AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Until/unless the next GHB changes this due to the events of the Broken Realms saga. Don’t be surprised if Daughters Of Khaine are no longer available as allies for example 

Oh I very much agree with that. In fact, pre-BR I was considering DoK as my second army but then after reading the book I went for CoS because I wanted something which could work together with my SCE.

I think we might see something like the coalition matrix they had in the GHB2020

For me, Frost Heart tournament is another event that shown that the best stormcast list at the moment is still the vanguard chambers list.

Best result for stromcast is the 16th/60th, 7stormcast players (11,67%) makes them the most played faction at the event.

3lists used the new stormkeep patrol and wardens battalions, unfortunately without success.

That make me think that the celestar balista is an old good piece but outdated even within our faction, the most useful thing is the switch single/multiple shots but at this point I prefer experience new things like judicator/raptor + stormkeep patrol.

Also we know that the field of play will be reduced and many factions can move fast, judicators/raptors can be moved over the field and protected slightly better than celestar balista.

Edited by baiardo

7 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

In all fairness, due to the larger player base of Stormcast, it’s actually very likely that any ‘reasonable improvements’ would *appear* to throw off the balance (not necessarily that it would, but due to player numbers it might look like the army is ‘stronger’ than it’s supposed to be)

is it actually that large? Judging from tournament stats and survey results, the army spread in AOS is fairly equal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

In all fairness, due to the larger player base of Stormcast, it’s actually very likely that any ‘reasonable improvements’ would *appear* to throw off the balance (not necessarily that it would, but due to player numbers it might look like the army is ‘stronger’ than it’s supposed to be)

That's a terrible reason to not give Stormcast good rules. You don't balance factions based on playerbase, that's ridiculous.  That's like saying in MTG, Blue is the most popular color, so let's never give them any good cards.  

I really hope GW doesn't "balance" like that. Imma sell out of Stormcast if that's true lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

is it actually that large? Judging from tournament stats and survey results, the army spread in AOS is fairly equal.

yeah, last big events there were few stormcast players, even 1event with 97players and 0 stormcast list.

Edited by baiardo

24 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Tournaments are NOT the only way people are playing. More people play and don’t go to tournaments than those that do. I understand that tournaments are the only source for data however, but it is important to remember that isn’t the whole picture 

I wouldn'y say that. In my country there is MUCH MORE tournament players. 

8 hours ago, Killamike said:

Your wrong and Joseph is right.  

The biggest aos tournies are 200 people.  

You don't become a billion dollar company by selling models to 200 people each country. 

I guess that's a bit oversimplified. There's also a lot of peopke that aspire to competitive play but can't get tourneys in due to other reasons. My local 40k group is pretty much like this. I think most people focus on relaxed beer and brezel hammer, but there's certainly overlap and large regional differences.

21 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Tournaments are NOT the only way people are playing. More people play and don’t go to tournaments than those that do. I understand that tournaments are the only source for data however, but it is important to remember that isn’t the whole picture 

they certainly are not, but we can extrapolate that tournament armies have *some* links to army popularity in general. what I meant was that unlike 40k, AOS tournaments have such a wide spread of different faction lists, that I cannot believe any one AOS faction dominates purchases by even casual players or hobbyists. whereas in 40k the tourney lists are pretty indicative of the Marine-bloat problem (and Imperium-bias in general). and even though most evidence in AOS points to the contrary, people think Stormcast dominate AOS because they refuse to separate them from 40k's Marines favoritism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

they certainly are not, but we can extrapolate that tournament armies have *some* links to army popularity in general. what I meant was that unlike 40k, AOS tournaments have such a wide spread of different faction lists, that I cannot believe any one AOS faction dominates purchases by even casual players or hobbyists. whereas in 40k the tourney lists are pretty indicative of the Marine-bloat problem (and Imperium-bias in general). and even though most evidence in AOS points to the contrary, people think Stormcast dominate AOS because they refuse to separate them from 40k's Marines favoritism.

Most people get into the game via starter sets meaning they’d have a Stormcast army (not everyone bothers with trying to sell off stuff) and/or Nighthaunt/Khorne. At least at the gw store level (up to 1000pts) or garage gaming, maybe even clubs, Stormcast are very likely the most played faction, until that person decides to get a different army, but then the cycle starts again with every new person. The same happens with 40K except that a lot more people stick with Space Marines rather than doing something else 

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Most people get into the game via starter sets meaning they’d have a Stormcast army (not everyone bothers with trying to sell off stuff) and/or Nighthaunt/Khorne. At least at the gw store level (up to 1000pts) or garage gaming, maybe even clubs, Stormcast are very likely the most played faction, until that person decides to get a different army, but then the cycle starts again with every new person. The same happens with 40K except that a lot more people stick with Space Marines rather than doing something else 

Yes I’ve ended up with a small army of almost every box army just because at some point the models are there and essentially “free”.

however with Stormcast, in our local area, although almost everyone has a Stormcast army or at least the models, almost no one is playing them. I do think that’s a problem and indicative of the wider market.

