AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

The SCE have a whopping 300 points more stuff in that box And it looks generally more synergistic. Shame Kruleboys are saddled with a mounted version of their footboss instead of a powerful unique hero like the SCE get.

wait till the release. theyve got 2+ monsters with tons of output. we re gonna need yndrasta for reals

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

wait till the release. theyve got 2+ monsters with tons of output. we re gonna need yndrasta for reals

Was there a leak I missed? Last I looked they said there were two more monsters, which in all probability are gonna be the same kit so one monster and a variant maybe with a lord. And Warclans already has one of the best monster attack pieces in the game, so until you see the rules, not really much to go on. Could easily be kragnos-tier dumpster unit for all we know, and what we've seen of Kruleboys so far is adequate but not particularly impressive.

Kind of a weird question, but would it be worth it to have liberators with 2 hand weapons? I know the shield might be a +1 save and we don't know the new warscroll, but I've got 10 shields and wanted to bring my total up to 20 libs. Should I get 10 hand weapon guys? Maybe add 5 of each?

Does the weapon matter much? I like the look of the swords better, but not on the dual wielders.

Thanks for any help. For Sigmar!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

24 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

what we've seen of Kruleboys so far is adequate but not particularly impressive.

Huh ... I wonder if the mortal wound thing applies to the monster's attacks? That could be a little spooky. The kruleboyz seem pretty okay. Not going to be a powerhouse faction, but solid. At last that's what I think.

I know it won't work, but I want to try for like 60 bodies in a 2,000pt stormcast build. It amuses me. 

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Yndrasta is really good.

Praetors need to be on the table to use Soul-forged Guardians and the hero they pick has to be on the table too, so you're never going to use Scions on them. Unfortunate.

Yeah that's kinda lame... Can't pick the Prime in the sky. Sad day.

Agree that Yndrasta is really good. Currently she's an auto include for me, but of course, we need to see our new tome. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long.

Sooo any guesses which of our units will still be playable? Kinda hinders my painting atm because I don't want to spend hours painting stuff that will never see the battlefield. Right now I am painting up 12 Raptors with Longstrikes :D

14 minutes ago, Naem said:

Sooo any guesses which of our units will still be playable? Kinda hinders my painting atm because I don't want to spend hours painting stuff that will never see the battlefield. Right now I am painting up 12 Raptors with Longstrikes :D

No way to know until the battletome comes out, though I suspect that it might be difficult to fit 12 raptors into a list given the new reinforcement and coherency rules. Could be wrong though, we'll need to see.

15 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Huh ... I wonder if the mortal wound thing applies to the monster's attacks? That could be a little spooky.

Only if it's an orruk. For example, hobgrots are stupendously bad and a significant part of it (besides their price-tag) is they can't use the venom rule.

Not to get too off topic, given this is the SCE thread.

20 hours ago, jhamslam said:

also goes without saying but the balance in the starting box is bad, like right now SCE just spank the kruleboyz just playing out the box.

Newer players gonna get us nerfed 😆

I'm getting that feeling but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing? Like we get no ranged, so those hobgrot bombs are gonna hurt regardless of the healing I think (even if they don't get the mortals for some reason). That or Dominion specifically will be SCE favored while the starter boxes will be better

7 hours ago, feadair said:

Sequitors get a buff in the new rules. All start of combat abilities happen before units that strike first get to attack.

Was literally just thinking about this... it made ZERO sense the rule did not act like that to begin with.

16 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Kind of a weird question, but would it be worth it to have liberators with 2 hand weapons? I know the shield might be a +1 save and we don't know the new warscroll, but I've got 10 shields and wanted to bring my total up to 20 libs. Should I get 10 hand weapon guys? Maybe add 5 of each?

Does the weapon matter much? I like the look of the swords better, but not on the dual wielders.

Thanks for any help. For Sigmar!

hate to say this again, but: we do not know. you need to wait for our new book to find out

On 6/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, jhamslam said:

also goes without saying but the balance in the starting box is bad, like right now SCE just spank the kruleboyz just playing out the box.

