AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 minutes ago, Astrella said:

What are good things to look at for getting started with Stormcast Eternals? Looking at aiming towards getting 1000 points to get going.

Start with the SCE half of Soul Wars, add Sequitors and Evocators to taste... maybe an extra Ballista or Castellant/Relictor/Heraldor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I am going to play against Nurgle this Sunday and I really want some tips and tactics against them cause the first time I played I got decimated :( 

should I use a ranged focus army ? Maybe a spell oriented ? 

Or just raw meele power ?

Depends on what you have, but I suggest you bringing Incantor to delay Blades of Putrification for at least a turn and some dedicated hero sniping unit like longstrikes, or even celestant prime to assassinate some of opponents characters. But don't take Venator for that, he is not gonna do ******.

1 minute ago, XReN said:

Depends on what you have, but I suggest you bringing Incantor to delay Blades of Putrification for at least a turn and some dedicated hero sniping unit like longstrikes, or even celestant prime to assassinate some of opponents characters. But don't take Venator for that, he is not gonna do ******.

I have them all ;) 

Just now, Namelessone81 said:

I have them all ;) 

Great!)
I'm personaly more into tournaments and universal lists so I keep refusing challeges from local nurgle player who is super competetive untill I get a lot of sacrosanct done, so that's probably all that I can suggest right now.

6 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I am thinking something like this 

but I have 120 to spare 

what say you ? 

91152466-EA51-4175-A15E-A899835333F8.png

Maybe split Evocs (unless its really important to run a unit of 10) and take cleansing phallanx, getting aditional CP and taking artefact from Hysh to restore spent CPs on 5+, I belive you will benefit from that, since you are running a really CP-hungry list.

Edited by XReN

55 minutes ago, XReN said:

Maybe split Evocs (unless its really important to run a unit of 10) and take cleansing phallanx, getting aditional CP and taking artefact from Hysh to restore spent CPs on 5+, I belive you will benefit from that, since you are running a really CP-hungry list.

I played some games with 10 evo  squad with castelants +1 save empower,mystic shield and they totally destroyed everything so I think I ll stick with the 10 for now :) 

Edited by Namelessone81

5 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I played some games with 10 evo  squad with castelants +1 save empower,mystic shield and they totally destroyed everything so I think I ll stick with the 10 for now :) 

Ok, I'd like to hear from you how the game turned out. 

20 hours ago, Barnie25 said:

Is it needed or desired to run a screen when running big stuff like Stardrakes? Would a screen of 40 Skinks be a good addition to a 2000 point list to keep the LCoSD out of unwanted combat?

Depends on your setup, if you kitted him defensively ( ignax / staunch ) id argue that few things can kill him.  If your playing more aggressive like the storm host celestial vindicators a sceen will be nice, otherwise  Knight heraldor is a perfect solution for him, dropping in and out of combat as you please. 

Id argue that skinks are a good fit in most Stormcast armies as a cheap fast large model size unit.

I have boxes of soul wars (3) and a tempest of soul. Is it worth getting rid of one of soul wars box to get one sequitor box and one evocators box? (in term of number of miniature, that gets me 31 seq and 11evo but one less balista  (3) and 5 less catigators)

Edited by GeneralZero

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have boxes of soul wars (3) and a tempest of soul. Is it worth getting rid of one of soul wars box to get one sequitor box and one evocators box? (in term of number of miniature, that gets me 31 seq and 11evo but one less balista  (3) and 5 less catigators)

Totally, same ETB miniatures are not really worth keeping in that numbers

19 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Technically. You can only make one knight encantor from the box. It is a male model with a special front fitting armor and a special 2h stave. The rest are all evocators, but you can almost turn any of them into a prime because the shoulderpads come in 2 sizes and are all interchangeable.

The poses, however, are very static. It would be very difficult to get much variety from the box. A few head swaps maybe. After that you’re basically into cutting plastic and using green stuff almost immediately.

All variations of Evocators and Incantors have this weird slightly falling over overweight thing going on. Shame they're so in vogue/useful because they look pretty dumb. Sequitors look more sorcerous and mystical than the actual wizards who look like mookish henchmen/women.

