AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

13 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I'm leaning towards Staunch + Ignax, personally. Mirrorshield shuts down shooting armies, but generally so does a 1+rr (healing) save with a 4+++ MW save.

If you think you need Lens and you have a Battalion, you can go Lens on a foot dude, and then Mirrored Cuirass on the Stardrake. 5+++ isn't as good as 4+++, but you get both effects. 

Given that I'll have the comet & stardrake for potential -2 casting, 4 unbinds, and 2 dispel scrolls I think I should be fine against magic. I have an Arcanum on GC for the healing spell (can hit the D6 heal easier with +2 casting) so I may not need the Lens at all.

I'm thinking Ignax's Scales might be the way to go here, since I'm only really worried about dying to a mass amount of mortal wounds.

I am taking a Grand Convocation battalion to give one of my Incantors the Staff of Focus to drop a meteor, and then use the Cogs and cast her unique spell.

Edited by PJetski

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

Given that I'll have the comet & stardrake for potential -2 casting, 4 unbinds, and 2 dispel scrolls I think I should be fine against magic. I have an Arcanum on GC for the healing spell (can hit the D6 heal easier with +2 casting) so I may not need the Lens at all.

I'm thinking Ignax's Scales might be the way to go here, since I'm only really worried about dying to a mass amount of mortal wounds.

I am taking a Grand Convocation battalion to give one of my Incantors the Staff of Focus to drop a meteor, and then use the Cogs and cast her unique spell.

Phew buddy, that's 1450 once you have all that, quite the tight list, not even counting min Battleline. I guess you're at +3 to cast the Comet, but dang. 

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Phew buddy, that's 1450 once you have all that, quite the tight list, not even counting min Battleline. I guess you're at +3 to cast the Comet, but dang. 

And the comet does +1mw to each target it hits :)

It's a tight list but the plan is to drop a meteor and Pendulum on one objective, push Stardrake + wizards + Castellant towards the other one, and use Liberators to drop in where necessary.

It only works if the Stardrake is immortal, which is why this artifact choice is so important :P

57 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

How on earth did you all decide on your stormhost? I thought I was settled on my decision until I actually got the battletome, but now I'm really torn because I like the lore, colour schemes and modelling potential for about 4 of them and it's also hard to shake the idea of cooking up one a late-striking host from wholecloth. This is so much harder than I thought it would be!

Anyway, I'm completely new to SCE, so I have a couple of noob questions if you don't mind. One of those is Judicators; Starting with Soul Wars etc, I already have Castigators, should I look into Judicators as well? I like the models and the longer range of their bows looks like it might be useful, but I've no idea how they're currently considered or how the two stack up. Olso on the subject of shooting, I know people were worried about longstrike Raptors being ruined by LOS! when it was first revealed, but since they deal MWs on unmodified 6s now, are they back on top of the sniping game? They look like a good investment, but I'm coming to the army from a place of never having used anything that shoots (Bloodbound, Deathrattle, Flesh-Eaters) so I might just be overawed at the idea of doing anything in the shooting phase at all.

I'm going full ASTRAL TEMPLARS. I've been painting with their colors since last year and I love their stories in the books. I think the stormhost released fits the way they are portrayed in the stories. Bear in mind I'm not a competitive player AT ALL so I'm going to put every crazy idea on the table, specially because there's a lot of monsters and monster/heroes running around here in my area. 

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Doubtful, there are more Wound sources than pure MW sources, and the 6+ is fairly minor in either case. It's nice to have, and definitely of the Stormhosts one of the least bad Traits, but it's not quite Staunch.

Yes I've run it for a few games. It's not bad, but it's not as good as Staunch was.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I'm leaning towards Staunch + Ignax, personally. Mirrorshield shuts down shooting armies, but generally so does a 1+rr (healing) save with a 4+++ MW save.

If you think you need Lens and you have a Battalion, you can go Lens on a foot dude, and then Mirrored Cuirass on the Stardrake. 5+++ isn't as good as 4+++, but you get both effects. 

