AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Wondering what people thought of this?

Not sure how Dracolines compare to normal foot Evocators. I just like the movement and built in re-roll charges.

Not sure whether I'm too hero light, could always drop the Comet for another hero/drop the Judicators to a unit of Libs and then make the Sequitors a unit of 20.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

On 3/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, PJetski said:

I can't help but feel envious of the new Skullcrushers, especially at their point cost. 

I really hope GHB2019 has some significant point cuts for Dracoths and Drakesworn Templar.

As a guy that invested a lot of money and time painting Dracoths(8) and a Templar(blue tac a shield on to make him a celestant) I couldn't agree more!  I am still salty about the change to tempestors.  They used to be such a great tool in a dracoth heavy army with the targeted -1 to hit debuff, not to mention the old MW breath weapon which doesn't seem so crazy these days.  No reason to take them now over fulminators.  While fulmi's aren't really bad, they have been completely surpassed by not only other units in the book, namely sequitors and evos( with sure charge the lower movement is irrelevant and body count is huge advantage in the objective game), but also new units in other books.  In short, I think all the nerfs in the new book were totally unnecessary. Still wish there was a way to make them battleline, no way in todays game it would be anything close to OP, I mean compared to 4 units of 40 murder monks for skaven?

Templar could still drop 60-80 pts in my opinion.  He lacks the shield of the celestant so is in no way shape or form worth his 460 points in an era kicking out the MWs most armies bring to bear and sub 300 pt Verminlords!  

Bit of a rant, sorry, but had to get it off my chest, Lol

Edited by Mikosan
  • Like 1

It does seem the points cost and perhaps even the warscrolls of many of the units in the SCE book need readjusting, in light of some of the newer books coming out. I understand that new stuff has to be a bit better than the old stuff in order to incentivise purchases, but even some of the new stuff seems strangely balanced and not quite doing what it seems intended to do.

2 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Not sure how Dracolines compare to normal foot Evocators. I just like the movement and built in re-roll charges.

Dracolines on the charge can be beyond terrifying. With pride leader, empower and celestial blades plus the LAoCDs CA you get 24 attacks, hitting on 2+, wounding on 2+ with a reroll, -1 rend, D3 damage. The mortal wounds and even the riders attacks are almost incidental after that. With the heraldor there to give them run and charge even a 24" apart deployment means they can be in your face turn 1. 

I'm a big fan of dracolines and rarely take the foot evocators any more as I think are overcosted (contentious opinion I know) for how little use you get out of them. Sure they put out silly mortal wounds but then they either die or do nothing the rest of the game. Dracolines have no trouble moving around the board to where the action is.

Dracolines have a lot more tactical flexibility (especially with a Heraldor) because of their speed, but the mortal wound output from Evocators on foot is absurd. I think Evocators work better in Anvils, Astral Templars, and Gavriel lists, while Dracolines do better in any other list.

I'm considering building towards an Anvilstrike list and while mathshammering some lists i came to the conclusion that 6 Longstrikes will reliably drop 5w 4+sv heroes. This made me want 12 of the buggers so i can headshot four necromancers a turn. In most Anvilstrike lists i see 9 Longstrikes. Why is that, considering that it gives more shots per CP?

Cheers guys, have amended the list and going to give this a shot once I've got it all built.

On paper, I prefer the Dracolines just for movement alone, they're not stuck to 5" move and the re-roll charges is just an added benefit.

Not sure whether the Stormhost is the right choice though.

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

LEADERS

- General
- Command Trait : Single-minded Fury
- Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait : Pride Leader

Knight-Heraldor (100)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

UNITS
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

20 x Sequitors (400)
- 9 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

55 minutes ago, Lucur said:

I'm considering building towards an Anvilstrike list and while mathshammering some lists i came to the conclusion that 6 Longstrikes will reliably drop 5w 4+sv heroes. This made me want 12 of the buggers so i can headshot four necromancers a turn. In most Anvilstrike lists i see 9 Longstrikes. Why is that, considering that it gives more shots per CP?

