AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

This is extremely disturbing if this is what is to come in a new book...utterly garbage and super weird stuff.

4+ save, who is writing this? Where is the quality control? I mean, the normal Lord Celestant is 3+. Why the 6” move? All this with the same lame weapon profiles from 2015...

The special abilities could be OP og total trash, not really a big deal, ****** happens, but the basic profile is just so bad...so bad...

Who looked at the super hero pose and wrote those stats😧

Grimbok

8 minutes ago, Grimbok said:

This is extremely disturbing if this is what is to come in a new book...utterly garbage and super weird stuff.

4+ save, who is writing this? Where is the quality control? I mean, the normal Lord Celestant is 3+. Why the 6” move? All this with the same lame weapon profiles from 2015...

The special abilities could be OP og total trash, not really a big deal, ****** happens, but the basic profile is just so bad...so bad...

Who looked at the super hero pose and wrote those stats😧

Grimbok

he doesnt have helmet which obviously explain 4+ sv and 6 movement... 

/s

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Gardus is good, despite the 5 wounds and 4+ save and low rend/damage weapons. I would go so far to say that he is easily the best Stormcast hero warscroll, especially since he is only 110 points (there isn't much competition for that title). His 4+ save doesn't really matter that much because you don't need him to survive more than one turn.

Re-rollable charges (great for scion drops) and +1 attack for all heroes around him that doesn't cost a command point is a great ability. I could see some kind of gimmick list with a bunch of mounted heroes like LADracoline, LAGC, LCDracoth, Stardrake to repeatedly attack with Martyrs Strength + Cycle of the Storm combo. It's not a meta breaker but it's playable and distinct from other Stormcast lists. 

I don't see him being impactful enough to ever justify playing Hallowed Knights in a competitive game. Playable and good for casual games, which is a fine place to be for a special character.

His base stats are bad and not representative of what Stormcast should be, but that's consistent with every other Stormcast warscroll.  There's a chance it will be rewritten with 3rd edition battletome like they did with some of the Necrons from Indomitus.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Gardus is good, despite the 5 wounds and 4+ save and low rend/damage weapons. I would go so far to say that he is easily the best Stormcast hero warscroll, especially since he is only 110 points (there isn't much competition for that title). His 4+ save doesn't really matter that much because you don't need him to survive more than one turn.

Re-rollable charges (great for scion drops) and +1 attack for all heroes around him that doesn't cost a command point is a great ability. I could see some kind of gimmick list with a bunch of mounted heroes like LADracoline, LAGC, LCDracoth, Stardrake to repeatedly attack with Martyrs Strength + Cycle of the Storm combo. It's not a meta breaker but it's playable and distinct from other Stormcast lists. 

I don't see him being impactful enough to ever justify playing Hallowed Knights in a competitive game. Playable and good for casual games, which is a fine place to be for a special character.

His base stats are bad and not representative of what Stormcast should be, but that's consistent with every other Stormcast warscroll.  There's a chance it will be rewritten with 3rd edition battletome like they did with some of the Necrons from Indomitus.

right now we have so many warscrolls that needs a rewrite it would take 4 books worth of work.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PJetski said:

while a fair analysis, it sucks the first non-Hammers character we get should be expected to support a charge then die

Warhammer has never been a balanced game with a tight rule set... look somewhere else (video games, card games, etc.) if you really want that.

Im not trying to be a ****** here - it has been proven time and time again that Games Workshop generally does not write good rules for their miniature games. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment if you want Warhammer to be a deep, balanced, and satisfying strategy game. I think Underworlds is the only exception and it only became a tight rule set after 3 iterations.

• Like 2

I was surprised to see his terrible Warscroll. If he was at least a 3+ save as the regular Lord Celestant it would feel less crappy, and if his once per game ability was not for heroes only, then it would begin being cool. His primary weapon should at least also be dmg 2, why are Stormcasts hitting like wet noodles compared to any other "regular" heroes?

Still him having a worse save than a basic version seems like a total lack of quality control and really poor effort from someone who does not care at all and wants to write more crazy aelf warscrolls... Yes that was salty ;)

22 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

His primary weapon should at least also be dmg 2, why are Stormcasts hitting like wet noodles compared to any other "regular" heroes?

Dedicated wizards (arcanum, incantor, exorcist) all have a better save and higher damage on average than Gardus, it's all very fun

3 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

i dont think we get a new battletome anytime soon and if we get we will not get updatet warscrolls. I think next Edition Starter Box will be Lumineth vs Vampires or something like that. Maybe GW aims for making Lumineth teh new Posterboys.

The starterbox will contain Bretonian like Stormcast and a new Destruction faction of hobgoblin wolfriders.

So get your hopes up for good new SCE rules and an new battletome (fingers crossed).

• Confused 1

Sorry to change the topic, but I'm wondering if somebody could help with a question I have regarding Stormkeeps.

If I take a Cities of Sigmar unit as part of the army, using the 1 in 4 ability, can I also take Cities units as allies?

