AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So as far as Battalions go, what are people thinking of including? I think there are a good amount of "easy fits" that you don't have to build around. Hailstorm Battery jumps out to me as a good pocket of shooting for models that are worth bringing anyways.

Grand Convocation is a bit more expensive (you might not want 4 Wizards, seems a bit overkill), but not bad by any means. Making any spell casting easier is a blessing, and you have 3 good Heroes to put that extra Artifact on. Lords of the Storm changed to just a 4+ to get an extra CP with the same restrictions, which does kinda suck, but again a good way to get extra stuff and less drops.

Vanguard Justicar Conclave won out a lot in this book. Hurricanes got a lot better and Aetherwings went down, as well as the Battalion itself dropping in points. 2x3 Longstrikes + 3 Hurricanes is cheap and is enough shooting to be threatening, especially with the reroll 1s.

2 minutes ago, jobume said:

Does anyone know if the Skyborne Slayers has changed?

Not that anyone's seen. It's still a big chunk of your army but the best way to deliver Protectors.

Do keep in mind that there is a mission that does not allow any Reserves though, so the Battalion basically becomes useless if you play that mission. 

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

So as far as Battalions go, what are people thinking of including? I think there are a good amount of "easy fits" that you don't have to build around. Hailstorm Battery jumps out to me as a good pocket of shooting for models that are worth bringing anyways.

Grand Convocation is a bit more expensive (you might not want 4 Wizards, seems a bit overkill), but not bad by any means. Making any spell casting easier is a blessing, and you have 3 good Heroes to put that extra Artifact on. Lords of the Storm changed to just a 4+ to get an extra CP with the same restrictions, which does kinda suck, but again a good way to get extra stuff and less drops.

Vanguard Justicar Conclave won out a lot in this book. Hurricanes got a lot better and Aetherwings went down, as well as the Battalion itself dropping in points. 2x3 Longstrikes + 3 Hurricanes is cheap and is enough shooting to be threatening, especially with the reroll 1s.

Not that anyone's seen. It's still a big chunk of your army but the best way to deliver Protectors.

Do keep in mind that there is a mission that does not allow any Reserves though, so the Battalion basically becomes useless if you play that mission. 

Thanks! If the battalion still gives army wide battleshock immunity, it is still 'okay' in that scenario I think. Not good of course, but okay. I'm a really slow builder and painter and I just finished building and priming my Skyborne. I really hope they are still a good choice.

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Personally not 100% sold on the battalions so far, you make a good case for Justicar Conclave though. I still think that most competitive Stormcast lists will just not bother with using any

1 minute ago, jobume said:

Thanks! If the battalion still gives army wide battleshock immunity, it is still 'okay' in that scenario I think. Not good of course, but okay. I'm a really slow builder and painter and I just finished building and priming my Skyborne. I really hope they are still a good choice.

They'll probably still be a good choice. Really lowers the drop count of your army, and you're right about Battleshock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

Pretty good for MSU holding/harassing. For the price of 5 Judicators, you get 6 Castigators. They miss out on the Shockbolt Bow, but they get their buffs (Rend -2 is really good), and if they split up into 2 units of 3, get 2 Primes and can split up on the board with the new Scions.

Judicators get the boost of being Battleline and having the very swingy Shockbolt bow, but if you've got those 80-160 points at the end of list building, they are great harasser units that can chip down Heroes with Rend -2 and jump on Objectives for cheap.

I ran the numbers and Castigators are worse than Judicators against almost every target. They only get the bonus of having more wounds per point and being cheap at min-size. Bit what are 3 shots going to achieve except being anoying? I can't find the place for such a weak unit which doesn't help me fill battleline. A Celestar Ballista is marginally more expensive and more desirable.

Once again GW messed a new unit.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Nah. His spell is: 6+, pick an enemy unit within 18" and it has -1 to hit rolls. Pretty strong.

Command Ability: When an Endless Spell within 12" of him moves, he can add d6" to the movement. Not great at all. 

Do you remember the spell and CA if the generic Arcanum on Tauralon?

I would love to field one but I was counting on them being the same as the LAoGC.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

You have to look inside the easy to build Sequitors. They have the Redeemer Keyword.

I will do it like this i think,

Arkanum on foot

Drakesworn Templar

Castellant

2x5 Judicators

1x20 Sequitors

2x2 Fulminators

chronomatic Coggs

and go for a Stormhost, im not sure which one but Vindicators look very good for this list.

Could potentially swap out the Judicators for a unit of 5 Sequitors and a unit of 5 liberators and use the extra 100 points saved for a ballista? Then you have a nice long range objective camper with the ballista and a couple smaller melee combat units to support where needed

Edited by JonnyTheKing

Currently debating on whether to build my drake kit as a Drakesworn or Lord celestant on Stardrake. To really take full advantage of the Stardrake you do need to buff his armour to fully destroy with the mortal wound reflects, healing  and save durability. But this would come to 660 points to do this compare, whereas the Drakesworn is only 460 and doesn't really require any buffs to boost its effectiveness. Thoughts?

Comparing Evocators to Protectors makes Protectors look pretty weak. Evocators are +1M, +1 Bravery, +1 Attack, same MW output, and they are wizards. They don't have the -1 shooting effect but I think they are a much stronger choice than Protectors.

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

I ran the numbers and Castigators are worse than Judicators against almost every target. They only get the bonus of having more wounds per point and being cheap at min-size. Bit what are 3 shots going to achieve except being anoying? I can't find the place for such a weak unit which doesn't help me fill battleline. A Celestar Ballista is marginally more expensive and more desirable.

