AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

so since AOS2 came out, i love the Dracolines and ive been trying to basically run a cat spam list. ive had mixed results.
generally they shred most things they touch, but against mass shooting lists or something like nighthaunt that ignores rend, they just sort of fall apart.

ive experimented with 5 units of 3 with the mounted Lord Arcanum and 4 units of 3 with 2 mounted Lord Arcanums, but the best results ive had was from something like this (i dont remember the exact list)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Soulthief
- Spell: Stormcaller
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

it still needs some tweaking to really work, but it did alright compared to the prior lists ive tried

Not sure Anvils is best for them. The occasional extra Ballista fire is nice, and an extra swing with the Evos is good but would be better if you were running a 6 or 9 block.

I'd look into Celestial Vindicators - getting to reroll 1s to hit on the charge is amazing for the Dracoline riders, and the CA for extra attacks is as well (again, possibly better if you combined two or all of the units for efficiency). Also makes your Arcanum a bit killier. 

Otherwise I like the list! Shooty power behind terrifying melee units is the way I like to play SCE as well, so I'm a fan :) 

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Not sure Anvils is best for them. The occasional extra Ballista fire is nice, and an extra swing with the Evos is good but would be better if you were running a 6 or 9 block.

I'd look into Celestial Vindicators - getting to reroll 1s to hit on the charge is amazing for the Dracoline riders, and the CA for extra attacks is as well (again, possibly better if you combined two or all of the units for efficiency). Also makes your Arcanum a bit killier. 

Otherwise I like the list! Shooty power behind terrifying melee units is the way I like to play SCE as well, so I'm a fan :) 

8 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

so since AOS2 came out, i love the Dracolines and ive been trying to basically run a cat spam list. ive had mixed results.
generally they shred most things they touch, but against mass shooting lists or something like nighthaunt that ignores rend, they just sort of fall apart.

ive experimented with 5 units of 3 with the mounted Lord Arcanum and 4 units of 3 with 2 mounted Lord Arcanums, but the best results ive had was from something like this (i dont remember the exact list)

Leaders
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

it still needs some tweaking to really work, but it did alright compared to the prior lists ive tried

Someone a few pages back suggested Tempest Lords with a Dracoline list. Has a nice synergy with Dracolines Pack Leader and serves a combat heavy leader well with Command Trait.

• Like 1

i like Anvils for the attacking in the hero phase, it also triggers their mortal wound ability

i wont run big units as i feel the risk of losing 100pts models to battleshock is too great, a big unit is also going to be focused down as much as possible so will take casualities (i dont scions them as i want their spells active). 3 small units is kind of harder to focus down. using command points to auto pass battleshock isnt an option as i need the CPs for the Anvils ability and without battalions i dont get extras

6 hours ago, Nos said:

Someone a few pages back suggested Tempest Lords with a Dracoline list. Has a nice synergy with Dracolines Pack Leader and serves a combat heavy leader well with Command Trait.

Tempest Lords give enough CPs to do Knight Heraldor+run 6 (1 CA)+Pack Leader (as many CAs as possible)+self-Empower for a nuclear alpha-strike Dracoline unit. Three a unit are nice, 6 would be hideous.

Hi guys, new to all this so still learning. Where can I find the warscroll battalions? I have the battletome and found the battalions at the back, but on the app it seems to have more available for a fee. e.g. Aetherstrike force, Annihilation Brotherhood etc.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

41 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Does Shock and Awe apply for the units  re-set up with the lord Aquilor's ability or the lord vexillor?

I believe It does work for the vexillor banner but not for the lord Arcanum's ability as it says on the scroll that you "set up" the unit on the battlefield. I remember the facehammer guys describing it as such on their Battletome review. They are the play testers after all.

2 hours ago, sainted75 said:

I believe It does work for the vexillor banner but not for the lord Arcanum's ability as it says on the scroll that you "set up" the unit on the battlefield. I remember the facehammer guys describing it as such on their Battletome review. They are the play testers after all.

Even as a fellow SCE player i would want to have that faqed before I use it. Oh and given the state of AOS i wouldn't give too much about those play testers 🤣

Edited by schwabbele
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

Leaders
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

I would cut one judicators  unit and put in 10 liberators or 5 liberators and Heraldor.

10 libs for protection of your shooting power and objective control

or 5 for the same reason plus heraldor (I believe he is 100p too) to allow your evos retreat and charge to trigger their charge ability each turn.

So had a small 4 people "tourney" on the weekend. 3 games.

Took a 10 man Evo bomb with two 20 Sequitor blobs to complete the bullshiet experience.

Went 3  - 0 , nobody had fun not even me.

Played Death ( VLoZD, 4 Morghast , Skeletons ) Ironjawz and Skaven.  IJ and Skaven were test lists but I still think they can't do much against my list. Death game was somewhat funnier because we made a lot of mistakes and forgot stuff :D 

All in all kinda meh and underwhelming, back to list building and theoreycrafting I guess.

