AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 minutes ago, AdamR said:

That list comes to 1920 with no battleline!

Unless you meany Mystic Shield not cogs (as per the effect), but even then it's 1860.

No, I mean cogs.

The 2k list Ive been using is this:

LADrac
6x Dracolines
Castellant
LAGC
Azyros
2x5 Liberator
1x5 Judicator
3x Ballista
Cogs
2000/2000

It doesnt have the Ordinator or a 4th ballista that I mentioned earlier.

Edited by PJetski

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

No, I mean cogs.

The 2k list Ive been using is this:

LADrac
6x Dracolines
Castellant
LAGC
Azyros
2x5 Liberator
1x5 Judicator
3x Ballista
Cogs
2000/2000

It doesnt have the Ordinator or a 4th ballista that I mentioned earlier.

How reliable do you find the Ballistas? Do you mainly use them as backfield long range or do you play aggressively and rapid fire them? 

I generally don't rate them without an Ordinator but lately I've been thinking of dropping him for points. 

Has anyone tried a 2.0 SCE gunline with a Celestial Hurricanum at it's core? LO + CH will make 4 ballistas pretty devastating, but at a high cost. Throw in Judicators, Hurricane Raptor, and maybe even (dare I say it) gryphhounds for cheap blockers with Warning Cry? It's likely too expensive to really perform well, but I'm curious if anyone has gone all-out shooting in a meta that doesn't seem to favor it. If the cap on artillery were higher than 4, I would probably proxy a Hurricanum and try it myself...

7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Has anyone tried a 2.0 SCE gunline with a Celestial Hurricanum at it's core? LO + CH will make 4 ballistas pretty devastating, but at a high cost. Throw in Judicators, Hurricane Raptor, and maybe even (dare I say it) gryphhounds for cheap blockers with Warning Cry? It's likely too expensive to really perform well, but I'm curious if anyone has gone all-out shooting in a meta that doesn't seem to favor it. If the cap on artillery were higher than 4, I would probably proxy a Hurricanum and try it myself...

Not sure. I think gunline lists work best when you have things that are high rate of fire that you can buff into being reliable, like with Kunnin Rukk or Freeguild. Since most of our guns are low rate of fire but medium to high reliability, it's not really the same. You can make Longstrikes or Bow Judis more reliable, but they still won't get a game-ending amount of shooting out. 

That was the power of Aetherstrike, getting a reliably powerful shooting unit to fire 2-3 times per turn was no joke. Anvils can sorta do it, but with the CP system, it's not as much as before, and lacks the retaliation threat that Aetherstrike leaned on.

To go a traditional gunline with weight of fire, you'd need max Ballistas and multiple Judi/Hurricane Raptor units, which is not only expensive, but also fairly short ranged. I think it could work, but it would take a lot of testing and tweaking to find the perfect balance of shots, bodies, and buffs. Additionally, we don't really have a way to make Wounds more reliable from shooting - from what I can tell, the only thing that buffs Wound rolls from a range is Evocator Empower spell on Ballistas or Castigators, which you wouldn't do probably because of the cost of Evos and how expensive the list already is.

I think once the upcoming tournament is over and I get more time to practice test lists, I'll try this out some.

• Like 2

I really like the hurricanum model and have been wondering about this same kind of thing.

Hurricanum+4x ballistas +Ordinator is 900 pts.

I was thinking finishing it out with a knight-azygos, Lord castellant, Lord arcanum on something and some sequitors and judicatorss for battleline. Or drop the arcanum, change the sequitors for liberators and add 1 thing of your choice. 

I think with this approach you have to deepstrike the ballistas since you really want them in rapid fire range. The +2 to hit is wasted on the ling range shots. T1 you advance the hurricanum up the field as far as you can and  drop the ballistas in around it. Seems worth considering but Ironically loses hard to other gunlines that get the first turn on you aan shoot down your hurricanum easily on turn 1. It seems pretty fragile with only as much defence as 5 liberators for 4 times the points

41 minutes ago, LordCelestant Imperius 1st said:

Hi there.

Why not take two helstorm rocket batteries instead of the hurricanum. You loose all idea of scions on the ballistars and so on but THIS is a gunline army =). I'll test it very soon also.

The Hurricanum buffing all shooting is sort of the point - otherwise yes you can just stack ranged units and call it a day. Not to mention the Hellstorms (to my knowledge) would use up artillery slots that are fully maxed out with ballistas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LordCelestant Imperius 1st said:

Hi there.

Why not take two helstorm rocket batteries instead of the hurricanum. You loose all idea of scions on the ballistars and so on but THIS is a gunline army =). I'll test it very soon also.

Because you can only get 4 artillery pieces at 2k? Or are you taking less ballistars?

