AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Ah, you swapped out the 2nd Incantor. I don't think I could ever drop the second dispel scroll - my local meta is full of Skaven trying to pull off the vortex combo, Sylvaneth spamming woods, and Thricefold Befoulment trying to 3d3 plaguewind through a portal.

I've also won a game because of an incantor pincer double charge with spirit flasks doing 6d3 mortal wounds to clan rats to clear the way for my Evocators to make it into a warpseer holding an objective.

How do you feel about dealing with deep strike lists without a gryph hound?

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Ah, you swapped out the 2nd Incantor. I don't think I could ever drop the second dispel scroll - my local meta is full of Skaven trying to pull off the vortex combo, Sylvaneth spamming woods, and Thricefold Befoulment trying to 3d3 plaguewind through a portal.

I've also won a game because of an incantor pincer double charge with spirit flasks doing 6d3 mortal wounds to clan rats to clear the way for my Evocators to make it into a warpseer holding an objective.

How do you feel about dealing with deep strike lists without a gryph hound?

Ah, Double Incantor is a great idea for sure, I could easily see that working well.

Honestly the Gryph Hound loss is mostly fine. The main loss is that I don't have a throwaway model to just sit 9" from my back corner and block off, his actual barking to shoot ability never went off anyways. Skinks can cover more than enough ground and are also really good for blocking charges, and tbh Libs are so useless in combat that I often just throw them into the backfield to do the same job of covering drops. I'd like to have that extra body for free, but it's not been the end of the world.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Haven't tried Stardrake + Ballista, seems like the points would be a bit funky. What setup were you thinking? 

Something like this, maybe I should go for skinks. 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Aqshy LEADERS Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560) - General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender - Celestine Hammer - Artefact : Ignax's Scales - Mount Trait : Keen-clawed Lord-Ordinator (140) Knight-Incantor (140) Knight-Azyros (100) Lord-Castellant (100) UNITS 5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers - 1 x Grandhammers 5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers - 1 x Grandhammers 5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers - 1 x Grandhammers 5 x Judicators (160) - Skybolt Bows - 1 x Thunderbolt Crossbows WAR MACHINES Celestar Ballista (100) Celestar Ballista (100) Celestar Ballista (100) Celestar Ballista (100) ENDLESS SPELLS Everblaze Comet (100)

17 minutes ago, trarux said:

Something like this, maybe I should go for skinks. 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560) - General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender - Celestine Hammer - Artefact : Ignax's Scales - Mount Trait : Keen-clawed
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Azyros (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers - 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160) - Skybolt Bows - 1 x Thunderbolt Crossbows

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Everblaze Comet (100)

It's a good start, but some notes: 

• Azyros might be a bit greedy. Multiple Ballistas already rinse most units or Heroes, reroll 1s is probably overkill even when you get it in play.
  • Judicators are unnecessary considering how much shooting you already have. I'd rather have more bodies - 2 units of Skinks is cheaper, double the wounds, and covers a huge amount of ground and objectives, which you need. 
  • Much like the Azyros, the Comet is probably overkill. Between Stardrake dropping stars and charging, and the Ballistas blasting things away, you don't need another 100 points of ranged damage.

Dropping the Comet, Azyros, and Judis frees up 360 points. I'd want more bodies - either Allied Skinks like I said, or beefing up the Lib units to go hold objectives and block off space. Especially once the Stardrake gets out of range, having a 10-15 man Libby unit can be a good target for the Castellant and make a backfield holder.

I like the idea, though! 

I am considering starting a Storcarst army. 

I like it competitive 2000p but what list is good I have looked at some of the newer tournaments lists but to me, they look different.

so my question is what are your suggestions on a good competitive list? and why?

And what are some of the general strategy ideas? 

Thanks in advance :)

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

It's a good start, but some notes: 

• Azyros might be a bit greedy. Multiple Ballistas already rinse most units or Heroes, reroll 1s is probably overkill even when you get it in play.
  • Judicators are unnecessary considering how much shooting you already have. I'd rather have more bodies - 2 units of Skinks is cheaper, double the wounds, and covers a huge amount of ground and objectives, which you need. 
  • Much like the Azyros, the Comet is probably overkill. Between Stardrake dropping stars and charging, and the Ballistas blasting things away, you don't need another 100 points of ranged damage.

Dropping the Comet, Azyros, and Judis frees up 360 points. I'd want more bodies - either Allied Skinks like I said, or beefing up the Lib units to go hold objectives and block off space. Especially once the Stardrake gets out of range, having a 10-15 man Libby unit can be a good target for the Castellant and make a backfield holder.

I like the idea, though! 

Thx for the feedback ! 

Maybe 15 sequitors for the 360 points ? to get an even tankier block 

This is the anvilstrike list I'm currently trying out. It's been doing pretty well, but I feel like I definitely need more practice.