Do the Cities units I take as part of the 1 in 4 benefit from Stormcast hero command abilities? Obviously the allied ones wouldn't.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

Do the Cities units I take as part of the 1 in 4 benefit from Stormcast hero command abilities? Obviously the allied ones wouldn't.

Yes but only those from warscrolls. You can't use warhost command abillities on CoS units. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

Warhammer has never been a balanced game with a tight rule set... look somewhere else (video games, card games, etc.) if you really want that.

Im not trying to be a ****** here - it has been proven time and time again that Games Workshop generally does not write good rules for their miniature games. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment if you want Warhammer to be a deep, balanced, and satisfying strategy game. I think Underworlds is the only exception and it only became a tight rule set after 3 iterations.

Then they really need to start dropping that premium price tag down if this is to be expected.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Yes but only those from warscrolls. You can't use warhost command abillities on CoS units. 

Having just read the Morathi errata, I'm not sure about that. It says they count as Stormcast Eternals for the purposes of the ability. Now in the Storm host section of the SC book it says that you pick a Storm host and then every unit with Stormcast Eternals in the army gets that host name unless they have another one. Technically they get Stormcast Eternals when using the ability and should get the Storm host title for the duration of the ability.  

Well, this just pretty much confirms that Stormcast are currently exactly what GW wants them to be: terrible.  If we do get a new battletome soon, it's going to be this same pillow fisted and fragile profile for our units.  This pretty much confirms to me that GW wants Stormcast to suck to appease all the Stormcast haters.  Our faction has more or less been sacrificed to stave off the the haters.  It's total bs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Celestantpants said:

Well, this just pretty much confirms that Stormcast are currently exactly what GW wants them to be: terrible.  If we do get a new battletome soon, it's going to be this same pillow fisted and fragile profile for our units.  This pretty much confirms to me that GW wants Stormcast to suck to appease all the Stormcast haters.  Our faction has more or less been sacrificed to stave off the the haters.  It's total bs.

Gardus is powerful compared to other Stormcast, the problem is that Stormcast are not what they should be.

To be fair, if they have plans to rewrite Stormcast rules to make them more elite then they wouldn't release a 3rd edition model into the current 2nd edition ruleset. It would be very strange if Gardus had a 3rd edition statline that was drastically stronger than a regular Lord-Celestant.

In the past GW has released models right before a new edition with bad rules consistent with the current edition, and then later updated those rules after the new edition launched proper. The most prominent example of this are the Necrons in Indomitus.

If you want to discuss what Stormcast could be like if their rules matched their models better, check out my thread here:

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Gardus is powerful compared to other Stormcast, the problem is that Stormcast are not what they should be.

In the past GW has released models right before a new edition with bad rules consistent with the current edition, and then later updated those rules after the new edition launched...

I'm somewhat optimistic too. 

Also, if this is 3.0 Gardus (I.e. warscroll written with 3.0 changes taken into account) , it *might* mean that all heroes might be 4+. 

Which also hopefully means that something like Staunch Defender becomes a std ability for all Stormcast. 

Though I really hope not cuz Gardus still hits like a pillow. 

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

The starterbox will contain Bretonian like Stormcast and a new Destruction faction of hobgoblin wolfriders.

So get your hopes up for good new SCE rules and an new battletome (fingers crossed).

really hope this is a hard rumor because Bretonnian aesthetic is the last one I'd like to see for Stormcast...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

Having just read the Morathi errata, I'm not sure about that. It says they count as Stormcast Eternals for the purposes of the ability. Now in the Storm host section of the SC book it says that you pick a Storm host and then every unit with Stormcast Eternals in the army gets that host name unless they have another one. Technically they get Stormcast Eternals when using the ability and should get the Storm host title for the duration of the ability.  

unfrotunately you are arguing the exact of opposite of what is explicitly clarified by the Morathi Designers commentary: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/07piqlUzoxwMH4UR.pdf

image.png.1b3a9a011b95bcf559bd40faeff6611f.png

Edited by Marcvs
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

unfrotunately you are arguing the exact of opposite of what is explicitly clarified by the Morathi Designers commentary: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/07piqlUzoxwMH4UR.pdf

image.png.1b3a9a011b95bcf559bd40faeff6611f.png

Thanks, I had missed the commentary.

I really wish they would combine the designers commentary with the errata, it would make things so much easier. For a company that basically wrecks every edition with so much additional paperwork and rulebooks, they never seem to learn.

That kind of makes Stormkeeps with Cities units pretty useless. I don't see why they even bothered including them really as there are almost no worthwhile benefits. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

That kind of makes Stormkeeps with Cities units pretty useless. I don't see why they even bothered including them really as there are almost no worthwhile benefits. 

Yup. They are useless. They can literally benefit from 4 CA which are better run, 2x bravery immunity and 1+ to hit XD. Its sadly a joke just like all other SCE rules. Broken Realms were so ****** terrible for SCE. Which is kinda annoying how broken things IDK get... 

And duckoff to all people saying Staunch Defender is broken. IDK get it on each turtle for free XD. With defensive eells getting 2+ sv with rend immunity xD. 

Edited by Nizrah
  • Sad 1