AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey all just wanted to get some help with a couple of things as I’m getting a box of Sequitors and a box of  Evocators. 

First how should I arm them? I’m going to be splitting the Sequitors up into two units of 5 is there much of a difference between sword or Maul? What about the Evocators? I read a mix unit is best is that true?

Regarding the Hallowed Knights is everyone in agreement on here that even friendly spells need to be rolled for because of the ability Only the Faithful? If that is the way well that will suck because they are my favourite Stormhost and I will need to rethink who I’m going to go with. Who would you all choose? Side not I’m not interested in the Hammers of Sigmar way over done. Just wished GW spread out the character love to some of the other Stormhosts.

Just in case anyone wanted to know what my list was going to look like. My first 1000 Pts will be

Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

Knight Incantor

2x5  Sequitors

5 Judicators with bows

5 Evocators 

Thanks  for any help

I haven't factored in the possibility of rerolls, but without them, the sequitors are a little bit better off with the sword and the max. number of greatmauls, the evocators do better with the grand staves. In both cases the difference isn't too big, but it's there.

I don't know if everyone agrees on the Hallowed Knights, but it reads like this to me and that is rather sad.

List looks good for a 1k game.

7 hours ago, Callidan said:

Hey all just wanted to get some help with a couple of things as I’m getting a box of Sequitors and a box of  Evocators. 

First how should I arm them? I’m going to be splitting the Sequitors up into two units of 5 is there much of a difference between sword or Maul? What about the Evocators? I read a mix unit is best is that true?

Regarding the Hallowed Knights is everyone in agreement on here that even friendly spells need to be rolled for because of the ability Only the Faithful? If that is the way well that will suck because they are my favourite Stormhost and I will need to rethink who I’m going to go with. Who would you all choose? Side not I’m not interested in the Hammers of Sigmar way over done. Just wished GW spread out the character love to some of the other Stormhosts.

Just in case anyone wanted to know what my list was going to look like. My first 1000 Pts will be

Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

Knight Incantor

2x5  Sequitors

5 Judicators with bows

5 Evocators 

Thanks  for any help

I did the math for Sequitors the other day and mauls/swords are nearly even unless you are rerolling wounds, then swords pull slightly ahead. This may make swords more optimal in a large unit, but you would have a hard time getting them all in combat anyway. Feel free to use whichever one you prefer.

For Evocators a lot of people favor the increased range and damage of the staves. Typically I would go for rend over damage, but a 2" range means they can attack over a 40mm base, and with Nighthaunt and a rend immunity artefacts running around damage might be the way to go. Haven't done the math yet but I've heard the staves come out ahead.

Edited by Lexalopolis

Hey guys,

I would appreciate any comments, thoughts and constructive criticism in the ''core'' of my list below, I have good results so far(9 wins-1 loss from LoN), I just want some opinions/thoughts on the matter of unit selection or anything else.

LCoSD

Castellant

Incantor

Incantor

5xJudicators

5xJudicators

5xLiberators

Comet

That clocks at 1460. For the leftover pts(540) I was thinking the following options;

a) LAoT

2xBallistas

b) LAoT

5xEvocators

c) 10xEvocators

swap Libi's for another Judi unit

Cogs and 20pts triumph

d) - your option :)

First version of the list was with 4xFulminators, and second was with Prime+Relictor. While it performed good, it was something that I didn't like/felt wrong. Someone in another thread stated that ''units win games'' - well, that's something very debatable for me, for my pov and for my playing group.  GUO + Rotigus win games, LoC+Kairos win games,  Allariele + Ancient win games, and some other examples - but I believe you get my point. Now, maybe this is not the thing with SC, OR maybe this is not the thing anymore for the others. And mind me, I don't want to create a list such as this(double Behemoth char and go), is just that I don't want to hop on the train of ''20xSequitors + 10xEvocators + Gavriel = win''.  Things have changed in this ''Alpha Strike meta edition'' as it seems, I'm just not sure  yet if the answer to everything is more bodies/wounds and alpha-strike to death.

I would really appreciate to see any of your comments and thoughts in the core/options of my list and anything else. 

1 hour ago, Lexalopolis said:

For Evocators a lot of people favor the increased range and damage of the staves. Typically I would go for rend over damage, but a 2" range means they can attack over a 40mm base, and with Nighthaunt and a rend immunity artefacts running around damage might be the way to go. Haven't done the math yet but I've heard the staves come out ahead.

The rend only factors in if you are fighting a target with a 2+ Save. At 3+ they are even, at 4+ or worse the grandstaves come out on top (no rerolls factored in).

1 hour ago, Gottkaiser said:

The rend only factors in if you are fighting a target with a 2+ Save. At 3+ they are even, at 4+ or worse the grandstaves come out on top (no rerolls factored in).

Thanks for the info! That would generally make the staves the better option then. The additional range definitely helps too.

14 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

Yes - if it's not a shooting attack (aka does not have a ranged weapon profile on the warscroll), then it's not restricted by running/retreating. 

That increases the range of the Heraldor trumpet greatly.

With Thermalrider cloak he can move 9+1d6 flying then pick terrain wholy within 18. Neat ?

1 hour ago, Lexalopolis said:

Thanks for the info! That would generally make the staves the better option then. The additional range definitely helps too.