Agree.  Especially in the new world of "unmodified 6s" where that mirrorshield does nothing to protect you against the shooting that does mortals.  

21 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Agree.  Especially in the new world of "unmodified 6s" where that mirrorshield does nothing to protect you against the shooting that does mortals.  

It still turns off Skyfires and Kunnin Rukk, to be fair, though I don't know if those are still reasonably priced options or not.

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

It still turns off Skyfires and Kunnin Rukk, to be fair, though I don't know if those are still reasonably priced options or not.

At 220 points and damned no longer giving+1 to hit, I think the days of skyfires worrying stardrakes are over.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, Freejack02 said:

The point is that, for his 140 cost, you would get more damage out of a 3rd ballista (and save 40 points in the process). 

If Nothing is -1this is true, but once things are -1 to hit it changes the math.  You go to an average of 1.6 wounds with three ballistas and 2.2 with two ballistas and an ordinator. With Nurgle, DoK, and all heroes running around getting -1 to hit, this is a consideration. Yes, 3 Ballistas and 2 Ballistas plus an ordinator are the exact same amount of wounds dealt on average , as long as there are no negatives, it is 40 more points for the same outcome, but as soon as there are -1s to hit rolling around it changes things. I like the ordinator as I often use the ballistas to take out things such as necromancers hiding behind skletons. Not to mention, an ordinator can take artifacts, his command ability is still amazing, despite not being as good as it was, and he can score objectives in three places of power. 

Hi all. I've just started a SE army and I wanted to ask everyone's opinions on what I should think about for a 1000 point starting force. 

I've read everyone's lists and strategies for 2000 point armies but I was wondering how much of that translates to 1000 points.

To be clear, I'm not looking for an army list (although I'll happily take one). Instead, I'm looking for SE specific suggestions like: fewer larger units vs more smaller units, infantry vs cavalry, how much ranged to take, is it worth taking a 'big' general or is it wasted points? Things like that.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer about general strategy and tactics.

SCE not good on 1k points. 1k  SCE list  its everytime compromise.  u lose horde army on mission or cant kill anybody.

now i want try 1k list: 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura 
- Artefact: Soulthief 
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 45

or

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (340)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Steel Pinions

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

Edited by azmarus
  • Like 1

In competitive setting, a list with 4 dracoth, an azyros with lantern of the tempest and staunch defenders, 2x5 judicators and a heraldor always did great things for me

You are basically immune to every shooting army in the game as well as any army without mortal wound, have mobility, range attacks everywhere, potential mortal wounds on 3 of your 4 units (all if you give the special crossbow to the judicators) and no one like to be charged by fulminators in 1000 pts

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Divine Light prayer should help reducing those nasty 6s mw ! 

• Like 1

Hi, this is my take on a Soulstrike Brotherhood army. I usually run an Aquilor+Hunters+Palladors list, so for 120 points, two small units of Castigators (which are bad but a bit better with the bonus) and a Ballista I already wanted to field, I get a CP and the additional artifact.

I wanted to try Anvils with Longstrikes, I know I would get a lot more mileage from a bigger unit, but I will likely use the CA in the combat units beyond turn 1.

I think it's an interesting list, biased towards shooting but with some magic and CC punch into the mix.

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (340)
- Mount Trait: Steel Pinions
Lord-Relictor (100)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Castigators (80)
3 x Castigators (80)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
5 x Evocators (200)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Soulstrike Brotherhood (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000

2x Hunters, 2x Castigators and the Celestar Ballista on the sky, rest on the ground.

My questions for you are:

-What would be better for that list, Lord Relictor or Castellant? Relictor would have Blessed Weapons (to buff Palladors before they teleport, Longstrikes or Judicators) and could heal someone brought back by Cycle. Lord Castellant would bring the hound to help guard the backline from deepstrikes, and use his lantern on one of the redeploying units (Lord Aquilor, Palladors), on the LAoT before he goes forward or on the backline units. Both sound useful.