Once again GW messed a new unit.

Eh, I'm assuming that's really skewed by Shockbolt Bow, which is probably just too good lol. The real bonus of Judicators is Battleline, the damage is within like a wound against pretty much every target. 

I think they're fine. Judis will see more table time, but nothing is wrong with Castigators, especially if you're using the Arcanum buff on them or taking one of the Battalions they're in.

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

Do you remember the spell and CA if the generic Arcanum on Tauralon?

I would love to field one but I was counting on them being the same as the LAoGC.

CA is Sacrosanct within 18" get +2" to runs.

Spell is pick a point 12", anything within 3" of that point takes a MW on a 4+. 6+ to cast.

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

CA is Sacrosanct within 18" get +2" to runs.

Spell is pick a point 12", anything within 3" of that point takes a MW on a 4+. 6+ to cast.

That sounds awful. There goes (almost) my plans to get it.

With Scions, how much are we supposed to run around foot-slogging? Situational and weak. The spell is also less desirable than almost any featured in the Lore of Storms.

Possible last nail in the coffin: does he only get a single casting per turn (as opposed to Aventis?)

39 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

That sounds awful. There goes (almost) my plans to get it.

With Scions, how much are we supposed to run around foot-slogging? Situational and weak. The spell is also less desirable than almost any featured in the Lore of Storms.

Possible last nail in the coffin: does he only get a single casting per turn (as opposed to Aventis?)

He's a 2 cast Wizard. I think he'll be quite good, honestly. Spell isn't amazing but still a beefy Hero that casts 2. Give him Ethereal Pendant from Shyish and now he's a big 3+ ignore rend dude who can cast Mystic Shield on himself. 

31 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Does anyone knows the rules of Evocators on Dracoline? I believe 200 points? 3 models? 5 wounds?

300 for 3, 5 wounds each. 

Since the spoilers I have been thinking about an AoE mortal wounds list, using a Celestian Prime on 1rst turn as a meteorite-cannon (hi auto 6" radius D3 mortal wounds), the actual Everblaze comet endless spell and the Stardrake's rain of stars.

At 2000 points the list would be something like:

• Drakesworn templar with the artefact of death that ignores rend
  • Celestial Prime
  • Lord-Arcanum on foot as general
  • 2x Knight-Incantor
  • Lord-Exorcist
  • 3x Sequitors
  • Everblaze comet
  • Grand convocation batallion

Either Celestial Warbringers for +1 to cast CP or none for Staunch Defender and another artifact, all 4 wizards have 2+ to cast (Drake and batallion), Drake can get mystic shield and tank normal wounds, get healed with Lord-Arcanum, tons of AoE with frasks/spells... little body count though, but might be fun. Might be better without the Grand convocation battalion and the extra wizards for more bodies.

Another one would be a mele-based army with the Evocator-Sequitors batallion:

• Lord-Arcanum on gryph-charger
  • Knight-Incantor
  • 10 Sequitors x2
  • 5 Sequitors
  • 2 Evocators
  • Lord-Relictor with Translocation
  • 2 Ballistas
  • Chronomatic cogs (for speed)
  • Evocators battallion

Maybe tempest lords to spam CP on the auto-Evocator spell so make the Sequitors reroll everything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

How do they compare to units like Varanguard at 280 (who have a 3+)?  

Hopefully they're worth the price cause I love those damn models. 

I don't know what their save is, either 3+ or 4+. Probably 3+ but no confirmation. 

I think they're... ok. They hit alright, especially on the charge, they get reroll saves of 1 against shooting, same MW thing and spell as foot Evocators. 

Honestly I just think 300 is too much for them. For 100 per model, I expect Hero level power. And they're pretty good, a good bodyguard for Mounted Heroes. But Palladors are 100 points cheaper, and while they do way less damage, they have just as many wounds and have some good tricks. 400 points gives you 6 Palladors, which just feels a bit better to me. 

Which of this lists do you think is better for competive games, i want to build one of this three but im not sure which one will be the best.

List 1:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Arkanum (180)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

List 2:

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Arkanum (180)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)
20 x Sequitors (400)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 107

List 3:

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 96

Either list 1 or 2.

I would prefeer the 1rst, as the 2nd has 2 really big units which are the obvious threats of the army, and could be debuffed (for example geminids) or targeted without muchmagic defense units (for example the incantor's dispell scroll).

Here is my planned initial 2e army, has a lot of MW output and solid amount of wounds and attacks to deal with

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Arcanum  (180)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 113

6 hours ago, Requizen said:

He's a 2 cast Wizard. I think he'll be quite good, honestly. Spell isn't amazing but still a beefy Hero that casts 2. Give him Ethereal Pendant from Shyish and now he's a big 3+ ignore rend dude who can cast Mystic Shield on himself. 

Well, 2-casts is good news. Meh spell can be solved by using Mystic, improved Arcane Bolt and one of the spells from the Lores.

Meh CA can be solved with generic CAs and Stormhost CA (in case we go down that route).

In this kind of cases in which we don't use rules that have been included in a model I feel like I'm wasting part of its points but, that's how it goes :)

I guess I will give him a try. He would have been a dream wingman to a Drakesworn with the healing spell+Cycle. On the other hand, the synergy CA from LAoGC would have tied him down to slow units.

• Like 1