AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Bellfree said:

This pretty much 100% needs to happen just so Anvils doesn't become a super 'brake-check' list like what Skryre fyre used to be. Because as the rule is currently worded you could take 1 unit of 12 longstrikes, 15 liberators, a Castellant, a relictor with bless weapons and 3 min units of skinks as your whole list and have the longstrikes shoot 14 times in your first turn with 2 layers of chaff to block deepstriking.

The usual blah blah blah applies; what if they shoot you first, what if they can stop your CA, what if they can charge before you shoot, what if they have umbral spellportal, what if objectives, what if yadda, yadda, yadda. The point is that this list is eventually going to find someone who DOESN'T have the tools to stop it and that person is going to have literally their entire army killed in his opponents first hero phase.

Its also worth noting that skinks are now seraphon allegience battleline and even if they were not I believe that allied units cannot count for battleline requirements any more. So youre stuck using libs, judicators, sequitors or hunters.

15 minutes ago, Skinnyboy said:

Its also worth noting that skinks are now seraphon allegience battleline and even if they were not I believe that allied units cannot count for battleline requirements any more. So youre stuck using libs, judicators, sequitors or hunters.

that why he said 15 liberators i think. The skinks still cost nothing and are good as chaff and anti-deepstrike unit

Sounds like the Celestant prime gets a buff in the new battletome. Starts on 3 attacks plus some other new abilities.

Staunch defender now wholly within. I think it's the same range.

Lightening chariot reworked and renamed to translocation. Now counts as a setup, 9 inches from an enemy model. The translocated model is -1 to hit for that turn (not sure if battle round).

Edited by suedester
Extra info
  • Like 1

With the new Soul Wars set finally giving Stormcast the theme I've been wanting in my Mixed Order list (Arcane Engineers) it looks like I might actually loom into playing more Stormcast these days. Will keep an eye on this thread for ideas and such. May post some lists later once I break into my GHB and such. 

Love the reset to the Let's Chats, I can finally get in on the ground level!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

With the new Soul Wars set finally giving Stormcast the theme I've been wanting in my Mixed Order list (Arcane Engineers) it looks like I might actually loom into playing more Stormcast these days. Will keep an eye on this thread for ideas and such. May post some lists later once I break into my GHB and such. 

Love the reset to the Let's Chats, I can finally get in on the ground level!

So far there's only the Lord-Ordinator and the Celestar Ballistae, no word on more machines/units besides a hint at more war machines later

1 hour ago, suedester said:

Sounds like the Celestant prime gets a buff in the new battletome. Starts on 3 attacks plus some other new abilities.

Lightening chariot reworked and renamed to translocation. Now counts as a setup, 9 inches from an enemy model. The translocated model is -1 to hit for that turn (not sure if battle round).

From the stream? Where'd you hear this? 

If true, that's nice. Chariot still being around makes me want to try a Veritant, and the Prime might be quite good with buffs. 

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

From the stream? Where'd you hear this? 

If true, that's nice. Chariot still being around makes me want to try a Veritant, and the Prime might be quite good with buffs. 

Yeah I've been wishy washy on buying a prime for over a year.  If he got some buffs I may bite the bullet.

6 hours ago, suedester said:

Making the Prime decent for his cost instead of lowering points sounds like the right thing to do. Staunch sounds more limited (one unit in range at most?) but at least we keep it. New LC sounds great!

6 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Some people have mentioned the Lord Exorcist is 140 points... He's terrible if that's the case.  

The Incantor is so much better for the same points. He won't be seeing any tables except in Narrative games, in anti Nighthaunt tailored lists.

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Making the Prime decent for his cost instead of lowering points sounds like the right thing to do. Staunch sounds more limited (one unit in range at most?) but at least we keep it. New LC sounds great!

The Incantor is so much better for the same points. He won't be seeing any tables except in Narrative games, in anti Nighthaunt tailored lists.

If the goal is another caster for endless spells or spell lores I would use the exorcist alongside the incantor, they are our cheapest casters. His spell isn't great on the face of it but I think it has its uses. Paired with a balewind and a mirror his spell becomes quite lethal vs low bravery armies.

Here are all the stormhosts that will get background, Abilities, Command Abilities, Command Traits and Artefacts of Power according to the battletome description:

8 in total

Hammers of Sigmar
Hallowed Knights
Celestial Vindicators
Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Knights Excelsior
Celestial Warbringers
Tempest Lords
Astral Templars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

If the goal is another caster for endless spells or spell lores I would use the exorcist alongside the incantor, they are our cheapest casters. His spell isn't great on the face of it but I think it has its uses. Paired with a balewind and a mirror his spell becomes quite lethal vs low bravery armies.

Not really. The most any unit is taking from his spell is D3 damage and the types of units he's going to be able to get consistent damage off against aren't going to care about d3 mortal wounds and are likely going to be in fairly large units so it's unlikely he's hitting very many things at once. Putting him on a balewind is just chasing bad money with good.

Even if you are just grabbing another caster for endless spells or spell lores, taking additional Incantors is always going to be superior to the Lord Exorcist UNLESS the lord exorcist gets either some special bonus from the battletome OR access to an extremely strong lore spell that the Incantor DOESN'T get. If neither of those conditions are met than the Incantor is simply the superior option.

Edited by Bellfree
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

Not really. The most any unit is taking from his spell is D3 damage and the types of units he's going to be able to get consistent damage off against aren't going to care about d3 mortal wounds and are likely going to be in fairly large units so it's unlikely he's hitting very many things at once. Putting him on a balewind is just chasing bad money with good.

Even if you are just grabbing another caster for endless spells or spell lores, taking additional Incantors is always going to be superior to the Lord Exorcist UNLESS the lord exorcist gets either some special bonus from the battletome OR access to an extremely strong lore spell that the Incantor DOESN'T get. If neither of those conditions are met than the Incantor is simply the superior option.

I couldn't see your reasoning until I remembered that the Incantor brings a dispell scroll aswell; Fair enough.

34 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

So scions of the storm confirmed. No roll needed but have to arrive turn 1,2 or 3. also -1 to hit when they arrive. So why not deploying everything in the realm then. :)

That's awesomesauce. You won't deploy everything in Azyr as there is a limitation: only half your units can good there.

This changes our tactics forever.