AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I am thinking that I will make a Stormkeep list that will include a unit of Dwarves and Elves. This idea is mostly to get the most of the hobby and give me some more models for tabletop RPGs. But which units do you think would make a fun addition to Stormcast?

My current list is the contents of Dominion, a unit of easy to build Sequitors and the Knight Incantor that came with the magazine in 2.0. I am probably going to round out my traditional Stormcast list with a Knight-Draconis and a ballista. In terms of city units, I am partial to the aesthetic of Shadow Warriors and Long Beards, but I do not feel either would fit well within the units I have currently.  I might do Sisters of the Watch and Irondrakes to get more shooting into my list.

36 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I am thinking that I will make a Stormkeep list that will include a unit of Dwarves and Elves. This idea is mostly to get the most of the hobby and give me some more models for tabletop RPGs. But which units do you think would make a fun addition to Stormcast?

My current list is the contents of Dominion, a unit of easy to build Sequitors and the Knight Incantor that came with the magazine in 2.0. I am probably going to round out my traditional Stormcast list with a Knight-Draconis and a ballista. In terms of city units, I am partial to the aesthetic of Shadow Warriors and Long Beards, but I do not feel either would fit well within the units I have currently.  I might do Sisters of the Watch and Irondrakes to get more shooting into my list.

Game-wise (if that's a concern, ofc) shadow warriors are a good addition to a stormkeep army to give you some way to threaten the opponent's back objectives without scions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Without any support, Sisters will deal more damage than irondrakes and be more maneuverable, in exchange for being slightly more expensive and less durable.  Additionally, sisters get a free "unleash hell" if they get charged.  However, once you start adding support, Irondrakes can surpass sisters - but to do that they need to a runelord, longbeards, and a way to get +1/+1, which is going to be hard to do in a stormkeep rather than in the cities.

Other decent options for the stormkeeps are Phoenix Guard, as with a 4+ ward they are tankier than most stormcast stuff.  That being said, with the Stormkeeps getting bonus holding objectives makes the basic stormcast battleline look fairly nice compared to the guard.  Shadow Walkers are good as a unit that can come down and take lightly defended objectives and force your opponent to hold back.  Sisters of the Thorn can be an option as a mobile cavalry/wizard unit.

Finally, hero's.  Grabbing an Annointed on Frostheart/Flamespyre can give you a really tanky fast moving monster, though they both struggle some with hitting hard.  Dreadlords on Black Dragons can also be decent as a tanky monster, though to really shine they really want to bring the Amulet of Destiny.  Griffons are another option, though again like the dreadlord they kind of want the Amulet of Destiny.  The Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage is also a really solid unit, with 2 solid damage dealing spells and a ranged attack that deals mortal wounds, all while giving itself a +1 to its cast.  That being said, do be aware that its +1 to hit bubble only affects Cities units, so it isn't going to buff your stormcast.  Finally, if you want to meme, you can bring a steam tank (or two), and the steam tanks will still be buffed by an accompanying Lord-Ordinator.

Overall, if I were to bring some cities units in a stormkeep, I would probably start by grabbing a Phoenix.  Unless you are going heavy on Stormcast fast movers, stormcast tend to be rather slow, and adding in a phoenix gives you a fast moving anvil that gives you a solid monster, and can also function in a stormcast deathstar.  Alternatively, if you do have 1 unit of fast movers (fulminators, dracolines, the new dragons), the Phoenix gives you a leader that can accompany them to help function as a fast moving hammer.

If I didn't bring a phoenix, anything else that I bring is probably going to be more for flavor than because it is really going to help the army.  In the current stormkeeps, Cities infantry provide a good option to get more bodies to hold objectives, but the new stormkeep rules that gives your basic units the ability to count as 3 on an objective make that option a bit worse than before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the advise everyone. 😇

My Stormcast Army is a ways off as I need to finish up my Beastclaw Radiers before starting it. This gives me more time to consider the various options that you have all suggested. While also giving me a chance to see the actual points for my SCE which all seem to be increasing, likely limiting my choices. Although according to the warscroll builder I can run three units from Cities with what I currently have for SCE.

