AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

It seems to me that removing rerolls was an attempt to speed the game up, and also perhaps reduce some of the “guaranteed to not fail” situations that had become quite common. There were a number of situations where I would go to attack something with a 500 pt assault unit and they would be on a 2+ rr1, and basically take zero damage. Nothing should be so “tanky” that it’s virtually invulnerable. I hope that sort of thing continues to disappear.

Having the majority of an elite army like Stormcast on a 3+ however seems fine to me. We’re almost always outnumbered, and don’t really have a way to replenish our numbers like a lot of other armies do.

Edited by Mark Williams

15 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

I can't believe I read all that and now feel like I understand SCE military organization even less than I did before.

SCE certainly seem like they would be logistically dysfunctional, with units formed at an anachronistically small level and then siloed off into these different branches of leadership and organization despite fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with troops from every branch and school. It's the same thing that annoys me about Primaris Space Marine organization only amped up a hundred fold and applied to a much larger force.

Does anyone who has read a lot of the lore know if SCE attend to their own logistical and support needs, or do they have like... mortals populating most of their fortresses keeping everything running.

I hope it's the former. I find the idea of a Stormcast POG amusing.

Yeah, that's the problem with all the lore of AoS. It's just to much all over the place and in contrast to 40k has no ties whatsoever to anything that can be considered "real" as a reference. When the Old World kinda resembled our own world, just as 40k takes place in our actual galaxy and our actual Earth, I have no idea how to connect to AoS lore, which is why I widely ignored it. I liked the minis and the games, lore wise I stick to 40k :D

About my upcoming game tomorrow - I just went with what I have painted mostly. What do you guys think of that list against Orruks? TBH I have no Idea what I am doing, just mashing things together, that kinda look cool. General idea is to hit things with Evocators and Annihalators on the head and shoot other things with the raptors, while casting things as possible ^^

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Lord Imperatant (160)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (215)
- General
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (280)
5 x Evocators (225)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (185)
3 x Annihilators (190)
The Burning Head (20)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Reinforced Units: 0 / 3
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 79

Edited by Naem
  • Like 1

I played a pretty casual game the other day with a friend who is new to the game.

Going into third I was pretty worried about the coherency changes on EvoCats (especially in 6) but they still absolutely smashed. In Celestial Vindicators the only real loss was Pack Alpha but still got to 2+/2+ rr1 on both with the +1 attack command ability. 1st turn they smashed through 36 chainrasp with ease (poor deployment allowed me to engage 2 units), then in the NIghthaunt double lost only 1 model and killed 22 Grimghast.

Obviously they will face tougher foes but I feel much better than them having actually played with them. Looking forward to the new book.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Still no new leaks about new stormcast? New models, warscrolls, allegiances? Something after dominion? Gw give us something…

It's 40k releases for a couple weeks, Stormcast battletome some time in August

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Still no new leaks about new stormcast? New models, warscrolls, allegiances? Something after dominion? Gw give us something…

They've already given us a massive preview of new minis! :D We'll have to wait for anything else...

• Like 1

Won a great 1.5k game last night against Archaon and Nurgle. Took her 3 turns but Yndrasta managed to pop Archaon. Only the 2nd time in my AoS career I've killed him. She's an absolute beast and, with healing, she came out of it completely unscathed. I ran a combo of models from all 3 editions and was very impressed overall with how the army plays. Roll on the new tome!

• Like 2

I will soon face my friend in an epic and iconic battle: Slaves to Darkness vs Stormcast Eternals (3000 pts).

Here is the build that I planned to play.  I have a lot of figurines still in reserve like the rest of the dominion box, 5 judicators and lord celestant on stardrake.

My strategy is to hurt him from a distance and with magic, while I would hold a solid line thanks to the paladins, the sequitors and Yndrasta.  I know he will most likely play with Archaon and the Varanguard.

What do you think of my build?  Do I have to make any changes? Do you have any strategic advice for the battle?

Thanks you !

Screenshot_20210716-125512_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by Balthasar
Bad quality picture
  • Like 1

Hey guys, i just saw on the warscroll builder that evocators (dracolines and normal ones) can pick a spell from the universal lore.

