AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Skasian said:

Why wouldn't you just take Incantor in Skirmish? He is broken if your playing rules as written since his mortal wound output in Skirmish is absurd both spell and flask-wise.

Because it costs 28 points, and also you have to be in range and to cast a 7+ spell.

The Lord-Relictor is much more versatile at 20 points.

Also in skirmish you'll most likely will want to kill one big target rather than various small ones (kill the general and the warband will crumble).

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Oh that sounds really good! Congrats, Creating a Relictor from the model doesn't really spark the imagination just yet. I'l have look through the bit box tonight. But as a list it would be amazingly strong! 

Try to take a look at the Flagellants sprue, you'll surerly find some useful pieces.

And if you need some ispiration this is my converted Sequitor Prime with Stormsmite Greatmace.

IMG_20181209_193234_248.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

Try to take a look at the Flagellants sprue, you'll surerly find some useful pieces.

And if you need some ispiration this is my converted Sequitor Prime with Stormsmite Greatmace.

IMG_20181209_193234_248.jpg

Great work! You really made the pose work and seem natural. Also very good to see the pose still works without the shield as it would limit my options (to convert it to a hero) to questor or a Sureheart conversion. 

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

I'm trying my damnedest to make the Lord Celestant on Dracoth work. Anyone have any tips? He just seems to die so easily and he himself dishes out so little. 

Well, he is kinda meh

I see him as objective sitter at best, with staunch defender, ignax's scales and mount trait to reduce multiple damage attacks he is quite tanky
Giving him more attacks and Lightning Hammer to pin enemy heavy hitters as well as taking him as Knights Excelsior general with -3 rend artifact on top might be fun. Also loremaster would synergise with him very well

What have you tried?

• Like 1

In smaller games the Celestant on Dracoth is a beast, with shield and cover/staunch defender/castellant lantern he's really hard to shift. Thanks to his move he's not that easy to avoid. But as games grow there are more tools to deal with him, too.

The problem with him imo is the opportunity cost. A Lord Arcanum on Gryph is not quite as tanky and deals not quite as much damage but gets to cast a spell, has cycle of the storm and soulflasks, a ton of mobility in windrunner, and, maybe most importantly, unlocks sequitors as troops. Adding two of those expensive mounted lords hurts the model count of our already elite army. (While i'm saying this i'm toying with a double Arcanum list 😂)

Edited by Lucur

I've dipped in and out of this thread lots (not a Stormcast player though my son has 2000 pts of them accumulated over box sets etc), but is there a mathematical conclusion/consensus to taking a Lord-Ordinator with only two Ballista?

I played a few games with my boy and the Lord-Ordinator buffs were appreciated. However, I'm making a "mixed Order pirate aelfy list" that currently has me deciding between Tenebrael Shard + Sword of Judgment and a second Sorceress, vs a converted Lord-Ordinator (Fleetmaster on a 40mm base with a telescope and measuring implements) and Shadowblade Assassin. Both I think suit the list, but if the Lord-Ordinator won't add the value to the two Ballista I'll take, the Shard and a 2nd Sorceress might give me more mileage/cause less issues with counts-as. 

4 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I've dipped in and out of this thread lots (not a Stormcast player though my son has 2000 pts of them accumulated over box sets etc), but is there a mathematical conclusion/consensus to taking a Lord-Ordinator with only two Ballista?

I played a few games with my boy and the Lord-Ordinator buffs were appreciated. However, I'm making a "mixed Order pirate aelfy list" that currently has me deciding between Tenebrael Shard + Sword of Judgment and a second Sorceress, vs a converted Lord-Ordinator (Fleetmaster on a 40mm base with a telescope and measuring implements) and Shadowblade Assassin. Both I think suit the list, but if the Lord-Ordinator won't add the value to the two Ballista I'll take, the Shard and a 2nd Sorceress might give me more mileage/cause less issues with counts-as. 

I've read countless times on this forum.

3 Ballista > 2 Ballista + Ordinator

4 Ballista ~= 3 Ballista + Ordinator (depending on situation)

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Unless you need to shoot down something like cauldron of blood (in which case you might go 4 ballista in the first place) or some other many-wounded model with hit modifiers you don't take ordinator, also without scions of the storm you may not be in range for multishot first turn so ordinator being pretty much useless for turn one and sub-optimal turn two if opponent does not give you any important units. So no to ordinator it is

Edited by XReN
  • Thanks 1

New to AOS and trying to build a 2k list before buying any models. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Leaders

Lord  Arcanum (General)

Vandus Hammerhand

Gavriel Sureheart

Lord Relictor

Battline

Sequitors (5)

Sequitors (5)

Sequitors (10)

Elite

Evocators (10)

Fulimators (2)

Artillery

Cellestar  Ballista (2)

That list is very low on the model count, you will be on the backfoot in any objective based game. Vandus is considered overpriced by many, you might wanna replace him with, say, a Knight Heraldor (works wonders with Fulminators as they need to charge to do serious damage) and use the remaining points to get some more bodies, more Sequitors or Aetherwings for example. Is the Lord Arcanum on foot? Because i'd highly recommend a gryphcharger if you don't intend to bring endless spells along.

