AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

28 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

So I have a super strict reading of the Stardrake mount trait "Stormwinged" that makes it incredibly powerful.

For reference:

"After this model has moved, you can pick 1 enemy unit that this model passed across, and roll a dice.  On a 2+ that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds."

FAQ has made it clear that pile ins are moves.

FAQ has also clarified that you can move forward and then backward with a flying model to count as having passed over another unit.

Therefore, with every pile in move, your Stardrake can move over the enemy unit and right back to where it was, triggering this ability.

Thoughts?

My gut reaction is that the ability only counts for "normal moves". I agree the rules feel like they are all over the place right now though. With command abilities being poorly worded and people trying to pull off weird stuff... we are in need of a more updated FAQ pretty bad...

29 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

My gut reaction is that the ability only counts for "normal moves". I agree the rules feel like they are all over the place right now though. With command abilities being poorly worded and people trying to pull off weird stuff... we are in need of a more updated FAQ pretty bad...

I totally understand your trepidation, but GW went out of their way to very clearly explain movement in the new core rules.  If you follow all the rules with no stretching, twisting or interpretatio you wind up with an ability that can be used in the move phase, charge phase and combat phase.

4 hours ago, Richelieu said:

So I have a super strict reading of the Stardrake mount trait "Stormwinged" that makes it incredibly powerful.

For reference:

"After this model has moved, you can pick 1 enemy unit that this model passed across, and roll a dice.  On a 2+ that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds."

FAQ has made it clear that pile ins are moves.

FAQ has also clarified that you can move forward and then backward with a flying model to count as having passed over another unit.

Therefore, with every pile in move, your Stardrake can move over the enemy unit and right back to where it was, triggering this ability.

Thoughts?

RAW? Yes, you are 100% correct.

But if your opponent wants to reach across and slap you for doing so I wouldn't object :P 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Requizen said:

But if your opponent wants to reach across and slap you for doing so I wouldn't object :P 

I feel you but lets be honest when else do those abilities really get used for just about anybody? Even in 40k unless youre on a jetbike its a once per game thing maybe but you still pay for it. This at least makes it more reliable. For the one stardrake we get to use it with wait til a whole unit of hexwraiths is shimmying over our units pulling that bs. 

Because normally its a 7” tax before you can even do it. Gotta be 3 away both start and finish and the model is at least an inch. They have two models spaced an inch which isnt uncommon thats 10 inches base to get one model to do the thing. Too unreliable. Jazzy shuffle in the pile in? Completely reliable. 

Edited by Bozly
Clarifying

So I’ve been working a lot and finally got a chance to play the new units and am wondering if anyone had similar results. I only played against nighthaunt today and it was only 1000 points so keep that in mind and no malign sorcery yet havent assembled it yet.

Evocators are love. 5 of these guys seriously outdid themselves. In the three games we played today i got their spell off once but how hard they hit without it and not use the great staves was satisfying. Also the extra unbind came up more than once. 11/10 almost auto-include

sequitors are really good if you use the command ability on them otherwise they outperform liberators and thats all i have to say about that. Super durable with hammers of sigmar

Castigators we started making jokes calling them uselessitors  i only ran them in a single unit of 3 but if i got lucky they plinked a wound a turn. They held objectives and thats about it. Looking back through i see a lot of people have them in their lists im curious if they perform for everyone else. They are a cheap unit at 80 points and only 15 bucks. And they can be rend 2. They definitely are cost efficient just they did nothing at all for me. 

Lord arcanum is clean. Not much to say that isnt said i think a lot of people agree that his resurect ability is its not broken in a tournament sense but im saying its broken because my evocators just had a hard time losing a model and in combat he either did 9 wounds or 0 there wasnt an in-between.

knight incantor failed her spell a lot or died before i got to use her but i know shes amazing and an almost auto include.

Ballista really really needs multiples or an ordinator. Alone 5 more sequitors or another incantor would do you better. It isnt bad it just needs volume of shots not just one. It did not perform but i can tell its decent just needs more.

Curious to see what you guys thought and if you’ve tried majority sacrosanct and its been succesful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bozly said:

I feel you but lets be honest when else do those abilities really get used for just about anybody? Even in 40k unless youre on a jetbike its a once per game thing maybe but you still pay for it. This at least makes it more reliable. For the one stardrake we get to use it with wait til a whole unit of hexwraiths is shimmying over our units pulling that bs. 

Because normally its a 7” tax before you can even do it. Gotta be 3 away both start and finish and the model is at least an inch. They have two models spaced an inch which isnt uncommon thats 10 inches base to get one model to do the thing. Too unreliable. Jazzy shuffle in the pile in? Completely reliable. 

That's not how you pile-in and you know it. That's fishing for something it's not there.

Allowed? Sure. Unsportmanlike. Obvious. 

Mount Traits are a freebie. If you get the chance to use it once per game, you got your serve. Saying "I paid for it, better find a way to use it" is no excuse for bending rules like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

That's not how you pile-in and you know it. That's fishing for something it's not there.

Allowed? Sure. Unsportmanlike. Obvious. 

Mount Traits are a freebie. If you get the chance to use it once per game, you got your serve. Saying "I paid for it, better find a way to use it" is no excuse for bending rules like that.

