AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

This saturday was a local tourney as well in preparation for LVO. I ended up taking first out of 12 with my Vanguard chamber force. Some lucky scenarios helped as well.

Played a gavriel bomb list first round. But the mission was total commitment. Sorry bud. He had a hailstorm battery as well, but my shooting took out his many sequitors while my maneuverability jumped around the table taking out his shooting. His 10 man evo and gavriel were stuck with holding an objective or forgo that to try and kill me.

Second game was against BCR with double frostlord on stonehorn and double thundertusk. My comet did 15 mortal wounds turn one and both thundertusks had like 2 wounds left. He had a good double turn on turn 2->3 which put him up quite a few points, but he was tabled on turn 4 at which point I passed him in points again.

Last game was against deepkin in duality of death. He took first and pushed eidolon with thrall screen onto one of the points and volturnos and 2 sets of eels on the other. Evocators were able to make the charge against the eidolon after I shot the screen away killing it. With proper bubble wrap myself, I kept the 6 man morsarr unit from showing up in an ideal place. We were trading even points at this time, but he was way down in units lost. Finally I jumped half my army over to volturnos and killed him on turn 4. With no way to get the Aquilor on the other point it was game. Overall a fun event. 

Edited by Darkrich

Nearly finished my first unit of Judicators and realised the Prime dosent get a cloak like all the others. Poor Guy. He’s pretty much the best of all primes as well. The optimal Prime if you will haaaaaaa 

Having decided to try a monochromatic scheme for the first time I highly recommend it to people who want to spend hours painting and have it look like they’ve barely done any.

5D0F6D97-BE1A-4787-8CA9-610DE1FE907E.jpeg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, schwabbele said:

@Nos Your prime is the one with the hair thingy? Are my eyes tricking me or doesn't he have the prime arrow? Nice paint job :)

Thanks pal!

Probably not armed with the corect arrow. Couldn’t begin to be bothered to sort all that jazz out. I hate constructing models (chose a sensible hobby right?)  and these guys really tested my patience. There’s probably 7 of them with the Thundershock bow thing. I just tell my opponents that the Prime has the magic one.

Love the models but they’re still overburdened with too many finniky details like that for my liking. One of the reasons I decided to try the paint job I did was to avoid having to use 15 extra colours to paint belts and scabbards etc. 

Edited by Nos

4 minutes ago, Nos said:

Love the models but they’re still overburdened with too many finniky details like that for my liking. One of the reasons I decided to try the paint job I did was to avoid having to use 15 extra colours to paint belts and scabbards etc. 

I don't mind judicators and liberators, but all of the new sacrosanct models have about 50% more detail to paint, and when you're painting a lot of them it can get pretty annoying and intimidating to start a big unit of them because it feels like the painting never ends.

I recently started a daughters of khaine army, and compared to painting a storcast mode, the smaller models go a whole lot faster, and it makes me realize that part of the issue is that stormcast models are so large. They deceptively take more paint to finish than some of the other model ranges.

4 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Thank you GW and GW Playtesters for that 🤣

all in baby :) why mess around. 😉

Tbh I really wanna try a 4 * 20 Seqs with 4 Castellant list :D

One LA to make them legal  with Azyrite Halo and 3 Incantors with the same. On an 6 to save each unit now doing a MW and also healing one of their own with Castellant buff. 3 auto dispels and 4 dispels a turn. Makes up 3000 points.

The Nope Battalion.

2 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I don't mind judicators and liberators, but all of the new sacrosanct models have about 50% more detail to paint, and when you're painting a lot of them it can get pretty annoying and intimidating to start a big unit of them because it feels like the painting never ends.

I recently started a daughters of khaine army, and compared to painting a storcast mode, the smaller models go a whole lot faster, and it makes me realize that part of the issue is that stormcast models are so large. They deceptively take more paint to finish than some of the other model ranges.

Yeah the larger surface area is more forgiving in some respects but it also means you spend a long time painting anything. Also it means if your layers aren’t smooth it really shows. 

It’s not been so bad with these guys because I’ve been playing with sort of sketching glazes over their base colours and trying  something subtle so experimenting with techniques has kept my interest going . If I was doing the traditional GW Block layers of metal paint  approach as advised in the battle tome think I would have fallen out with them by now though. 

Idoneth are next up for me once these are done and I’m looking forward to something a bit more organic. I’ve enjoyed painting them a lot but It’s quite hard to do an expressive paint job for an army of Monk Robocops. 