-Who should get the crappy artifact? Then, which one would you recommend? Please, if possible, no Lens. I'm already sick of seeing it in lists ?. In fact, please don't suggest Realms artifacts (I hate that they are usually clearly better than Battletome ones).

-What spell sounds better for the LAoT? Thundershock sounds potentially powerful for close-range support. Stormcaller to put pressure on lone heroes is also cool. Celestial Blades could help my few CC units, and Speed of Lightning could be useful (but for a single turn, when my CC units drop).

Thanks for any help! I think this kind of collective thought helps us all to polish the potential of the army.

Edited by DanielFM
  • Like 1

Can anybody pleeease tell me Paul Norton's paint scheme for Knights Excelsior from the battle damage SC article? Or ask him on twitter? I want a small allied contingent of needlessly brutal Stormcasts looking just like that  (and blood splatters) and the guides on Warhammer TV or elsewhere I saw look vastly different.

The Hallowed Knights command trait is kinda funny.

If your general dies you can you can pile in and attack immediately (on a 2+). As per the core rules, when your general dies you can pick another general and generate a new command trait immediately. There is no restriction on whether your hero already attacked or not this turn, so you can attack, die, and immediately attack again. Nominate another hero to be the general and repeat the process. Keep doing this until you run out of heroes.

I wonder if you could make a list with a lot of combat-oriented heroes suiciding their way to a posthumous victory.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

If your general dies you can you can pile in and attack immediately (on a 2+). As per the core rules, when your general dies you can pick another general and generate a new command trait immediately. There is no restriction on whether your hero already attacked or not this turn, so you can attack, die, and immediately attack again. Nominate another hero to be the general and repeat the process. Keep doing this until you run out of heroes.

I wonder if you could make a list with a lot of combat-oriented heroes suiciding their way to a posthumous victory.

As funny as that sounds. I don't think that you'd be able to do enough for it to matter.

19 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Remember, in the GHB2, matched play, page 49, under the "Army Roster" section, it says that in matched play, you do not pick a new general when your general dies, overriding the core rules.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goddin said:

Remember, in the GHB2, matched play, page 49, under the "Army Roster" section, it says that in matched play, you do not pick a new general when your general dies, overriding the core rules.

That's pretty easy to miss, thanks

Can anyone confirm the number of Stormsmite Greatmaces you can have in a 5 man squad of Sequitors? I've heard people say 2 regular guys can have one and the Sequitor-Prime can have another for 3 total, but the description does say 2 in 5 models can take them so I think 2 is the limit?

5 minutes ago, Towenaar said:

Can anyone confirm the number of Stormsmite Greatmaces you can have in a 5 man squad of Sequitors? I've heard people say 2 regular guys can have one and the Sequitor-Prime can have another for 3 total, but the description does say 2 in 5 models can take them so I think 2 is the limit?

Read the Sequitor Prime section, it confirms they can carry a greatmace "in addition to any other models in the unit that can do so". It ignores the 2/5 restriction. 

Did anyone notice that hammer Prosecutors got nerfed when the warscrolls were combined? The Prosecutor Prime now specifically lists the weapons that are eligible for an extra attack, and the Grandhammer/Grandblade aren't on it, meaning it loses the extra swing it normally would get. Trident, Javelin, and Celestial Hammers are the only options that get a bump (meaning at least the Trident effectiveness isn't diminished). 

Has there been a more unnecessary nerf in SCE history?

• Sad 2

So I have a super strict reading of the Stardrake mount trait "Stormwinged" that makes it incredibly powerful.

For reference:

"After this model has moved, you can pick 1 enemy unit that this model passed across, and roll a dice.  On a 2+ that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds."

FAQ has made it clear that pile ins are moves.

FAQ has also clarified that you can move forward and then backward with a flying model to count as having passed over another unit.

Therefore, with every pile in move, your Stardrake can move over the enemy unit and right back to where it was, triggering this ability.

Thoughts?

Edited by Richelieu