Lord-Arcanum (on foot)

Knight-Incantor

Knight-Heraldor

Knight-Azyros

x5 Sequitors

x5 Sequitors

x5 Sequitors

x10 Evocators

x9 Longstrikes

x3 Aetherwings

x3 Aetherwings

I think Aetherwings are the reason this list works. Denying melee combat for at least one turn gives you the time you need to shoot them off the table. You can get away with 1, but having 2 squads allows you more zone denial and the ability to pincer an enemy unit on two flanks and deny piling in because it would break unit cohesion. 

My favourite maneuver with Aetherwings is to completely deny enemy charges by placing them on my frontline and then retreating more than 12" from the enemy - with no units within 12" they cannot even declare a charge, even if they would get +9 to their charge roll. This is especially useful against deep strike charges.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I haven't really try the aetherwings but I wonder is it necassary to bring two squad of aetherwings? If not you have enough points to bring castellant with azyros. Reroll 1s is pretty important from my experience.

Aetherwings are MVPs always. Stop a Gristlegore Terrorgheist one time and tell me that's not worth 50 points every game. 

• Like 1

So I have been researching Stormcast and I have found a list on 1500p I think I like. I wanna have the ability to make this into a 2000p list. 

Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer or  Hammers of Sigmar?

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240) - Stormrage Blade - We Cannot Fail/ Single-minded Fury  - Wind Runner. (General)

Lord-Castellant (100) -Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest - Soulthief.

Lord-Relictor (100)

10 x Sequitors (240) -  Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces.

5 x Sequitors (120) -  Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 2-3x Stormsmite Greatmaces.

5 x Sequitors (120) -  Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 2-3x Stormsmite Greatmaces.

5 x Evocators (200) -2x Grandstaves.

3x Celestar Ballista (300)

5 x Judicators (160) - Skybolt Bows - 1x Shockbolt Bows.

5 x Judicators (160) -Skybolt Bows - 1x Shockbolt Bows.

This should be 1540p (What good things could i do to make it 1500p)

And what good things could i do to make it 2000p competitive.

Any help and ideas are welcome :D 

Thansk

For one, you have one extra artefact and no battalion, cheater :P The stormhost artefact takes up the free slot, so no lantern. Also that's 1740 pts

I'd consolidate the Sequitors into ten man squads at least, you have the Judicators to fill in battleline. If you go for 20 Sequitors in one unit you also get the discount and quite the deathball with the Castellant's lantern and Evocators' Empower/ Celestial Blades, while retaining 3 battleline with the 2 squads of Judicators.

To build up to 2000 points get more Evocators, add something fast to grab objectves, like Aetherwings. In my opinion you have too much shooting and too little to block chargers. Hope that helps ;)

57 minutes ago, Lucur said:

For one, you have one extra artefact and no battalion, cheater :P The stormhost artefact takes up the free slot, so no lantern. Also that's 1740 pts

I'd consolidate the Sequitors into ten man squads at least, you have the Judicators to fill in battleline. If you go for 20 Sequitors in one unit you also get the discount and quite the deathball with the Castellant's lantern and Evocators' Empower/ Celestial Blades, while retaining 3 battleline with the 2 squads of Judicators.

To build up to 2000 points get more Evocators, add something fast to grab objectves, like Aetherwings. In my opinion you have too much shooting and too little to block chargers. Hope that helps ;)

Thanks and sorry about that.  :) 

I will drop the -Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest - Soulthief. on Lord-Castellant (100). or something else if I go 20 man squads?

What about  3 or 6 x Evocators on Dracolines (300) instet of 5x2 Judicators  or the 3x Celestar Ballista? for more movement and Evocators for opbjects? and less shooting. or should they just be normal Evocators? 

Maybe a  Knight-Heraldor (100)?

Thanks.

Hey peeps.

Just got my hands on the soul wars stormybois to add to my old chaps and had a question.

What is the best setup for sequitors?

From what I understand you can have two great mauls per five man group PLUS the prime can also have one in any group. Is it best to have as many with the maul as possible? 

Ill be rocking an anvils of heldenhammer allegience if that matters at all.

Cheers!

@RareDesire you will have to decide what you want to build a list around. Evocators on foot are more powerful and cheaper, therefor they need a "delivery-system" like Gavriel Sureheart and Scions or a Knight-Vexillor. The Kittycators are fast by themselves, they might need a Knight Heraldor to retreat and charge and otherwise they're good to go.

The general consensus seems to be that shooting is necessary to pick out enemy characters, that can be done my 3-4 ballistae and a Lord Ordinator delivered into 18" range per Scions or a larger squad of Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes, the latter preferrably as Anvils to shoot a second time in the hero phase.

@RiavanAs many Greatmaces as possiple. They rival Retributors in damage output and are more resilient due to shields and rerollable save in combat, while ticking that battleline box.