Longstrikes are 180pt for 3, and only 6 wounds. They are a fragile and expensive unit. If they ever take damage you are in a seriously bad position, and sometimes you just can't stop that from happening, like when facing Skyfires.

From ~1.5 years of playtesting and tournament experience with Longstrikes (first with Aetherstrike, now with Anvils) I have found 9x Longstrikes is the perfect amount - it deals enough to kill almost any target with a double tap, but it doesn't overcommit to shooting and gives you enough points to bring the right support units. You can bring 12, but the extra 3 shots per volley is often overkill and increases the footprint of your unit significantly.

You never want to fully commit to shooting with any army in AOS 2 because there are some hard counters (Sylvaneth woods, Plaguebringers, Fulminators) and specific Realm rules can completely neuter you. A mix of melee and shooting is preferable since it gives you tactical flexibility.

Furthermore, while it is tempting to go all-in on shooting with the Anvils command ability you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. A dual threat approach of Longstrikes and Evocators (or a similar melee powerhouse) makes it much more difficult for your opponent to counter since they have to wipe both units off the table to deny your insane damage output.

When building Anvil lists you should try to strike the right balance of long range shooting power, a melee hammer unit, and the right support units. It just so happens that 9 Longstrikes is the right amount to optimize all these factors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Not sure whether I'm too hero light, could always drop the Comet for another hero/drop the Judicators to a unit of Libs and then make the Sequitors a unit of 20.

Leaders
- General
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Wounds: 108

It's a lot like a list I've been working on recently - 

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Mindlock Staff
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Wounds: 121

With mine I've tried to keep a castellant and staunch in there to bolster the inevitable counter attack that'll be coming their way.
Also I went Mindlock Staff  as the artefact to shut down Nagash, as I seem to fight him a lot!
Skinks are there as an objective grabber. Could go Aetherwings and save 10 points, but the skinks I think are a bit better.
I could go either way on 4 Ballista's or the Comet. Or even 3 Ballista's, no skinks and an Incantor, so I have another scoring unit in Places of Arcane Power (3 Places of Power? the one where wizards score).
Lastly, I may swap out the Sequitors for 2x Liberators and 1x Judicators.

• Like 1

@PJetski

thanks for the insights, that makes sense!

@That Guy

I regularly use a squad of three hurrica e Raptors, they do work. The number of dice is obscene and with a Knight Incantor's spiritstorm in the back you can position them somewhat aggressively and still be relatively safe from things that don't run and charge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, That Guy said:

Hey guys, just a question. How do Castigators do these days, Judicators with crossbows, Hurricane Crossbow Raptors?
I understand they are not in the meta now, but do anyone use them in any shape or form? 

Crossbow Judicators and Hurricane Raptors are two of our best damage options for shooting point for point. However, it's the range that really gets them. Judis needing to be within 12" is extremely dangerous, since they'll usually explode in combat. Hurricanes with 18" is better, since they're relatively safe from most counter-charges (especially if they drop with Aetherwings), but it's still quite risky and the dice rolls for that unit can be quite swingy. Both are really solid if you have ways to support them, either with other close drops (Gav or Skyborne) or with super fast units coming up to support them (Stardrake, Dracovators).

Castigators... are interesting. They're extremely efficient against Daemons and Nighthaunt, which are both relatively popular in the meta at the moment, but are fairly lacking against everything else. The Rend-2 shooting is pretty interesting to bring for occasional Hero hunting as well, if you can drop near a smaller Hero with 6-12 of them you can usually light it up a fair amount. They're not... bad, but they're definitely not significantly better at any other shooting unit for the points. Basically I think of our shooting units like this:

Bow Judis: Good generalists for camping objectives while shooting at longer range, also fill out Battleline slots. 

XBow Judis: Very solid damage output but suffer from low range. A really good option within Skyborne Slayers, where you can drop them behind a big wall of dudes and shoot away. 

