AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

What were you guys expecting...? He can't be drastically different from a regular Lord Celestant

I mean, sure expecting anything good is a bad idea, but on the second point: Gavriel is a lord celestant and yet he basically opens up a whole strategic option by himself.

Edited by Marcvs

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

What were you guys expecting...? He can't be drastically different from a regular Lord Celestant

I want him to be as cool and awesome as he is in the novels. 

Stormcast are former mortal heroes reforged into demi-gods, their souls are infused with a fragment of Sigmar's very divine essence and their bodies are remade from the magic of the heavens. They are then equipped with weapons and armor made from holy-arcane living metal, forge by six dwarf demi-god created and trained by Grungni himself. The weapons and armor are also blessed by both Grungni and Sigmar.   Then the stormcast eternals are trained for centuries in the Gladitorium , both individually and collectively.

I want the rule to match the lore, even a little. Please GW

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xking said:

I want him to be as cool and awesome as he is in the novels. 

Stormcast are former mortal heroes reforged into demi-gods, their souls are infused with a fragment of Sigmar's very divine essence and their bodies are remade from the magic of the heavens. They are then equipped with weapons and armor made from holy-arcane living metal, forge by six dwarf demi-god created and trained by Grungni himself. The weapons and armor are also blessed by both Grungni and Sigmar.   Then the stormcast eternals are trained for centuries in the Gladitorium , both individually and collectively.

I want the rule to match the lore, even a little. Please GW

Thats basically the same as the lore for Space Marines but then on the table they get rekted by everything

35 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Thats basically the same as the lore for Space Marines but then on the table they get rekted by everything

I actually wish SCE on competitive tabletop were as good as current Space Marines. 

At least the armoured boys in 40K are solid mid-tier even at the worst, with many chapters(stormhost equivalent) having potential to regularly present themselves at the podium.

SCE on the other hand...

46 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

I actually wish SCE on competitive tabletop were as good as current Space Marines. 

At least the armoured boys in 40K are solid mid-tier even at the worst, with many chapters(stormhost equivalent) having potential to regularly present themselves at the podium.

SCE on the other hand...

True...for being the face of AoS they get treated like the bottom of barrel

1 hour ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

SCE on the other hand...

I think the 1-drop Vanguard Chambers is still seen. That's literally the only one left hanging around though. 

9 hours ago, PJetski said:

Yeah but he is, in a worst way... lesser save, bigger base, more points and a support for the most useless chamber..

Edited by Erdemo86

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

lol nope? Since later half of 8th edition Space Marines get new book and are top of the top of 40k. LOL 

Stormcast are the most detached from the lore army right now. Immortal demigods that have sv 4+ just like guy from CoS which is literally in his underpants. Our guys have the same sv as the guys below. Good ducking job gw. 99120202013_StateTroopsNEW03v2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Luckily (at least from my perspective) no, they don't have the same lore as the space marines.

As for getting rekted, while I agree that SCE are not a top tier army and in a poor state presently, the statement should be qualified as "on the TOP tables they get rekted by everything" because for the rest they can hold their own. I am definitely NOT a great player and I lack experience but I can consistently get my 3-2 / 2-1 with SCE while staying away from shootcast and playing rather skewed lists. While the "glass ceiling" frustrates me a lot, this still means winning most of my games in a competitive setting.

• Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Malakithe said:

?????? their warscroll stats are premium, what are you talking about? It's different when they are rekt because somebody else has 10 overlaying faction rules.  

Obviously I would prefer if Stormcast had stats that matched their lore and the models but they can't release a new special character in 2nd edition that is wildly inconsistent with the current ruleset.

If you thought one special character to save a Stormhost and bring it up to top tier competitive play then your expectations were too high. Hallowed Knights special rules are seriously bad and it will take more than one named character to make them viable.

Personally I am shelfing my Stormcast until they get proper rules. They can (and hopefully will) rewrite the Gardus warscroll when 3rd edition launches. They just did this exact same thing with Illuminor Szeras and the Plasmancer in 40k; they both had awful rules but they were consistent with the 8th edition Necron codex, and they had rewrites in the 9th edition codex.

image.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Evantas said:

I think the 1-drop Vanguard Chambers is still seen. That's literally the only one left hanging around though. 

Heard rumors that AoS 3 will get rid of all battalions in matched play. So even that is gone. Which sucks cause I just bought and finished painting it this week. Probably never going to get to take it to a tournament at all if AoS 3 drops early june.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dream said:

Heard rumors that AoS 3 will get rid of all battalions in matched play. So even that is gone. Which sucks cause I just bought and finished painting it this week. Probably never going to get to take it to a tournament at all if AoS 3 drops early june.