Edited by azdimy

5 hours ago, azdimy said:

Because you can only get 4 artillery pieces at 2k? Or are you taking less ballistars?

Yeah of course, you have two less ballistars. But losing the scions, this is still hard artillery with a niiiiice range .  Hurricanum is cool, but with sce shooty lines, it is not that efficient to me because either you cannot scion, or you have a higher risk of getting the hurricanum wrecked quickly. And if you take longstrike, they dont need the hurricanum (mw on an unmodified 6 ). With an army that gets most of the to hit at 3+, i think you are in a better place with an azyros! But well that's my point of view. In the end have fun. I have the hurricanum also but play it mostly in order lists.

3 hours ago, Namelessone81 said:

Fellow Eternals ! 

I was wondering if anyone has seen any successes with the “grand convocation” battalion or a magic - endless spell combo army ? 

I am experimenting with an magic based army at the moment and would like to hear what everyone else did ;) 

I got an idea for a really stupid list (it won't win any tournament), but if you want to play some endless spells you may like it.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)

This is the main core,  with the Lord-Arcanum all you have to do is to cast the Purple Sun of Shysh and then spam his command ability to add Xd6" to the move of the Sun to plant it right in the middle of the enemy forces. To help with the +d6" move to an endless  spell I think that the Tempest Lords Stormhost does a good job, as it  gives 1 CP on a 4+ at the start of the round and 1 CP on a 5+ every time you use one. The Balewind Vortex is used to an extra cast and to add more survivability to the  Lord-Arcanum (it adds +1 to the save), but you may prefer the Chronomantic Cogs for a little versatility.

From there you may whant to add some other units or battallions depending on the point level that you're planning to play.

At 1000 I would do something like:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 46

Here I added another wizard as a backup, in case the Lord-Arcanum dies. The Soulsnare Shackles are there to slow down enemy units so that they remain in the Sun's range. Quicksilver Sword are just a "filler" because I'm not going to leave 20 points empty.

And at 2000 I think something like this would be fun to play:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 72

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Exorcist (140)
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Everblaze Comet (100)

2k list lacks 3rd battleline 

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

I got an idea for a really stupid list (it won't win any tournament), but if you want to play some endless spells you may like it.

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

This is the main core,  with the Lord-Arcanum all you have to do is to cast the Purple Sun of Shysh and then spam his command ability to add Xd6" to the move of the Sun to plant it right in the middle of the enemy forces. To help with the +d6" move to an endless  spell I think that the Tempest Lords Stormhost does a good job, as it  gives 1 CP on a 4+ at the start of the round and 1 CP on a 5+ every time you use one. The Balewind Vortex is used to an extra cast and to add more survivability to the  Lord-Arcanum (it adds +1 to the save), but you may prefer the Chronomantic Cogs for a little versatility.

From there you may whant to add some other units or battallions depending on the point level that you're planning to play.

At 1000 I would do something like:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 46

Here I added another wizard as a backup, in case the Lord-Arcanum dies. The Soulsnare Shackles are there to slow down enemy units so that they remain in the Sun's range. Quicksilver Sword are just a "filler" because I'm not going to leave 20 points empty.

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Exorcist (140)
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Everblaze Comet (100)

yeah thats the consept :)

my list is a little stronger with units :

LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum (180) - General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender  - Artefact :  Armor of Silvered Sigmarite  - Spell : Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (140) - Spell : Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140) - Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Staff of Focus - Spell : Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140) - Spell : Celestial Blades
UNITS
20 x Sequitors (400) -Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120) -Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
10 x Evocators (400) - 5 x  Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
BATTALIONS
Grand Convocation (130)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Everblaze Comet (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
TOTAL: 1990/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 111
LEADERS: 4/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 0/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 0/400

1 hour ago, XReN said:

2k list lacks 3rd battleline 

Oh, yeah, my bad, I've never played at more than 1000 points and I forgot the third battleline.

1 hour ago, Namelessone81 said:

yeah thats the consept :)

my list is a little stronger with units :

LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum (180) - General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender  - Artefact :  Armor of Silvered Sigmarite  - Spell : Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (140) - Spell : Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140) - Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Staff of Focus - Spell : Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140) - Spell : Celestial Blades
UNITS
20 x Sequitors (400) -Tempest Blades and Soulshields
10 x Evocators (400) - 5 x  Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
BATTALIONS
Grand Convocation (130)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Everblaze Comet (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
TOTAL: 1990/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 111
LEADERS: 4/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 0/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 0/400

This looks more solid, my list is more aimed at super-casual games.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Hot question for you guys. If there was no way to take Sequitors as battleline, how often would you run them provided their cost remain at their  current level and how many would you take?

