Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Recommended Posts

Morning all,

Here is the new thread for discussing Stormcast Eternals. With the imminent release of AoS 2 and a new Stormcast battletome, now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Stormcast Eternals in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/17980-lets-chat-stormcast-eternals/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Snoe Hammers of Sigmar naturally and then probably Hallowed Knights and Celestial Vindicators? I would expect 6-8 with at least one we haven't heard of before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think each Stormhost will keep it's main special rule and lose some of the others. It's logical that a free "enclave" will give less benefits than a expensive battalion.

I hope we get all of the ones in the previous Battletome, as I can't put my finger on one of them being less iconic or liked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I think each Stormhost will keep it's main special rule and lose some of the others. It's logical that a free "enclave" will give less benefits than a expensive battalion.

I hope we get all of the ones in the previous Battletome, as I can't put my finger on one of them being less iconic or liked.

So previously Hammers ofSigmar had 2 abilities and 1 command trait:

  • +1 bravery;
  • When a liberator unit dies on a 6+ it returns on your next turn;
  • All your units within 3" from your general have a 6+ save against wounds and mortal wounds (command trait).

What will it keep and what will it lose? +1 bravery is not that great (it's good but not overpowered) and the command trait is somewhat viable but not at a "staunch defender" level. The one that seems most intresting is the resummon save on the liberators but getting that "for free" seems too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm considering waiting until the bonuses are out to decide if I keep the Sancrosanct with my Hammers or if they are a new force. 

 

Also because I really hated painting robes over gold on the Ordinator and not sure I fancy a whole army of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm headed to a tourney using the new GHB2018 and i could use some Critique, ive created 2 lists and i need your help deciding. INC spam.

 560 Lord celestant on stardrake General staunch defender, armor of silvered sigmarite 
 100 Lord Castellent
 100 knight heraldor
 140 knight incantor
 100 lord  relictor  Lightning Chariot

 *240 Fulminator
 *240 Fulminator
 160 Judicator
 160 Judicator
 100 liberator

 40 Chronomatic Cogs
 1940, 2 Command points.
*(either 2x2 Units or 1x4)
Thoughts: Core is a Les martin build with added speed and magic for some very fast fuliminator / stardrake action
with Cogs and command ability they are "running" 18' and a 2d6+2 charge distance. 
Lightning chariot + charge is a 50% success. 
Core of slow moving troops is helped with added speed (+2) and guard the heroes for the look out sir.  
Stardrake helps spellcasting. 

Alternative
 
 460 Drakesworn Templar Armor of silvered sigmarite, Stormlance. 
 100 Castellent
 100 Heraldor
 240 Knight arcanum General, Staunch Defender. 
 120 Lord Veritant, Lightning Chariot. 
 
 260 concussors
 260 concussors
 160 Judicators
 120 Sequistors
 120 Sequistors 
 
 40 Chronomatic cogs. 

 1980 1 Command point. 
 Thoughts, Same as above, with less protection but more mortal wound output, you have a stronger batteline for objetive holding,
 internal synergies with the concussors and the Drakesworn templar, Making the lightning stun activate on a 5+, should be effective at locking down hordes.
 Knight arcanum has the movement to skirt around the battlefield, lending aid to the dracoths / templar.
 Lord Veritant adds dispell and a "free" Gryph hound for added Presence. '
 Stardrake helps Knight arcanum reaching the improved versions of his spell. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

I think each Stormhost will keep it's main special rule and lose some of the others. It's logical that a free "enclave" will give less benefits than a expensive battalion.

I hope we get all of the ones in the previous Battletome, as I can't put my finger on one of them being less iconic or liked.

Well...
With our battle trait being absolute ****** and some of the stormhosts being quite good I won't be upset if we keep SOTS the same and get stormhosts full abilities as enclaves/temples whatever

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The list I’ve been thinking of is very similar to these...

stardrake (can’t decide between lord or Templar)

lord arcanum (maybe drake oath once we see the new battle tome, if not the soul wars one for the stardrake resurrection)

gavriel sureheart for extra movement

lord veritant

lord Celestant (for +1 hit)

1x4 Fulminators

sequitors

sequitors

Liberators

60 points left over for either cogs or a command point.

it follows your scheme of hard hitting units in the face of the enemy chomping away turn 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thundering said:

I'm really stoked to get Hammerstrike working, now that the points have been cut substantially.

