AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Thinking about taking this to last league game.

Hows it look?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Ear-bursting Roar
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
- Spell: Stormcaller
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Divine Light

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

• Like 1

Is this ok for baby’s first SCE list? Just to use models I love the look of, and I already have some of the heroes due to having assembled them when I got the first starter box for the Khorne half back in AoS 1. Everyone’s explained how Retributors aren’t good and stuff but they look sweet and I’m not a tournament player. Is this ok for casual GW shop pick up games? 

TBH I heard it on legends of the painty men and I liked it purely because it used all the models with my favorite aesthetic and seemed competent. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due I didn’t make up this list but I wondered if it was a good list to buy towards since I only have 2 heroes so far. 

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Staunch Defender  
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield  

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Retributors (220)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

Edited by Ravinsild

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Thinking about taking this to last league game.

Hows it look?

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Ear-bursting Roar
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
- Spell: Stormcaller
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

I don’t know about the comet :( maybe a knight azyros for rerols ?

32 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Is this ok for baby’s first SCE list? Just to use models I love the look of, and I already have some of the heroes due to having assembled them when I got the first starter box for the Khorne half back in AoS 1. Everyone’s explained how Retributors aren’t good and stuff but they look sweet and I’m not a tournament player. Is this ok for casual GW shop pick up games? 

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Retributors (220)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 63

Lord relictor- translocation and divine light are more useful imo.

lord celestant dracoth- storm caller is much more useful in small games

A piece of advice based on personal experience: in small point games, find the extra points for vandus hammerhand instead of the normal lord celestant. He’s a miniature wrecking ball in smaller games, and his command ability is far more useful on the retributors.

Break up the liberators into 2 squads.

ran a list almost identical to this in my early days. Scions the celestant, judicators, and a unit of liberators. Start the retributors on the board with the relictor and lord castellant behind them and buffing them. Put the libs in front of them.  This sets up a nice hard hitting counter charge, and 3+ saves makes sure they last long enough to do some decent damage.

Good luck!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Lord relictor- translocation and divine light are more useful imo.

lord celestant dracoth- storm caller is much more useful in small games

A piece of advice based on personal experience: in small point games, find the extra points for vandus hammerhand instead of the normal lord celestant. He’s a miniature wrecking ball in smaller games, and his command ability is far more useful on the retributors.

Break up the liberators into 2 squads.

ran a list almost identical to this in my early days. Scions the celestant, judicators, and a unit of liberators. Start the retributors on the board with the relictor and lord castellant behind them and buffing them. Put the libs in front of them.  This sets up a nice hard hitting counter charge, and 3+ saves makes sure they last long enough to do some decent damage.

Good luck!

Like this? 

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Thunder Caller
Lord-Relictor (100)
- General

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Total: 960 / 1000
Wounds: 57

I can’t find a way to put 40 points in my list :/ but this is the list based on your suggestions.

whats Scions the Celestant mean? Also I can’t fit Vandus and a Castellant. 

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

Like this? 

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Thunder Caller
Lord-Relictor (100)
- General

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Total: 960 / 1000
Wounds: 57

I can’t find a way to put 40 points in my list :/ but this is the list based on your suggestions.

whats Scions the Celestant mean? Also I can’t fit Vandus and a Castellant. 

Looks good try that out see how it does. Use the hammers of Sigmar stormhost, make vandus your general, give the god forged blade to the lord relictor.

Play around with taking the castellated instead of the relictor. Just try both and see which you like.

Your can swap out a unit of sequitors for liberators to spend some of the leftover points, and they are a really good unit. They have a bigger punch than the liberators.

scions is an allegiance ability of sce. For every unit placed on the board during setup, you can place a unit in the heavens, awaiting the time to appear in a lightning storm. You’ll have to play around with which ones you want to start on the board and which ones in the sky.

4 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Your can swap out a unit of sequitors for liberators to spend some of the leftover points, and they are a really good unit. They have a bigger punch than the liberators.

Wouldn't you need lord arcanum as the general for this? 

1 hour ago, Kaleydoscope said:

I know but he does not need to be your general for that, so he can use the lord-relictor. 

I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep missing this. I guess it's because it used to work differently.

You will however need to be Hammers of Sigmar, I believe, which will dictate the command ability and relic (weapon) that the Relictor has to take.

• Thanks 1

I'm off to an event with more of a narrative focus, so while I'm not looking to wreck face, I want to put up a decent show. I've put together this list. Any suggestions?