Yeah youre completely right i didnt think about that as i wrote it it has to jump the whole model it cant shimmy back and fourth to the same spot. I was also wrong about hexwraiths their thing is movement phase . 

maybe i play with a different crowd that n everyone else. The group i play with wouldnt hesitate to do this if they could and it isnt unsportsmanlike its just rules as written. And even though we really just play for fun we’re harder on each other than any tournament ive played in. So i dont see the sportsmanship angle because my crowd is just “dems da rules” like with the purple sun. It technically can move its ten inches and make a circle and stop where it is. We all mentioned that the second we read it and nobody had a problem with how that works. So i think people would be less upset it about it than you think.

but lets be real. If you can jump a whole stardrake over a unit thats not a solo hero and have space? Even if its a solo hero. Either he doesnt have very many models, which likely. He messed up real bad and didnt space the unit right. Or straight up hes lost that area anyway because he lost so many models an that extra d3 or +1 to hit doesnt matter. That base is huge you need an oasis to land that move. Just stormcast specifically. 

Theres so much stuff that just completely abuses that rule that isnt stormcast that i think we have nothing to worry about.

And imma shift this to the tauralon “the pegalizard” because i dont see the stardrake ability that deals d3 mortals for flying over someone but i know that the tauralon gives the bonus for fairy shark mouth dust. That base isnt stardrake but still big enough to make it hard to land that gap is hard to find. And often at least vs undead that just raise models in combat can block this move from happening all together

Edited by Bozly
Tauralon pegalizardshark.

1 minute ago, Twh30 said:

Any thoughts on this list ? More of a fluff list idea thinking that the stormcasts while cleaning stumbled across allerialle who takes them under her control, to use them to rid her of her enemies.

IMG_0948.PNG

Honestly this might work better as a Sylvaneth list with 2 allied ballistas and a Knight-Incantor. But since you're going for fluff...

Why not go for the Guardians of the Everqueen battalion, it lets you take a bunch of stormcast, but keep Sylvaneth allegiance. Then you can ally in ballistae and lord-ordinator.

Hello,

Regarding the Arcanum rez ability, how do you guys play it?

Say we got a 4 Fulminators unit.
Each one of them has 5hp.

Khorne priest does a 6 MW prayer.

1°) One fulmi dies, one has 4hp left. Arcanum rez the dead guy with 1hp? (so 2 models are wounded in the same unit and i think it's not correct rules wise)

2°) One fulmi dies, get rez with 1hp, then dies again cause of the last MW?

3°) You can't use the Arcanum rez on multiple models unit

Thanks for your help :)

3 minutes ago, Sev said:

Hello,

Regarding the Arcanum rez ability, how do you guys play it?

Say we got a 4 Fulminators unit.
Each one of them has 5hp.

Khorne priest does a 6 MW prayer.

1°) One fulmi dies, one has 4hp left. Arcanum rez the dead guy with 1hp? (so 2 models are wounded in the same unit and i think it's not correct rules wise)

2°) One fulmi dies, get rez with 1hp, then dies again cause of the last MW?

3°) You can't use the Arcanum rez on multiple models unit

Thanks for your help :)

Number 2

Just now, Richelieu said:

Number 2

Thank you ;)

I forgot the next example  :

The same nasty Khorne prayer does 6 MW to a Lord Relictor (5hp).

Relictor dies, get rez with 1hp and we forget about the last MW or does these 6 MW prevent any rez possibility on the Relictor?

1 minute ago, Sev said:

Thank you ;)

I forgot the next example  :

The same nasty Khorne prayer does 6 MW to a Lord Relictor (5hp).

Relictor dies, get rez with 1hp and we forget about the last MW or does these 6 MW prevent any rez possibility on the Relictor?

It is unclear, but the consensus on the forum is he dies, is rezd, and then dies again.

2 minutes ago, Towenaar said:

Because the model was a single unit and was wiped out I think he would rez with 1 wound with the final mortal wound ignored.

If you play it that way then heroes are effectively invincible, which is why most people on here have agreed it should be played the other way. 

2 minutes ago, Towenaar said:

Because the model was a single unit and was wiped out I think he would rez with 1 wound with the final mortal wound ignored.

Just now, Richelieu said:

It is unclear, but the consensus on the forum is he dies, is rezd, and then dies again.

Yay! This situation looks familiar to me :D

I guess, I'll have to agree with my opponents before every game :o 

7 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

If you play it that way then heroes are effectively invincible, which is why most people on here have agreed it should be played the other way. 

I think that's a leap. You can just Arcane bolt them after they have resurrected and they die instantly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

C'mon @Requizen, in a world of Goblins that deal 64 damage and engines of the gods that pump out 140 points of models per turn the Golden Boys need every edge they can get!

Edit: I submitted an FAQ request for it even though RAW is perfectly clear.  

Edited by Richelieu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Towenaar said:

I think that's a leap. You can just Arcane bolt them after they have resurrected and they die instantly.

Assuming you don't have another Lord Arcanum, which I absolutely would if the ability worked that way.  Having to put damage on something from 2, 3 or more different sources per turn is extremely difficult.