Hurricane Raptors: Good for damage output, safer than XBow Judis but riskier than Longstrikes. Good for hunting smaller units or annoying melee units. Drop in the middle of the board with Aetherwings for maximum annoyance.

Longstrike Raptors: Hero and Monster Hunters. Range and MWs are the main thing - they're not good at clearing units but they will cripple the important units in your opponent's army. Range makes them really frustrating for some opponents to deal with. Much better in Anvils than not.

Ballistas: Good if you commit. One or two is meh, three or four with an Ordinator makes your opponent weep. Reliant on getting to close range, but enemies also usually come towards you anyways.

Castigators: Don't really do anything better than above units. Not heavy damage dealers like Crossbows or Ballistas, not long ranged threat like Longstrikes or Bows, no debuffing or other shenanigans. Their best use is as an MSU unit, bringing 3 or 4 units of three to scatter about and force your opponent to spread... but that's kind of it.

• Thanks 3

Hello, I'm thinking of starting a Stormcast army, this would be my first foray into age of sigmar. Ive made a simple list, I haven't brought any models yet. I'm looking for some critique or maybe example of a 1k point list that's easy to play while I learn the game but wont get totally destroyed.  I should mention that my local gaming group just started a escalation league starting at a minimum of 500 points. So maybe if you guys have 500 point list that can be build upon I'd like to see it!

+++  (Age of Sigmar) [940pts] +++

+ Leader [300pts] +

Lord-Arcanum [180pts]: General
. Categories: CELESTIAL, ORDER, STORMCAST ETERNALS, HUMAN, HERO, SACROSANCT, WIZARD, LORD-ARCANUM, Leader, General

Lord-Veritant [120pts]
. Categories: CELESTIAL, HUMAN, HERO, LORD-VERITANT, PRIEST, ORDER, STORMCAST ETERNALS, Leader

+ Artillery [100pts] +

Celestar Ballista [100pts]
. Categories: CELESTIAL, HUMAN, ORDER, CELESTAR BALLISTA, SACROSANCT, STORMCAST ETERNALS, WAR MACHINE, ORDINATOS, Artillery

+ Battleline [240pts] +

Sequitors [120pts]: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield
. Categories: CELESTIAL, HUMAN, ORDER, SACROSANCT, STORMCAST ETERNALS, SEQUITORS, REDEEMER, Battleline

Sequitors [120pts]: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield
. Categories: CELESTIAL, HUMAN, ORDER, SACROSANCT, STORMCAST ETERNALS, SEQUITORS, REDEEMER, Battleline

+ Other [300pts] +

Evocators on Celestial Dracolines [300pts]: 3 Evocators on Celestial Dracolines
. Categories: CELESTIAL, HUMAN, ORDER, SACROSANCT, STORMCAST ETERNALS, WIZARD, EVOCATORS, CORPUSCANT, DRACOLINE, Other.

I figured that the Ballista would provide shotty support while the Seq move up the board. The evocator would be good for the charges or if I need them too, grab the objective. Thoughts on the list or ways to improve it?

Edited by Spikeboybebop

Hey guys,

I’m curious what you all think is the strongest 1000 point army Stormcast can put together? I know that balance can be a bit whack at that points level but it seems to be the most common game at my local. 

I’m leaning towards this but I think it really lacks the shooting power that is needed to deal with killing hero units and helping to clear hordes, as well as effective supporting heroes...

Lord Arcanum on Gryphcharger (General) - 240pts

10 Sequitors - 240pts

5 Sequitors - 120pts

10 Evocators - 400pts

I have other hero’s I could put in (Gav, Heraldor, Ordinator, Relictor, Incantor and Lord Celestant on Dracoth), and could swap in two groups of 5 Libs for battleline. I Also have 6 Longstrikes or 3 Balistae I could swap in for 5 of the Evos. 

