AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm a new Warhammer player. I started playing a few months ago. I made a new Stormcast list and would like opinions on it. I'm only playing with a few friends and have not started playing anything competitive yet.

The idea behind this list is to have a heavy charge of Dracoline to capture an enemy objective while sequitors guard mine. As support I have of a scion of 3 ballista with an Ordinator to delete high priority enemy hero and provide some nice range damage. I'm not 100% sure about the artifact I chose, I like the idea of a few free mortal wounds with the Luminary Rod. And if the Aetherquartz Brooch can give me 1 extra command point for one more  Pack Alpha I think it would be worth it.

Anyway here is the list

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Luminary Rod
- Spell: Chain Lightning
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 3x Grandstaves
- 3x Grandstaves

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

2 hours ago, Orzo said:

Oh, I am new to wh and I totally missed that keyword. Does it mean that I have to pick Hammers of Sigmar stormhost to be allowed to play him of for example A streia insteda of lets say Vindicators?

You can include units with the Hammers Of Sigmar keyword in any army, but that's their stormhost - they won't gain the benefits of anything that affects only, for example, Celestial Vindicators, which means that they often create a synergy problem. Equally, any abilities they have that only affect Hammers Of Sigmar units won't work on the rest of your army (which is why all the Gavriel Sureheart lists use the Hammers Of Sigmar stormhost) 

Hey guys, so I played my friends FEV Army yesterday, he brought 2 start collecting FEC Boxes; 
2 x GhoulKings on Terrorgheist 
2x Ghoul units 
3 Crypt horrors with another off the table to summon 

I had 1240 
Lord Arcanum on gryph Charger 
Knight Incantor 
10 Sequitors 
3 Castigators 
2 Ballista 
Lord Ordinator 
5 Evocators 

Basically I let him get to my ballista and tie them up, my Sequitors did good work on 
One of his hero’s but I got overwhelmed. How can I stop him getting to my ballistas but without giving up control of the match? 
Any help appreciated

looking to develop to 1500 points then onto 2000

On 12/16/2018 at 8:31 AM, Ozzy0sb said:

I'm a new Warhammer player. I started playing a few months ago. I made a new Stormcast list and would like opinions on it. I'm only playing with a few friends and have not started playing anything competitive yet.

The idea behind this list is to have a heavy charge of Dracoline to capture an enemy objective while sequitors guard mine. As support I have of a scion of 3 ballista with an Ordinator to delete high priority enemy hero and provide some nice range damage. I'm not 100% sure about the artifact I chose, I like the idea of a few free mortal wounds with the Luminary Rod. And if the Aetherquartz Brooch can give me 1 extra command point for one more  Pack Alpha I think it would be worth it.

Anyway here is the list

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Luminary Rod
- Spell: Chain Lightning
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces

Units
- 3x Grandstaves
- 3x Grandstaves

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

evocators on dracolines cannot bring 3 grandstave, only 2 of 3 can bring grandstaves.

9 hours ago, Desolater said:

How can I stop him getting to my ballistas but without giving up control of the match?

Use cheap screening units like aetherwings and skinks
Also unless you had 2 units of 5 sequitors and not 10 as in the list you posted - your list was invalid because it is lacking second battleline

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Use cheap screening units like aetherwings and skinks
Also unless you had 2 units of 5 sequitors and not 10 as in the list you posted - your list was invalid because it is lacking second battleline

Yeah skinks I think I’ll go. Any suggestions on weapon load outs?

and yes I am aware of battleline requirements.

Hi Everyone,

two questions:

1.  I've heard the Celestant Primes' retribution from on high ability allows him to be put in reserve without counting towards the 50% deployed units, is this true?
  2. If the above is true then when I run the warrior brotherhood and I decide to use "lightning strike ability" gained from battalion instead of "shock and awe" from the allegiance can I null deploy?

I feel that if 1 is true since it's a different ability then 2 should also be true?

46 minutes ago, nine7six said:

Hi Everyone,

two questions:

1.  I've heard the Celestant Primes' retribution from on high ability allows him to be put in reserve without counting towards the 50% deployed units, is this true?
  2. If the above is true then when I run the warrior brotherhood and I decide to use "lightning strike ability" gained from battalion instead of "shock and awe" from the allegiance can I null deploy?

I feel that if 1 is true since it's a different ability then 2 should also be true?

Yes to both questions. There is no general rule about how many units can be put in reserve, so each ability that puts units in reserve is bound only by its own rules.

I remember seeing a table summarising expected damage output of:

Castigators vs. Judicators vs. Ballista

Can anyone remember where this table was from and link it again?

Also (maths heavy question), how do you even go about calculating the average wounds for a Ballista on rapid fire? I need some maths-hammer experts to teach me the probability calculations, I failed to do it in excel.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:34 AM, RocketMan said:

any suggestion against sylvaneth?

Have you got a Knight-Heraldor. It's fun turning their own trees against them.

You'd probably need to be a little more specific, what type of Sylvaneth are you facing? Is it an Alarielle?

On 12/22/2018 at 2:52 AM, Skasian said:

I remember seeing a table summarising expected damage output of:

Castigators vs. Judicators vs. Ballista

Can anyone remember where this table was from and link it again?