Edited by schwabbele

21 hours ago, sainted75 said:

Does that mean that it also works for the Lord Relictor's prayer "Translocate" as well? Surely that is the same as the Vexillor's banner as they both use the same words "set it up again anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" etc."

1 minute ago, Phil D said:

Does that mean that it also works for the Lord Relictor's prayer "Translocate" as well? Surely that is the same as the Vexillor's banner as they both use the same words "set it up again anywhere on the battlefield more than 9" etc."

imo this works after any and all setups. It doesn't specify "the first time". It doesn't specify "via lightning strike".

It's not so OP. It's 1 turn (your own turn) of -1. You'd need to complete a charge after setup to get the benefit in the combat phase.

17 minutes ago, Turragor said:

imo this works after any and all setups. It doesn't specify "the first time". It doesn't specify "via lightning strike".

It's not so OP. It's 1 turn (your own turn) of -1. You'd need to complete a charge after setup to get the benefit in the combat phase.

I play it as any rule that "sets up" a unit, so vexillor banner, lightning strike, translocation etc. As you say its far from being OP as its only the turn you do it on not the battleround.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, schwabbele said:

So had a small 4 people "tourney" on the weekend. 3 games.

Took a 10 man Evo bomb with two 20 Sequitor blobs to complete the bullshiet experience.

Went 3  - 0 , nobody had fun not even me.

Played Death ( VLoZD, 4 Morghast , Skeletons ) Ironjawz and Skaven.  IJ and Skaven were test lists but I still think they can't do much against my list. Death game was somewhat funnier because we made a lot of mistakes and forgot stuff :D 

All in all kinda meh and underwhelming, back to list building and theoreycrafting I guess.

This is my issue with Gav Bombs. Super strong, very few (if any) weaknesses... but they're so boring. Just a couple huge units that kill anything they touch and not much else going on. Barely any finesse other than staggering deep strike turns or using a variable amount of CP on Gav stacking.

It's super good, and if you bring it to an event you'll win far more than you lose. Just don't expect any memorable games or favorite opponent votes.

7 hours ago, Turragor said:

A set up is a set up. There's no confusion here - anything that takes you off the board and sets you back up again will trigger Shock and Awe, as will Scions of the Storm. 

Well, I played Gav 10 mam evo bomb on 1500p tournament this Saturday. Only game I lost was against new goblins. That guy wiped my 10 evos in one turn (one unit of fanatics and one Mangler Squigs, he did not even used all squigs atacks). On turn two he smashed bigger part of rest of my army.

I won other twogames (Ironjaws and Sylvaneth and as new player on aos I even had fun) but for new goblins I was like no real contest. 

Overall, I think that means that biggest weaknes of gavriel bomb is low survivability when it meets another stomp army just with better dice rolls or simply having first attack.. As Gavblmb is kind of a one trick pony, this just hurts a lot.

31 minutes ago, Requizen said:

This is my issue with Gav Bombs. Super strong, very few (if any) weaknesses... but they're so boring. Just a couple huge units that kill anything they touch and not much else going on. Barely any finesse other than staggering deep strike turns or using a variable amount of CP on Gav stacking.

It's super good, and if you bring it to an event you'll win far more than you lose. Just don't expect any memorable games or favorite opponent votes.

A set up is a set up. There's no confusion here - anything that takes you off the board and sets you back up again will trigger Shock and Awe, as will Scions of the Storm. 

Gav Bomb is just utterly tedious. I play wargames because I like the spectacle and the maneouvering, the ebb and flow and such. 

Gav Bomb you don’t even get the spectacle because half your army is on the table, It require essentially no skill to pull off, and it finishes the battle one way or the other after about 40 mins max.

Literally dozens of hours of painting an army plus giving up your evening for that? What a wonderful experience.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Well, I played Gav 10 mam evo bomb on 1500p tournament this Saturday. Only game I lost was against new goblins. That guy wiped my 10 evos in one turn (one unit of fanatics and one Mangler Squigs, he did not even used all squigs atacks). On turn two he smashed bigger part of rest of my army.

I won other twogames (Ironjaws and Sylvaneth and as new player on aos I even had fun) but for new goblins I was like no real contest. 

Overall, I think that means that biggest weaknes of gavriel bomb is low survivability when it meets another stomp army just with better dice rolls or simply having first attack.. As Gavblmb is kind of a one trick pony, this just hurts a lot.

It's only low survivability if you're not doing 20+ Sequitors as well. They're super hardy to chew through (especially if you get a Castellant Lantern on them) and have a big enough footprint to tie up a huge amount of your opponent's army. Not to mention still hitting quite hard thanks to 9 Greatmaces per unit. I think the strongest Gav lists take at lest 20 Seqs + 10~15 Evos, if not 40 Seqs.