AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Ok, waiting for the Broken realms FAQ and winter points, this is my take on the stormkeep liberators spam. I wonder whether going 3 drops is worth it, or if I should go down to 2 and take Astral Templars (or no stormhost and cunning strategist on a veritant general), because of course outdropping the opponent is close to necessary in this army

Hide contents
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Veritant (110)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Divine Light
Lord-Veritant (110)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
- Prayer: Bolster Faith
Runelord (90)
- General
- Command trait: Cunning Strategist
- Prayer: Translocation
- Artefact: Spellshield
30 x Liberators (480)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 6x Grandhammers
30 x Liberators (480)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 6x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
6 x Gryph-Hounds (120)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (120)
Stormkeep Patrol (130)
Stormkeep Patrol (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 193

I would drop the judicators and switch them for 5 libs and take the triump. I love this list but i cannot seem to win with it. If you play it let me know how it went.

18 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Stormkeep/Scions split is an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing how they expand upon it in the 3rd edition battletome... though I know I will ultimately be disappointed yet again.

I'm starting to think that the 2017 battletome with those wonky stormhost battalions and Aetherstrike was actually the best time to play Stormcast.

Always when i read trough this old battletome i miss it so badly, yes it was wonky at best but in recent times it would make for some fun playz. That harbringer chamber concept was something i loved deeply. Today it would be good but not as opressive how it used to be because today people have insane tricks and damage aswell. 

33 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Stormkeep/Scions split is an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing how they expand upon it in the 3rd edition battletome... though I know I will ultimately be disappointed yet again.

I'm starting to think that the 2017 battletome with those wonky stormhost battalions and Aetherstrike was actually the best time to play Stormcast.

Our tomes , even stormkeep, are the definition of fun police. COS guys but no abilities or spells or prayers on them. Wardens of the Stormkeep but not Stardrake. The Scions guys could also use more allegiance abilities. Considering every faction gets like 5 different ones now

Edited by jhamslam
  • Sad 1

I'm not convinced by Stormkeep Patrol at all tbh, especially using it to try and pin your opponent into their deployment zone. I just don't think either Liberators or Sequitors are going to be able to stand up long enough to make that worth bothering with.

Anything that can hit really hard in this game is just going to chew through them in one or 2 combat phases. You definitely need something backing up the patrol to make use of that relatively small speed bump.

21 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I'm not convinced by Stormkeep Patrol at all tbh, especially using it to try and pin your opponent into their deployment zone. I just don't think either Liberators or Sequitors are going to be able to stand up long enough to make that worth bothering with.

Anything that can hit really hard in this game is just going to chew through them in one or 2 combat phases. You definitely need something backing up the patrol to make use of that relatively small speed bump.

From my experience with the skyborne slayers list, this seems a bit extreme, unless you only count going 4-1 or 5-0 as "success". For that, I still have to see any SCE list other than the 1-drop vanguard.

Sure, some armies will just obliterate 120 wounds very quickly, but with some smart placing (tagging the corner of units) even just blocking them in their deployment, a situation like: your turn 1 -> their turn 1 -> their turn 2 (your 120 wounds are dead) -> your turn 2 -> your turn 3 can lead to victory (after going through those 120 wounds there's still 60-80 more holding objectives).  More importantly, and this is the reason why I wanted to try this style, armies based on shooting and magic will only have their own turns to do damage so, for instance, I had a lot of success against lumineth: those 30 mortal wounds per turn would have been a disaster for an elite build (and they outrange even raptors), but with this build it was no big deal, and they have no teleport or flying. Another appeal was to be hero-agnostic: I am tired to imagine strategies which only work in the unlikely event of keeping those 5/6 wounds heroes alive for more than 1 turn.

The biggest problem are unwinnable battleplans (like the ones that pjetski mentioned). On that I have no answer other than thinking: hey, this is better than losing 2 Stardrakes in one turn 100% from mortal wounds.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

From my experience with the skyborne slayers list, this seems a bit extreme, unless you only count going 4-1 or 5-0 as "success". For that, I still have to see any SCE list other than the 1-drop vanguard.

Sure, some armies will just obliterate 120 wounds very quickly, but with some smart placing (tagging the corner of units) even just blocking them in their deployment, a situation like: your turn 1 -> their turn 1 -> their turn 2 (your 120 wounds are dead) -> your turn 2 -> your turn 3 can lead to victory (after going through those 120 wounds there's still 60-80 more holding objectives).  More importantly, and this is the reason why I wanted to try this style, armies based on shooting and magic will only have their own turns to do damage so, for instance, I had a lot of success against lumineth: those 30 mortal wounds per turn would have been a disaster for an elite build (and they outrange even raptors), but with this build it was no big deal, and they have no teleport or flying. Another appeal was to be hero-agnostic: I am tired to imagine strategies which only work in the unlikely event of keeping those 5/6 wounds heroes alive for more than 1 turn.

The biggest problem are unwinnable battleplans (like the ones that pjetski mentioned). On that I have no answer other than thinking: hey, this is better than losing 2 Stardrakes in one turn 100% from mortal wounds.

im still trying differant lists every week. But most of the people i play just nuke these 2x30 or 1x30 liberators. The closest games i had right now is  stormkeep patrol on an objective and try to hold it of and not alpha striking. But i cannot help but hate that i feel like taking 9 longstrikes to even give my liberators a chance.. I love lib bombs but if i cannot take wizard or other mortal wound spam dudes out quickly these games are over before i can hit turn 3.  Most games where over when i got double turn against me. Where i skyborne slayers it doenst matter because i can keep stuff of the board. In stormkeep patrol im already engaged closely turn 1 and open for a double turn against me. This is the biggest weakness i fase most of the games. 