From the games I’ve played 5 Evos Struggle with survivabikity which is why I lean towards 10, I’d also consider dropping the group of 10 Sequitors to 5 and adding a Castellant, but I don’t own that model atm 

18 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

Hey guys,

I’m curious what you all think is the strongest 1000 point army Stormcast can put together? I know that balance can be a bit whack at that points level but it seems to be the most common game at my local. 

I’m leaning towards this but I think it really lacks the shooting power that is needed to deal with killing hero units and helping to clear hordes, as well as effective supporting heroes...

Lord Arcanum on Gryphcharger (General) - 240pts

10 Sequitors - 240pts

5 Sequitors - 120pts

10 Evocators - 400pts

I have other hero’s I could put in (Gav, Heraldor, Ordinator, Relictor, Incantor and Lord Celestant on Dracoth), and could swap in two groups of 5 Libs for battleline. I Also have 6 Longstrikes or 3 Balistae I could swap in for 5 of the Evos. 

From the games I’ve played 5 Evos Struggle with survivabikity which is why I lean towards 10, I’d also consider dropping the group of 10 Sequitors to 5 and adding a Castellant, but I don’t own that model atm 

Against an army who can summon or even just someone with a good number of regiments you’re going to lose every time in objective scenarios and you can’t even compete in the Hero Objective one.

You’d have to be against a bad opponent to not just get totally outmanoeuvred because you have no way of getting into favourable combat easily, which is Evocators biggest issue in particular 

Shoot heavy anvils I reckon

Lord Ordinator

Knight Heraldor

4 x Ballistae 

3 x 5 Sequitors

Ballistae target most dangerous stuff per turn with LO Buff

Knight Heraldor to finish off small units and Heroes with Horn and facilitate counter charges 

One Sequitor to Shield Ballistae, 2 to hold Objectives. 5 Sequitors at 100 points are going to be stalwart against most things and you just kill the stuff that would be an issue to them otherwise beforehand.

Just deploy far back as possible, pick stuff off at a distance then massacre as they close in.

Edited by Nos

56 minutes ago, Nos said:

Against an army who can summon or even just someone with a good number of regiments you’re going to lose every time in objective scenarios and you can’t even compete in the Hero Objective one.

You’d have to be against a bad opponent to not just get totally outmanoeuvred because you have no way of getting into favourable combat easily, which is Evocators biggest issue in particular 

Shoot heavy anvils I reckon

Lord Ordinator

Knight Heraldor

4 x Ballistae 

3 x 5 Sequitors

Ballistae target most dangerous stuff per turn with LO Buff

Knight Heraldor to finish off small units and Heroes with Horn and facilitate counter charges 

One Sequitor to Shield Ballistae, 2 to hold Objectives. 5 Sequitors at 100 points are going to be stalwart against most things and you just kill the stuff that would be an issue to them otherwise beforehand.

Just deploy far back as possible, pick stuff off at a distance then massacre as they close in.

In a 1000 point game you can only have 2 Artillery pieces, and the sequitors can only be battleline with a Lord Arcanum as General. Unless I’m missing something?

1 hour ago, Kelsicle said:

In a 1000 point game you can only have 2 Artillery pieces, and the sequitors can only be battleline with a Lord Arcanum as General. Unless I’m missing something?

No you’re quite right, I went off at the deep end!  Not made a 1000 point list for a while!

In which case Swap 2 Ballistae and Heraldor for Lord Arcanum and another 5 Sequitors, I still think that’s going to be a great all-comers list.

The most outrageous OP (and legal! Ahem) 1000 points option is probably lots of Dracoths with minimal Liberator Battleline. Something like Celestial Vindicators to give them extra attacks with re-roll 1 on the charge, not much going to be left after that.

Edited by Nos

Well, according to the community new post, sequitor get nerfed a little bit.  Now, in your opponent's combat phase, if he have some units can attack at the start of the combat phase, he can actually attack your sequitor before you declare them to be defensive(charge the shield). This is because in his turn he use all his "at the start of combat phase" ability or attack before you use yours.

