AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I think if I was going to do Dracolines, I'd go big - unit of 9 with Arcanum on Dracoline, Castellant and Heraldor to buff and just run at the enemy screaming for a T1 charge!

EDIT 

Something like this

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
9 x Evocators on Dracolines (900)
- 6x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Add artefact of choice.

Edited by AdamR

14 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I think if I was going to do Dracolines, I'd go big - unit of 9 with Arcanum on Dracoline, Castellant and Heraldor to buff and just run at the enemy screaming for a T1 charge!

EDIT 

Something like this

Leaders
- General
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 6x Grandstaves

Add artefact of choice.

With a footprint that large your opponent would have to do something seriously weird to let them all, or even a majority, get into combat with something that would make sens. And you're paying 500 more points for less Grand Staves and MW's to get involved than 10 Evocators who with Scions are already pretty mobile and can easily be buffed to become more so.

16 minutes ago, Nos said:

With a footprint that large your opponent would have to do something seriously weird to let them all, or even a majority, get into combat with something that would make sens. And you're paying 500 more points for less Grand Staves and MW's to get involved than 10 Evocators who with Scions are already pretty mobile and can easily be buffed to become more so.

If you look back a page you'll see my actual list, which does in fact feature 10 Evocators...

This is purely hypothetical.

But I disagree about not getting everything in. Hordes are popular, big monsters are popular. I bet your one of those players that says 20 sequitors can't fight too aintcha! :p 

I think 9 is overkill on multiple levels, 6 or 3 should be good though. Evocators in general are good at getting in between multiple units, especially a unit and their support hero, slaughter the unit with attacks, zap the character with mortal wounds. The dracolines make this even more worthwhile with -1 bravery (add terrifying aspect) and a LA who can pop flasks for extra mw, in a 3" radius. If you want a big unit for pure damage, go Evocators on foot, the Dracoline's role in my mind is to punish cuddly lord combos.

Sidenote: The Dracolines are more likely to benefit from healing by Castellant and LAGC, as well as being cycled back to life due to larger amount of wounds.

Edited by Lucur

14 minutes ago, AdamR said:

EDIT 

Something like this

Leaders
- General
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 6x Grandstaves

Add artefact of choice.

3 hours ago, RocketMan said:

i'm trying to build a 1750 pts list with drake+castellan+heraldor ...i'm not sure if is better to add arcanum to get sequitors bl or going with a normal mage, 3x5 libs and put some dracolines ... 
1750 no realms:
Arcanum on gryffcharger General stanuch def

stardrake

heraldor

castellan

10 sequitor

2x5 libs

310pts left

dracoline? to put some more pressions? maybe in the sky realms... or 3 ballista ? i know without the ordinator they are worst at 5+ . or i can go up to 20 sequitors but then i'll have spare 150 pts to do what ?just one ballista won't make any sense :D

no other suggestions?

6 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

no other suggestions?

Ballista is good stuff, choose rapid shooting if in range even if they are 5+ to hit, they do more damage in average than the single shoot through math calculation. You can try to bring 3 and use the points left to bring something like a unit of skinks to help capture points or preventing DS.  Just personal suggestion from a new SCE.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

14 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

no other suggestions?

How about

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells
Dais Arcanum (40)

Total: 1740 / 1750
Wounds: 102

Edited by AdamR
swapped a spell!

8 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Ballista is good stuff, choose rapid shooting if in range even if they are 5+ to hit, they do more damage in average than the single shoot through math calculation. You can try to bring 3 and use the points left to bring something like a unit of skinks to help capture points or preventing DS.  Just personal suggestion from a new SCE.

i just own sce!3 ballista are already 300pts, no space for other

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

If you look back a page you'll see my actual list, which does in fact feature 10 Evocators...

This is purely hypothetical.

But I disagree about not getting everything in. Hordes are popular, big monsters are popular. I bet your one of those players that says 20 sequitors can't fight too aintcha! 😛 

I was responding to the list I was quoting weirdly enough aye. Hordes don't tend to cost half an army in points values and can be buffed with summons as well so it's not really an equivalent comparison.  Hordes also tend get a per model buff that Evocators don't so don't not require you to ring all of them to bear, they are  made better by virtue of just being in the company of their pals. Again, not a buff that Dracoline riders get.

I mean I'm sure you can play games with a 20 strong footprint of 40mm bases that is effective in combat but I can't see how you'd do it on a battlefield with an interesting terrain layout, that's some big open spaces you're using!

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips on my list @AdamR and @Nos.  Don't I need 3 Battleline at 2k points though?  That's why I went with 10 man units of Sequitors and the Libs.  I guess if I did the Sequitors as a single unit of 20 and the Libs as 2 units of 5 that would make sense to save the points.  Adding the Lord Castellant seems like a good idea considering I would be running two huge blobs that could benefit from the lantern.

Think I might try the Tempest Lords rules too:

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-charger: 0. Bonds of Noble Duty, 0. Patrician's Helm, General

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Sequitors: 4x 5 Sequitors, 8x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Other +

Evocators: 3x 5 Evocators, 6x Grandstave, 9x Tempest Blade and Stormstave

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals: Tempest Lords

2 minutes ago, AdamR said:

How about

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells
Dais Arcanum (40)

Total: 1740 / 1750
Wounds: 102

can't have ignax's scale on drake cause we play w/out realm... i don't know, i really like the new battlelines... 10 evocators are big though...

I find that 10 Evocators and a Celestant on Drake combine really well - it's two horrendous things your opponent has to deal with leading to either one or the other being unmolested, or they split their attentions and don't do much to either.

EDIT - if no realm artifacts, I'd probably go either Armour of Destiny or Armour of Silvered Sigmarite instead. Probably Destiny, as vs hordes you kinda want to be hit with the azyrite halo and thundershield combo.

Edited by AdamR

17 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

i just own sce!3 ballista are already 300pts, no space for other

For your list, you want to bring the lord celestant on stardrake? Otherwise it is 240(LAGC)+460(stardrake)+100(heraldor)+100(castllant)+120*2(10 seq)+100*2(10 lib)=1340, you still have 410 points left, good for 3 ballista, 1 unit of skink and 1 extra CP. For me, I won't spend 100 points just for the sigmarite shield.

27 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I find that 10 Evocators and a Celestant on Drake combine really well - it's two horrendous things your opponent has to deal with leading to either one or the other being unmolested, or they split their attentions and don't do much to either.

EDIT - if no realm artifacts, I'd probably go either Armour of Destiny or Armour of Silvered Sigmarite instead. Probably Destiny, as vs hordes you kinda want to be hit with the azyrite halo and thundershield combo.

or i can drop on disc and libs, doing 3x5 to add a second incantor. what do u think? too much magic? 

3 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

or i can drop on disc and libs, doing 3x5 to add a second incantor. what do u think? too much magic? 

Depends what you're fighting. Dais gives you a second unbind + 2+ armour + flying, so it's pretty good on an incantor.

10 libs should be able to lock down an objective more securely.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

i think there are lot of other ways to play competitive! not only with gavriel

QFT!