AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

To be fair, how many spells from other faction-specific lores are amazing? We have quite a few good ones in here, the +1 to wound is awesome, Azyrite Halo is definitely gonna get use, I like chain lightning from a flavor perspective, Thundershock is a short range AOE version of the Relictors Lightning Storm, and stormcaller seems unimpressive, but can definitely turn the tide against MSU armies.

Also notable: Lightning blast does not have a range. So turn 1 from ~24" away you do d3 mortal wounds.

Mindrazor is amazing. Most of the Death Debuffs are incredible. Blades of Putrefaction.

Stormcaller is useful, but I think 'turning the tide' is a bit optimistic. It's more about building a small advantage over the course of the game and taking advantage of the extra bit of wiggle room. +1 to wound is definitely solid. Thundershock at 6" is going to be a hard sell on anything without a mount, though it could certainly be very strong on a Tauralon . Azyrite Halo I don't think makes the cut, it's mostly a gimmick spell for doing like a Staunch+Halo+Shield of Thorns "Come at me bro!" Stardrake.

The spells are useful and that's all they really needed to be. In fact, with how little the army has in the way of 'to cast' buffs it's probably good that the spells aren't stronger because we're going to get unbound a lot.

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Eh, if it happens in the opponent's Hero Phase like GMG insinuated, then you just Ride the Winds with an Arcanum on mount and shut down Nagash. Doesn't matter if he dies after, you've stopped them from doing the thing for a whole turn. 

At the cost of feeding him a free 240pt model that was equipped with a relic, and was probably your general, if you're lucky and don't roll a really bad winds run. It's powerful but it seems like it'll be better against dedicated casters like Slann or Arkhan than it will be at trying to stop the super beatsticks like Nagash.

35 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What did changed?

The fulminators breath attack used to be at 6" roll a d3 and then on a 3+ do a mortal wound, but if you were inside 3" it did 2 mortal wounds. The other breath attack is just 4+ do d3 mortal wounds, which is far worse. The old breath did more damage at 6" on average and did almost triple inside 3", which is where you want your dracoths to be anyway.

1 hour ago, Bellfree said:

The fulminators breath attack used to be at 6" roll a d3 and then on a 3+ do a mortal wound, but if you were inside 3" it did 2 mortal wounds. The other breath attack is just 4+ do d3 mortal wounds, which is far worse. The old breath did more damage at 6" on average and did almost triple inside 3", which is where you want your dracoths to be anyway.

So every dracoth haves now the second breath?its not bad. So you can deploy with scions,shoot and then charge.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bellfree said:

That's a fair point, the changes to Scion make the breath much more viable.

I have constantly wished for my Tempestor's to have the 12" breath version, but I never wanted Fulminators to be changed... not sure how I feel about the trade-off. 

Although, that makes the Heraldor > Fulminator retreat-charge a more viable tactic, whereas before you lost too much damage in shooting to be a real benefit. Now it's just a loss of ~1 mortal on average. 

There are quite a few kits in this release and I don't think they've shown us all the models yet on warhammer-community. By my count there are 12 boxes; Soul Wars, 3 small pushfit boxes and 8 multikit boxes:

Soul Wars
- Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
- Knight Incantor (female)
- 5x Castigators
- 1x Celestar Ballista
- 3x Evocators
- 8x Sequitors

3x Castigors (+ Gryph Hound)
3x Sequitors
1x Celestar Ballista

5x Castigators
5x Evocators
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline / Asteria
Lord Arcanum on Tauralon / Aventis
3x Evocators on Dracolines
Lord Exorcist
Lord Ordinator
10 x Sequitors

And no word if the Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger and the female Knight Incantor will be available seperately.

Then there are the three models they haven't previewed yet:

Knight Incantor (male)
179817978_KnightIncantor2.jpg.9ca1e91694c05592de1c499a941c2d18.jpg

Lord Arcanum on foot
809990572_LordArcanum.jpg.40239bb066224280dadb7153d8ede379.jpg

Sequitor Hero with sword and shield
Sacrosanct.jpg.b612d25632ec8e5e7afabdaf5fd5009f.jpg

Am I missing any?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

There are quite a few kits in this release and I don't think they've shown us all the models yet on warhammer-community. By my count there are 12 boxes; Soul Wars, 3 small pushfit boxes and 8 multikit boxes:

Soul Wars
- Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
- Knight Incantor (female)
- 5x Castigators
- 1x Celestar Ballista
- 3x Evocators
- 8x Sequitors

3x Castigors (+ Gryph Hound)
3x Sequitors
1x Celestar Ballista

5x Castigators
5x Evocators
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline / Asteria
Lord Arcanum on Tauralon / Aventis
3x Evocators on Dracolines
Lord Exorcist
Lord Ordinator
10 x Sequitors

And no word if the Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger and the female Knight Incantor will be available seperately.

Knight Incantor (male)

Lord Arcanum on foot

Am I missing any?

In fact, I think you got one dubious kit here. 