1000 point Stormcast List

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline [240pts]: General

Lord-Castellant [100pts]

Liberators [100pts]: 5 Liberators, Grandblade, Warhammer and Shield

Sequitors [240pts]: 10 Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Castigators [80pts]: 3 Castigators

Evocators [200pts]: 5 Evocators, 5x Tempest Blade and Stormstave

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

50 minutes ago, AxolotlQuestions said:

I'm off to an event with more of a narrative focus, so while I'm not looking to wreck face, I want to put up a decent show. I've put together this list. Any suggestions?

1000 point Stormcast List

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline [240pts]: General

Lord-Castellant [100pts]

Liberators [100pts]: 5 Liberators, Grandblade, Warhammer and Shield

Sequitors [240pts]: 10 Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Castigators [80pts]: 3 Castigators

Evocators [200pts]: 5 Evocators, 5x Tempest Blade and Stormstave

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

that's a good list, but the lord arcanum on celestial dracoline really need a unit of evocators on dracoline to be useful

You could easily swap him for a lord arcanum on gryph charger,

Or tale astreia solbright, which is a lord arcanum on dracoline, which has the command ability of the lord arcanum on gryph charger, and will work better with the rest of the army.

And she is 20 pts cheaper, so if you take her as a general and play Hammer of Sigmar, you'll even have enough pts to kick out the liberators for a unit of sequitors. You will loose the 6+ invu or the staunch defenders, but hey, we can't have everything !

this will make your list slightly better in my eyes, without changing it too much

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Williams said:

I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep missing this. I guess it's because it used to work differently.

You will however need to be Hammers of Sigmar, I believe, which will dictate the command ability and relic (weapon) that the Relictor has to take.

So basically anyone can use Command ABILITIES so long as you’ve got the command POINTS to use them. 

Command TRAITS are the passive benefits your general gains that give usually an aura of something, or an extra attack, or a re-roll commonly. 

Back in AoS 1 your general was the only character, barring special exceptions, that could use a command ABILITY. 

So you were right. 

List #1 gives me free form to pick my own Command TRAIT for my general and my choice of 1 free artifact. 

List #2 requires me to be Hammers of Sigmar chamber (to use Vandus Hammerhand as I understand it because he’s not generic) and therefore locks me into a very specific command TRAIT as well as artifact. 

At the end of the day since it’s all the same modes anyway I’ll try both because they both seem fun. 

Except I have no idea how to win..... any games ever. 

Any games where the objectives are middle of the map (example being Battle for the Pass or Shifting Objectives) I for sure won’t beat my opponent there cuz I’m slow and I for sure won’t have more people than them unless I group every single dude onto 1 point. 

I mean most Chaos bros I fight bring 40 Bloodreavers/STD Marauders and that’s more models than my whole army plus whatever else they’ve got. 

How do I grab objectives with so few boys? 

4 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

So basically anyone can use Command ABILITIES so long as you’ve got the command POINTS to use them. 

Command TRAITS are the passive benefits your general gains that give usually an aura of something, or an extra attack, or a re-roll commonly. 

Back in AoS 1 your general was the only character, barring special exceptions, that could use a command ABILITY. 

So you were right. 

List #1 gives me free form to pick my own Command TRAIT for my general and my choice of 1 free artifact. 

List #2 requires me to be Hammers of Sigmar chamber (to use Vandus Hammerhand as I understand it because he’s not generic) and therefore locks me into a very specific command TRAIT as well as artifact. 

At the end of the day since it’s all the same modes anyway I’ll try both because they both seem fun. 

Any games where the objectives are middle of the map (example being Battle for the Pass or Shifting Objectives) I for sure won’t beat my opponent there cuz I’m slow and I for sure won’t have more people than them unless I group every single dude onto 1 point. 

I mean most Chaos bros I fight bring 40 Bloodreavers/STD Marauders and that’s more models than my whole army plus whatever else they’ve got. 

My personal experience is that you just have to kill them. Between Vandus and the retributors, you should have the damage output, but if they get the drop on you, you won't be able to. Just remember to keep the liberators out front, and force them to charge/engage them first. Try to set up a counter charge so that you can get a clean charge off. That will help a lot.

8 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

So you were right. 

Ignore this Vandus nonsence. This list will be stomped by practicaly anything, no extra CP to stack Vandus CA, no Save buffs, only 2 heroes with 3+ save. There is not that many missions where you will get the chance to counter charge objective wise, usually it will be mid table fight over objectives and you are not winning those with 4+ saves. If you are willing to give up staunch defender - just go celestial vindicators, same +1 attack, just unstackable, but gives you rerolls on the charge, better trait and weapon (then HoS)
And you really should not consider bringing dracoth lords on this point format, except if you know that you will have to fight for the objective with him, therefore you MUST have staunch defender and some protective item.