Also note that this list will not make many friends in casual games.

6 hours ago, Lucur said:

That list is very low on the model count, you will be on the backfoot in any objective based game. Vandus is considered overpriced by many, you might wanna replace him with, say, a Knight Heraldor (works wonders with Fulminators as they need to charge to do serious damage) and use the remaining points to get some more bodies, more Sequitors or Aetherwings for example. Is the Lord Arcanum on foot? Because i'd highly recommend a gryphcharger if you don't intend to bring endless spells along.

Also note that this list will not make many friends in casual games.

Thanks for the reply :) 

So this is what you would recommend?

leaders

Lord Arcanium - Gryph Charger

Gavriel

lord Relictor

knight Heraldor 

Battleline

Sequitors (5)

Sequitors (5)

Sequitors (5)

Sequitors (5)

Elite

Evocators (10)

Fulminators (2)

Artillery

Cellestar Ballista (2)

That’s 1860 just with the units, no Spells or Battalions etc. 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, scrubyandwells said:

That's the craziest damn list I've seen in a while. Shaun is a madman.

How well do you think Aetherwings do as screens in general? 

Listen to the show tyler ;),  i cover off mine and Marks match. The list works well in the 7 games i have played with it i have only lost the 1 which was at Masters. No one takes range and every army has critical heroes/monsters that that they need alive  for there army to work.  It does have some poor match ups however and i'm not sure if ill keep the same sort of idea for for my next event CANCON. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:05 AM, XReN said:

Well, he is kinda meh

I see him as objective sitter at best, with staunch defender, ignax's scales and mount trait to reduce multiple damage attacks he is quite tanky
Giving him more attacks and Lightning Hammer to pin enemy heavy hitters as well as taking him as Knights Excelsior general with -3 rend artifact on top might be fun. Also loremaster would synergise with him very well

What have you tried?

I agree I would say  he is kinda meh (something I would say is typical of a lot of  first release stormcast).  Running him as Vindicators has seen more success for me, sometimes with -3 rend artifact etc. I havent tried ignax scales on him but thats probably the final thing I have yet to try. His command ability would be good if you actually had to take battleshock tests regularly. I think he would be a lot better with one more wound and one more attack on his weapon.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, Lucur said:

In smaller games the Celestant on Dracoth is a beast, with shield and cover/staunch defender/castellant lantern he's really hard to shift. Thanks to his move he's not that easy to avoid. But as games grow there are more tools to deal with him, too.

The problem with him imo is the opportunity cost. A Lord Arcanum on Gryph is not quite as tanky and deals not quite as much damage but gets to cast a spell, has cycle of the storm and soulflasks, a ton of mobility in windrunner, and, maybe most importantly, unlocks sequitors as troops. Adding two of those expensive mounted lords hurts the model count of our already elite army. (While i'm saying this i'm toying with a double Arcanum list 😂)

Yeah he is better at smaller games but most games are 2k. You are right there are more tools to deal with him and it's usually a lot of mortal wounds coming his way. 

As stormcast you get one artifact and one only most of the time. So I've always tried to take different artifacts to trigger the thunder hammer but then he gets mortal wounded to death. So I will try ignax scales and barring any good results Im dropping him until his condition changes in points or rules.

13 hours ago, Gibs said:

Thanks for the reply :) 

So this is what you would recommend?

[...]

It comes down to personal preference, i tend to run Sequitors in units of 10 to make the most of buffs like the Lord Arcanum's CA. You could also add some allies (skinks are  cheap mobile bodies) if it suits you. As i stated above i really like aetherwings for fillers, but that's hust me.

I'd like to take a stab at the Dracolines.  Too few bodies?  I'd ditch the Lord Arcanum before the Stardrake.  Would the Ethereal Amulet be better than the Doppelganger Cloak?  I think a top tier artifact is better than the Chamber stuff so I've just stuck with vanilla SCE.

Allegiance: Order
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

27 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Hi, I have quite simple question. Is Aventis Firestrike or Lord Arcanum on goat worth playing, or is buying that model jist wasted money? Thanks :)

Aventis is better IIRC (I don't play Hammers, so can't properly utilise him), but both are solid. Points wise it is a little pricey (expect a drop), but there are no other 2 cast wizards in our list so he has a role. There are better options but it is not a bad choice.