Have we discussed that here already? Cause it's huge!

"Flame weapon" on the dracolines or even "levitate" to get a fly move and charge (passing above terrain features and enemy units) is a freaking great bonus for them!

If this is something available to us i'll definitely consider a unit of dracoline and a heraldor in a vanguard battalion to get good use of the free "swift" ability.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balthasar said:

I will soon face my friend in an epic and iconic battle: Slaves to Darkness vs Stormcast Eternals (3000 pts).

Here is the build that I planned to play.  I have a lot of figurines still in reserve like the rest of the dominion box, 5 judicators and lord celestant on stardrake.

My strategy is to hurt him from a distance and with magic, while I would hold a solid line thanks to the paladins, the sequitors and Yndrasta.  I know he will most likely play with Archaon and the Varanguard.

What do you think of my build?  Do I have to make any changes? Do you have any strategic advice for the battle?

Thanks you !

Screenshot_20210716-125512_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Sorry for bad quality picture, here is the army :

List Name: 3000 pts vs Slaves to Darkness

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Grand Strategy:

Triumphs:

LEADERS

Yndrasta the Celestial Spear (300) in Vanguard

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (215) in Warlord

General

Command Trait: We Cannot Fail

Artefact: Arcane Tome

Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker

Spell: Stormcaller

Lord Imperatant (160) in Warlord

Artefact: God-forged Blade

Lord-Ordinator (150) in Grand Battery

Knight-Incantor (130) in Warlord

Spell: Chain Lightning

UNITS

5 x Sequitors (130)

Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (130)

Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (130)

Tempest Blades and Soulshields

2 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Judicators (150)

Skybolt Bows

1 x Shockbolt Bows

5 x Evocators (225) in Vanguard

Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

5 x Retributors (205)

2 x Starsoul Maces

x Annihilators (190) in Vanguard

x Praetors (155) in Warlord

x Concussors (235) in Vanguard

ARTILLERY

Celestar Ballista (120) in Grand Battery

Celestar Ballista (120)

CORE BATTALIONS

Warlord

Vanguard

Grand Battery

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

Artefact

TOTAL: 2985/3000 WOUNDS: 158

LEADERS: 5/8 BATTLELINES: 4 (4+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/6 ARTILLERY: 4/6

ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/4 ALLIES: 0/600

9 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

Hey guys, i just saw on the warscroll builder that evocators (dracolines and normal ones) can pick a spell from the universal lore.

Have we discussed that here already? Cause it's huge!

"Flame weapon" on the dracolines or even "levitate" to get a fly move and charge (passing above terrain features and enemy units) is a freaking great bonus for them!

If this is something available to us i'll definitely consider a unit of dracoline and a heraldor in a vanguard battalion to get good use of the free "swift" ability.

I'm pretty sure that they say in the errata that Evocator can only take spells from Lore of Invigoration

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Balthasar said:

I'm pretty sure that they say in the errata that Evocator can only take spells from Lore of Invigoration

Thanks, i didn't paid attention to this on the FAQ first time i read it.
They can only cast "empower" in their warscroll with the exeption of lore of invigoration spells.

Seems fair :)

Love the new praetor models and thinking of how to run them. I know there's conjecture about how they protect Yndrasta so want to avoid running them with her. Also, she's too quick really so only really see them protecting a foot hero. Anyone had any luck with them? I was kinda thinking of two routes - protecting someone like a Relictor to try and secure Pillars of Faith or have them protecting a combat hero to cause merry hell. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Anyone had any luck with them?

I've had them protecting my lord imperitant, as the strategy I'm going for relies on his 7" teleport ability over multiple turns. It's worked against 2 non competitive armies so far, but I'll be facing the likes of Teclis this weekend. We'll see how it goes. They're not bad damage but not cost effective enough to use only as a hammer. They've more been a deterrent from touching the hero ball and keeping their target alive. The profile is nice, but there's just not enough of them to do the damage. I might try a unit of 6 later, just to see how they do as a spearhead.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Love the new praetor models and thinking of how to run them. I know there's conjecture about how they protect Yndrasta so want to avoid running them with her. Also, she's too quick really so only really see them protecting a foot hero. Anyone had any luck with them? I was kinda thinking of two routes - protecting someone like a Relictor to try and secure Pillars of Faith or have them protecting a combat hero to cause merry hell. 

