AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 minutes ago, Rotten said:

@HammerOfSigmar the Knight Vex is it worth keeping him in that least for the reroll on charge or just use the herald to run and charge instead?

I said change the lord celestant to heraldor in last reply. Then you can have both the vexillor and heraldor. I am not sure why you want to keep lord celestant.  Heraldor and vexillor can buff your army better than the lord celestant.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

37 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Depends on mission, but mostly you can't. 

The best you can do is try to weaken the units in his army without killing them. If you bring them down to a few models left, he can bring back a bunch of them (usually something like 4d3 or more), but if you kill the whole unit then it all comes back. If you can get to Nagash with your supporting units (usually Fulminators, Evocators, or Sequitors) then you might be able to grind him down, but the Drake itself can't kill Nagash without insane luck. 

If you're playing exploding Drake with all the reflecting MWs, the best chance is just to try and get into the Reapers/Skeletons, grind them down, and try to score with the rest of your stuff.

Other option I was thinking about 9 raptor + 10 evocators. Hanvils chamber 

2 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

Other option I was thinking about 9 raptor + 10 evocators. Hanvils chamber 

Popular build going around atm. Longstrikes have a good shot at dropping Nagash pretty quickly, but relies quite a bit on luck and hoping for a double turn. On average, 9 Longstrikes shooting twice deal ~11 wounds to Nagash - without him having any buffs or being debuffed themselves. Once he gets buffs (spells, Command Ability, etc), it's less damage, but it's still one of the best ways to weaken him. 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Turragor said:

Id glue a shield on the LCoD and everything there is handy in most (old school) lists. Maybe not 3 rets :)

I actually use the first 3 in my v strange list here - https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/dr-star-drakelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-celestant-prime/

The list did pretty well at 20 person tournament over weekend. I managed 3rd place: https://tabletop.to/stockholm-slaughter

3 Major wins

1 Minor win

1 Major loss

I lost on total commitment against an 18 offensive eel list. The minor was v 4 Stonehorns on Blood and Glory.

I might tweak the list a bit more but it's hard. I may have to separate the Prime (who either saves the day or barely makes up his points) to start experimenting BUT I will say that the more you use the Prime at a tourney, the more uses you start seeing for him.

29 minutes ago, Turragor said:

The list did pretty well at 20 person tournament over weekend. I managed 3rd place: https://tabletop.to/stockholm-slaughter

3 Major wins

1 Minor win

1 Major loss

I lost on total commitment against an 18 offensive eel list. The minor was v 4 Stonehorns on Blood and Glory.

I might tweak the list a bit more but it's hard. I may have to separate the Prime (who either saves the day or barely makes up his points) to start experimenting BUT I will say that the more you use the Prime at a tourney, the more uses you start seeing for him.

Nice result!

Eels are an eesh matchup for us as-is, and in a mission where your Prime can't do the thing it's even worse. I feel like if you can't get the charge against Morrsarr, you're in a baaad position, but if you charge them with the Drake it's no big deal. 

4 Stonehorns is also the big scary but imo they still suck at playing missions, so no big deal overall. Obviously it worked out for you!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Nice result!

Eels are an eesh matchup for us as-is, and in a mission where your Prime can't do the thing it's even worse. I feel like if you can't get the charge against Morrsarr, you're in a baaad position, but if you charge them with the Drake it's no big deal. 

4 Stonehorns is also the big scary but imo they still suck at playing missions, so no big deal overall. Obviously it worked out for you!

Eels was bad but I learned. I think if I met again I'd forget one of my objectives totally and screen as I did v stonehorns (even if the lib screens exploded). But then I'd be playing catchup and he could just wait while gaining more points. I think I'd have had more luck actually with a cp run and charge with the drake. Into the eels... But he had screened. 

Opponent was calculating and scenario was our worst. So all in all no sadness there! 

Without total commitment the match is totally different but no walk in the park (given he had 2 scryers for deepstrikes too). 

Stonehorns was just skin of teeth stuff. Haha another excellent opponent. And they're so quick across the board. 

Next project is to fit 2 drakes and a prime in one list... :)

7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Is there any issue rules-wise about putting Longstrikes all on the smaller "prime" base instead of the larger ovals? Since both bases are apparently legal for the unit, I was curious if anyone has tried this (easier to fit on terrain or within buff ranges)? Is it scummy?

I wouldn´t do it - seems like modeling for advantage, especially since the building instructions are pretty clear.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Is there any issue rules-wise about putting Longstrikes all on the smaller "prime" base instead of the larger ovals? Since both bases are apparently legal for the unit, I was curious if anyone has tried this (easier to fit on terrain or within buff ranges)? Is it scummy?

Definitely 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

The official base size from GW is 60 x 35 oval as described here - https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Core-Rules-and-Bases-Sizes-EN.pdf

• Thanks 1

Has anyone managed to get the vanilla Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon to work? It seems like it could be very durable with the 6+ mount trait and Staunch Defender, and it is the best spellcaster in terms of number of spells and dispells. But what do you run with it to make it efficient? I've been trying to fit it into a cavalry army but I haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe it could be good with some Stormhost I haven't thought of. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Marzillius said:

Has anyone managed to get the vanilla Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon to work? It seems like it could be very durable with the 6+ mount trait and Staunch Defender, and it is the best spellcaster in terms of number of spells and dispells. But what do you run with it to make it efficient? I've been trying to fit it into a cavalry army but I haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe it could be good with some Stormhost I haven't thought of. What do you think?