@MarcvsSomehow I didn't even consider the fact that in losing Scions of the Storm how much more valuable Shadow Warriors would become. In my head it was a redundant rule, but I guess I was not considering the trade off of Stormkeeps. 
@readercolin I do really love the Phoniex model and I hadn't considered the Sisters of the Thorn which would be great as they provide a cavalry and mage option. 

I suppose a final option would be to build a Cities Army using the two Cities of Sigmar Start collecting sets and then freely borrowing between Stormcast, Dwarves and Elves in a Last Alliance styled selection of models. Although, I am already imagining how mad my partner would be if she saw that many more minis show up in our apartment. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

I'll soon play a tournament with my friend and I would like to know what you think about my army composition. Here is the faction in the tournament : Ossiarch Bonereaper, Serpahon, Lumineth, Kruleboys, Slaves to Darkness and Daughters of Khaine.

My tactic is to hold the points as firmly and efficiently as possible by being very tanky, with Yndrasta, the redeemer units reverting to 5+, the standard lichbone, and the vexxilor knight heal. The judicator pack is my 3rd battleline and allows to support and cover a good part of the map.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Yndrasta the Celestial Spear (300)*
Lord Imperatant (160)**
- General
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Knight Vexillor with Banner of Apotheosis (125)**
- Artefact: Lichbone Standard
Lord-Castellant (130)**

Battleline
5 x Vindictors (140)*
5 x Vindictors (140)*
10 x Judicators (300)*
- Skybolt Bows
- 2x Shockbolt Bows
- Reinforced x 1

Units
5 x Sequitors (130)*
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)*
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
3 x Annihilators (190)
2 x Concussors (235)**

Core Battalions *Battle Regiment **Warlord
Total: 1980 / 2000 Reinforced Units: 1 / 4 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 106 Drops: 6
Edited by Balthasar

53 minutes ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Just checking the thinking of the Lord Castellant? 

If he's not adding anything specific then would a Knight Incantor not be more useful?

Just curious is all.

Thanks

not sure why you think he doesn't add anything specific, since you can use his ability on top of all out defense / finest hour to counteract rend. For instance, Vindictors with all out defense AND the lantern will save on 2+ against rend 1, or you won't need to use all out defense and save a CP / be able to use all out attack. Also: you can have the lantern on one unit and all out defense on another. Personally I still find him very useful -this might also be because in my area latern of the tempest has been ruled as still working vs MWs on 6s so being able to use it is another plus for the castellant

On 8/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, Marcvs said:

not sure why you think he doesn't add anything specific, since you can use his ability on top of all out defense / finest hour to counteract rend. For instance, Vindictors with all out defense AND the lantern will save on 2+ against rend 1, or you won't need to use all out defense and save a CP / be able to use all out attack. Also: you can have the lantern on one unit and all out defense on another. Personally I still find him very useful -this might also be because in my area latern of the tempest has been ruled as still working vs MWs on 6s so being able to use it is another plus for the castellant

Cant you just add +1 to armour save in general, abilities and CP included ?

3 hours ago, Maturin said:

Cant you just add +1 to armour save in general, abilities and CP included ?

Your maximum bonus after ALL modifiers are counted is +1. So it is after you apply rend. For example, if your base save is 4+ and you get +2 (lord Castellant and all out defence for instance) you will have a 3+ save Vs rend 0 but also a 3+ save Vs rend 1 and a 4+ save Vs rend 2 etc. Basically stacking bonuses to save counteracts rend.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, readercolin said:

Without any support, Sisters will deal more damage than irondrakes and be more maneuverable, in exchange for being slightly more expensive and less durable.  Additionally, sisters get a free "unleash hell" if they get charged.  However, once you start adding support, Irondrakes can surpass sisters - but to do that they need to a runelord, longbeards, and a way to get +1/+1, which is going to be hard to do in a stormkeep rather than in the cities.