Yes, Stormcast are technically “popular” from the standpoint that a lot of people own some models, but if popularity is measured by the number of people actively playing and sticking with them, I think they are basically the last kid picked on the playground. Imo...

6 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Yes I’ve ended up with a small army of almost every box army just because at some point the models are there and essentially “free”.

however with Stormcast, in our local area, although almost everyone has a Stormcast army or at least the models, almost no one is playing them. I do think that’s a problem and indicative of the wider market.

Yes, Stormcast are technically “popular” from the standpoint that a lot of people own some models, but if popularity is measured by the number of people actively playing and sticking with them, I think they are basically the last kid picked on the playground. Imo...

People play them, just not in the tournaments. The gw store has lots more people playing Stormcast

51 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

People play them, just not in the tournaments. The gw store has lots more people playing Stormcast

We could agree that the stormcast  eternals ARE the starting faction with average power and stats.

• Like 1

Just now, Marcvs said:

correct, my bad, I always forget the thunderhead thing, never ever used it 😅

I ran a double stardrake starcast list at a TTS tournament at the weekend whilst it did not go well I found the roiling thunderhead quite useful against things like 30 lumineth spearmen

Yesterday I played a casual 2K pts vs Ironjawz. I' ve played 6*Kittycats which I dropped them in 2nd round but I think they better start the game cause in case of failing the charge their output damage is lower. I tried a 20 sequitors team for which I had doubts but they locked the Megaboss and 3 warchanters still staying for 3 rounds. Instead of VR with Longstrikes I put the Ballistas which were more usefull for cleaning the ardboys and the pigs (in 18"). The other battlelines were 2*5 Libs from which I sacrificed the one to protect Balllistas (the pigs killed the 5 libs, I consider this as a win).  Concluding kittycats with Heraldor and castellant to buffed up in Hero Phase and charge in 2 turn. 4*5 Sequitors can't pile in all of them but they can stay in battle longer. They were a drop in 3rd round. I don't know how it would be against a list with magic. 

Hi all, hope you're well! I'm just needing some help with options for a tournament list I'm making for July. I'm not aiming for cut throat competition, but something with teeth. I need the most help with items / abilities etc:

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200) - General - Command Trait: We Cannot Fail - Artefact: God-forged Blade - Spell: Stormcaller - Mount Trait: Keen-clawed

Drakesworn Templar (420) - Tempest Axe - Artefact: Armor of Silvered Sigmarite - Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Lord-Relictor (100) - Prayer: Translocation

Lord-Castellant (120)

UNITS

10 x Sequitors (240) - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 4 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

10 x Sequitors (240) - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 4 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Liberators (90) - Warblade & Shield - 1 x Grandblades

5 x Evocators (210) - Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260) - Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

BATTALIONS Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Is this an ok list? Wanting to stick to HoS as thats how they're painted and I'd like the dragon!

-What is the best weapon for the drake?

-What is the best abilties for the heroes (spells / mount traits etc)

-What are the optimal options for the evocator units?

1 hour ago, Brother Mayhem said:

Hi all, hope you're well! I'm just needing some help with options for a tournament list I'm making for July. I'm not aiming for cut throat competition, but something with teeth. I need the most help with items / abilities etc:

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200) - General - Command Trait: We Cannot Fail - Artefact: God-forged Blade - Spell: Stormcaller - Mount Trait: Keen-clawed

Drakesworn Templar (420) - Tempest Axe - Artefact: Armor of Silvered Sigmarite - Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Lord-Castellant (120)

UNITS

Is this an ok list? Wanting to stick to HoS as thats how they're painted and I'd like the dragon!

Are you able to swap the arcanum on gryph for a dracoline? Evocators on  dracoline are so much stronger with the LAoD buffs. 

I also have found cleansing phalanx to be next to useless, you rarely end up using the spell on sequitors and it doesn't reduce drops enough to provide much benefit there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brother Mayhem said:

LEADERS

Lord-Castellant (120)

UNITS

26 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

Are you able to swap the arcanum on gryph for a dracoline? Evocators on  dracoline are so much stronger with the LAoD buffs. 

I also have found cleansing phalanx to be next to useless, you rarely end up using the spell on sequitors and it doesn't reduce drops enough to provide much benefit there. 

I would also make the dracolines a unit of 6, maybe dropping evo on foot and relictor.