You can also set them to guard someone with a big enough base so that they don't actually have to get into combat. The best way for someone to deal with a hero guarded by praetors is to kill the praetors first. Example is mounted heroes on oval bases, Stardrakes or Tauralons. They're all a lot faster, but since the praetors won't be charging they can run to keep up.

For on-foot heroes, a lot of them seem to have the same amount of fightiness, but I reckon the imperatant is a pretty good choice, even the Gryph-Hound can slightly extend the Imperatant's "base size" to help the praetors stick to him.

• Like 1

I will also be running them with my Lord-Imperatant. I'll be attaching an Arcane Tome to him as well to get extra value from the deterrent factor. The longer my opponent ignores the Praetors, the longer I will get value from a free command ability, 7" deep strike, and a spell.

I hadn't considered running them in a larger group of 6. Might need to theorycraft with that.

• Like 2

Nice one, thanks for the advice people. I was actually leaning towards an Imperatant simple because he's already got 8 wounds. Love the idea of Arcane Tome on him. Had that assigned to an Incantor but makes a lot of sense to spread the love. Giving him Flaming Weapon would also make his Warhammer 3D. He's not gonna be taking on the likes of Nagash but I'm thinking this would be a solid little cluster of mayhem which, with Yndrasta and whatnot on the board, would probably go ignored for a while. Looking like my next game's Thursday eve against OBR so will aim to run it then. 

List I'm looking at, FYI: 

Core Battalion: Battle Regiment

Core Battalion: Warlord:

Knight-Arcanum

Knight-Incantor

Lord-Imperatant: Arcane Tome

Lord-Relictor: Deathly Aura, Soulthief, Translocation, General

Yndrasta

Liberators x5

Vindictors x5

Vindictors x5

Aetherwings x3

Annihilators x3

Praetors x3

Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows x6

Allegiance: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

1,985pts

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the updated stats for units like Prosecutors and the Tauralon, and hoping that the rumors of a pegasus cavalry option are true. Part of me wants to assemble a flying force with the Prime, Yndrasta, and the rest all together, if only for the visual.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lare2 said:

I don’t think SCE have good enough infantry characters to warrant Praetors right now.

Why infantry characters specifically? Because mounted characters are going to want to zip off and have fun. Now, there is a niche use to bodyguard a Stardrake through a turn 1 shooting phase, allowing it to take arcane tome instead of amulet of destiny. On everything else however you are significantly increasing the points value of the character (eg for a Tauralon or Yndrasta they are 50% of the cost).

The combo with an Imperatant isn’t a bad shout, I’m just not persuaded by the current thunderstrike range that an Imperatant is a competitive pick. Maybe once we see Vanquishers, grand hammer Annihilators, or any other unknown alternate build elite infantry that might change, but right now big thunderstrike units in Scions doesn’t seem a worthwhile investment, and an Imperatant buffing one 3 man squad even less so.

Other infantry characters just don’t seem worth protecting. Praetor viability may well go up once we see the Lord Commander or Knight-Judicator.

39 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

The combo with an Imperatant isn’t a bad shout, I’m just not persuaded by the current thunderstrike range that an Imperatant is a competitive pick. Maybe once we see Vanquishers, grand hammer Annihilators, or any other unknown alternate build elite infantry that might change, but right now big thunderstrike units in Scions doesn’t seem a worthwhile investment, and an Imperatant buffing one 3 man squad even less so.

Other infantry characters just don’t seem worth protecting. Praetor viability may well go up once we see the Lord Commander or Knight-Judicator.

problem is: why don't you take a copy of the character for redundancy? possible answer, in some cases you can't: named, already at 6 leaders or the character in question has a trait/atrefact that is funamental to your strtefy. but outside of these situations, i'd take (say) a second lord imperatant over the praetors