My current army cannot take them as battle line, and I have 1 squad of them in my list, so the answer is 1. They serve the same function as liberators in my army - they are just a "shell" to protect the center of my army. I don't expect them to do anything more than that. I'm only taking them because I have 20 points left over and nothing to spend it on.

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Hot question for you guys. If there was no way to take Sequitors as battleline, how often would you run them provided their cost remain at their  current level and how many would you take?

If you can't bring them as battleline then they're not worth bringing in my opinion.

Same goes for Judicators.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

If you can't bring them as battleline then they're not worth bringing in my opinion.

Same goes for Judicators.

Interesting, this is sort of what I was getting at by asking the question. They are such a strong battleline buy they aren't good enough to really be one of our elite picks are they. 

38 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Interesting, this is sort of what I was getting at by asking the question. They are such a strong battleline buy they aren't good enough to really be one of our elite picks are they. 

For the price of 20 you can get 10 Evos who are better in every way except defensively. We're an elite army, so an elite unit that's worse than all other elite units is either Battleline or benched. Just like Decimators, Desolators, etc. 

• Like 3

In regards to battle line, I’m actually on the fence about crossbow judicators as compared to crossbow vanguard, in terms of which unit is better and more elite. Lately I’ve been thinking the juds are actually slightly better due to the special weapon and better hit stats. Basically I’m not sure there’s a better “elite” option in that battlefield role, and I can conceive of actually taking more of them in place of alternative units.

As for liberators and sequitors, I agree that their main purpose is to die, and taking any more than the minimum you need to protect your troops is probably detrimental to your army’s effectiveness. But they serve a purpose nonetheless, and I have difficulty building a strategy that doesn’t involve them.

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Black Blade said:

If I had 40 to 60 spare points I might take them over building up liberator unit

• Like 1

Brewing up my first Aos Army. Have this so far and looking for advice. I don't want to play in tournaments yet but I also don't want to get owned on the reg so...:

Order/SCE/Hammers of Sigmar

Battalions
Grand Convocation
Cleansing Phalanx

Leaders
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger with Staff of Focus, We Cannot Fail, Chain Lightning, and Aetheral Stalker
Knight Incantor with Mindlock Staff and Starfall
Knight Incantor with Lightning Blast
Lord Exorcist with God-forged Blade and Stormcaller

Battleslines
10 Sequitors
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

Other
5 Evocators
3 Evocators on Dracolines

Endless Spells
1 Everblaze Comet

Total: 1990 points

I messed around with the battleline; I could do 2 10x units of sequitors and 5 liberators which allows me to empower buff all the sequitors with the battalion ability but the liberators are bad imo. everblaze comet looks fun to play.

Edited by Bdp5
Profanity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bdp5 said:

Brewing up my first Aos Army. Have this so far and looking for advice. I don't want to play in tournaments yet but I also don't want to get owned on the reg so...:

Order/SCE/Hammers of Sigmar

Battalions
Grand Convocation
Cleansing Phalanx

Leaders
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger with Staff of Focus, We Cannot Fail, Chain Lightning, and Aetheral Stalker
Knight Incantor with Mindlock Staff and Starfall
Knight Incantor with Lightning Blast
Lord Exorcist with God-forged Blade and Stormcaller

Battleslines
10 Sequitors
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

Other
5 Evocators
3 Evocators on Dracolines

Endless Spells
1 Everblaze Comet

Total: 1990 points

I messed around with the battleline; I could do 2 10x units of sequitors and 5 liberators which allows me to empower buff all the sequitors with the battalion ability but the liberators are bad imo. everblaze comet looks fun to play.

This list will do against most non competetive opponents, but will get bullied by anything with decent shooting/mortal wounds output/melee monsters (like beastclaw), large numbers
Two main problems with your list are: it's fragile as hell and full melee. And those can work together, but not when it is the properties of whole army. Sure, try it if you have all the models, if not, I'd suggest dropping dracolines along with phalanx, getting cogs to take most of staff of focus with two spells, building up sequitors to maybe 20 man and getting 2x5 judicators, or 2x10 seq and 5 juds. Also lord castellant would be great.

Maybe smtg like that:

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Thundershock
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (140)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100

Here you have some shooting, improved defence due to lord castellant and cogs, remeber that you can use cogs with evocators to get them reroll of all save rolls as well as ability to double cast Empower if you want

Also check out Black Blade's thread on SCE magic for some ideas and experience  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prepping to go to a tournament next weekend. Just finished painting the last unit tonight. Picture attached, list below.

There’s not much I can change at this stage, but I’m open to ideas.

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Knight-Azyros (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

780370ED-D2C8-484A-9F3C-DB56A16E6084.jpeg

• Like 1