 3+ save Hero with similar shooting power (less, but not by a huge amount) to a unit of Judicators is really, really useful. 120 point dude that can sit in the back of your board and still contribute quite well towards chipping away at units is nothing to scoff at. Especially when you're focused heavily on shooting and still need something to zip around the backfield for zoning/contesting, or something to chuck onto a 3PoP objective but still contribute to damage, and not just sit there like many of our Heroes do.

I would agree that in many/most cases, the Azyros is better, but there seems to be this sentiment that if you don't nuke someone with the SFA, the Venator is useless, and I don't think that's quite true.

I recently switch from Azyros to Venator as I didn't have a beat stick to take advantage of azyros and was finding I generally kept him in backline so was a waste.

Have no regrets with Venator, that extra damage per phase of 2/3 wounds on average has been really helpful compared to azyros that didn't really see combat and just buffed.

and on the occasion it's been nice to see the star fated arrow actually go off, did 9 damage to Archaon in my last game lol but don't expect that will ever happen again.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nine7six said:

I recently switch from Azyros to Venator as I didn't have a beat stick to take advantage of azyros and was finding I generally kept him in backline so was a waste.

Have no regrets with Venator, that extra damage per phase of 2/3 wounds on average has been really helpful compared to azyros that didn't really see combat and just buffed.

and on the occasion it's been nice to see the star fated arrow actually go off, did 9 damage to Archaon in my last game lol but don't expect that will ever happen again.

My idea behind the Azyros was to deep strike him to a location where his aura will hit the most enemy units, particularly in conjunction with ballistae or longstrikes.

4 minutes ago, Braneric said:

My idea behind the Azyros was to deep strike him to a location where his aura will hit the most enemy units, particularly in conjunction with ballistae or longstrikes.

that was my original idea too but then deepstriking 9" inches away means his aura is really only hitting 1 unit since it's 10" wide and then generally it's the opponents turn and you just put your 100 point model in easy charge distance for 1 turn of rerolling to 1s to hit. Plus a good player is going to have you screened so you can only hit chaff models.

2 hours ago, nine7six said:

that was my original idea too but then deepstriking 9" inches away means his aura is really only hitting 1 unit since it's 10" wide and then generally it's the opponents turn and you just put your 100 point model in easy charge distance for 1 turn of rerolling to 1s to hit. Plus a good player is going to have you screened so you can only hit chaff models.

you can try to run the azyros. 12"+d6"=15"(in average) or you can make it a 18" by using 1 CP. Or if you use the astral stormhost, you can move 6"+12"+d6"=21" in average. Usually the deployment zone is just 18" or 24". 

Was thinking about this 

anvils 

relictor/veritant 

heraldor

incantor 

Incantor 

azyros(some doubt start here...just for 1turn rerolls ? Isn’t better to get a castellan to boost evocators?) 

2x5 libs 

5 juds 

10 evocators (5 2hw)

9 longstrikes 

2x3 eatherwings

1980/2000

what your thoughts about this? 

I can change juds for another libs unit and change one incantor with an arcanum on gryphchaeger/foot 

i would like to find points for a comet...

Edited by RocketMan

Registered to ask this question.

I see a lot of talk of Anvils lists with 3x Ballista plus Ordinator, Sequitor Battleline, and 10x Evocators. What makes this list work? Do the ballista go in the sky and deepstrike to get 18” range or start on the table? Where is the synergy with the Command Trait, as it can only be used in the hero phase so Ballista already need to be on the table and you can’t buff all three, and/or Evocators need to be in combat already without Gav deep strike.

Wouldnt this list work better as Astral Templars  as you get the +1 vs monsters and 6” pre game move to deliver the Evocators?

This list has done well in tournaments recently so I’m really missing something.

20 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Registered to ask this question.

I see a lot of talk of Anvils lists with 3x Ballista plus Ordinator, Sequitor Battleline, and 10x Evocators. What makes this list work? Do the ballista go in the sky and deepstrike to get 18” range or start on the table? Where is the synergy with the Command Trait, as it can only be used in the hero phase so Ballista already need to be on the table and you can’t buff all three, and/or Evocators need to be in combat already without Gav deep strike.

Wouldnt this list work better as Astral Templars  as you get the +1 vs monsters and 6” pre game move to deliver the Evocators?

This list has done well in tournaments recently so I’m really missing something.

I would agree that perhaps Templars is more efficient. I think many people just saw "shoot an extra time" and looked at how efficient Ballistas are and hoped for the best, but you are correct that they're a poor overall choice for the CA. Still, if the Evocators are in combat and can pile in twice with the CA, that's pretty great, and using a point on a Ballista is not a terrible use of efficiency. 

Basically, the list would be - wall of Sequitors backed by Evos, drop in with Ballistas and delete something, let them get charged, countercharge with Sequitors/Evocators, push across for the win. It's a lot like the Longstrike version of the list, but less reliant on the Anvils ability and more efficient if you have to drop in or conserve command points. Ultimately it comes down to choice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan said:

Was thinking about this 

anvils 

relictor/veritant 

heraldor

incantor 

Incantor 

azyros(some doubt start here...just for 1turn rerolls ? Isn’t better to get a castellan to boost evocators?) 

2x5 libs 

5 juds 

10 evocators (5 2hw)

9 longstrikes 

2x3 eatherwings

1980/2000

what your thoughts about this? 

I can change juds for another libs unit and change one incantor with an arcanum on gryphchaeger/foot 

i would like to find points for a comet...

up

Had a friendly game with my buddy last night.
Here was the list I ran.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Azyr
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Meteoric Standard
Knight-Heraldor (100)
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 6x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Retributors (440)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- 4x Grandstaves

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Pride leader with only 1 set of Dracolines is pretty useless and very cost heavy too. I still have to grasp that my leader and the dracolines are more of a support unit(s) not a roll in guns blazing kick ass take names unit. I lost my leader and Evo's on Draco's at the end of round 1. They should have stayed behind my big blocks of Seq's and came out when needed.
Not having any shooting really put me at a huge disadvantage as far as weaken enemies down before they charged in. 

