AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, Black Blade said:

I guess I'm being blinded by my own experiences here. I have a pretty casual matched play scene at my the shops I play at. We are competitive but casual; maybe 1 or 2 guys is a try hard like you're mentioning with Nagash and MW spam etc. but we just refuse to play them. I realize now your experience is probably different than mine so by all means do what you need to survive in that situation. Take 4 Ballista, an Ordinator AND an Azyros and then take Anvils Host and fire them off more times than you're normally allowed to shoot in a turn. Good luck to you.

Actually, ballista doesn't work well with the  Anvils Host. One ballista is a unit, they will just consume too much CP. If you want to try Anvils Host, I have some recommendation. If your opponent is Nighthaunt, bring 9 raptor with hurraicane in one unit. They have 81 4+4+ shoots after they stand still. They are expensive(420), but they still outperform everyone else in Stormcast even taking unit points against Nighthaunt. But it perform not so good against the other races. You can also try Anvils host with raptors with longstrike, they are really good at snipping enemy hq from a very far distance(better than ballista outside 18').   For other stormcast shooting units, catigators and judicator perform almost the same after taking unit points into consideration.  Prosecutor with javelin, if standing 9' away out from thetarget, actually outperform both catigator and judicator if considering points. 

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

7 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Actually, ballista doesn't work well with the  Anvils Host. One ballista is a unit, they will just consume too much CP. If you want to try Anvils Host, I have some recommendation. If your opponent is Nighthaunt, bring 9 raptor with hurraicane in one unit. They have 81 4+4+ shoots after they stand still. They are expensive(420), but they still outperform everyone else in Stormcast even taking unit points against Nighthaunt. But it perform not so good against the other races. You can also try Anvils host with raptors with longstrike, they are really good at snipping enemy hq from a very far distance(better than ballista outside 18').   For other stormcast shooting units, catigators and judicator perform almost the same after taking unit points into consideration.  Prosecutor with javelin, if standing 9' away out from thetarget, actually outperform both catigator and judicator if considering points. 

Appreciate your advice but the whole point of the convo you were quoting into was about how to abuse Ballistas specifically against Nagash/MW/spam armies. I was giving him the best scenarios for using that unit.

So tomorrow is the store birthday in my local GW and I plan to drop a decent amount of money for the freebies. TBH I'm struggling to decide what to actually get.

I'll definitely get some wound markers, a painting handle and a couple of new paints but I'm not sure about the rest. There is a PDF attached with all of my current figures. Maybe someone could give me some input about a good upgrade to my army.

Things I've thought about:

-Getting a Celestant prime because I like the figure and although he doesnt seem very viable I do enjoy the power fantasy behind it.
-Getting 2 more ballista and Ordinator

-another box of evocators and/or sequitors (I´ve bought the soul wars box and another 8 from ebay so I'm missing a couple of greathammers)
-gavriel/vexillor for gavbomb lists

Any thoughts?

FullArmy.pdf

On 11/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, IRifter said:

So tomorrow is the store birthday in my local GW and I plan to drop a decent amount of money for the freebies. TBH I'm struggling to decide what to actually get.

I'll definitely get some wound markers, a painting handle and a couple of new paints but I'm not sure about the rest. There is a PDF attached with all of my current figures. Maybe someone could give me some input about a good upgrade to my army.

Things I've thought about:

-Getting a Celestant prime because I like the figure and although he doesnt seem very viable I do enjoy the power fantasy behind it.
-Getting 2 more ballista and Ordinator

-another box of evocators and/or sequitors (I´ve bought the soul wars box and another 8 from ebay so I'm missing a couple of greathammers)
-gavriel/vexillor for gavbomb lists

Any thoughts?

FullArmy.pdf

I think the malign sorcery box would be fun for you,. Also some Dracothian Guard to go with your mounted celestants.

I would like to ask you lovely folks about the Lord Castellant's lantern. If I shine my lantern on a friendly multi wound unit and then make some saves with said unit do I have to roll each save individually? I ask because if I roll each save individually I can fail one, allocate the wound, then roll a 6 later which would save that wound and heal the previous wound allocated.

Can I just roll all the saves at once and just let any 6's save 2 wounds?

2 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

I would like to ask you lovely folks about the Lord Castellant's lantern. If I shine my lantern on a friendly multi wound unit and then make some saves with said unit do I have to roll each save individually? I ask because if I roll each save individually I can fail one, allocate the wound, then roll a 6 later which would save that wound and heal the previous wound allocated.

Can I just roll all the saves at once and just let any 6's save 2 wounds?

We had a discussion about this several pages back. The wounds aren’t allocated until after all saves from a unit are made, so you heal nothing, unless the models started with a wound already. If you have models with 1 wound to start, 1 6 save would cancel out 1 failed save only.

• Thanks 1

Hi all!

I haven’t played that many games so I’m not super on all the rules, so bear with me.

Is there a way to combine a Hammers of Sigmar host with Staunch Defender? I’m asking because I get completely run over by Rotbringers. I can’t win a straight up fight, if I win it’s by playing the objective - hard. 

Also I just painted my Lord Castellant. So what I’m really looking for are synergies.

Any tips are welcome. I believe I have a lot  (liberators, hunters, Palladors, judicators, paladins, prosecutors, celestant prime, questor, celestant, relictor etc),  from 1.0 except like Dracothian rider dudes, gryph hounds and long strike dudes  and nothing from 2.0 except the Stormcasts from the new starter set. 