Also (maths heavy question), how do you even go about calculating the average wounds for a Ballista on rapid fire? I need some maths-hammer experts to teach me the probability calculations, I failed to do it in excel.

Simple calculation. Not considering any buff and enemy saves(castigator reroll  hits of 1):

castigator(80 points)  1*(5/6+1/6*5/6)*2/3*1+2*(2/3+1/6*2/3)*2/3*1=91/54=1.685

judicator(160 points, choosing the bow rather than crossbow) 1*5/6*3.5*2/3*1+4*2/3*2/3*1=67/18=3.722

ballista with single shot(100 points) 1*2/3*3.5*2/3*1=14/9=1.556

ballista with rapid fire(100 points) 4*1/3*3.5*2/3*1=28/9=3.111

That's some well-illustrated calculating there Hammer!

In the spirit of that helpful contribution, I wanted to answer the question that came up a couple of times a page ago regarding the Lord-Ordinator.

From a purely mathematical efficiency standpoint, The Lord-Ordinator is inefficient for 1-2 ballistas, and becomes more valuable than the fourth ballista when he is surrounded by 3.  Just to illustrate how that works.

• One ballista hitting on 5s hits 1.333 times (before those hits explode into more hits)
  • One ballista near an ordinator hits 2 times.  That leaves us a difference of 0.667. 
  • So for each ballista added, we add another 0.667. The ordinator has the same impact as a third ballista, but he is 140% of the cost, so that isn't quite efficient.
  • At 3 ballistas, adding a lord-ordinator accounts for 2 extra hits. That is more efficient than the 4th ballista even if you account for the points cost increase (by multiplying the hits of a fourth ballista by 1.4).

More important than pure mathematical efficiency are the practical applications. Here are some important things to remember:

• Although more efficient, deploying  three ballistas wholly within 9" of a lord-ordinator restricts your placement options, and makes counterplay much easier for your opponent.
  • If you are playing Anvils of the Heldenhammer, then you'll need a hero in the exact same distance as the lord-ordinator to use heroes from another age, so the ordinator gains more value, even with only two ballistas.
  • Giving the ordinator one of your "throwaway" artefacts allows him to be a scoring unit in places of arcane power.
  • Sometimes, you just really need 40 more points.

So to answer the infamous question of "Should I Ordinator?" You have to look at more than pure output efficiency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, I just bought a box of Sequitors and a box of evocators on dracolines. Have I missed something or does both the prime choices available in the box lack a stormsmite greatmace option? also there's only 4 greatmaces in the package overall so you can't make 2 groups of 5 with 3 in each? Same thing with dracolines and greatstaves. Says 2 out of 3 rider can carry them yet there's only one in the box afaik. Brand new kit but it seems I have to kitbash and convert some of the more obvious choices. Unless of course I'm missing something? 

If I have understood this correctly. How did you guys go about this? Just assemble the Primes with regular weapons and just telll your opponent that they in fact have greatmaces or try to kitbash your own? 

Edited by Nox

2 hours ago, Nox said:

Hey guys, I just bought a box of Sequitors and a box of evocators on dracolines. Have I missed something or does both the prime choices available in the box lack a stormsmite greatmace option? also there's only 4 greatmaces in the package overall so you can't make 2 groups of 5 with 3 in each? Same thing with dracolines and greatstaves. Says 2 out of 3 rider can carry them yet there's only one in the box afaik. Brand new kit but it seems I have to kitbash and convert some of the more obvious choices. Unless of course I'm missing something? 

If I have understood this correctly. How did you guys go about this? Just assemble the Primes with regular weapons and just telll your opponent that they in fact have greatmaces or try to kitbash your own? 

I don’t know about Evocators but you are correct about sequitors. They really have just 4 maces. I guess reason is that they obviously chamged their warscrolls, but not boxes. Warscrolls which came with soul wars said “ome mace in every 3 sequitors + one for prime”. It’s 2 of five or 4 of 10. With this it makes sence, but actual warscrolls say “2 of 5 “ :(

On 12/26/2018 at 5:24 PM, Nox said:

You can do two Grandstaves with the Evocators on Dracolines box, as long as you use the Lord Arcanum's staff as one of them, which should work fine. 

For Sequitors... yeah, it's just awkward. The Greatmace arms work fine on the Prime bodies with only a little bit of messing about with shoulder pads, so it's easy to make it work, but obviously the problem is you then don't have enough in the box. So you either need to convert one (or two if you're doing 2 x 5) or get extra ones from elsewhere (e.g. the easy-build box or buying parts online). I think I'm going to try converting a big spear from one of the Prime swords and counting it as a Greatmace... 

I think for whatever reason (probably a tight deadline) there was a bunch of internal miscommunication at GW around the Sacrosanct release. We know that standard practice is for the miniatures to be designed first, and rules written for them later, and I think this probably ended up being an awkward case of that, with stuff like the easy-build Sequitor Prime being useless despite being one of the coolest models GW's ever produced, and the Soul Wars box coming with all these random numbers of minis per unit.