5x Castigators? That's not even a matched legal unit. They would release a 6x multipart kit. But with no options on the warscroll, why would they? Plus, has there be any hints of Castigators besides the SW and easy to build models?

4 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

In fact, I think you got one dubious kit here. 

5x Castigators? That's not even a matched legal unit. They would release a 6x multipart kit. But with no options on the warscroll, why would they? Plus, has there be any hints of Castigators besides the SW and easy to build models?

You are right. That's a duplicate from the Soul Wars list. And according to the podcast the Asteria kit is a pushfit so it will be interesting to see if there will be separate kits for her and Lord Arcanum on Dracoline as well.

1 hour ago, Memnoch said:

[Things that I'm not talking about]

Am I missing any?

On the new battletome this sequitor is labeled as "Hallowed Knights Sequitors conversion" and he is in the section that showcases the 'eavy metal team's work. With a fast research I've found that the sword comes with the "Lord-Celestant on Stardrake" kit, it should be a Starbound Blade.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

On the new battletome this sequitor is labeled as "Hallowed Knights Sequitors conversion" and he is in the section that showcases the 'eavy metal team's work. With a fast research I've found that the sword comes with the "Lord-Celestant on Stardrake" kit, it should be a Starbound Blade.

Damn shame. I was hoping for an additional hero. Looks really good.

Hey all, a small question regarding the news flood of last week: was there any reference or anything that someone might heard regarding the SCE Lord Commander? Is it still a thing (ie mentioned in the new book) or did they drop the concept all together?

1 hour ago, Memnoch said:

Damn shame. I was hoping for an additional hero. Looks really good.

Should be a generic Knight Zephyros too, but it doesn't seem to be in any of the battletome reviews I've seen or model hints. Just a listing in the GHB.

Stormcast bro's I have a question. I have 10 liberators on sprue. I have 20 already built and painted with hammers and shields. What should I do with the remaining 10? Dual weapons or also make them hammers and shields so I can field a unit of 30 liberators?

6 hours ago, Memnoch said:

Knight Incantor (male)

Lord Arcanum on foot

Am I missing any?

Actually they did show off those two models yesterday in the pre order trailer for the battletome on YouTube. As well as the Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline kit

• Like 1

I played my first V2 game with the golden boys yesterday.  Beat a seraphon player in one of the two matched pay scenarios in the malign sorcery book.  

We went whole hog and played with realm rules and everything. Only new models I had a chance to build before hand were Incantor and Arcanum.  I really enjoyed playing with the realm rules.  We were in Shyish so we had a command ability that let or heroes drain wounds from nearby friendly units to heal.  I used it to keep my Incantor alive and scoring VPs.  Used her Voidstorm scroll to block a critical cast of Purple Sun that would have devastated my LCoD and LAoGC that were holding the other objective.

Lots of fun overall.  I'll have to play some more with them, but the realm rules didn't seem to have an imbalancing effect on that game.  Shyish does have some of the less extreme rules though, so maybe something like Ghur would be more of a balance issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bozly said:

So i just bought in with two soul wars boxes i have a few liberators ive been using in my mixed order list. Is there any staples of the army i should pick up for this new edition?

I'd wait until next Saturday when the battletome drops.  Sounds like there have been substantial warscroll changes, enough that it would make recommendations difficult.

You can also just follow the rule of cool.  I plan on getting the evocators on dracolines whether their rules are good or not because I really like the sculpts.  

1 minute ago, Richelieu said:

I'd wait until next Saturday when the battletome drops.  Sounds like there have been substantial warscroll changes, enough that it would make recommendations difficult.

You can also just follow the rule of cool.  I plan on getting the evocators on dracolines whether their rules are good or not because I really like the sculpts.  

They are dope ill be honest thats kinda why i want to stick to sacrosanct. I want a mostly caster army and the robes remind of black templars/dark angels but way cooler. 

2 minutes ago, Bozly said:

They are dope ill be honest thats kinda why i want to stick to sacrosanct. I want a mostly caster army and the robes remind of black templars/dark angels but way cooler. 

I've been trying to think of a color scheme that is befitting their arcane nature.  My current models are classic hammers of sigmar blue and gold, but Dark Angels green, black and cream sounds like it would work well.  Good thing there's odd numbers of models in the starter box so I've got some test models.

5 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I've been trying to think of a color scheme that is befitting their arcane nature.  My current models are classic hammers of sigmar blue and gold, but Dark Angels green, black and cream sounds like it would work well.  Good thing there's odd numbers of models in the starter box so I've got some test models.

That could be really cool. I was thinking with the paints i have almost doing a minotaurs paint scheme. Brass armor red accessories with black and off white accents it looks good in the few marines that i painted and are now collecting dust from a project never finished. That or doing the black templars scheme. If you base in eshin gray drybrush dawnstone and double coat in nulin oil it turns out really clean with a matt or satin varnish then you can quarter the shields in white and red. 

But i swear ive seen an army that does steel with green accents and you could do a white shield or a quartered white shield with green. Green and white always look good  

That or go classico hammers which is probably what ill end up doing if i dont hammer down an idea.