I have tried searching the forums but can’t wrap my head around search terms with spaces... ie “Hammers of Sigmar”.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Short answer is no.  If you are taking a Stormhost then you HAVE to use the command trait associated with the one you choose.   Stacking things to a 2+ is nice but bumping a 4+ to a 3+ is still really big, especially on things with rerolls.  Also, and Drachoth units would become a 2+ so you could load up a unit of 4-6 and make the best out of the Castellant's lantern.

6 hours ago, Slaktor said:

Hi all!

I haven’t played that many games so I’m not super on all the rules, so bear with me.

Is there a way to combine a Hammers of Sigmar host with Staunch Defender? I’m asking because I get completely run over by Rotbringers. I can’t win a straight up fight, if I win it’s by playing the objective - hard. 

Also I just painted my Lord Castellant. So what I’m really looking for are synergies.

Any tips are welcome. I believe I have a lot  (liberators, hunters, Palladors, judicators, paladins, prosecutors, celestant prime, questor, celestant, relictor etc),  from 1.0 except like Dracothian rider dudes, gryph hounds and long strike dudes  and nothing from 2.0 except the Stormcasts from the new starter set. 

I have tried searching the forums but can’t wrap my head around search terms with spaces... ie “Hammers of Sigmar”.

Any suggestions are welcome!

2.0 units should help you with the killing, especially evocators and if you wanna be extra nasty get blobs of 20 sequitors and buff them with castellant :) 

Thanks guys! I’ll look into the Evocators and try to play the Hammers of Sigmars strengths then - which I view to be the Redeemer units. 

I’m thinking several 5 man strong units to make the most out of the ability. 

Edit: Instead of focusing too much on Staunch Defender that is. 

Edited by Slaktor

Please excuse the basic questions but in relation to the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost and in particular if the very unpleasant (as an opponent) Soul of the Stormhost roll succeeds, do the SCE eternals have to have another unit on the board for this ability to be used?

On the weekend I wiped my opponents SCE army but he rolled a 6 using this ability to get 10 liberators back and finish me off. 

In reading the rules, it has this wording: when a friendly hammers of sigmar redeemer unit (includes liberators) is destroyed, roll a dice; on a 5+ you may return it to the battlefield 9" away from enemy models.

The confusion comes from the words 'friendly unit' which to me could indicate that you need another unit on the board for it to work or am I reading this wrong? We couldn't find much in the book to clarify this. 

The second thing is the 'Redeemer' unit. Does this ability only work on Liberators, Sequitors and steelheart champions?

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Please excuse the basic questions but in relation to the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost and in particular if the very unpleasant (as an opponent) Soul of the Stormhost roll succeeds, do the SCE eternals have to have another unit on the board for this ability to be used?

On the weekend I wiped my opponents SCE army but he rolled a 6 using this ability to get 10 liberators back and finish me off. 

In reading the rules, it has this wording: when a friendly hammers of sigmar redeemer unit (includes liberators) is destroyed, roll a dice; on a 5+ you may return it to the battlefield 9" away from enemy models.

The confusion comes from the words 'friendly unit' which to me could indicate that you need another unit on the board for it to work or am I reading this wrong? We couldn't find much in the book to clarify this. 

The second thing is the 'Redeemer' unit. Does this ability only work on Liberators, Sequitors and steelheart champions?

I had a similar question come up in one of my games in regards to whether or not you needed a hero on the board in order to use the ability, as generally command abilities are enacted by a hero that’s actually on the table.

18 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I had a similar question come up in one of my games in regards to whether or not you needed a hero on the board in order to use the ability, as generally command abilities are enacted by a hero that’s actually on the table.

That is another thing which I did not consider. For example, I lost 'hold the line' as soon as I lost my general (Free Guild).

Those command abilities, however, do specify that you need a model with the command ability in range X, which the hammers ability does not. So in my mind you don't need another unit on the field, moreso not a hero because that would be stated as such in the rule.

14 hours ago, Slaktor said:

Thanks guys! I’ll look into the Evocators and try to play the Hammers of Sigmars strengths then - which I view to be the Redeemer units. 

I’m thinking several 5 man strong units to make the most out of the ability. 

Edit: Instead of focusing too much on Staunch Defender that is. 

Hey,

don't do 5 man strong Sequitors they really suck and will die on you before they can even counterattack in most cases. Do squads of 10 or 20, 20 for maximum frustration with your opponent :) Sequitors with their great maces can dish out some real damage, that's why you want them so survive a first strike and always max out your great maces.

Never rely on that 5+ "gambIe to get a unit back" ability  - it is straight garbage, like the rest of the Hammers of Sigmar .

• Like 2

Theoretically 5 man Sequitors have a higher damage output per point than 10 or 15 strong squads due to more primes per unit member (i.e. extra greatmace and extra attack). But as @schwabbele  stated, 5strong squads lack the wounds to withstand a charge from any serious attackers.

Then again larger units than 10 i find very unwieldy and often times get easily outmaneuvered so you can't apply all those juicy attacks. I find 10 is the sweetspot.

Edited by Lucur
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Lucur said:

Those command abilities, however, do specify that you need a model with the command ability in range X, which the hammers ability does not. So in my mind you don't need another unit on the field, moreso not a hero because that would be stated as such in the rule.

Pg 233   "If you have any HEROES in you army, you can use command abilities." Having a HERO is the first condition for using Command abilities. 

• Like 1