If battalions are gone, we’ll barely note the difference🤣except for vanguard lists!

I’m convinced that there’s still something to personalise a list, like new rules for artifacts and maybe new ability for units.

edit: I bought the new broken realms battalion, black watch, and it’s still in the box, never played...hope to see a new season for judicators at least?🥲😄

Edited by baiardo

11 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Luckily (at least from my perspective) no, they don't have the same lore as the space marines.

As for getting rekted, while I agree that SCE are not a top tier army and in a poor state presently, the statement should be qualified as "on the TOP tables they get rekted by everything" because for the rest they can hold their own. I am definitely NOT a great player and I lack experience but I can consistently get my 3-2 / 2-1 with SCE while staying away from shootcast and playing rather skewed lists. While the "glass ceiling" frustrates me a lot, this still means winning most of my games in a competitive setting.

I also agree with this. My game group runs fairly try-hard/competitive lists/armies and although I've been the underdog using SCE (despite their cries for me to pick up a new army like Idoneth) I still manage to make most games competitive and sometimes pull a win.

When a couple of them tone down lists and take more non-meta armies (e.g. Khorne) I manage to fair pretty well/stomp games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dream said:

We will have a new book by AOS3 launch

• Like 1

Do you think there's any value in running pistoliers in a shooty Stormkeep list? I'm used to running them in CoS with an Azyros nearby and they'd be doing the same thing really - clearing objectives with their ability to shoot, shoot on the charge and then hit stuff in combat. I'm also tempted by gyrocopters to deal with hordes. Only the £ puts me off trying them.

57 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

Do you think there's any value in running pistoliers in a shooty Stormkeep list? I'm used to running them in CoS with an Azyros nearby and they'd be doing the same thing really - clearing objectives with their ability to shoot, shoot on the charge and then hit stuff in combat. I'm also tempted by gyrocopters to deal with hordes. Only the £ puts me off trying them.

If you need mobile firepower you should look at getting some Grunstok Gunhaulers - 10 wound flying cannon that can teleport for only 130 points.

Combos well with a Lord-Ordinator.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the rumors about aos3, in my opinion most of the "OP" armies right now will be leveled:

-no more than 1buff/malus

-no more batallions

-generates CP every turn like ossiarch, yeah!

-reaction to charge is really great for us

only these changes are a great improvement for stormcast, even if they are only the surface of the new ed.

I think we will be at the top again, also new units confirmed in the "aos indomitus box" should place stormcast army in the best spot for variety and strategy.

Edited by baiardo

On 4/23/2021 at 9:43 AM, Erdemo86 said:

Yeah but he is, in a worst way...

in understand your point but no more than 1 buff could hurt us too. No Castellant buff+ staunch defender+ stand your ground charge reaction. Also if you try to charge after scions you need a 9 inch charge if the enemy can retreat d6 inches there’s close to no way of charging in.

Edited by Erdemo86

18 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

in understand your point but no more than 1 buff could hurt us too. No Castellant buff+ staunch defender+ stand your ground charge reaction. Also if you try to charge after scions you need a 9 inch charge if the enemy can retreat d6 inches there’s close to no way of charging in.

on the last point: the leak video explicitly says that you will not be able to use the "retreat" charge reaction if the charge originates from outside 9" (so, deepstrike, as it is now)

4 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

on the last point: the leak video explicitly says that you will not be able to use the "retreat" charge reaction if the charge originates from outside 9" (so, deepstrike, as it is now)

Oh ok didn’t knew that, thx. That’s nice. But not stacking +to save Is right?

Edited by Erdemo86

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Oh ok didn’t knew that, thx. That’s nice. But not stacking +to save Is right?

this is less clear. The video mentions a cap on modifiers (don't remember the exact wording) so it might be. On the other hand, the inspiration might be coming from 40k, where modifiers are capped only for to hit and to wound rolls (so you can still have +3 to "cast" or charge or save and so on). In any case I would say it is quite pointless to imagine how these changes will impact Stormcasts as they are now because in all likelihood we will have a new battletome together with or immediately after the new edition

Have you guys noticed that Gardus is about 10% smaller than regular Stormcast?

You can see it here in the comparison between his shoulderpad and a paladin shoulderpad.

I wonder if this is a one-off event or if they're modifying the scale of future SCE releases

PXL_20210427_030914172.jpg

• Confused 1