51 minutes ago, Lucur said:

@RareDesire you will have to decide what you want to build a list around. Evocators on foot are more powerful and cheaper, therefor they need a "delivery-system" like Gavriel Sureheart and Scions or a Knight-Vexillor. The Kittycators are fast by themselves, they might need a Knight Heraldor to retreat and charge and otherwise they're good to go.

The general consensus seems to be that shooting is necessary to pick out enemy characters, that can be done my 3-4 ballistae and a Lord Ordinator delivered into 18" range per Scions or a larger squad of Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes, the latter preferrably as Anvils to shoot a second time in the hero phase.

@RiavanAs many Greatmaces as possiple. They rival Retributors in damage output and are more resilient due to shields and rerollable save in combat, while ticking that battleline box.

Thansk.

so a list could look like this.

Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer or  Hammers of Sigmar?

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240) - Stormrage Blade - We Cannot Fail/ Single-minded Fury  - Wind Runner. (General)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

Knight-Vexillor (120)

Lord-Castellant (100) or  Lord-Relictor (100)?

10 x Sequitors (240) -  Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces.

10 x Sequitors (240) -  Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 2-3x Stormsmite Greatmaces.

5 x Judicators (160) - Skybolt Bows 1x Shockbolt Bows

5 x Evocators (200) -5x Grandstaves. (or should they jsut go in as a 10 man squad?)

5 x Evocators (200) -5x Grandstaves.

3x Celestar Ballista (300)

Total: 1940p

Thansk for the help. this is realy helping me getting a better look into a find list :)

So one of the thoughts related to the current meta:

There's a lot of lists out there that are running double big monsters, which works quite well since one big monster or unit (like a singular Stardrake) can get out of position or split up by opponents flanking. Two monsters can threaten a large portion of the board and force your opponent to split up and react. So here's a stupid army:

Drakesworn Templar - General, Staunch, Ignax, Keen Clawed
Drakesworn Templar - Ethereal Amulet, Keen Clawed
Incantor - Azyrite Halo
Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators
Judicators
Judicators

Thunderhead Brotherhood

1980/2000

Now, I haven't tested it and it for sure isn't optimized, but I think the idea of a double Templar build might actually be worth considering. They're very much not as good as the Lord Celestant versions, but they are cheaper so fitting two isn't that big of a deal. The Battalion is nothing special, but it is a relatively cheap way to get the second artifact on the Stardrakes considering it only needs 2 extra Battlelines. Could probably swap one Incantor for a Castellant or Heraldor, but either way.

Now, Templars aren't the most killy things in the game, but they are pretty stalwart (especially if you can chuck Mystic Shield on one of them) and the Rain of Stars can be quite powerful. The main downside is bodies - most of the double monster lists are in armies where those monsters can be supplemented by cheap, replenishable bodies (Death, Seraphon, etc). A version of this that drops the Battalion and Judis but takes 20 Sequitors could be pretty nice as well, but then you lose one Artifact which is pretty harsh. 

• Like 2

So I've played a few games with my list, and I was wondering if ya'll could take a look and critique?

I have the general and dracoline units on the field to start, and I bring the sequitor 10 man unit down with the ballistas later to pummel choice targets, or nab objectives.

Screenshot_20190402-101317_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190402-101322_Drive.jpg

Edited by Wopple
Image cut off

12 minutes ago, Requizen said:

So one of the thoughts related to the current meta:

There's a lot of lists out there that are running double big monsters, which works quite well since one big monster or unit (like a singular Stardrake) can get out of position or split up by opponents flanking. Two monsters can threaten a large portion of the board and force your opponent to split up and react. So here's a stupid army:

Drakesworn Templar - General, Staunch, Ignax, Keen Clawed
Drakesworn Templar - Ethereal Amulet, Keen Clawed
Incantor - Azyrite Halo
Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators
Judicators
Judicators

Thunderhead Brotherhood

1980/2000

Now, I haven't tested it and it for sure isn't optimized, but I think the idea of a double Templar build might actually be worth considering. They're very much not as good as the Lord Celestant versions, but they are cheaper so fitting two isn't that big of a deal. The Battalion is nothing special, but it is a relatively cheap way to get the second artifact on the Stardrakes considering it only needs 2 extra Battlelines. Could probably swap one Incantor for a Castellant or Heraldor, but either way.

Now, Templars aren't the most killy things in the game, but they are pretty stalwart (especially if you can chuck Mystic Shield on one of them) and the Rain of Stars can be quite powerful. The main downside is bodies - most of the double monster lists are in armies where those monsters can be supplemented by cheap, replenishable bodies (Death, Seraphon, etc). A version of this that drops the Battalion and Judis but takes 20 Sequitors could be pretty nice as well, but then you lose one Artifact which is pretty harsh. 

Fun as hell but stop making me think having another Stardrake is an acceptable and financially mature decision to make please

• Like 1