6 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Well, according to the community new post, sequitor get nerfed a little bit.  Now, in your opponent's combat phase, if he have some units can attack at the start of the combat phase, he can actually attack your sequitor before you declare them to be defensive(charge the shield). This is because in his turn he use all his "at the start of combat phase" ability or attack before you use yours.

Ha, nice catch :)

I really apologise if this has been asked and answered multiple times, but search failed me big time.

Does deployment in Azyr for Skyborne Slayers somehow circumvent the 1 for 1 restrictions of deployment in Azyr for Scions of the Storm?

eg: the Slayers can deploy in Azyr, and then the REST of the army is subject to the 1-on-the-ground and 1-in-Azyr restrictions?

38 minutes ago, Roark said:

I really apologise if this has been asked and answered multiple times, but search failed me big time.

Does deployment in Azyr for Skyborne Slayers somehow circumvent the 1 for 1 restrictions of deployment in Azyr for Scions of the Storm?

eg: the Slayers can deploy in Azyr, and then the REST of the army is subject to the 1-on-the-ground and 1-in-Azyr restrictions?

Given the way the Allegiance ability and that is worded I'd say both yes and no. The allegiance ability limited is worded against "the Celestial Realm" not against using itself. As in, skyborne slayers count towards the allegiance limit but the allegiance limit doesn't effect skyborne slayers. So you could put 3 units on the table, 3 in the Celestial Realm and then the Skyborne in the Celestial realms. You couldn't though put the Skyborne in the Celestial realm then 3 on the table and 3 in the Celestial Realm.

That's my interpretation at least.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

As if I needed another reason not to use Sequitors 😂

Edited by PJetski

16 hours ago, Nos said:

No you’re quite right, I went off at the deep end!  Not made a 1000 point list for a while!

In which case Swap 2 Ballistae and Heraldor for Lord Arcanum and another 5 Sequitors, I still think that’s going to be a great all-comers list.

The most outrageous OP (and legal! Ahem) 1000 points option is probably lots of Dracoths with minimal Liberator Battleline. Something like Celestial Vindicators to give them extra attacks with re-roll 1 on the charge, not much going to be left after that.

I'm a very high win percentage with my Stardrake 1000 point list.

Lord Celestant on Stardrake (Smouldering Helm or Ignax's Scales)
Lord Castellant
Knight-Incantor (Azyrite Halo) or Lord-Relictor (Translocation)

Liberators
Liberators

Smouldering Helm + Incantor gives a bunch of reflecting mortal wounds, Relictor + Scales gives more durability. Either way, most things in the game can't deal with a Stardrake at 1000 points, though I guess if you hit double Thundertusk you might have a bad day.

You could also do something really mean like:

Gavriel Sureheart
Castellant
Knight Vexillor

Liberators
Liberators

20x Sequitors
Hunting Hound (lol 20 points)

940/1000 (+1 CP)

Guess what stands up to 20 auto-charging Sequitors at 1k? Nothing. Or swap the Sequitors for 10 Evocators, get much of the same effect but potentially lose more friends.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I'm a very high win percentage with my Stardrake 1000 point list.

Lord Celestant on Stardrake (Smouldering Helm or Ignax's Scales)
Lord Castellant
Knight-Incantor (Azyrite Halo) or Lord-Relictor (Translocation)

Liberators
Liberators

Smouldering Helm + Incantor gives a bunch of reflecting mortal wounds, Relictor + Scales gives more durability. Either way, most things in the game can't deal with a Stardrake at 1000 points, though I guess if you hit double Thundertusk you might have a bad day.

You could also do something really mean like:

Gavriel Sureheart
Castellant
Knight Vexillor

Liberators
Liberators

20x Sequitors
Hunting Hound (lol 20 points)

940/1000 (+1 CP)

Guess what stands up to 20 auto-charging Sequitors at 1k? Nothing. Or swap the Sequitors for 10 Evocators, get much of the same effect but potentially lose more friends.

Far superior to my suggestions! I bow to your deviousness