So I just had a game against a friend, and want to recant my experience and maybe improve on the list. I really like the vanguard chamber and want to keep the theme as much as possible. Plus the special snowflake in me wants to mix it up from every sacrosanct list out there. My list is as follows:

Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leader: 

Lord Aquilor - General

Lord Arcanum - either stormcaller or chainlightning

Lord Relictor - translocate

Knight Venator

Battleline:

Liberator x5 - Grandhammer on prime

Vanguard Hunters x5

Judicators x5 - bows

Artillery:

Celestar Ballista

Other: 

Vanguard Raptors w/Longstrikes x3

Vanguard Raptors w/Longstrikes x3

Vanguard Palladors w/Javelins x3

Aetherwings x3

Neave Blacktalon

Sequitors x5 - 2 greatmaces

It's a very mobile list and it does very well exploiting enemies weak spots. My friend played a Nagash list. He had Nagash, Arkhan, necromancer, 2 units of 40 skellies, 1 min unit of zombies, spell portal, geminids. We played the better part of valor which is an excellent mission for my army. I will preface it with I end up losing, but the game was a dice roll in my favor from being mine multiple times throughout. 

He out drops me and has a unit of skeletons in the graveyards. He takes first and lets loose with a flurry of spells, going infinite with curse of years on the liberators. Geminids hit my long strikes. His skeletons appear 9 inches from both long strikes but fail their charge. Nagash got a double cast of the increased movement spell and makes it to my far right objective, previously held by my aetherwings now dead. Talk about pressure. His other unit of skeletons and necromancer are holding the back middle and right objective and zombies are alone on the left (not for long). 

In my turn, his rolling is hot and arkhan lives with 5 wounds. He is on mystical terrain which is annoying. I ride the winds to his side of the table with the gryphchargers and neave. Aquilor jumps to the zombies where the hunters show up and a longstrike unit goes into the back corner of his side to shoot from safety. Sequitors also drop behind the back skeletons and necromancer. 

I proceed to win the double turn and Arkhan lives with one wound after it's all said and done (throw me a bone). The skeletons in his back all die, but the necromancer makes it. I burn both of his objectives and the hunters now hold the zombie objective. I also burn my central objective his skeletons were very close to. His turn, he hand of dusts my aquilor. Brings back the 40 man skeletons on the aetherwing objective so nagash can go fight. He ends up making two 10 inch charges which put me in a troublesome spot. Then wins the double turn. Had I won the roll. I would have won the game there. Turn three I kill arkhan and get nagash down to 1 wound (again...) but he managed to get enough skeletons around my last objective and with nagash surviving where he was, I was forced to burn the other objective early.  I was never able to recover from there. 

It was very close and there were many moments that could have swung the game. I have about 500 points I am working with that seem malleable. The relictor, as much as I like him, not sure if it works with this army. But his prayers are really good. I am iffy on the venator, but he is a pretty consistent 2-4 wounds a turn from relative safety. The ballista is similar. It's really cheap though and shoots so far, but it never really does that much. The astral templars stormhost ended up being very effective. The +1 to hit countering the debuff spell and the geminids multiple times.  I chose it figuring, most armies have monsters. And every army has heroes. 

7 minutes ago, Astrella said:

Is there an overview / description somewhere of the roles the different troop types fulfill? It's just that SEs seems to have a lot of different choices compared to other factions and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.

It's not completely 100% up to date with 2.0, but I like to use 1D4chan (search age of sigmar/tactics for the rules, otherwise you'll get the fluff pages). It is a wiki though so anyone can edit, plus many entries are possibly biased towards one persons experience rather than an amalgamation of data.

But other than that it gives a good overview of all sorts of profiles.

Edited by kenshin620

On 8/30/2018 at 9:52 AM, GeneralZero said:

the knght incantator looks really nice, the other 2 are just standart evocators.

Too bad that most of us have already too many incantators (from soul wars, from evo, from tempest of souls, from the book...). (I have 5 meaning 3 useless at least)

congrats you've got a very special unit of Grandstaff wielding, helmetless Evocators.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

@Darkrichhave you had much success with those two spells, I am experimenting lately and have not settles on what works consistently.

Honestly no. I like the idea of stormcaller. But in practice, it's hard to cast and may not do anything. Chain lightning sounds cool, but is hard to cast and only does a couple wounds in the end unless his whole army is there. I wish there were more utility spells. The fact that his arcane bolt is good and he can heal gives him flexibility, but he doesn't buff anybody. I may just take the first spell, so if he is far away, at least he can participate. The arcanum hasn't impressed me too much. His melee is ok. His defense is ok. His spell casting is ok. He has to be the general for sequitor goodness. I may end up cutting him for an incantor.

The spells we have are really bad, I think (The Evocators' lore is decent though). Stormcaller has proven quite nice for me, especially in that first turn where most of your spells won't be in range and won't have value for the first round. If you've got endless spells they tend to supersede Stormcaller but that's ok. It is a pot luck but can be very nasty.

8 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

Is there somewhere written? Cause my community haveing trouble to believe me :( 

It’s in the core rules under setting up a unit from reserves. It’s also confirmed in the FAQs a few times when talking about a few similar units. Bottom line - Scions units are a new unit being set up as a reserve unit, and thus follows the reserve rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1