Other decent options for the stormkeeps are Phoenix Guard, as with a 4+ ward they are tankier than most stormcast stuff.  That being said, with the Stormkeeps getting bonus holding objectives makes the basic stormcast battleline look fairly nice compared to the guard.  Shadow Walkers are good as a unit that can come down and take lightly defended objectives and force your opponent to hold back.  Sisters of the Thorn can be an option as a mobile cavalry/wizard unit.

Finally, hero's.  Grabbing an Annointed on Frostheart/Flamespyre can give you a really tanky fast moving monster, though they both struggle some with hitting hard.  Dreadlords on Black Dragons can also be decent as a tanky monster, though to really shine they really want to bring the Amulet of Destiny.  Griffons are another option, though again like the dreadlord they kind of want the Amulet of Destiny.  The Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage is also a really solid unit, with 2 solid damage dealing spells and a ranged attack that deals mortal wounds, all while giving itself a +1 to its cast.  That being said, do be aware that its +1 to hit bubble only affects Cities units, so it isn't going to buff your stormcast.  Finally, if you want to meme, you can bring a steam tank (or two), and the steam tanks will still be buffed by an accompanying Lord-Ordinator.

Overall, if I were to bring some cities units in a stormkeep, I would probably start by grabbing a Phoenix.  Unless you are going heavy on Stormcast fast movers, stormcast tend to be rather slow, and adding in a phoenix gives you a fast moving anvil that gives you a solid monster, and can also function in a stormcast deathstar.  Alternatively, if you do have 1 unit of fast movers (fulminators, dracolines, the new dragons), the Phoenix gives you a leader that can accompany them to help function as a fast moving hammer.

If I didn't bring a phoenix, anything else that I bring is probably going to be more for flavor than because it is really going to help the army.  In the current stormkeeps, Cities infantry provide a good option to get more bodies to hold objectives, but the new stormkeep rules that gives your basic units the ability to count as 3 on an objective make that option a bit worse than before.

Great guide.

Based on stuff I had from Soul Wars and stuff I got from Dominion I finally stumbled into a Stormcast Army, and the only purchase I would have to make here is the Phoenix. I'm a bit worried about # of bodies since this is just 105 wounds, vs # of heroes since without the phoenix I'd only have 2. Wondering if folks think that the Phoenix is the right coalition unit, or if I'd be better taking 10 Shadow Warriors + 10 Phoenix Guard for the same price. 

Hallowed Knights Stormkeep: To get the 'Fight on Death' rule. 

320 Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear
290 Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix
200 Lord Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline
280 3 Evocators on Dracolines
210 6 Castigators
290 10 Sequitors
260 10 Vindictors
145 5 Sequitors

6 hours ago, Lhurgoyf said:

Great guide.

Based on stuff I had from Soul Wars and stuff I got from Dominion I finally stumbled into a Stormcast Army, and the only purchase I would have to make here is the Phoenix. I'm a bit worried about # of bodies since this is just 105 wounds, vs # of heroes since without the phoenix I'd only have 2. Wondering if folks think that the Phoenix is the right coalition unit, or if I'd be better taking 10 Shadow Warriors + 10 Phoenix Guard for the same price. 

Hallowed Knights Stormkeep: To get the 'Fight on Death' rule. 

320 Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear
290 Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix
200 Lord Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline
280 3 Evocators on Dracolines
210 6 Castigators
290 10 Sequitors
260 10 Vindictors
145 5 Sequitors

I don't know much about Cities units, but you might want to take this over to the 3rd edition thread to get better visibility.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you know when list is and when do need to make changes? so, I have played this list two times, I won one games and lost one with it, how many times do I need to play this list to determine if is good or bad? 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)*
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Knight-Venator (175)**