This is my 1k list changed to field retributors
Will work with Celestial Vindicators as well, I have never felt lacking instruments to win with this type of list
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Artefact: Obsidian Amulet 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
5 x Retributors (220)

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 67

50 minutes ago, XReN said:

Ignore this Vandus nonsence. This list will be stomped by practicaly anything, no extra CP to stack Vandus CA, no Save buffs, only 2 heroes with 3+ save. There is not that many missions where you will get the chance to counter charge objective wise, usually it will be mid table fight over objectives and you are not winning those with 4+ saves. If you are willing to give up staunch defender - just go celestial vindicators, same +1 attack, just unstackable, but gives you rerolls on the charge, better trait and weapon (then HoS)
And you really should not consider bringing dracoth lords on this point format, except if you know that you will have to fight for the objective with him, therefore you MUST have staunch defender and some protective item.

This is my 1k list changed to field retributors
Will work with Celestial Vindicators as well, I have never felt lacking instruments to win with this type of list
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Artefact: Obsidian Amulet 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
5 x Retributors (220)

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 67

Well what’s the issue with a Lord Celestant on Dracoth? Just curious. 

Also what’s the issue with Vandus and why would I lose more often than not as opposed to this list? What’s the big difference maker? 

I don’t know anything about Stormcast but I like your list because it runs all the models I like (Prosecutors, Retributors, Judicators, Liberators etc...) 

32 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Also what’s the issue with Vandus and why would I lose more often than not as opposed to this list? What’s the big difference maker? 

I don’t know anything about Stormcast but I like your list because it runs all the models I like (Prosecutors, Retributors, Judicators, Liberators etc...) 

The celestant on dracoth is a 220 pts guy with 7 wounds.

His 3+ rr 1, with staunch defender, can make him absolutely unkillable if the opponent don't have any mortal wound or rend-2, but as soon as something like this appear, he die in one second.

Vandus is even worse, not having the shield giving rr1. 7 wounds and 3+ save for the points of a bloodthirster is... ouch

25 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Dracoth is too expensive for 1k points and too easy to kill right away, whille not contributing to your army anything exept his fighting power which is mediocre. 
Vandus - same deal, can be usefull even without going into the fight, but cost more and dies faster, whille also forcing you to get really under performing trait and artefact and that 1 attack buff can be taken from other source.
Difference is that even with Vandus attack buffs you will not survive the grind against a propper hoard army, whille being absolutely defenceless against any type of behemots (like zombie dragons) which are faster then you and hit like a train. You really want at least castellant in your list

You guys have very clearly and accurately stated the weaknesses of vandus and/or dracoths, but I don’t see how the proposed list fixes those issues. Vandus at least has a decent command ability and damage output, and good movement. If your opponent can “easily” take him out, there’s nothing about the suggested list that fixes that problem or gives you a better chance against it. Retributors are sitting ducks and the only actual dangerous thing in the list. By removing vandus you’re reducing the number of units your opponent needs to eliminate in order to steam roll you unopposed.

I understand what you guys are saying, I just don’t agree that there’s a reliable fix for it by removing him and taking more easily-killed normal guys. I think you’re implying that having more bodies on the table will somehow win by stalling or outmanoeuvring an opponent, but if you’re opponent can “easily” kill vandus, removing the only other thing from your army that can potentially deal with that seems like a bad plan to me.

I would urge you to try both lists at the very least. I’m willing to say I’m wrong, but I’m just telling you what I think based on playing with a similar list for quite a while.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, XReN said:

Dracoth is too expensive for 1k points and too easy to kill right away, whille not contributing to your army anything exept his fighting power which is mediocre. 
Vandus - same deal, can be usefull even without going into the fight, but cost more and dies faster, whille also forcing you to get really under performing trait and artefact and that 1 attack buff can be taken from other source.
Difference is that even with Vandus attack buffs you will not survive the grind against a propper hoard army, whille being absolutely defenceless against any type of behemots (like zombie dragons) which are faster then you and hit like a train. You really want at least castellant in your list

LCoD and Vandus are not bad for 1k points - you either have not played them well or are exaggerating to a pretty extreme degree. As for as having "mediocre fighting power", Vandus charge can 1-shot most anything you are going to see at 1k. Yes they are weak to mortals - obviously they are, they're bloody Stormcast. Is this a tournament-winning killer list? No idea, balancing is hard at 1k (especially for elite armies), but this will do fine in the vast majority of 1k games. 

Everything else Mark pretty much nailed. 

• Like 3