Same here. I'm thinking of going Retributors+Protectors for ease of piling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict we're only going to get rules for 4 Stormhosts: Hammers of Sigmar, Anvils of the Heldenhammer, Celestial Vindicators, and Hallowed Knights. Those were the 4 shown in the Core Book.

As far as list building goes, I'm going to start the new edition with a Sacrosanct + Stardrake army. Stardrakes being able to add or subtract 1 from every wizard near them is exactly what the new meta will need. I like the look of a big blob of Sequitors buffed by an Arcanum and Evocators to reroll hits, wounds, and saves in the combat phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I predict we're only going to get rules for 4 Stormhosts: Hammers of Sigmar, Anvils of the Heldenhammer, Celestial Vindicators, and Hallowed Knights. Those were the 4 shown in the Core Book.

As far as list building goes, I'm going to start the new edition with a Sacrosanct + Stardrake army. Stardrakes being able to add or subtract 1 from every wizard near them is exactly what the new meta will need. I like the look of a big blob of Sequitors buffed by an Arcanum and Evocators to reroll hits, wounds, and saves in the combat phase.

And I hope you are wrong.

How many players have painted their army as Astral Templars, Tempest Lords, Knights Excelsior or Celestial Warbringers? They deserve to have rules as much as the other 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DanielFM said:

And I hope you are wrong.

How many players have painted their army as Astral Templars, Tempest Lords, Knights Excelsior or Celestial Warbringers? They deserve to have rules as much as the other 4.

I agree or built their own stormhost.  Maybe we can get rules for building our own stormhosts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midjithero said:

The list I’ve been thinking of is very similar to these...

stardrake (can’t decide between lord or Templar)

lord arcanum (maybe drake oath once we see the new battle tome, if not the soul wars one for the stardrake resurrection)

gavriel sureheart for extra movement

lord veritant

lord Celestant (for +1 hit)

1x4 Fulminators

sequitors

sequitors

Liberators

60 points left over for either cogs or a command point.

it follows your scheme of hard hitting units in the face of the enemy chomping away turn 1.

I would add a heraldor instead of gavriel and castellant instead of veritant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of wonder if GW's goal is to make SCE very average.   I mean when were top tier they got hammered hard by all the haters and all of our changes seem in total meant to keep from us being top tier but also not bottom tier.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

And I hope you are wrong.

How many players have painted their army as Astral Templars, Tempest Lords, Knights Excelsior or Celestial Warbringers? They deserve to have rules as much as the other 4.

I hope I'm wrong, too - I play Celestial Warbringers :)

So far we've seen 6 Skyports for KO, 4 Temples for DOK, and 6 Enclaves for Idoneth, so it's certainly possible for us to see 8+ Stormhosts... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I think the chambers will be like kharadron overlords. 

I would really like this to be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/26/26th-june-preview-new-heroes-of-the-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-2/

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming? Why should I take Solbright over a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline? It doesnt look like she gets anything special besides her spell. 

At least Firestrike has a new command ability, new spell and 2 special rules that put him above a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (well at least what I assume to be the rules for one based off the Gryph-Charger variant)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I'm a Hallowed Knights fan myself, I would be disappointed if they didn't include a chamber for each of the large battalions from the last book. I liked all the diversity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/26/26th-june-preview-new-heroes-of-the-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-2/

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming? Why should I take Solbright over a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline? It doesnt look like she gets anything special besides her spell. 

At least Firestrike has a new command ability, new spell and 2 special rules that put him above a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (well at least what I assume to be the rules for one based off the Gryph-Charger variant)

After the seeing the Nighthaunt characters yesterday these are a bit of a let down. Firestrike I can see using, the other one not so much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming?

Absolutely. Revealing them after showing the powerhouses that Nighthaunt will get only makes them more underwhelming. The Mortarch of Grief is 120 points cheaper the the Magistrate of Hammerhal and arguably more powerful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno about this beasty's face. If I could find a nice horse face to replace it I'd seriously consider it.

20180626_152853.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very surprised that the mods didn't wait until the release of 2.0 before locking/moving this thread - we're still going to have 10 pages of speculation before the ruleset officially drops... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don't get it, unless I'm missing something Solbright is literally just a Lord-Arcanum with a different spell for 20pts cheaper.

Firestrike doesn't look worth the cost at all. Plus the Tauralon face is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×