They are worse against 4+ or better with rerolls though.

I think a 50:50 split is probably best for an all comers list.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AdamR said:

I'm using 2 sword 3 stave.  Almost guaranteed to get all your attacks in.  Between high damage, rend and mortals, you've got a solution for every problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdamR said:

You mean if the opponent gets a reroll to the armour save? Are there that many units doing that, apart from Fyreslayers?

And on the other hand, the Grandstaves are better against units with an immunity against rend, like Nighthaunt

I think it's fairly safe to say both have their merits. 
However one could argue wether to take 2 units with one weapon type each or mix them up. 
That's assuming we'll field cleansing phalanx and hence 2 units of Evocators.

Edited by Rachmani

14 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I'm using 2 sword 3 stave.  Almost guaranteed to get all your attacks in.  Between high damage, rend and mortals, you've got a solution for every problem.

Heh, ditto. I'm doing 4 sword 6 stave (and Staunch Defender... and Warding Lantern...)

What's the consensus on Castigators and Palladors? I've seen a lot of talk on Sequitors and Evocators in lists, so I can already tell they have some powerful options - some write-ups on the others would help a new SCE player out a lot.

edit: I'd love someone forever if they could give a write-up on basic kits for units, to be completely honest. Unlike the Fyreslayers I gave to a friend for his SCE, I'm not used to having a few dozen selections in the book... I'm used to the same 90 naked dwarf models. The SCE units really have me scratching my head on what is good and what may be a trap for my wallet.

Edited by Apologetic Canadian

1 hour ago, CountryMou3e said:

How are people finding stardrakes in AoS 2? Mirrored cuirass and throw it forward seem like a good shout. I feel there’s defo a place for them in lists even with the sacrosanct hotness floating about now 

Agree completely.

I'm currently toying with a list like this for the GT finals 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Not sure what to spend the last 100 on yet - maybe a second castellant, or a translocating relictor to help with it's slowness. Or a ballista for some shooting. Or skinks...

Or I could swap out the Arcanum for an Incantor and another Liberator Squad. Lets me put Staunch on the Stardrake and gives me an auto unbind for when Nagash tries to Hand of Dust the big dragon.

31 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Agree completely.

I'm currently toying with a list like this for the GT finals 

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 119

Not sure what to spend the last 100 on yet - maybe a second castellant, or a translocating relictor to help with it's slowness. Or a ballista for some shooting. Or skinks...

Or I could swap out the Arcanum for an Incantor and another Liberator Squad. Lets me put Staunch on the Stardrake and gives me an auto unbind for when Nagash tries to Hand of Dust the big dragon.

Short of heroes I think, but that’s just me ofcourse :) 

Heres my thoughts but lacking wounds; 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass 
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Excelsior Warpriest (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- Lore of Invigoration: None
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 102

Brave and loyal fans of Sigmar - Generals and Troops I come to you with a proposition!

You might have seen the cheatsheet/reference guide that I've started recently, both for Age of Sigmar core rules and for the Daughters of Khaine faction. I'd like to invite you not just to contribute to the core rules thread (by posting in it with details and references) but also to ask if one of you might pick up the torch and manage a similar thread for Stormcast. As I don't have their battletome nor collect/play them I can't really manage such a thread with any level of quality as I can't even check basic references or such. However if one of you wants to start and help out please do - it would be a great thing not just for new players ,but for experienced ones too and can help cut down on repeat questions requiring long answers

For reference the two threads in question are:

Core rules https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19353-age-of-sigmar-reference-and-cheat-sheet-tga-project/

Daughters of Khaine Example https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19358-daughters-of-khaine-reference-and-cheat-sheet/

On 8/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, ledha said:

the stardrake is a pillow-fisted ultra resilient anvil that still die as soon as mortal wounds or rend-2 are in the fray and most of the competitive list have ways to deal with a stardrake, or tie this 560 pts monster with a 300 pts unit during the whole game. I don't think stardrake list made llot of good results this year. Against armies like ironjaw it's cool. But bring it against idoneths, khorne or tzeentch and they will nuke it in 1 turn

Hi, I've been running the Stardrake build and have won one tournament with it and podiumed at 3 others, including 2nd at Heat 2. Drake has wings, can fly. ?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Apologetic Canadian said:

What's the consensus on Castigators and Palladors? I've seen a lot of talk on Sequitors and Evocators in lists, so I can already tell they have some powerful options - some write-ups on the others would help a new SCE player out a lot.

edit: I'd love someone forever if they could give a write-up on basic kits for units, to be completely honest. Unlike the Fyreslayers I gave to a friend for his SCE, I'm not used to having a few dozen selections in the book... I'm used to the same 90 naked dwarf models. The SCE units really have me scratching my head on what is good and what may be a trap for my wallet.

Castigators are sub-par in general, you can make , palladors are better than they were but still only 'good'.

Haha, got my ass "whooped" yesterday from Ironjawz. got crushed 1st turn from 18 Gore Gruntas.

Was a interesting game, I realized how important proper deployment is :) , next time I face an alpha strike army I surely will try to deploy better and not rely too much on deep striking. 

Evocators also under performed due to sub par dice rolls and the missing -1 rend is a thing on a 4+ save enemy :/ will try 5 sword 5 staff next time. 

• Like 1