B9A97538-1D3B-48A1-BD12-9053C1F793D4.jpeg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, GoddammitGary said:

I'm trying 3 X 20 and three heraldors to keep em all retreat and charging in two weekends time 😛

The Hokey Cokey Battalion 

18 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I'm happy that we have a strong, winning combo in our tome, but the fact that it involves spamming a single unit troubles me. :(

I mean that’s most armies though right? I love AOS but most viable factions have about 6 units that aren’t heroes and one is usually by far the best in respect to value and buffability so ends up making up the bulk pretty much always. Eels, witch elves, skeletons, skinks etc.

Until (if ever?) AOS introduces more tactical aspects to leverage against getting an easily delivered enormous unit that can throw a billion dice in your face I suspect most competitive lists will go that way. 

Sad thing is in my experience games with more variety across armies are just way more fun. And they’re not chronically imbalanced or anything either. Sequitors and Evocators are obviously great but against a similarly well constructed but not win at every cost list it’s not like the Stormcast old guard aren’t effective or enjoyable to use. In some ways I find games like that to be far more of a test of your skill actually because you’re not just going through the motions of the meta or relying on an overpowered gimmick. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nos said:

Idoneth are next up for me once these are done

Haha nice, I also got an Ido project box in my closet :D

6 hours ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

thoughts on soulbright vs a Gryphcanum?  20 pts aint much  to save but seems decent  if you wont miss the rend.  Though the healing spell is nice on gryphy

I wouldn't want to miss the 6D6 "fly" from the gryph arcanum, that ability has the potential to be a game changer.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:29 PM, Nos said:

One LA to make them legal  with Azyrite Halo and 3 Incantors with the same. On an 6 to save each unit now doing a MW and also healing one of their own with Castellant buff. 3 auto dispels and 4 dispels a turn. Makes up 3000 points.

The Nope Battalion.

I may be wrong, but azyrite halo, like every spell, can only be cast once per turn.

10 hours ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

Going off the Halo Spell buff WALL being discussed  (that I love so dearly)

what are some good units to get in an obliterate  with besides  the obvious evocators?

Evocators and Evocators on Dracolines (both good in different lists) are our best melee "hammer" units right now.

Retributors and Dracothian Guard can do it as well, but Evocators/Dracolines are just much more reliable and/or efficient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desolater said:

Question about using skink allies to screen my 3 Ballista and Ordinator, what build do you guys recommend? I know there isn’t a massive difference as at the end of the day there are just there to delay the enemy.

Actually, if you have a terrain on the battlefield and DS the ballista and oridinator there, you don't even need to have them protected...The ballista will have a 2+ save and you can put the ordinator inside the ballista circle so no one can get melee with him.

43 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Actually, if you have a terrain on the battlefield and DS the ballista and oridinator there, you don't even need to have them protected...The ballista will have a 2+ save and you can put the ordinator inside the ballista circle so no one can get melee with him.

Issue is that people deep strike, then put their face in front of my ballista so I then can’t shoot their hero’s.... so, which build for skinks?

6 minutes ago, Desolater said:

Issue is that people deep strike, then put their face in front of my ballista so I then can’t shoot their hero’s.... so, which build for skinks?

That's a really specific case. Ballistas aren't designed to only be hero hunters, if you're clearing units with it, that's good too. You could also be dropping at exactly 18" away, which is a long charge for most units in the game that aren't mounted/flying, or dropping at angles that they don't want to run to because it opens up gaps for the rest of your army. Honestly I usually don't drop my Ballistas until T2 or T3 at the earliest, so they either are forced to stay back in a bubble formation or move up and give me an opening. 

And honestly if you're worried about being countercharged on the Deep Strike, Skinks aren't the best way to protect them, since you have to then run the Skinks across the board. You'd be better off with another Stormcast unit you can drop in with Scions (Libs are cheap, or Sequitors for more punch), or as alternate allies you can take Harpies which have innate reserves. You could also be more precise about spreading Ballistas so they can't all be charged at once - if one gets tied up, the other 2-3 are still available to shoot or something like that.

49 minutes ago, Desolater said:

One good thing about ballista is that it's one model per unit, if someone tries to block you with units like skinks(opponents' side), you can use some of the ballistas to remove the excess enemy models within 3" of your other ballistas(kill enough enemy model so that your opponent need remove some of the models near your other ballista). Usually, the enemy blocks your shooting  have a save of 5+/6+, so on average, 2 ballista can cause 10 wounds in one round, breaking the enemy units' blockage on the third ballista. With ordinator, 4+ to hit and d6 splits attacks is very devastating to remove anything. 

But if you get charged by a bastiladon, which happens to me one time, then forget your ballista, pretending it never exists. 

Edited by HammerOfSigmar