AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

19 minutes ago, Sev said:

y, my bad, i just checked :) 

... and still, i'm not certain Evoc can use cogs 

Get convinced! It appears to be 100% legal (and not in a rules-twisting sort of way, but perfectly working as intended sort of way). I've never heard it interpreted as the way you presented, although I've never tried using Cogs with SCE (we have Gavriel, why bother). 

WIZARD does not refer to a model or a unit, but rather a keyword on the warscroll.

If they wanted the Cogs to be limited by the number of models in a unit they could have said "WIZARD HERO" or "a WIZARD with only one model in its unit" or something along those lines.

Dracolines and Evocators can absolutely activate the Cogs.

I thought that evo (drac or foot ) could only cast empower:

"This unit is a Wizard while it has 2 or more models. It can attempt to cast one spell in your hero phase, and attempt to unbind one spell in the enemy hero phase. It knows the Empower spell. It cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower, but any number of units of Evocators can attempt to cast Empower in the same hero phase."

Read the FAQ :)

Page 122 – Lore of Invigoration Add the following under the title: ‘Units of Evocators can know and attempt to cast one spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other spells in that hero phase.’

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I thought that evo (drac or foot ) could only cast empower:

"This unit is a Wizard while it has 2 or more models. It can attempt to cast one spell in your hero phase, and attempt to unbind one spell in the enemy hero phase. It knows the Empower spell. It cannot attempt to cast any spells other than Empower, but any number of units of Evocators can attempt to cast Empower in the same hero phase."

They can cast Empower and any spell from the Lore of Invigoration (FAQ clarified this)

They cant cast the Cogs, but the two Arcanums can.

22 minutes ago, Sev said:

Read the FAQ :)

Page 122 – Lore of Invigoration Add the following under the title: ‘Units of Evocators can know and attempt to cast one spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other spells in that hero phase.’

As in you can choose during the game or have to choose one pre-game as with all other units and factions?

9 hours ago, 123lac said:

What's everyone running for 2k games?

Planning on running this list Saturday I would appreciate critiques and criticism  to help me make changes.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
15 x Sequitors (360)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 7x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Celestian Vortex (40)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Planning on running this list Saturday I would appreciate critiques and criticism  to help me make changes.

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
15 x Sequitors (360)
- 7x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- 2x Grandstaves

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Celestian Vortex (40)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

I would cut the vortex or lifewarm and add 5 more Sequitors to your 15man blob.

Lifeswarm is underwhelming for Stormcast since it only respawns one model at best (and has a 33-66% chance of failure), especially since you already have a healing spell from your LAGC

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 2

@PJetski thanks I will do just that.

Edit: I decided to revise the list

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- 2x Grandstaves

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Edited by Black Blade

20 hours ago, ledha said:

The Stormhost are not really better than the "non stormhost" road, so you are perfectly fine if you don't pick one. Staunch defenders is still the best general trait of the army.

As the magic items, you have one in your army, and another for each warscroll bataillion. Most of the time so, only two at best. The best items are for me the mirroshield, armor of sigmarite, luckstone, spellshield, staff of focus and lantern of the tempest

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Its odd that they would have a Knight-Incantor instead of an Evocator-Prime...

I like how this easily fills the 3 Evocators from Soul Wars. Grand Convocation has no limit on Incantors, so it's not like another Incantor is a total waste.

Just use the Incantor as an Ecov Prime - they look nearly identical (longer tabard the only difference?). 

3 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Just use the Incantor as an Ecov Prime - they look nearly identical (longer tabard the only difference?). 

It's not the biggest deal, but he's also missing the Prime shoulderpad, which is the main consistent thing that marks Primes in the Stormcast range. I can't imagine any opponent making a fuss about it, but it's the sort of thing that would bother me in my own army :P

• Like 1

Just now, robinlvalentine said:

It's not the biggest deal, but he's also missing the Prime shoulderpad, which is the main consistent thing that marks Primes in the Stormcast range. I can't imagine any opponent making a fuss about it, but it's the sort of thing that would bother me in my own army :P

Good call, missed that. 

Actually, on a similar topic - people who've got the Evocator box, what are the options like for building a Knight-Incantor from that? Can you do male or female, or is it only male? Do you get some choice of how they look, or do they all come out like the one in the battletome? I've seen almost no examples of Knight-Incantors built from that box, I guess because everyone already has the other Knight-Incantor models instead 

3 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Actually, on a similar topic - people who've got the Evocator box, what are the options like for building a Knight-Incantor from that? Can you do male or female, or is it only male? Do you get some choice of how they look, or do they all come out like the one in the battletome? I've seen almost no examples of Knight-Incantors built from that box, I guess because everyone already has the other Knight-Incantor models instead 

Technically. You can only make one knight encantor from the box. It is a male model with a special front fitting armor and a special 2h stave. The rest are all evocators, but you can almost turn any of them into a prime because the shoulderpads come in 2 sizes and are all interchangeable.

The poses, however, are very static. It would be very difficult to get much variety from the box. A few head swaps maybe. After that you’re basically into cutting plastic and using green stuff almost immediately.

• Like 1