We do however got a lot of potential with this battalion if we get any buffs in a new sce book or aos 3.0. Immagine liberators being stronger baseline then stormkeep patrol can finely do them justice. 40mm bases have to mean something because right now its just preventing me from getting enough attacks through to hurt people.

Fasing a katakros bonereaper list tonight. with my 30 libs/9 longstrikes.

thinking of @Nizrah list, I am kind of curious of trying this

Spoiler
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- 6x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
- Allies
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (130)
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon
- Allies
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
- Allies
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 330 / 400
Wounds: 131

The idea being to have all your hammers in the sky (ballistas and evos) and to be able to clear the screens with the ballistas/gunhauler to let the evocats get to the juicy targets. The only thing is that I would really like to have a battalion for the +9 to charge

3 hours ago, Feii said:

Wanted to ask about a fun list. Could I field 2 Wardens of the Stormkeep battalions and generate a lot of battlepoints then pump my hero-ball with gavriel sureheart and chare accross the battlefield? 

if it's for fun, why not? :D just remember that you still need to have an enemy unit within 12" to be able to declare a charge

• Thanks 1

Fun fact about sequitor prime and two handed weapon loadout. The assembly manual doesn’t even provide a 2-handed option for your prime..ok, it easy quite to workaround. But still, isn’t that ridiculous? A new player would build the less favorable version, without knowing.

20 minutes ago, Milano said:

Fun fact about sequitor prime and two handed weapon loadout. The assembly manual doesn’t even provide a 2-handed option for your prime..ok, it easy quite to workaround. But still, isn’t that ridiculous? A new player would build the less favorable version, without knowing.

I always suspected that this was because of a last-minute rules change that they made after the sculpts were completed.

Considering i'd never thought Liberators would drop from 100 pts and the recent stormkeep rules i'd say anything goes.

I'm not sure the space marine treatment is what we want, though, as there are still people who think Evocators are brokem... and then see how SM players get treated in 40k, i know a bunch of people who flat out refuse to play even against friendly lists. The hyperbole and general adversity to the faction are unreal. And that's something SCE suffer from already, even with a weak book. Give us meta dominant rules and we're the black sheep sigmarine power gamers that destroyed the old world amd took little Erma's lolly on the way out.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I am relative new to AoS think I started a year ago with the Soulwars Box. I have the following collection.

Lord-Arcanum (This guy is named Artemis Eld and is my absolutely favourite AoS model I have)

Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

2x Knight Incantor

Lord-Ordinator with Grandhammer

Lord-Exorcist

9 Castigators 2 Primes

5 Evocators

21 Sequitors 4 Primes one with Grandmace 7 regular I think with grandmace

Celestar Ballista

Lord-Celestant

Lord-Castelant

Lord-Relictor

Knight-Heraldor

10 Liberators 2 prime one grand hammer

10 Judicators 8 regular bows one crossbow one big cross bow no primes they were ebay buy that friend gave me

6 Gryph-Hounds

5 Retributors

In boxes I have

Lord-Aquilor

15 Vanguard-Hunter

6 Vanguard Raptors

6 Aetherwings

6 Gryph-Hounds

3 Vanguard Pallantor.

I play them as Anvils of the Heldenhammer cause I loved them in Soul Wars novel.  And I had them painted in those colours. I usually like to play them as pure chamber. Either all Sacrosanct or all Warrior. I usually play at my friends place and due to size of his dinner table we usually play 1000 points games. We go up to 1500 but not often.

My regular list is
Lord-Arcanum General with Deathly Aura and Staff of Azyr or Gravesand Broch with Chainlightning spell

10 Sequitors

5 Sequitors

Hailstorm Battery
( Lord-Ordinator with Soulthief, 3 Castigators and Ballista)

1CP.

My question is what do you guys think of the collection and what would you add given that I play 1000 points game and like one in five goes to 1200 or 1500? Do you think playing pure chamber is viable in a friendly game or should I just give up and mix them?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Im wondering what was GW thinking writing this rule: 

- Mortal Auxiliaries: You can use SCE CA on CoS unit in your army. 

This is our complete list of CA we can use on CoS units to benefit this rule:
- Lord Celestant - +1 to hit in melee 
- Lord Ordinator - Bubble of bravery 
- Lord Celestant on Dracoth - same as LO. 
Thats all folks, 2 CA (3) which all are ummm rather useless... 

3 hours ago, Nizrah said:

Im wondering what was GW thinking writing this rule: 

- Mortal Auxiliaries: You can use SCE CA on CoS unit in your army. 

This is our complete list of CA we can use on CoS units to benefit this rule:
- Lord Celestant - +1 to hit in melee 
- Lord Ordinator - Bubble of bravery 
- Lord Celestant on Dracoth - same as LO. 
Thats all folks, 2 CA (3) which all are ummm rather useless... 

Good money on that being future proofing for when we get an updated battletome. I imagine they'll toss more command abilities our way.

It's also possible that they meant for it to work with Stormhost command abilities but didn't check to make sure that the verbage agreed.