My golden stars were my Vex and Heraldor. Vex was able to drop Meteoric standard for some early damage to units and the Heraldor sweet horn blast wrecked some units a few times. They provided rerolls for charge and the Run plus charge was pretty sweet. 

Another big mistake I made was putting my Retribtuors in reserve. Not only did miss my turn 1 deep strike deploy but I didn't put the Vex with them to help provide a re-roll if I needed it for a charge. Lucky for me it wasn't needed I rolled a 11 and got to my target.

All in all I am going to have to consider Libs over Seq's if I plan to dump Evo's. Adding in shooting guys is a must. Use Lib lines to protect my support guys as we advance. Ret's are still solid they came in and packed a mean punch just have to be ensured they can make that charge roll or it's for nothing.

In total I own about 10 Evo's on foot and 1 set of Evo's on dracolines. I assume I need another Dracoline box and how many more Evo's on foot?

1 hour ago, RocketMan said:

up

If you really want a Comet, swap the Judicators to Libs and drop one unit of Aetherwings. 

As for the Azyros, I find him useful for a few reasons - the rerolls and MWs are nice, but also he's just a fast Hero, so quite useful in 3 Places of Power and the like, plus as a quick moving support piece. You could probably swap him out for a Castellant but honestly you really want your Evos and Longstrikes to be at max effectiveness, so the rerolls are basically godlike for that.

42 minutes ago, Rotten said:

Had a friendly game with my buddy last night.
Here was the list I ran.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Azyr
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Meteoric Standard
Knight-Heraldor (100)
10 x Sequitors (240)
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Retributors (440)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (200)
- 4x Grandstaves

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Pride leader with only 1 set of Dracolines is pretty useless and very cost heavy too. I still have to grasp that my leader and the dracolines are more of a support unit(s) not a roll in guns blazing kick ass take names unit. I lost my leader and Evo's on Draco's at the end of round 1. They should have stayed behind my big blocks of Seq's and came out when needed.
Not having any shooting really put me at a huge disadvantage as far as weaken enemies down before they charged in. 

My golden stars were my Vex and Heraldor. Vex was able to drop Meteoric standard for some early damage to units and the Heraldor sweet horn blast wrecked some units a few times. They provided rerolls for charge and the Run plus charge was pretty sweet. 

Another big mistake I made was putting my Retribtuors in reserve. Not only did miss my turn 1 deep strike deploy but I didn't put the Vex with them to help provide a re-roll if I needed it for a charge. Lucky for me it wasn't needed I rolled a 11 and got to my target.

All in all I am going to have to consider Libs over Seq's if I plan to dump Evo's. Adding in shooting guys is a must. Use Lib lines to protect my support guys as we advance. Ret's are still solid they came in and packed a mean punch just have to be ensured they can make that charge roll or it's for nothing.

In total I own about 10 Evo's on foot and 1 set of Evo's on dracolines. I assume I need another Dracoline box and how many more Evo's on foot?

There are a few mistakes in this list. General of Hammer of sigmar must take that god-forged blade as its aretifact. a unit of 10 sequitor can bring at most 5 great mace( 2 greatmace every 5 people and one for the prime). 

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

@HammerOfSigmar I am pretty sure when I read the BT for the seq's a unit of 5 can have two great mauls and the prime can take mace and shield or Great maul. Which would give the unit 3 Mauls. The host yea I screwed that up completely I have to have that weapon period. Maybe I should have used Hallowed Knights?

*edit "to" correction "two"

Edited by Rotten
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Rotten said:

@HammerOfSigmar I am pretty sure when I read the BT for the seq's a unit of 5 can have two great mauls and the prime can take mace and shield or Great maul. Which would give the unit 3 Mauls. The host yea I screwed that up completely I have to have that weapon period. Maybe I should have used Hallowed Knights?

It’s fine for the unit of 5 but it dosent multiply by 5, it’s 2 per every 5 plus one for the Prime, so it’s a max of 5 with 10, 7 with 15, 9 with 20.

17 minutes ago, Rotten said:

Each unit can have only one prime, not every 5 model. That's what you misunderstood.

Since you are not using any named character, you are not forced to used the hammer of sigmar.  You can try something else such as anvils.  I don't think hallowed knights are a good choice, since its CA is kind of overlap with heraldor. Its battle trait, to be honest, 6+ to ignore spells or endless spells, is very useless since 6+ is not easy to get. The artefact and command trait does not suit arcanum. It fits some 10+w hero doing tons of damage with melee attackes, maybe stardrake?

One more thing, I also love the retributor and they are much more handsome than the evocators. However, from a game aspect, they get outperformed by the evocator in every aspect.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

If you took a LO as general with astral Hammers so has the CV Command trait and rolled multiple sixes how would that work? Would you count the multiple sixes for the MW aspect as well as the individual 6’s for each 2 damage strike instance? That seems logical but not sure.

2 minutes ago, Nos said:

If you took a LO as general with astral Hammers so has the CV Command trait and rolled multiple sixes how would that work? Would you count the multiple sixes for the MW aspect as well as the individual 6’s for each 2 damage strike instance? That seems logical but not sure.

Astral Hammers just deals d3 Mortals after the attacks, so if you rolled multiple 6s, those hits would deal 2 damage if they wound and then you would also deal d3 MWs at the end. 

If you're talking about the Grandhammer, if you roll a 6 then it does MWs and the sequence ends, so he gets no bonus out of the Command Trait.