I use Aventis Firestrike in a 1000 pts army and a lord arcanum on Tauralon in my go-to 2000 pts list.

What make the Tauralon good is that he make everything at once, and good enough. Lvl 2 spellcaster is solid, he is FAST, resilient and hit hard enough to turn the tide in a fight. I use him to fill the gaps in my frontline of sequitors/evocators, and to give +1 to hit to my ballistas on a unit i REALLY want to kill.

Give him the malign sorcery item giving -1 to hit to any attacks focusing him and he is great. His command ability is very good to move the army in the beginning of the game onto objectives. +2 to run change A LOT of things. He help the army in term of mobility, is a good fighter, boost your gunline... what else do you want ?

Aventis is a way better version for +20 pts. One more attack, one more dispell, a better spell (the lord arcanums version is not very good), two neat abilities and a very powerful CA. He is more a lone missile than a army support, and REALLY want to go in a fight. But making him your general is a waste, so you need someone else.

The cool thing with aventis is that you don't need to play in hammers of sigmar to use him effectively. He can buff any HOS unit, and he is one. And, unlike with Vandus, Gavriel or Astreia, who are useless alone, Aventis can make a good use of his CA even if it's just to boost himself (8 attacks 3+/2+/-1/D3/2 is good). In 1000 pts, he is very hard to handle, because he is a entire package. Comparable monsters (greaters demons for example, verminlords)... are not as fast as him. He WILL choose his fight, and even if he can't go to melee, being a lvl 2 spellcaster make him able to contribute anyway.

And a flying resilient spellcaster is VERY good in some battleplans, especially the orb of relocation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stus67 said:

Is there a reason why people take the verritant over the relictor? 

Purely preference. Veritant brings dispels and an extra body (and a better melee profile, not that it's a huge deal), Relictor brings extra damage/healing and a lower price point. Both are reasonable picks.

• Like 1

Can I get some brutally honest opinions about this list please?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Edit: I only own 3 Dracolines and the match is in Ulgu. I don't want to crush hobby but I wan't to have a list I can fight with while having a good time.

Edited by Black Blade

9 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Leaders
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Vexillor (120)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (200)
- 1x Grandstaves

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Some initial thoughts:

1) If you are going to go with the LA on Dracoline I feel like you need to bring more than just 3 mounted evocators to get the most out of Pride Leader

2) With only a single wizard I question the value of the comet in this list. If your general goes down that's 100 points of your list down the drain.

3) If you can find a way to upgrade one of the liberator squads to sequitors you can run the Cleansing Phalanx 

23 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Leaders
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Vexillor (120)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (200)
- 1x Grandstaves

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Cut the foot Evocators for more Dracolines

Cut the Vexillor for an Incantor - Dracolines already reroll charges

Replace the Sequitors with Judicators to give yourself some shooting power to help the Dracolines

12 minutes ago, Braneric said:

Some initial thoughts:

1) If you are going to go with the LA on Dracoline I feel like you need to bring more than just 3 mounted evocators to get the most out of Pride Leader

2) With only a single wizard I question the value of the comet in this list. If your general goes down that's 100 points of your list down the drain.

3) If you can find a way to upgrade one of the liberator squads to sequitors you can run the Cleansing Phalanx 

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Cut the foot Evocators for more Dracolines

Cut the Vexillor for an Incantor - Dracolines already reroll charges

Replace the Sequitors with Judicators to give yourself some shooting power to help the Dracolines

@Braneric and @PJetski Appreciate the advice but I only own 3 Dracolines, the game is later this week and we know it will be in the realm of Ulgu. I will update the old post with this information.

22 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Definitely get more Dracolines, if you can. A block of 6 with castellant lantern and cogs for a 3+ rerollable save are hard to move, and with the celestial vindicators command trait they do absurd damage.

I don’t believe evos can activate cogs?  Warscroll says “a single wizard” can manipulate it. Evos are not  a single wizard, only a wizard when they are 2 or more models. 

9 minutes ago, Joeyj001 said:

I don’t believe evos can activate cogs?  Warscroll says “a single wizard” can manipulate it. Evos are not  a single wizard, only a wizard when they are 2 or more models. 

It says a single WIZARD, which is a keyword restriction. Dracolines have the WIZARD keyword so they can activate it.

"Single" in this case refers to the number of times it can be activated per turn.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Joeyj001 said:

24 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It says a single WIZARD, which is a keyword restriction. Dracolines have the WIZARD keyword so they can activate it.

"Single" in this case refers to the number of times it can be activated per turn.

@PJetski has the correct reading. If you consult the rules on "units of wizards" they elect a single model to cast and/or unbind each action. This would also follow the wording for manipulating the cogs. They are all also considered wizards so long as there are at least two of them in the unit.

• Like 1