Newer players gonna get us nerfed 😆

I feel like this is ultimately the problem with Stormcast. GW need to try to balance making them decent but not overpowering, and so far have been failing (most units are too weak and Sacrosanct units are too good). AoS isn’t big or popular enough to survive a 9th edition Space Marines problem, where marines are basically the best army in the game because everyone else has to wait anywhere between 3 years later for their book of relatively equal power 

11 hours ago, Naem said:

Like other posters said impossible to tell until we see the new Battletome but potential stonks (in no particular order):

* Stardrakes (monster heroes are good in 3.0)

* Tauralon (monster wizard heroes also good)

* Aetherwings (cheap fliers can melt unleash hell dreams) 

* Celestant Prime (Yndrasta style buff expected eg 4++ ward, also heroes are good in 3.0)

* Dracoths & Dracilines (tough MSU cav counting as x2 for scoring), to a lesser extent Palladors

* Evocators (just as good as before, can still come in 10s, 2” weapons, MW output incredible against MSU)

* Judicators (good shooting units get a buff in 3.0)

* Knight Azyros (rr1s combos well with All out Attack boosting most to hit rolls to 2+) 

* Knights Incantor and Lords Arcanum (can now self heal Spirit Flasks)

* Knight Venator (buff the super arrow with All out Attack and Finest Hour)

* Lord Castellant (save a CP)

* Lord Relictor and Lord Veritant (priests get buffed in 3.0)

* PROSECUTORS (can reliably charge outside 9” so no Redeploy and charge over screens into shooting units to deny Unleash Hell)

* Sequitors in 5s (great little objective holders, good into MSU, buffed by reroll & modifier change)

* Vanguard Raptors (strong shooting is good in 3.0)

Nothing stands out with the other stuff. Potentially Libs will be improved with a 3+ but that remains to be seen.

Notable exception for falling stonks is the Celestial Ballista. Can only buff one of these war machines with All out Defence, and doesn’t stack with Lord Ordinator bonus in any case (or any other source of +1 to hit). Gone are the days of 3+ with multishot vs monsters with Astral Templars. Pretty terrible with Unleash Hell. RIP.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucur said:

Positive modifiers to save cap at +1. Do shields count towards that? Like, does a mystic shield on Liberators with shields take them to 2+? Because if it does, i dread the day i have to fight 3+sv goblins :D

No, shield bonuses are built into the warscrolls profile.

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Notable exception for falling stonks is the Celestial Ballista. Can only buff one of these war machines with All out Defence, and doesn’t stack with Lord Ordinator bonus in any case (or any other source of +1 to hit). Gone are the days of 3+ with multishot vs monsters with Astral Templars. Pretty terrible with Unleash Hell. RIP.

Ballista stonks are not really high to begin with but I'd say that the fact that you can put 3 ballistas and an ordinator easily in the core battalion and get a free additional Unleash Hell (or 2 battalions with 2 ballistas, ordinator and another small hero for 2 additional UH) is not that bad. Having 2 (3) ballistas shoot for a CP on the charging enemy will still do something and require some investment to dislodge them.

19 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Ballista stonks are not really high to begin with but I'd say that the fact that you can put 3 ballistas and an ordinator easily in the core battalion and get a free additional Unleash Hell (or 2 battalions with 2 ballistas, ordinator and another small hero for 2 additional UH) is not that bad. Having 2 (3) ballistas shoot for a CP on the charging enemy will still do something and require some investment to dislodge them.

The ballista battery was still okay in 2.0 I think. 

The problem with Unleash Hell is the -1 penalty meaning they drop from 4s (at best) to 5s. Is that investment worth it for ~8 wounds from 3 ballista?

Actually with an ordinator it would still be 4s. 12 wounds is good. Still think the double battery is too much, but two ballista using Unleash hell still puts out 8 damage which is okay.